Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I'm looking for a good home sound system that will basically be music only, played from a Macbook. If it was Bluetooth or something it would be great and I don't need any home theater stuff, it will just be for music. It would also be good if it was something low-profile but still powerful if I need it to be.

Basically I'd like to be able to turn on my Bluetooth or whatever where I am our flat and play music through the speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

1) I am using a separate receiver box.

I originally tried just hooking up directly to the TV itself (red/white audio cables).

On this tv, I used your advice, so I have the HDMI that goes from cable box to the TV, and then an optical cable from the soundbar to the direct tv box.

Wait, you have an A/V receiver? You didn't mention... What brand/model? Is it connected at all right now? How? Perhaps it would be best if you drew us a diagram because I'm not getting much sense out of what you're writing right now.

nwin posted:

So two questions now:

1) What did turning off aquos link do?

2)Is there a way I can use the same remote for changing the channel/using the direct tv guide/changing the volume settings withOUT switching from DTV to AV1 all the time?

Right now I'm seeing my only option is to use the TV's speakers during normal use, and when I turn a movie on, switch to the soundbar settings.

1) Aquos Link is the same thing as HDMI-CEC (google that if you like). It's basically a way for the DirecTV box to pass remote signals on to the next connected box (AV receiver or TV). Conversely, HDMI-CEC enables your TV to forward remote signals like volume changes back to the receiver. The point is to let you switch remotes less often. Disabling it may have been counterproductive in your case, but I figured it was worth checking.

2) There might be a way, but I don't see why you're switching the receiver's input away from "DTV" all all, if that's the port where the DirecTV box is connected. So please elaborate on that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this and you're actually talking about the TV's "DTV" input which is usually the internal tuner in the TV? But I don't see why you'd use that if you have an external DirecTV tuner.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baw posted:

I'm looking for a good home sound system that will basically be music only, played from a Macbook. If it was Bluetooth or something it would be great and I don't need any home theater stuff, it will just be for music. It would also be good if it was something low-profile but still powerful if I need it to be.

Basically I'd like to be able to turn on my Bluetooth or whatever where I am our flat and play music through the speakers.

How big is your flat? I think Bluetooth would have problems with range, unless we're talking a really small studio apartments or something.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

It's not huge, about 80 square meters but yeah I guess Bluetooth doesn't have that much of a range. I'd really like a wireless solution so we don't have to plug in whenever we want to use the speakers.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

How big is your budget? Any specific music style you listen to more than others?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wait, you have an A/V receiver? You didn't mention... What brand/model? Is it connected at all right now? How? Perhaps it would be best if you drew us a diagram because I'm not getting much sense out of what you're writing right now.

1) Aquos Link is the same thing as HDMI-CEC (google that if you like). It's basically a way for the DirecTV box to pass remote signals on to the next connected box (AV receiver or TV). Conversely, HDMI-CEC enables your TV to forward remote signals like volume changes back to the receiver. The point is to let you switch remotes less often. Disabling it may have been counterproductive in your case, but I figured it was worth checking.

2) There might be a way, but I don't see why you're switching the receiver's input away from "DTV" all all, if that's the port where the DirecTV box is connected. So please elaborate on that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this and you're actually talking about the TV's "DTV" input which is usually the internal tuner in the TV? But I don't see why you'd use that if you have an external DirecTV tuner.

Sorry, by receiver I meant the cable box from direct tv.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

How big is your budget? Any specific music style you listen to more than others?

I'd be ok with spending a thousand dollars or so, but I'm not sure what the average prices for these sorts of things are. I'd like something good that I won't have to replace for a while. As far as music styles, I listen to everything from Rick Ross to Elton John and good bass is important. I'd like to have the speakers in the kitchen/dining room and living room, which probably makes up about half of our square meterage. My biggest problem is I'm not even sure where to start looking.

baw fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wirecutter has a thing on Bluetooth speakers. There's some options there.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Awesome that looks like a pretty good starting place. Airplay or Sonos seem to offer what I'm looking for.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Any suggestion on a good earphones for working out/running? I tried the Yurbuds Infinity Pro. While I like that the buds are secured in my ears, the sound quality is bad/muddy. I like something that has a similar concept (with mic, volume control and fast forward/rewind buttons on the cord) but better sounding. Bluetooth wireless is an option as I'll be using it with an iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

I'd like something good that I won't have to replace for a while.

e: Never mind, I'm an idiot who can't read requirements. A stereo receiver and pair of good quality bookshelf speakers with external Bluetooth adapter will run you for about $300. Can provide details if needed.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 13, 2013

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Nooo Hob I saw your post earlier but didn't have a chance to respond and your set-up seemed kind of like what I was looking for. It doesn't look like there's one answer but I'm looking more for general ideas of where to start. I appreciate the help.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Short list:

Denon DRA-397 from accessories4less.com
Pioneer SP-FS52 or SP-BS22 speakers
Belkin Bluetooth receiver
Wires

Totals for ~$400 if you go with floorstanders and ~$300 with bookshelves. Polk 10" subwoofer optional if you really like bass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

Short list:

Denon DRA-397 from accessories4less.com
Pioneer SP-FS52 or SP-BS22 speakers
Belkin Bluetooth receiver
Wires

Totals for ~$400 if you go with floorstanders and ~$300 with bookshelves. Polk 10" subwoofer optional if you really like bass.

Since he said bass is important to him, he really should be going with the 12" Polk 505. The 10 inch models really lack on the low end. I really wouldn't call subwoofers optional with the pioneer speakers, since they only have 5 inch drivers.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I think I'll either go with that or a Sonos set up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Anyone know what port the Denon iPhone app uses to connect to the receiver? Practical use for being able to access my receiver from the Internet is limited, but I see the potential for some great practical jokes on my roommate.

edit: Oh, well, looks like there's numerous reasons you can't connect to a receiver from the Internet. The app won't even let you load it without a WiFi connection.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 13, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

baw posted:

I think I'll either go with that or a Sonos set up. Thanks for the help everyone.
Keep the Airport Express in mind if you go the AirPlay route, I think they're $70-80 on the Apple refurb store.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Any reasonably priced "designer" sound panels out there or at least a really good how to on making my own? Also while I know sound panels are to tame reflections, will these help quiet my theater room at all and/or is there something I can do without having to put up vinyl walls or some other crazy poo poo. Just trying to keep the wife happy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Any reasonably priced "designer" sound panels out there or at least a really good how to on making my own? Also while I know sound panels are to tame reflections, will these help quiet my theater room at all and/or is there something I can do without having to put up vinyl walls or some other crazy poo poo. Just trying to keep the wife happy.

Treatments are for inside the room. They won't really affect the sound escaping at a measurable level. To soundproof a room you pretty much need to take it down to the studs. Double drywall, decouplers, special heating/ac ducts, and power receptacles and door.

If you're wanting to tame reflections, and bass peaks and nulls, http://gikacoustics.com/ is pretty reasonable on price. There is also those Ebay Studio foam vendors. They're cheap and only deal with high frequency stuff, but people have good measurable results with them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Also, low frequencies tend to be felt/heard easier, so you may want to arrange your sub a bit differently. From moving it away from walls, to putting it on the other side of the room, to just eqing it. Have brick walls on one side? Move it over to that area instead of drywall/studs. Excessive bass is generally what drives people nuts 9 out of 10 times.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone actually use HD radio? I actually listen to a lot of terrestrial radio, and my favorite station has an HD feed. If there's a significant improvement in fidelity, I wouldn't mind picking up a component receiver.

I can't find many options besides car head units, though. The best thing I see is a Coby for $50 on Amazon, but Coby doesn't scream, "quality" to me

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Hi, I am based in the UK and I am currently looking at getting a DAB/Digital Radio for the kitchen in my flat. When I started shopping around, I thought it might be neat to get one that can also connect to internet radio and/or do music streaming from other devices. At the very least, I would want an auxiliary port to connect phones/mp3 players.

I've come across the Roberts Stream 205 Radio, which is being sold on Amazon UK for £125 ($200). It's fairly pricey, but it seems to have all the features I am looking for. Apparently they're even working on making an Android remote control app to go along with the iOS one they already have, which I could use with my phone.

Has anyone used one of these radios before and have any thoughts about them, or even have other recommendations?

Thank you very much for any help!

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
I'm currently looking for an affordable DAC (or external soundcard) with USB->RCA line out, for my office PC setup into integrated amp to speakers.
No games, 2 channels out, primarily for music and secondarily for movies. Preferably no drivers and no bloatware.
I have my eyes on these two:
http://schiit.com/products/modi
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/music-streamer-ii

Are there any DAC's similar to these regarding price and performance?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Fiio e10 will do that, and double duty as a headphone amp. You'll just have to pick up a mini to RCA cable.

Wait, I totally forgot about the behringer uca202. People love that thing.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 21, 2013

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
In the market for a new computer speaker setup, willing to spend ~$1000. I need a computer speaker setup that outperforms my current Logitech Z-5500's for both music and gaming. I don't know if an all-in-one setup is worth it or if I should go through the trouble of buying separate components (I know nothing about this stuff). I've done some research on the Z-906's and they don't seem like they are the successor to the 5500's like Logitech was aiming for.

I want 5.1 setup, a quality and loud bass, and satellites that are good for music and gaming. Something I'm definitely going to miss is the 5500's control console, which is small and perfect for volume adjustment vs doing it through Windows, and I doubt I'm going to find a setup with something like that.

Anyone have any recommendations?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Wait, I totally forgot about the behringer uca202. People love that thing.
Yeah I was gonna mention the Behringer (or the UCA222 if you want red). It's like $20-$30 and has done well in testing iirc, although I remember the headphone port supposedly lacking, but irrelevant in this case. It works fine as a simple DAC for an amp/speakers over RCA.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

baw posted:

This was already answered, but since it's relevant, I'm actually in the market for something similar, but more portable.

My wife wants to be able to play her music anywhere in the house. She's not an A/V nerd like I am, so sound quality is not of the utmost importance, but I would like to set her up with something she can easily transport from room to room and just as easily play what she wants.

We were thinking of getting something that can easily hook up or dock with an iPod Touch and can be remote-controlled.

In my mind, I'm picturing something like one of those all-in-one stereo speaker & dock gizmos, but I'm not really familiar with this spectrum of products so I have no idea if I'm barking up the wrong tree or what brands would actually be worth the money (if any).

Would appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

My wife wants to be able to play her music anywhere in the house. She's not an A/V nerd like I am, so sound quality is not of the utmost importance, but I would like to set her up with something she can easily transport from room to room and just as easily play what she wants.

Jawbone Jambox or Creative D100 are worth looking up. B&W Zeppelin if you find one for cheap. All portable speakers have the problems related to small physical size, so none of the listed choices probably satisfy someone who wants to listen with concentration. As background noise they're ok.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that sounds like the perfect use case for a portable Bluetooth speaker like those, there's a really wide range of options out there. You can connect them to the Mac (or PC) itself, no need for an iPod touch in between.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cool, I think I'll look into those. What's an effective range for Bluetooth wireless speakers, anyway?

I've also been recommended the Sonos Play:3 plus wireless bridge since that allows you to control your music via an Android/iOS app. Reviews seem positive. Any thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bluetooth is like 100 feet in optimal conditions for high power devices, but expect more like 10-20 in all reality.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I'd figure around 20-30 feet realistically. I have a Jambox and get about that much with it and my iPhone, although I have no clue how MacBook BT range compares.

DizzyBum posted:

I've also been recommended the Sonos Play:3 plus wireless bridge since that allows you to control your music via an Android/iOS app. Reviews seem positive. Any thoughts?
Seems like it'd work fine for your use I guess, although more details on what you want usage wise might help. One issue is that you need to be on a LAN to use it, but if it'll be entirely for home use that's not a big deal, and range wouldn't be limited by your computer/device (just by the range of your network, which should be much wider). It looks like it has access to streaming services built in which is nice since you wouldn't need another device to stream music to it. Otherwise I guess you need separate software for it vs Bluetooth being built in to everything.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah I'd figure around 20-30 feet realistically. I have a Jambox and get about that much with it and my iPhone, although I have no clue how MacBook BT range compares.

Seems like it'd work fine for your use I guess, although more details on what you want usage wise might help. One issue is that you need to be on a LAN to use it, but if it'll be entirely for home use that's not a big deal, and range wouldn't be limited by your computer/device (just by the range of your network, which should be much wider). It looks like it has access to streaming services built in which is nice since you wouldn't need another device to stream music to it. Otherwise I guess you need separate software for it vs Bluetooth being built in to everything.

It's primarily for my wife. She wants to listen to her MP3s anywhere in our apartment.

She usually manages her music in iTunes anyway, and this Sonos device is apparently compatible with that. Plus we already have a little iPod and an adapter for long car rides. Oh, and I did like the streaming service availability too, as I'll sometimes throw a few bucks at Rdio if I run out of monthly free music.

I'm in IT, so it goes without saying that I have a home LAN. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I kind of feel like you could replace "in IT" with "a goon" and that sentence would still work a lot of the time :v: (at least in the techy subforums). Just mentioned that in case she'd want to use it away from home, with the portable nature of the speaker and all.

Another alternative: a bunch of AppleTVs and/or AirPort Expresses and TVs/speakers everywhere! I think I'm partially set up for this myself actually, got TVs in most rooms and AppleTVs on them, and an APx hooked up to a table*. Another APx and speaker set or two and I think my whole house would be covered for music if I wanted. Anyway they're $99 new but like $75-85 when they're on the Apple refurb store. Not exactly the route you were originally looking for but the intended result is...somewhat the same, music in whatever room, plus around the whole place if you want.

*cheap transducers are fun :haw:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, I'd rather have one good system and one portable piece of crap unless you have several listeners. Having some background noise in bathroom is nice, but for the price of several bad speakers you can usually get two decent ones. That's why the cheap one is portable, right?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Trying to set up a receiver in my home office, nothing fancy but can't seem to get it to work.

Pioneer VSX-1019AH receiver
Polk Audio SurroundBar3000
LG 32" LED tv
Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable
Xbox 360/Xbox

I'm trying to use the SurroundBar with the receiver rather than directly through the TV. The soundbar has either RCA output or digital audio, the receiver has speaker connections for 7.1 but only Optical In (although it says it's "assignable"?). I bought a RCA to speaker connection splitter but that hasn't seemed to do anything and same goes for the optical.

Any suggestions or am I just SOL/a moron? Thanks in advance.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sticksy posted:

Any suggestions or am I just SOL/a moron? Thanks in advance.

You can try connecting the soundbar to receiver via RCA to 3,5mm cable. Alternatively you could connect the soundbar to your TV via optical, which would probably be the smarter thing to do.

Why do you have a soundbar and a receiver? Soundbars are typically meant to function as standalone units.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Hob_Gadling posted:

Why do you have a soundbar and a receiver? Soundbars are typically meant to function as standalone units.

Yeah I know it's not the typical setup but unfortunately since the home office is relatively small, the area around the TV and receiver is pretty tight (the Polk was the only decent one I could fit that wasn't too big) and bookshelf speakers wouldn't really fit. I was familiar that soundbars are usually standalone but figured there would be a way to make it work for my situation. I'll retry the optical and see if I can make that work.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Could you describe your current setup as accurately as possible? Everything connects to receiver which connects to TV which connects to soundbar, and TV is set to output the sound via optical out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I understand what a pre-amp does but I don't understand why you'd need them in a regular home audio setup. Note: I am not talking about a phono pre-amp, just a regular pre-amp.

For example, if I have a stereo receiver, why would I ever need a pre-amp? I am asking because I often hear people talk about needing them in their setups. I just don't understand why.