Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm so happy that Karl Urban is doing a tv show where he is a future cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwxg534yAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, but it's on Fox, so it will be canceled by the end of the first season...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Oh an interesting looking Sci-Fi show on Fox? So 4 episodes in it gets bumped to a lovely timeslot and vanishes after the first season :smith:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

marktheando posted:

In the comics they are trained from age 5 and aren't allowed to form relationships. They have very little time off- usually just a rest in the sleep machine (which compresses a nights sleep into 20 minutes) between shifts, with 8 hours natural sleep per week. So yes, Judge Dredd is a virgin.

And how!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

And how!

Hahaha holy poo poo this is why I have always loved Dredd.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mu Zeta posted:

JJ Abrams show, it'll struggle for 5 seasons before finally ending with a bizarre scenery shift in its last season.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BexGu posted:

And how!

We needed stuff like this in this movie.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
Oh man that is great, there must be a personal clean-up squad for all of Dredd's wet dreams about fingering the law.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So I guess there is a sequel... of sorts.

http://2000adonline.com/news/10-09-2013/you_ready_rookie/

quote:

A year after Karl Urban blazed onto screens as Judge Dredd himself, the Judge Dredd Megazine continues the story with an exclusive comic book sequel!

Dredd: Underbelly picks up where the critically-acclaimed movie left off, with Judges Dredd and Anderson fighting the tsunami of crime on the mean streets of the dystopian Mega-City One.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
So is this Arthur Wyatt guy a good writer? I mean either way I'll buy the drat thing if it for even the slightest chance it will help a movie sequel to be made, but it would be good to know it has a shot at being decent.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I liked the Samizdat Squad stuff he did, but he's not a particularly memorable 2000AD writer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's no way that Fox show with Urban has a chance because it look expensive as hell. Its not like Continuum where you only need like one minute of future scenes per episode. Fringe almost died early because of the big budget, I just think its a mistake because very few shows are instant hits in a way that will justify that kind of budget.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Basebf555 posted:

There's no way that Fox show with Urban has a chance because it look expensive as hell. Its not like Continuum where you only need like one minute of future scenes per episode. Fringe almost died early because of the big budget, I just think its a mistake because very few shows are instant hits in a way that will justify that kind of budget.

What, really? I was just thinking how light on effects they can make it. You're never going to see Urban's roboleg in "action" (and it looks like he's wearing one grey legging anyway) and his robot partner just looks like a regular dude, even on the assembly line.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

What, really? I was just thinking how light on effects they can make it. You're never going to see Urban's roboleg in "action" (and it looks like he's wearing one grey legging anyway) and his robot partner just looks like a regular dude, even on the assembly line.

But compared to any non-scifi show, it's and extra expense every episode. Anytime they have to show a CGI skyline they either have to reuse footage or spend more money. If it goes the super procedural route, like CSI, they might be able to pull it off, because you save a bunch of money by having 95% of scenes take place on the same set. Combine this with Fox, the geniuses who think that shows need to be action and special-effects heavy to get viewers, and you have a recipe for "this show was not an amazing hit and cost too much money" within half a season.

For example, Joss Whedon's Dollhouse was scifi but had a premise that kept the show very light on special effects. Fox made them add a motorcycle chase to the pilot. That's just one example I know of, but that's a huge chunk of money, that, contrary to Fox exec's opinions probably didn't have any effect on viewership or ratings. Whether the show was poo poo is irrelevent when Fox thinks that viewership and ratings are purely a result of putting money on the screen. See also Terra Nova, a show about people from the future trying to survive in dinosaur times, which cost FOUR MILLION DOLLARS PER EPISODE but was horribly stupid/generic and uninteresting.

The problem is that scifi,in general, appeals to people who enjoy "what if?" type ideas, while many executives, not just at Fox, think that it appeals to people who like special effects. This actually a made up demographic that does not exist. When you spend a bunch of money on special effects and leave the story and characters bare-bones and mediocre, you bore everyone.

Successful scifi shows often have built-in ways to mitigate the costs of showing scifi concepts on screen AND decent to well-written characters WITH GOOD CHEMISTY. Stargate SG-1 and X-Files, which are the two longest running scifi shows ever, both suffer from tromping through the same forests outside of vancouver for 10 seasons, but it isn't a big deal because the quality of the stories and characters makes up for it.

All of that said, Almost Human reminds me of my favorite scifi cop show Total Recall 2070, in that it has an almost identical premise. I can't wait.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That trailer was a roller coaster. It started out and I was really digging it but then when the sassy rebellious android came into the picture I realized its just a dumb CSI buddy cop show.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
As long as there is a shirtless Karl Urban at some point, my rear end will be in a chair watching the show. Hell I still remember him being Cupid (and other roles) in Herc / Xena shows way back when. Sure he's a little older now but he still got it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Successful scifi shows often have built-in ways to mitigate the costs of showing scifi concepts on screen AND decent to well-written characters WITH GOOD CHEMISTY. Stargate SG-1 and X-Files, which are the two longest running scifi shows ever, both suffer from tromping through the same forests outside of vancouver for 10 seasons, but it isn't a big deal because the quality of the stories and characters makes up for it.

All of that said, Almost Human reminds me of my favorite scifi cop show Total Recall 2070, in that it has an almost identical premise. I can't wait.

BSG is the one I think of right away. You knew sci-fi poo poo was going on all around them but every set was just a dark grim room/corridor. It worked because it fit with the tone the show was going for, and like you said the characters and the writing were good.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

SouthLAnd posted:

I just caught this on Netflix the other day and was pleasantly surprised, I think I'll watch it again real soon. I thought I read that the budget wasn't very big (maybe just compared to big summer blockbusters anyways), but it didn't show to me. I thought the effects were great.

I wonder how many people the judges execute on a weekly basis. I mean, they did away with all those pesky time consuming juror trials right? And they're still not keeping up with crime?

Just saw this too. Netflix should pay for a sequel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ghostwritingduck posted:

Just saw this too. Netflix should pay for a sequel.

No, it wouldn't be the same.

I mean, just watch Judge Minty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

A Netflix funded sequel would be even lower-budget.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Wade Wilson posted:

No, it wouldn't be the same.

I mean, just watch Judge Minty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

A Netflix funded sequel would be even lower-budget.

Why are you basing your assumption on an extraordinarily well produced fan short which won't have anything to do with a possible sequel?

Also Netflix haven't been pulling any punches with their own-produced material. House of Cards was one of the most expensive series made last year.

You're weird.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Trump posted:

Why are you basing your assumption on an extraordinarily well produced fan short which won't have anything to do with a possible sequel?

Did you bother to actually read my post? I said any Dredd sequel funded by Netflix would be put on an even lower budget than that fan film (because Dredd cost $45 million to produce and only made back $37 million). Netflix is not going to fund anything at a level that fans would like because it would result in a loss for them.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Wade Wilson posted:

Did you bother to actually read my post? I said any Dredd sequel funded by Netflix would be put on an even lower budget than that fan film (because Dredd cost $45 million to produce and only made back $37 million). Netflix is not going to fund anything at a level that fans would like because it would result in a loss for them.

If, and that's a big if, Netflix decided to produce a sequel, they wouldn't cheap out. They've poured a huge wad of cash into their last 4 originals, why would they all of the sudden make some cheap poo poo? And ofcourse they would spend more money than they did on the fan-film. House of Cards cost $4+ million per episode.

It might be cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to tell.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just for accuracy, I think the budget as stated by Spacey was "$100million for 2 seasons".

I'd like to see a Dredd series with that budget, or more. But a sequel film would also be nice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it appears that Netflix has the right philosphy with these originals. They know if they cheap-out now while its still in the beginning stages then people will write them off and not give future projects a chance.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The Long Walk is when a old Judge moves to the Cursed Earth to bring law to the lawless. It's not mandatory; those who retire with honor are allowed to teach at the Academy of Law (can they retire altogether and become civilians?). Is this sort of like a loophole in the rules? As I understand, the Cursed Earth is technically under MC1 jurisdiction and there are no minimum physical requirements for Judges who want to patrol there. Judges who can't imagine themselves in a desk job choose the Long Walk, as lonely and unrewarding as it may be.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I'm going to say yes, since we've seen a few judges in the comics who chose to become civilians after certain relatively minor breaches of the code of conduct, mostly romantic in nature, it's also a common thing with cadets who fail in a non-lethal manner. The thing is most judges can't dream of living a civilian life and would in fact prefer to take the long walk and dispense law until their last breath over teaching in the academy. You might notice in the comics that most of the judge tutors in addition to being older judges have prosthetics of one sort or another.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snak posted:

But compared to any non-scifi show, it's and extra expense every episode. Anytime they have to show a CGI skyline they either have to reuse footage or spend more money. If it goes the super procedural route, like CSI, they might be able to pull it off, because you save a bunch of money by having 95% of scenes take place on the same set.

I think you're underestimating the extensive use of green screened sets on tv and over estimating the cost. To use your own example, any time they're outside in CSI New York or Law and Order there's extensive green screening used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Also note all the usual tricks are used to keep the action scenes shown in the trailer inexpensive: Only two or three people actually on screen at once so they don't have to make as many costumes, lots of "let's move away from or talk about that huge battle instead of showing it," etc. I mean yeah obviously there's a bigger budget to initially make all the fancy pants outfits, future technology stuff, etc. but it's definitely doable.

Other than that though, agreed, this looks awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I think you're underestimating the extensive use of green screened sets on tv and over estimating the cost. To use your own example, any time they're outside in CSI New York or Law and Order there's extensive green screening used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Also note all the usual tricks are used to keep the action scenes shown in the trailer inexpensive: Only two or three people actually on screen at once so they don't have to make as many costumes, lots of "let's move away from or talk about that huge battle instead of showing it," etc. I mean yeah obviously there's a bigger budget to initially make all the fancy pants outfits, future technology stuff, etc. but it's definitely doable.

Other than that though, agreed, this looks awesome.

I never said that non scifi shows don't have a lot of S/VFX, and I am aware of how much green screening is used. The issue is that a scifi show often has significantly more art assets and VFX in addition to all the ones they would normally have. With few exceptions, scifi is always more expensive because it require more original art assets and sometimes more makeup.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

I thought he was pretty awesome right out of the gate in The Rundown. A criminally underrated movie in my opinion.

It's called 'Welcome to the Jungle' here and yes i agree, he shredded that movie.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Count me another now in fear of THE LAWWWWWW.

Fabulous movie I really didn't give enough credit to -- and chose to skip in the theaters due to memory of the Stallone crapshoot and a very, very anemic marketing campaign. Heck, I barely remember seeing one trailer for it. I've read a little bit of Dredd here and there, but have never been a lover of comics at all and so never got into it. I might, now. The standout points for me:

1) Fairly good basic action movie. The gunfight/fight scenes weren't ludicrously long and drawn out the way the modern genre seems to do so often, and it doesn't pile on tricks and memorable locations and gimmicks. It's particularly nice because a sci-fi setting has to resist the temptation to use gimmicks harder than a normal setting. Also nice because the normal buddy-cop dynamics are off kilter, and Anderson is actually pretty good at her job of being a motherfucking psycho. It's rare to see a buddy cop where one buddy is female and never once needs overt rescuing.

2) Manages to be gory as hell with a point and somehow without being too gratuitous. What I mean is this: when the movie wants to emphasize the awfulness (or surreality) of something, it doesn't hesitate to shower us with gore or a slo-mo shot of a guy's cheek getting ripped open. But it doesn't insert that awfulness into every place it might concievably exist, or linger lovingly on things like the bodies at the base of Peach Tree.

3) Manages to be extremely political without torturing the audience about it. I need to watch again to get some of it, but some of the cinematic parallels and nods were very nice. Both Dredd and Ma-Ma get on the intercom, Dredd and Ma-Ma both torture others to obtain their aid or information they need, etc. Only some more politically attuned members of the audience would be tuned in to the white phosphorous Dredd uses on the balcony...things like this are nice nods to giving people who want to do so a bit of interpretative meat to chew on while soldiering on with the movie and not driving home the satire/meaning at its expense. Even the more blunt scenes, like at Kathy's apartment, the way the narrative treats them leaves the audience to draw their own conclusions about Dredd and Anderson's attitudes on the whole thing.

4) The soundtrack was excellent. It is tempting to give action movies really epic or heart-thumping sound tracks, and the Dredd soundtrack walks a fine line between in-your-face (like when Dredd and Anderson emerge from Peach Tree) and subtle (like in some of the shootout scenes).

5) The pacing and timing were spot-on. We live in an era of the bloated two-and-a-half-hour epic, and it's refreshing to see a film which clocks in at barely an hour and a half and yet fulfills all its narrative and character goals in a satisfying way.

And for the comics loving people in here: did you like the way the Mega-City was portrayed? The little impression I had of the comic aesthetic and the earlier Stallone movie were that things needed to be a little more Blade-Runner or Corusant (spelling? the planet-city in Star Wars?). for what it's worth, the way the mega-city looked really really drew me in. I lived in China for a while and the mega-buildings as the "anchor structures" of a chaotic street-level culture really rang true.

Other stuff the movie touched on in a way I found interesting and would love to hear about from people who thought about it more or compared it to the comics: surveillance culture, the devaluation of human life, subversive racial narratives. Maybe some other stuff I'll think of on a second watch.

It wasn't universally awesome, though. The movie had some serious issues in the way it treated technology (it strains belief that the judges don't have better radios than that, for example, or that they use wrist communicators even when they live in a world of voice-controlled smartguns and self-healing spray). I also found (despite Lena Hadley's terrifying performance) Ma-ma to be a kind of....meh...villain. It was good that she didn't engage in over the top rants about a master plan and had no conquer-the-world stakes, but her sheer viciousness made it hard to find the battle between the Judges and her engaging. The film had serious holes when it came to the corrupt Judges and the real ones, what a lockdown procedure is, etc -- but these are all just MacGuffin/Plot Device issues we don't think about too hard as an audience while the film is going on, so they're not a huge deal. I'll probably come up with a few other problems -- either of the nitpicky type of the Big Stylistic Issues type when I watch it again (tomorrow!), but they seemed few. That might be because of the very very low expectations I had going in, though.

Is there any more current word on a sequel? It's absolutely sad I didn't realize how good this was when it was out and see it in theaters, and Wiki is unclear about most things except that it didn't make it to $50m, which was the studio goal for a sequel.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 1, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BrotherAdso posted:

Is there any more current word on a sequel? It's absolutely sad I didn't realize how good this was when it was out and see it in theaters, and Wiki is unclear about most things except that it didn't make it to $50m, which was the studio goal for a sequel.

It's getting a comic continuation, and for what it's worth there is a VERY slight hope for a sequel due to the fact that it did exceptional business on DVD/BD/VOD.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ma-Ma is just your average cutthroat gangster, albeit a powerful one. She fought the Judges because she wanted to go down in glorious battle (I read an article that describes her as an old shark waiting for somebody to come take her out).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I finally got around to re-watching it having seen it in the cinema. If anything it's better than I remembered, and my disappointment at a lack of sequel confirmation has been renewed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've been watching Almost Human, its got Karl Urban as the lead in it. The last couple two episodes have had some Dredd-isms in it. But I really want them to just dump any misguided hopes they have of this not being Dredd and just go "gently caress it, lets make Dredd the TV show." and drop the whole CSI-ish poo poo that plagues these kind of shows.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563480#i0,p0,d0

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

BrotherAdso posted:

And for the comics loving people in here: did you like the way the Mega-City was portrayed? The little impression I had of the comic aesthetic and the earlier Stallone movie were that things needed to be a little more Blade-Runner or Corusant (spelling? the planet-city in Star Wars?). for what it's worth, the way the mega-city looked really really drew me in. I lived in China for a while and the mega-buildings as the "anchor structures" of a chaotic street-level culture really rang true.
Its different in a million ways, none of which matter because it gets the spirit of Dredd the character bang on. I haven't talked to a single fan who dislikes the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Facebook earlier: EPIX recreates a major gunfight from Dredd with puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmnm9V547g

:neckbeard:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw this on Facebook earlier: EPIX recreates a major gunfight from Dredd with puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmnm9V547g

:neckbeard:

That kicked rear end, I'd watch a whole Dredd Puppets movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I've been watching Almost Human, its got Karl Urban as the lead in it. The last couple two episodes have had some Dredd-isms in it. But I really want them to just dump any misguided hopes they have of this not being Dredd and just go "gently caress it, lets make Dredd the TV show." and drop the whole CSI-ish poo poo that plagues these kind of shows.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563480#i0,p0,d0

I just watched the third episode of this show and it involved Dredd, I mean Urban, ascending a tall building controlled by gunmen with his rookie partner and without backup.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The Dredd puppet needed a more pronounced frown, like the Walter puppet that lovely comedian uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I just watched the third episode of this show and it involved Dredd, I mean Urban, ascending a tall building controlled by gunmen with his rookie partner and without backup.
Other things I noticed:
-"Boring conversation anyway" (star wars but still)
-The interrogation scene was pretty similiar to when Avon was getting interviewed by Dredd

• Locked thread