Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm catching up on my SEO knowledge. Has anyone watched Lynda.com's course on it? I know the field is always changing, but I wanted some feedback on some good resources for those who kind of know the basics. Any input on Lynda.com or other sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

No. 9 posted:

I'm catching up on my SEO knowledge. Has anyone watched Lynda.com's course on it? I know the field is always changing, but I wanted some feedback on some good resources for those who kind of know the basics. Any input on Lynda.com or other sources?

I can't speak for their SEO courses, as I haven't run through them, but I'm a fan of their programming courses. If their SEO classes are done with the same quality, then I'd say they're worth it.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
Whoo, got my domain registered and hosting procured. Now I just need to wait for the accounts to be finished setting up before I can jump in and start building a blog. I suppose I should be writing up my first several posts while I wait, but I'm real anxious to start messing with settings.

EDIT:
Goddamn, writing blog posts is hard work. Well, I guess anything you've never done before is hard. But I've got a lot of respect for all of you right now.

PurpleLizardWizard fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 18, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
OK I have googled around but am extremely bad at knowing what I'm doing still. I got a thing for $100 in advertising for a $25 buy in from Google, so I gave that a shot. I underbid massively because I don't really care if I'm front page and it would probably make my money stretch further anyway.

Below is some of my latest data, and I've got a total of two linkbacks and . . . well that's it. So can someone who's done this before tell me if this is what a month old blog should be performing like? I'm sure everyone goes through it, but I'm looking at the ~$90 I spent on this site so far and I'm kiiiiiiiinda starting to think that I should just sell the damned thing and just find other arenas to make some cash on the side.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Couple things:

Spending money on Adwords to a site monetized by Adsense will not pay off. Adwords campaigns, or any campaign, is typically directed towards a landing page, which is trying to sell something. Did you use a conversion-focused landing page, or link to your homepage? Also, what kind of keywords were you bidding on? What you sell and how you sell it will depend on what people are looking for.

What do you mean about two linkbacks? Links and Adwords don't really relate to one another - Adwords neither provides or benefits from backlinks.

But unless you more agressively monetize your site (with an ebook of your own, or some other product about interviews), I don't see paid ads making sense. Social media and SEO would be your best bet.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Two blogs linked back to me after I linked some of my words in a post to one of their posts.

I thought the same thing about adwords . . . but I make bad decisions. In the end I figured that $100 of free advertising for $25 of not-free advertising wouldn't be a bad kick start to visibility, but I might be wrong.

I have an Amazon ad widget that includes my ebook (Kindle formatting screwed it up pretty bad though, still fixing that) and some other interview related products; I interrupt all the posts and articles with it, and figured I would drive some traffic and see how well it does compared to adwords.

I linked the ads to the "How to answer interview questions" page, and it told me the front page bid was like $4 and so I said I would pay $1 for whatever that would get me.

code:
interviewing tips and questions	- Below first page bid
First page bid estimate: $1.50
$1.00	6	78	7.69%	$0.58	$3.45	3.4	--

interview advice - Below first page bid
First page bid estimate: $2.50
$1.00	18	439	4.10%	$0.62	$11.24	2.9	--

interview prep - Below first page bid
First page bid estimate: $1.25
$1.00	2	73	2.74%	$0.38	$0.76	2.7	--
After reading what you wrote and what I wrote though, I'll probably just chalk this up to a new-guy mistake though and leave the Amazon ad and the adsense ads up. Also figuring out how to get people to link to me.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

If you already have an ebook, then that is what you should be pushing. Drop everything else and make your landing page a funnel. The thing with the current ads is that they can be skipped. They are not essential to the content of the webpage. A good landing page leads irresistibly to the sale. Give a taste on the page, but to get the rest, lead to your ebook.

As far as http://www.interviewscience.com/interview-guides/learn-how-to-answer-interview-questions/, it's OK, but not ideal. There's a lot of text blocks - web writing should be in much smaller chunks, with more images, bullet points, etc. to break it up. The writing is also a bit lofty for a sales piece. People just want answers/info, especially when you are dealing with paid search. Your first paragraph is:

"Most everyone is motivated to learn how to answer interview questions, but they rarely investigate how to better answer the question than the competition. Experience plays a role, but recognizing the experiences that you’ve already had is usually the dividing line. Let’s start with how to analyze the general communication structure of potential answers to interview questions."

Most people would bail on that, simple because it's so clinical sounding.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
The ebook is kinda a crap workbook, originally intended to be a freebie for signing up for the newsletter. Still working the kinks in the formatting first because I have no idea what the Kindle is doing to my PDF but I hate it.

However, I get what you're saying and I'll work at it. Writing for the web is going to be a struggle, because I'm wordy and well . . . here's that paragraph:

quote:

Result
Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 19.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 7.

The Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score indicates how easy a text is to read. A high score implies an easy text. In comparison comics typically score around 90 while legalese can get a score below 10.

Thanks though. I'll work on it, and appreciate the frank feedback.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

The ebook is kinda a crap workbook, originally intended to be a freebie for signing up for the newsletter. Still working the kinks in the formatting first because I have no idea what the Kindle is doing to my PDF but I hate it.

However, I get what you're saying and I'll work at it. Writing for the web is going to be a struggle, because I'm wordy and well . . . here's that paragraph:

Thanks though. I'll work on it, and appreciate the frank feedback.
Copyblogger is your friend.
Slowly, slowly, over the course of weeks, the advice that arrives in your email inbox will start seeping into your head, and you will find that your natural wordy tendency will be replaced by writing appropriately for the target venue for what you're writing. You'll start writing tighter, simpler, effective copy for your sales page, and leave the high-falutin' fancy city slicker words for the e-book you're pitching. :v:

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Also, start reading and rereading the Gary Halbert newsletter. The guy has an amazing casual style. He's a master.

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/newsletter-archives.htm

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
So, I'm considering grabbing Genesis, but I can't figure out if I need a child theme to go with the framework. The FAQ talks about how the child theme is the "paint job" while the framework is the "engine" :iiaca:, but I'm not seeing anything on if I need a child theme to be able to do anything. I've got no problem with tinkering something up myself, especially since few of the themes seem to address what I want, but do any of you guys know if that's even an option?

Note: Total Wordpress newb here, but I love tinkering.

PurpleLizardWizard fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 21, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for all the advice guys, I just rewrote that landing page and I'm working on the rest. If anyone else is new and getting started, definitely take their advice (and click their links).

PurpleLizardWizard, Here's a good explanation of child/parent themes. Basically it lets you do updates to the parent theme without losing customizations.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks, FAN OF NICKELBACK, that link helped me figure it out. Looks like I'll want to pick up some basic child theme, as, while I'm great at tweaking and frankensteining stuff up, I'm not too great at starting from a blank slate.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I updated the OP: removed old advice, added some links to good posts in this thread, added links to keyword tools and some of the blogs I follow that have good advice.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sim posted:

I updated the OP: removed old advice, added some links to good posts in this thread, added links to keyword tools and some of the blogs I follow that have good advice.
The one thing that's still missing from the OP is a relatively simple guide to going from a stock WP install on your own host to having Ads placed appropriately on your site. I dicked around with it on a couple of my sites and wound up starting up a site focused on doing SEO writing for other people, instead.

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008
^^ I would love some sort of a guide. Wordpress has gotten more complicated since my last website kick, and it would have been nice to have a super-simple reference.

Is there a more general blog thread? I started one about home organization/cooking which seems to be trendy now. It definitely has the potential to make money (I'd even be happy if it covered its server costs) but I would be happy without that as well. I just want to get people to look at it.

:( I remember trading links and making buttons like, 8 years ago but I don't think it's that simple anymore.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I'm curious what some of y'all think/plan to do about Google's decision to pretty much eliminate keyword-specific analytics?

For those who don't know, Google is basically going to start protecting all searches. That means in analytics there will no longer be a chance to see which keywords were used to send people to your page, or where your page is ranking for specific keywords. That (not provided) that makes up a big chunk of most people's analytics info will soon be the *only* keyword data you see.

Of course this doesn't affect AdWords/PPC keywords. Google is keeping that alive and well, which is understandable. It's a good way by them to push people toward spending money on AdWords campaigns and using more paid search than organic ranking. But for blogs like many in this thread we monetize in such a way that getting people there through PPC campaigns isn't always the smart way to do it.

More than that, I wonder how this will affect keyword research in the future? Can we expect to reach a point where we can't even easily find niches to explore because there is no more keyword search data available to us? Sure there's always Bing and the like, but as far as I see it there's no way to escape the fact that Google absolutely owns search. I'm wondering if someone with more SEO or analytics experience can shed some light on what the future is bringing here.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Nohtenki posted:

:( I remember trading links and making buttons like, 8 years ago but I don't think it's that simple anymore.

Starting out myself, but what I've read seems to indicate that one of the best ways to build popularity now if you've got good content is to guest post. Find someone with more readers than you, comment on their stuff in insightful ways, maybe reference them a few times, and then approach them about a post you would like to do for them. They get more content for their blog with minimal effort, they feel good about helping you out, and you get a new stream of readers.

You don't even need to find someone that's doing the exact same thing as you. If you feel that a good chunk of their readers might like you and you can stretch a bit to make it relevant to that blog, feel free to step outside of your usual to make a guest post.

EDIT:
As an example for stretching, let's say you came across a blog on working efficiently that you liked. You could offer a post on organizing offices. It's within your specialty and is relevant to readers of this other blog. Might not be a great choice for reader conversion, but it's the idea.

PurpleLizardWizard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 25, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

warheadr posted:

I'm curious what some of y'all think/plan to do about Google's decision to pretty much eliminate keyword-specific analytics? For those who don't know, Google is basically going to start protecting all searches...Can we expect to reach a point where we can't even easily find niches to explore because there is no more keyword search data available to us?
Google is going to have to walk a delicate line between doing what they think is best, and alienating business (and the SEO professionals that serve every industry) to the point that Google stops being the 'go-to' location for ad spend.

It comes down to 'if you remove the tools that tell me how people get to my site, so I can focus my efforts (and spend my dollars efficientl), then I will go to a competitor who WILL tell me what I need to know.'

Yahoo was the search king once, too. The fall wasn't overnight, but it did happen - because a competitor offered better information, and the reality is the the common user searching Google does not provide them revenue - business does.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
How do I grow my Facebook follow-ship? My total monthly unique visitors are about 20x higher than my facebook fan count. Granted most of my traffic comes from referrals but my direct uniques are still completely out of whack with FB. I have slowly and 100% naturally grown my fanbase and I try to keep a steady stream of reposts and outside content flowing through my facebook feed in order to appease my fans but I am still disappointed with the numbers and I want to throw some money at it.

I have no interest in buying fans although, it seems like many of my competitors who have less site traffic are doing just that, unless I'm missing something like a snowball effect @ > 10,000 fans. I am trying to build recurring referral traffic and add credibility to my brand name which is beginning to extend outside of the blog.

Are there any case studies on using their internal advertising system? What other options are there? I have been considering give-aways as an easy way to generate new fans, is there anywhere I can read about a similar strategy?

Where do I start?

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 26, 2013

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

How do I grow my Facebook follow-ship? My total monthly unique visitors are about 20x higher than my facebook fan count. Granted most of my traffic comes from referrals but my direct uniques are still completely out of whack with FB. I have slowly and 100% naturally grown my fanbase and I try to keep a steady stream of reposts and outside content flowing through my facebook feed in order to appease my fans but I am still disappointed with the numbers and I want to throw some money at it.

I have no interest in buying fans although, it seems like many of my competitors who have less site traffic are doing just that, unless I'm missing something like a snowball effect @ > 10,000 fans. I am trying to build recurring referral traffic and add credibility to my brand name which is beginning to extend outside of the blog.

Are there any case studies on using their internal advertising system? What other options are there? I have been considering give-aways as an easy way to generate new fans, is there anywhere I can read about a similar strategy?

Where do I start?

Here's a couple articles I found helpful
http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/facebook
http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/lifestyle-business-first-step

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
If i'm making a blog that will include youtube videos, should the videos be posted on the excerpts on the home page, or only on the full page after you've clicked the read more link?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Bobx66 posted:

Where do I start?

yeah, i bought some fake likes on fiverr. I think I got like 3k but about 2.5k of them went away within a month or two. I did see an increase of real likes though. I don't think I would do it again. What is your blog again?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I can't get Google to approve my site for AdSense, I'm not sure why. It's a blog with probably 30 or so posts, decent length posts where I usually reference news articles about the blog topic and write about them. I am not sure what to do. Do I need traffic? Does it have to be older than a few months?

I may just give up on it and try to get adsense onto a blogspot blog I have. Is there any way to do this? Right now my AdSense account is associated with the first site, which is not being accepted.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

warheadr posted:

I'm curious what some of y'all think/plan to do about Google's decision to pretty much eliminate keyword-specific analytics?
http://blog.kissmetrics.com/5-alternatives-keyword-not-provided/

Links from the bottom of that article:
http://moz.com/blog/100-percent-keyword-not-provided-whiteboard-tuesday
http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2296351/Goodbye-Keyword-Data-Google-Moves-Entirely-to-Secure-Search
http://www.seroundtable.com/google-not-provided-17423.html
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-gone-100-provided-secure-search/70799/
http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/what-googles-keyword-data-grab-means-and-five-ways-around-it.html
http://blog.hubspot.com/google-encrypting-all-searches-nj
http://www.toprankblog.com/2013/09/not-provided/
http://www.toprankblog.com/2013/09/not-provided/
http://searchengineland.com/post-prism-google-secure-searches-172487

I find all the NSA and PRISM references to be pretty interesting.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 30, 2013

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
^^^^^^^^ Good roundup.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Google is going to have to walk a delicate line between doing what they think is best, and alienating business (and the SEO professionals that serve every industry) to the point that Google stops being the 'go-to' location for ad spend.

It comes down to 'if you remove the tools that tell me how people get to my site, so I can focus my efforts (and spend my dollars efficientl), then I will go to a competitor who WILL tell me what I need to know.'

Yahoo was the search king once, too. The fall wasn't overnight, but it did happen - because a competitor offered better information, and the reality is the the common user searching Google does not provide them revenue - business does.

Actually this likely has the opposite effect. You get raw search keyword data from AdWords clicks and this isn't changing. Most larger SEO agencies were already running test AdWords campaigns to find targetable keywords, now this practice will become much more common. Aggregate your content into traffic buckets, target each bucket with an AdWords test campain, find the profitable keywords, refocus content. What does this mean for Google? A lot more AdWords revenue.

Will there be additional winners from this change? Yes, my early guesses are HitTail and SEMrush.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

mcsuede posted:

^^^^^^^^ Good roundup.

Actually this likely has the opposite effect. You get raw search keyword data from AdWords clicks and this isn't changing. Most larger SEO agencies were already running test AdWords campaigns to find targetable keywords, now this practice will become much more common. Aggregate your content into traffic buckets, target each bucket with an AdWords test campain, find the profitable keywords, refocus content. What does this mean for Google? A lot more AdWords revenue.

Will there be additional winners from this change? Yes, my early guesses are HitTail and SEMrush.

Yeah, after reading that roundup in depth, it seems likely that it's going to weed out people who are more or less at the "hobbyist" level (like more than a few people in this here thread, unfortunately) and require you to up your game - and to an extent, your stakes, in that it will make more sense for you to spend $50-100 on an testing campaign for AdWords in an attempt to optimize your site with known good data to successfully get that back over time.

Unfortunately, I'm still at the 'hobbyist' level with my sites. I'm finding it difficult to come up with an idea that I'm both moderately knowledgeable about (relative expert-ism), and interested in, *and* in an area that's not already super saturated by people just like me. :v:

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Kenny Rogers posted:

Yeah, after reading that roundup in depth, it seems likely that it's going to weed out people who are more or less at the "hobbyist" level (like more than a few people in this here thread, unfortunately) and require you to up your game - and to an extent, your stakes, in that it will make more sense for you to spend $50-100 on an testing campaign for AdWords in an attempt to optimize your site with known good data to successfully get that back over time.

Unfortunately, I'm still at the 'hobbyist' level with my sites. I'm finding it difficult to come up with an idea that I'm both moderately knowledgeable about (relative expert-ism), and interested in, *and* in an area that's not already super saturated by people just like me. :v:

Keyword research isn't going away, just the ability to easily see what phrases searchers are using to find your content. As long as you're spending good time on the research phase, and writing content with as much long-tail and semantically related content as possible, you don't have a lot to worry about. You can watch your landing page traffic to see what's working and what's not (you should only be targeting one phrase per page). You can then also group your landing pages into 'content buckets' and see which content is driving more traffic, to refocus your overall targeting. More sophisticated methods are really only needed at the agency level. If you want something to replace the GA keyword reports, I suggest a combination of HitTail and plugins to monitor your internal search like Relevanssi.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

mcsuede posted:

Keyword research isn't going away, just the ability to easily see what phrases searchers are using to find your content. As long as you're spending good time on the research phase, and writing content with as much long-tail and semantically related content as possible, you don't have a lot to worry about. You can watch your landing page traffic to see what's working and what's not (you should only be targeting one phrase per page). You can then also group your landing pages into 'content buckets' and see which content is driving more traffic, to refocus your overall targeting. More sophisticated methods are really only needed at the agency level. If you want something to replace the GA keyword reports, I suggest a combination of HitTail and plugins to monitor your internal search like Relevanssi.
What's missing in the equation now (that I can see) is to be in a position much like I find myself in at the moment, where I'm in the "early research" phase - With the securification of search phrases, it seems that I'm losing the ability to just go to the tool and drop 50 ideas on it and get a baseline whether it's even worth it or not to invest the time to take it to the level you were talking about...

Unless I'm completely blind and missing something huge in that "Hey, what about..." phase?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Kenny Rogers posted:

What's missing in the equation now (that I can see) is to be in a position much like I find myself in at the moment, where I'm in the "early research" phase - With the securification of search phrases, it seems that I'm losing the ability to just go to the tool and drop 50 ideas on it and get a baseline whether it's even worth it or not to invest the time to take it to the level you were talking about...

Unless I'm completely blind and missing something huge in that "Hey, what about..." phase?

That tool is called the Keyword Planner (formerly Keyword Tool) and is located in Adwords, available for free--though I prefer to use Long Tail Pro combined with Moz Keyword Research.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Well, poo poo.

That's what I get for not paying any drat attention to the meat and potatoes of this discussion. I blame moving apartments this week.

I even posted a link to a pretty drat good I Can't Use Keyword Tool Anymore, HALP, I'm Not Good At Keyword Planner article in the last couple pages, and with my moving distraction in my head I conflated "Encrypted Keyword Data" with "Keyword Planning Research", thinking Keyword Planner was now going to be useless.

loving derp. :v:

the mattness
Oct 11, 2005
Why does it hurt when I pee?
So adsense has pulled the ads on my site because of "inappropriate content" and it's impossible to get them to tell me what that is. I've switched to chitika temporarily and the clicks get about 1 or 2 cents each rather than the 50-90 cents of before. Any other good ad servers or ways of getting google to open a dialogue?

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.

the mattness posted:

So adsense has pulled the ads on my site because of "inappropriate content" and it's impossible to get them to tell me what that is. I've switched to chitika temporarily and the clicks get about 1 or 2 cents each rather than the 50-90 cents of before. Any other good ad servers or ways of getting google to open a dialogue?

Google are usually quite reluctant about appealing these types of things - a ban is usually for life. Chitika is a good alternative if you're just looking for PayPerClick, however have you thought about being an affiliate advertiser? You have greater control and get to choose the products to advertise yourself, Amazon Asociates and ClickBank are good affiliate networks. They usually don't care about inappropiate content, as you'll be really be forced into picking the most appropriate products - as these are the products your audience is most likely to click on.

I'd definitely give it a try - if you can find the right products to advertise, you're potentially looking at doubling/tripling what you were getting with Google.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Every time I've been in trouble for Google they've given an example url, they also only disabled on the domain with the problem. Do you have ads all over half-naked women photos or in the middle of articles talking about sexy things?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's getting to the holiday season, I'm starting to get steady increases to traffic on my Black Friday website so I spent a couple hours yesterday cleaning up my site and getting some new hosting to handle the incoming traffic. Here's last year's stats:

This is was for the month of November. CPC wasn't as great as last year but it was still a good result.

This was for a Black Friday niche for a specific store. There's tons of money still to be made so if you have an idea for a blog for the holidays get a jump on it soon rather than later.

My question: I have a Mailchimp mailing list which is quickly approaching it's free 2k subscriber limit. I think I'd rather just let user subscribe to my posts by email instead of sending out a newsletter. Any suggestions on good plugins to do something? Wordpress offers the Jetpack plugin that does it but it's pretty limited.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
There's no good AND free alternative. Either use the Jetpack plugin or start paying MailChimp or another vendor.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
I haven't made my way through the entire thread yet, so maybe this has been discussed. What's the opinion on naming for a blog? Is it better to be catchy and clever or straight to the point? I am looking at a market that I am passionate about and have lots of knowledge / experience in. I think I could make some pretty good/interesting content.

However, the subject is kind of boring sounding. It's Food Science. What is best for keyword purposes etc?

Edit:
After further reading some of the posts on this page and in the rest of the thread -- it looks like something catchy/memorable is the better way to go? Doesn't sound like google cares about your name being the keyword anymore.

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 8, 2013

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Google does care* but the larger issue is do you want a name that's brandable or one that's discoverable. Most markets are so saturated now that brandable makes more sense, as you'll be using other techniques to drive long-tail traffic.

*Cares in the following ways:
relevance correlation (hummingbird, LSI)
keyword closer to url root gives small boost, but domain.com/%postname%/ accomplishes this almost as well as an EMD.

EMD (exact match domains) are not worth a giant boost as they used to be, which is what you're referencing, due to more of a reliance on semantic search and quality/authority signals.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mcsuede posted:

There's no good AND free alternative. Either use the Jetpack plugin or start paying MailChimp or another vendor.

Oh, I have no problem paying for a plugin or service, I've spent over $100 on plugins for the site this month already. My issue was with mailchimp's payment structure requiring a monthly fee for a service I use 2 weeks out of the year.

Either case, I found a setup that works for me that I might was well share with anyone who's looking to build a bigger list.

First you'll need an SMTP mail sender service to send out your emails. There's a bunch out there but the most cost-effective services I've for smallish lists are Mandrill by Mailchimp and Dyn Email.

http://mandrill.com
http://dyn.com/email/

Mandrill is free up to the first 12k emails sent per month and Dyn has a $3 monthly fee for 10k emails sent. Mandrill places an initial limit of 250 emails/hr for new accounts, Dyn has no limit but asks you a few questions to verify you aren't a spammer when you setup your account.

One main issue I'm having with Dyn is that my newsletters are ending up in spam boxes but this seems unusual and I'm talking to Dyn about it.

As far as Wordpress plugins go, you have a few options.

Subscribe2 - http://wordpress.org/plugins/subscribe2/
MailPoet - http://www.mailpoet.com
Sendpress - https://sendpress.com

Mailpoet and Sendpress are very good programs but are fairly limited in their basic versions so expect to pay for the Pro version. They aren't terribly expensive at around $100 or so, and if you've got a good sized newsletter you're gonna need it. Most features are available in the free version to sub-2k lists.

I ended up using Subscribe2. The plugin is free, it supports SMTP hosts and does daily, weekly, and per-post emails. You can also curate your subscriber list, do double opt-in and has a few form functions. No limit on subscriber count but they do have a pro version that offers some more functionality that you probably wouldn't need to a basic blog, mainly advanced click tracking and stats that your SMTP provider may already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

FCKGW posted:

It's getting to the holiday season, I'm starting to get steady increases to traffic on my Black Friday website so I spent a couple hours yesterday cleaning up my site and getting some new hosting to handle the incoming traffic. Here's last year's stats:

This is was for the month of November. CPC wasn't as great as last year but it was still a good result.

This was for a Black Friday niche for a specific store. There's tons of money still to be made so if you have an idea for a blog for the holidays get a jump on it soon rather than later.

My question: I have a Mailchimp mailing list which is quickly approaching it's free 2k subscriber limit. I think I'd rather just let user subscribe to my posts by email instead of sending out a newsletter. Any suggestions on good plugins to do something? Wordpress offers the Jetpack plugin that does it but it's pretty limited.

Hey man, I think I've asked you this before, but could you go into a little more detail about running a black friday site? I'll PM you also.

• Locked thread