Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chip Cheezum posted:

Has anybody else heard any new messages during loading screens after beating the game? Normally during the loading screens you'll hear a character shout "The Wonderful 101!" but after beating it I got Laambo pouting and talking about how he hates the Wonderful 101, but I've only heard it once. Are there any others like that out there?

There's one with Gimmie, Vorkken and Laambo and his brother

Gimmie just laughs and calls them pathetic and Laambo and his Bro complain about their team name and whine about having to say it

I also think I heard Young Nelson/Original Red but I wasn't paying full attention and haven't heard it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Operation 9 is pretty awesome but the starfox parts really suck. Unfortunately they're, like, 2/5s of it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
New Tips and Tricks on the Platinum blog.

Nice that they gave some tips for Operation 6-B.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Doc V posted:

I'm pretty sure I first heard that one before beating the game (around operation 5 or 6, I think?), so you probably just need to reach certain points in the story to unlock them. Either way, the only other unusual loading messages I remember hearing are P-Star beeping and Vorkken telling you to join the Guyzoch.

Pretty sure I've heard Bayonetta's voice as one.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I'm probably overlooking something, but Vorken is completely destroying me in the second part of 006-C

First half on top of his ship goes fine. Block the hand and hammer, damage him. Dodge the gun and whip, run away when he double jumps for tombstone or when he blocks and his swords comes out. Try to be up high when he bombs you so that the glider doesn't hit you.

Second half, when you fight on top of the Virgin Victory, nothing seems to work. There is no range to get away from tombstone and the sword, but worse the shockwave from tombstone cannot be jumped over for some reason. I jump over sword, but then still all my guys go down and I pick them up. There is no hand attack to exploit and when you block hammer he immediately follows it up with a second strike that cannot be blocked at all.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

BioTech posted:

I'm probably overlooking something, but Vorken is completely destroying me in the second part of 006-C

First half on top of his ship goes fine. Block the hand and hammer, damage him. Dodge the gun and whip, run away when he double jumps for tombstone or when he blocks and his swords comes out. Try to be up high when he bombs you so that the glider doesn't hit you.

Second half, when you fight on top of the Virgin Victory, nothing seems to work. There is no range to get away from tombstone and the sword, but worse the shockwave from tombstone cannot be jumped over for some reason. I jump over sword, but then still all my guys go down and I pick them up. There is no hand attack to exploit and when you block hammer he immediately follows it up with a second strike that cannot be blocked at all.

Hero time and energy converter make this fight a lot more manageable, since you gain battery for hitting his little guys. Hero time is super useful since you can only really block two of his attacks.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

SombereroLad posted:

Hero time and energy converter make this fight a lot more manageable, since you gain battery for hitting his little guys. Hero time is super useful since you can only really block two of his attacks.

I defeated him eventually, by just using Noodle Soups the whole fight.

Have to be honest, I was blown away by this game at first but all those little annoyances are starting to add up. For sure the Vorkken fight was me sucking at the game, but the shmup level was absolutely terrible, I still can't get over how ever turtle fight is just using hammer and blocking until you get the Hammer Rising and now 007A has godawful platforming with a very long beginning where you can only use 10 Wonderful ones, meaning gun is useless, one hit takes away your power and you often can't even block.

It really is a waste of a wonderful game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioTech posted:

Have to be honest, I was blown away by this game at first but all those little annoyances are starting to add up. For sure the Vorkken fight was me sucking at the game, but the shmup level was absolutely terrible, I still can't get over how ever turtle fight is just using hammer and blocking until you get the Hammer Rising and now 007A has godawful platforming with a very long beginning where you can only use 10 Wonderful ones, meaning gun is useless, one hit takes away your power and you often can't even block.

There are other options for the turtle fights. You don't even need to use hammer if you don't want to. It's actually more effective to bait and stun them in certain cases. As in the Vorkken fight, this is a result of you, not the game.

in 07 you can recruit enemies to pad yourself out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I just picked this game up, had some credit at gamestop and traded in some other titles, got it for 20$.

gently caress anyone who gave this game a score below 90. I had to take a break because it's just so intense and well, wonderful.

My only complaint so far (after beating mission 02) is that it feels like the guys who designed the cam and the guys who designed the game worked in two different offices and never actually met.

Off-screen enemies attacking me with unforeseeable projectiles is not an uncommon occurrence, and the camera will zoom in when there are only minor/mini-enemies left even though the area is still locked down until you beat them. You can just press L to zoom-out when that happens, but why does it even zoom in when there's still enemies left?

Minor complaint in the face of how awesome this game is, though. It's really a shame only a couple dozen thousand people will buy it.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

BioTech posted:

Use the 360 spin hammer attack on the turtles, hammer doesn't need to hit the top of the back. 007A has enemies that can be recruited at the start, get enough and you can do larger weapon summons, making the level easier.

Bobnumerotres posted:

My only complaint so far (after beating mission 02) is that it feels like the guys who designed the cam and the guys who designed the game worked in two different offices and never actually met.

The game never does summon in enemies off camera in story mode so any off screen attack should be manageable. Once I got unite bomb, keeping track of enemy positions was easy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:stare: So I just discovered my first hidden skill Picture Picture 2

Anyone know any others?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 24, 2013

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
:staredog:

Where/how did you get that?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yeah, I was raging about 007 earlier in the thread, but I restarted it until I was able to gather enough enemies at the beginning to reliably morph. 007 was still awful, but I can't stress enough what I was told at the time - it is so worth struggling through. The rest of the game after that point is nothing short of glorious.

Is there any trick to dealing with the super fast tiger guys? I can handle them by spamming bombs and getting in hits while i can, but it seems like such a clunky and inefficient solution when every other enemy has useful tricks to take advantage of.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban posted:

Was doing 101% difficulty and got to the part where you meet wonder green, was messing around with it and it unlocked. It requires it's own shape (a square) and everything!

Ximum posted:

Yeah, I was raging about 007 earlier in the thread, but I restarted it until I was able to gather enough enemies at the beginning to reliably morph. 007 was still awful, but I can't stress enough what I was told at the time - it is so worth struggling through. The rest of the game after that point is nothing short of glorious.

Is there any trick to dealing with the super fast tiger guys? I can handle them by spamming bombs and getting in hits while i can, but it seems like such a clunky and inefficient solution when every other enemy has useful tricks to take advantage of.

Bomb, then if you have the team attack charge ability get it to level 3 then mash it on them. They'll get stunned and you can lift them up with wonderful rising and combo them in the air where they can't defend themselves.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 24, 2013

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Ximum posted:

Slow them down with a bomb, stun them with the climb attack before they speed up again and then just launch and juggle them until they blow up.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:stare: So I just discovered my first hidden skill Picture Picture 2

Anyone know any others?

Haven't got it yet, but in the same vein Wonder Green can get Unite Cannon as a followup to Launcher. You can see its model in the pre-mash cutscenes of the final boss fights too!

There's also Unite Big which when used makes everyone morph into a giant version of the Wonderful One you're controlling, but I'm not sure how to get it or use it (I assume it's something like max level every Wonderful One?).

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Other things for beating the turtles:

1) Hero Counter makes you counter attack with the largest version of whatever Unite Morph you have out. You can fairly easily Hero Counter that annoying attack where they bite you and counterattack with a huge hammer.

2) Wonderful Cyclone for the hammer is a pretty good way of dealing a lot of damage to their shell.

3) Any of their stomps that don't summon fire from the ground can be easily blocked with Unite Guts, which will throw them up on one side. If you attack them repeatedly with something stronger like the hand or sword, you'll flip them all the way over onto their back so you can attack their belly.

4) Unite Whip can pick up dazed enemies and throw them for a ton of damage. This also applies to turtles that have been flipped over. I'm pretty sure a larger whip causes more damage, too. You can also draw a circle around them to pick them up and thrown them that way.

5) The whip can also grab the turtles' tail. Grabbing their tail with the whip will let you pull on it and cause them to be stunned for a second.

6) Their attacks that cause fire to shoot out of the ground can be completely nullified if you have Unite Hand out, since it absorbs fire! If you absorb the fire you can throw fireballs at the turtles and do a bit of damage to them that way. Just make sure you don't directly punch them if they still have their shells intact.

7) Unite Hand is probably the best way to attack a turtle with a broken shell/that has been flipped over, since you can just wail on him a ton and you won't have to worry about any of the long range fire attacks from the other turtle.

8) The Charge custom block is really good for the hammer since you don't have to continually draw large hammer shapes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Vorkken fights are the only part of this game I'm not enjoying. I'm bad at everything in the game but with practice I'm slowly getting better, and for the most parts it's not frustrating. The Vorkken fights just take so long and I'm constantly getting whacked around and can't figure out good ways to hurt him or counter his attacks.

And there's so many of them so I'm really sick of them. There's another one coming up in the next mission in 006 (since he just warned me about it at the end of the previous one) and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

The Vorkken fights are the only part of this game I'm not enjoying. I'm bad at everything in the game but with practice I'm slowly getting better, and for the most parts it's not frustrating. The Vorkken fights just take so long and I'm constantly getting whacked around and can't figure out good ways to hurt him or counter his attacks.

And there's so many of them so I'm really sick of them. There's another one coming up in the next mission in 006 (since he just warned me about it at the end of the previous one) and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

The big things that helped me with Vorkken before I got Hero Time were thus:

-You can only Unite Guts counter when he's using Hand or Hammer. Every other move will break Guts, and I find that if you stick close to him he generally uses those two more often.

-Whenever he uses Guts in the third and fourth encounters, he will attack with a very wide area effecting move once it breaks. In the fourth encounter it's always a giant Unite Sword cyclone, I think.

-The time requirements for his fights are very generous, so don't freak out if it feels like you're taking a long time.

-Energy converter is a ridiculous amount of free life when fighting Vorkken, even if you aren't hitting him proper. Whacking his goons will keep your combo going and charge your battery.

Otherwise, he's THE BOSS in 006 so it'll be the last time you fight him. Keep a close eye on which Unite he's using, dodge if it isn't Hand or Hammer, and make some use of Unite Bomb support when you manage to counter him.

Edit: Chewgi likes to hop in and assist but I have no idea what the tell for that is. Thankfully he doesn't deal much damage.

SombereroLad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 25, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

New Tips and Tricks on the Platinum blog.

Nice that they gave some tips for Operation 6-B.

Man, they say something happens for failing a QTE 10 times, but don't say which one? Eeeeeeeevil...

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I loved the Vorkken fights. They were a really clear indicator of how much better I'd become every subsequent encounter. I had so much trouble on the first one, but by the time I got to the last one, while I wasn't getting Platinums or anything, it felt much more even, even though he had more options than me.

Dunban posted:

It must just be a level up thing, because I got it eventually just playing on normal and not on 101% or anything. Not during my main playthrough, but at some point while replaying for platinums. It does use it's own shape to draw, but if you use the charge block and hold A to power up your unite morphs with the gun, that's the end result. At least so far.

e: how the gently caress do you not get hit in the beginning of 009-B

Raizor fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 25, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...So I was talking to a friend about the game. He hasn't completed it yet (and I imagine many others haven't, so this might be tricky to discuss), but he mused on what may or may not come up in the game at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH68OsvOEI

I have refused to spoil anything for him, but for those who've reached the 009 missions, how well on would you say he unintentionally is?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Astro Nut posted:

...So I was talking to a friend about the game. He hasn't completed it yet (and I imagine many others haven't, so this might be tricky to discuss), but he mused on what may or may not come up in the game at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH68OsvOEI

I have refused to spoil anything for him, but for those who've reached the 009 missions, how well on would you say he unintentionally is?

Someone already mentioned it here without tags but yeah, there's space harrier style stuff. I actually found it fairly troublesome because the bullets are sort of hard to see on the background (in the context it's pretty understandable) but they're by no means particularly difficult if you just keep moving around and around constantly.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What to do with Target's "Buy 2, get 1 free"-Promotion:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SombereroLad posted:

The big things that helped me with Vorkken before I got Hero Time were thus:

-You can only Unite Guts counter when he's using Hand or Hammer. Every other move will break Guts, and I find that if you stick close to him he generally uses those two more often.

-Whenever he uses Guts in the third and fourth encounters, he will attack with a very wide area effecting move once it breaks. In the fourth encounter it's always a giant Unite Sword cyclone, I think.

-The time requirements for his fights are very generous, so don't freak out if it feels like you're taking a long time.

-Energy converter is a ridiculous amount of free life when fighting Vorkken, even if you aren't hitting him proper. Whacking his goons will keep your combo going and charge your battery.

Otherwise, he's THE BOSS in 006 so it'll be the last time you fight him. Keep a close eye on which Unite he's using, dodge if it isn't Hand or Hammer, and make some use of Unite Bomb support when you manage to counter him.

Edit: Chewgi likes to hop in and assist but I have no idea what the tell for that is. Thankfully he doesn't deal much damage.

Thanks a bunch for this advice. I just did the fight and it was much less frustrating than the previous ones. I even got a gold statue for the operation!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

What to do with Target's "Buy 2, get 1 free"-Promotion:

You're a good person.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So some of the wonderful ones have special abilities I'm finding out.

Wonder Train can run while he has the fist out and Wonder Sister seems to have her own voice clips for some reason at least.

Oh my god (secret character) "Ask your mom" is Kamiya's taunt.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 26, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So some of the wonderful ones have special abilities I'm finding out.

Wonder Train can run while he has the fist out and Wonder Sister seems to have her own voice clips for some reason at least.

A lot of the alternate fist guys can run with fist out. Wonder Beer can, off the top of my head.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Moon Monster posted:

A lot of the alternate fist guys can run with fist out. Wonder Beer can, off the top of my head.

Oh drat, friend told me about Train so thought that was exclusive to him.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Apparently different body types all have slightly different abilities. Maybe the big wonders can run with their weapons out.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Wonder Medicine's shots seem to have a chance of charming enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brutakas posted:

God drat it, there's going to be an insane amount of hidden things, isn't there?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Another thing I noticed when fighting those enemies that are made out of cubes and use unite morphs: if they pull out a morph, attack them with the same morph a few times and they'll fall apart. It really helps speed up the fights with them.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh my god I need a Wii U now more than ever before.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Maybe I just didn't notice but I don't remember very many reviews talking about this game being difficult. It's pretty drat tricky for me to do consistently well in it and I've been playing games where you have to smoke crack to win for a long time. I'm wondering if a lot of the complaints about controls and crap were to cover up the reviewer being horrible at the game and not wanting to admit they spent the entire game picking up consolation prizes and dying 30 times per operation.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Brutakas posted:

How do you use their weapons though? Or do all their attacks have these bonuses?

quote:

I'm wondering if a lot of the complaints about controls and crap were to cover up the reviewer being horrible at the game and not wanting to admit they spent the entire game picking up consolation prizes and dying 30 times per operation

It probably was. The game is frankly hard as balls, but I've never had a problem with the controls. They really were just whining that the combat was a lot deeper than they had foreseen and it blindsided them. Most of them even bitched about the basics like drawing the shapes-I mean really? They're all very distinct.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 26, 2013

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Their weapon translates to their unite morph, it isn't a unique attack. Gun users all use the same unite gun, but if that thing with Wonder-Medicine is true, then their unite gun shots would be what causes that effect.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Haha, I was playing 004-A, picked up a tail from one of the scorpions and carried it all the way to the part where you duel 1-on-1 against Vijounne as Blue. Turns out that not only does the game let you use Geth Weapons in that fight, but it straight up one-shot her from full health.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bobnumerotres posted:

How do you use their weapons though? Or do all their attacks have these bonuses?

It probably was. The game is frankly hard as balls, but I've never had a problem with the controls. They really were just whining that the combat was a lot deeper than they had foreseen and it blindsided them. Most of them even bitched about the basics like drawing the shapes-I mean really? They're all very distinct.

The only shape I ever have trouble with is Hammer, and it's only after (post game character) Wonder Goggles joins. Sometimes I'll draw the hammer shape and it'll give me goggles and I have no idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only shape I ever have trouble with is Hammer, and it's only after (post game character) Wonder Goggles joins. Sometimes I'll draw the hammer shape and it'll give me goggles and I have no idea why

Yeah, I just finished it on normal today, and this already happened to me once. Hammer was already the morph that I was most likely to screw up, so I hope this is something I can figure out and learn to do better.
But anyways, this fuckin game. That last part (all of operation 009) was just badass.
Now I'm ready to start hopping between hard and normal, improving all my normal results to platinum.
So good.

• Locked thread