Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
"GAME C'tis miasma do not affect sacred troops or pretender"

Where was this when i needed it :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Blisster posted:

Sailing is pretty cool you guys.

They put in a map setting to change sailing for certain maps. You can tailor the number of provinces that you can sail over to the amount of ocean/lakes/etc. on the map so that it's balanced.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

LordLeckie posted:

"GAME C'tis miasma do not affect sacred troops or pretender"

Where was this when i needed it :(.

after I heard that this happened to you and also others in #dom4goons I bug reported it and got a dev response that they'll look at it, so the change is a direct result of you getting screwed by it before :)

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

TheDemon posted:

after I heard that this happened to you and also others in #dom4goons I bug reported it and got a dev response that they'll look at it, so the change is a direct result of you getting screwed by it before :)

Aww <3 :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

They put in a map setting to change sailing for certain maps. You can tailor the number of provinces that you can sail over to the amount of ocean/lakes/etc. on the map so that it's balanced.

Nice! I was always annoyed that sailing varied wildly from completely useless to completely overpowered.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just a head's up, 3.99h has a bugged event that spams 70ish huscarls on any province with 2 or 3 misfortune, might want to hold off on starting mp games til its fixed

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Just a head's up, 3.99h has a bugged event that spams 70ish huscarls on any province with 2 or 3 misfortune, might want to hold off on starting mp games til its fixed

I was wondering what the hell was going on with that event when I played a test game and out of five provinces that I expanded to, three of them were invaded.

Quick question - how do you get gelatinous cubes? I saw several Ur armies running around with them, but I can't see any way to get them, nor does Ur appear to have any national spells that would summon them. The AI was also running around with crocodiles in their armies. Is it just intended that Ur spend gems to summon critters to lead with their beast masters, or is there something I'm missing?

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I was wondering what the hell was going on with that event when I played a test game and out of five provinces that I expanded to, three of them were invaded.

Quick question - how do you get gelatinous cubes? I saw several Ur armies running around with them, but I can't see any way to get them, nor does Ur appear to have any national spells that would summon them. The AI was also running around with crocodiles in their armies. Is it just intended that Ur spend gems to summon critters to lead with their beast masters, or is there something I'm missing?

Cubes - Enchantment 4, 2W, Vile Water. Costs 8 water gems per cube.
Considering the research cost, and cost per cube, it doesn't seem that great; maybe if you find an enchantment discount site.

Crocs are summonable with conjuration 1.
Not sure about the beastmasters question.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Anyone taking 2/3 misfortune and expecting the game to be fair better think again :colbert:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Last I checked, cubes were tramplers with 2 AP, and as such can barely move to trample, unfortunately. Cool but useless, so to speak.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't really understand how you'd use them.

Body of Ethereal and then Gift of Flight or something?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Dirk the Average posted:

I say fix it by keeping the allowed movement range, but remove sea landing attacks and introduce unit attrition/afflictions for longer journeys. It makes sense for soldiers to get scurvy on long voyages, don't it?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Eschatos posted:

I say fix it by keeping the allowed movement range, but remove sea landing attacks and introduce unit attrition/afflictions for longer journeys. It makes sense for soldiers to get scurvy on long voyages, don't it?

Making it something you can set on a map by map basis is much saner, and doesn't involve any sort of new mechanics.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Cubes - Enchantment 4, 2W, Vile Water. Costs 8 water gems per cube.
Considering the research cost, and cost per cube, it doesn't seem that great; maybe if you find an enchantment discount site.

Crocs are summonable with conjuration 1.
Not sure about the beastmasters question.

Ah, that makes sense and explains where Ur was spending all of its gems. Spoiler: cubes fare really poorly against dual blessed Mictlan jags/bats/flying jags.

Kenlon posted:

Making it something you can set on a map by map basis is much saner, and doesn't involve any sort of new mechanics.

I agree with this. Dominions already has a ton of little things that can screw you over. Sailing is strong, but as long as the distance that you can sail is balanced on a map by map basis, it's just a good and powerful mobility option. It was absurd when you had maps built around a 1-range sailing suddenly use 2-range sailing.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Would cubes be at all useful for stopping up fortress chokepoints? They really seem to have no purpose.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

Universal Sailing-2 just had huge problems.

This image was made on one of Elmokki's maps that came with the game; Streamlands, I think.

Making it so that you have to slog your way across the map in the first place kinda removes the point of sailing, and turns it almost into a Civ V-esque "utility" type ability, rather than a usable strong offensive ability.

Any nation with access to N3A2 can get a Pocket Ship, even if they don't have native sailing commanders. As well as Pretender Gods, that means you can get Sailing without boosters on:

- EA Arco (Oreiades)
- EA TNN (Tuatha Sorceresses, on a 27.5% random)
- EA Lanka (albeit on a series of jammy Rakshasi randoms)
- EA Oceania (again, vanishingly small chance on Capricorns, but better than nothing)
- MA Man (Crones)
- MA Eriu (Tuatha, on a 27.5% random)
- MA TC (Imperial Alchemists, when the stars are aligned just so)

There is not even one LA nation with N3A2 anywhere outside of summons/heroes, not even on whimsical randoms.

As refs Cubes in fortresses - eh not really. They can't really defend themselves in any way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

N Boosters are easy so so really all you need are n2a2 or n1a2 and another source of n2 and n1s1. Pretty sure Jomon can pull that off easy enough.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Jomon can do it with boosters, but for A2 with N, there's not a lot out there. TC can just about scrape it together between Celestial Masters, Ancestor Guides, and Spirit Masters.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 26, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Looks like the official release date has been pushed another week, to the 5th.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand how you'd use them.

Body of Ethereal and then Gift of Flight or something?

The same thing you do with every troop in Dominions! Gift of Reason it and use it as a flying raider for mind games with your opponent.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I rented a VPS and am trying to host a Dom4 game on it, but Linux is utterly alien to me. How do I make this work? I apparently have unzipped the .tgz file using the command line but I have no idea where to go from there.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kylaer posted:

I rented a VPS and am trying to host a Dom4 game on it, but Linux is utterly alien to me. How do I make this work? I apparently have unzipped the .tgz file using the command line but I have no idea where to go from there.

In Dom3 I made executable scripts with the settings for each game and just ran those in a terminal, you can probably do something similiar for 4.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This literally took me until the beta of the next game to get this symbolism in Dom3:

Each game starts with a message that the Pantokrator has vanished, plunging the world into another era of war. Now, assuming you play one game per session, what happened directly prior to getting that message? You probably double clicked on a .exe that looks like this:

We players are the real Doom Horrors:aaaaa:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well the new logo is a bit more clear cut. The Ophanim are said to guard the Throne of God and another name for them are "Thrones" from Daniel 7:9. You can also claim thrones with them since they're H3 in the game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

An average human is also strength 10.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

amuayse posted:

Well the new logo is a bit more clear cut. The Ophanim are said to guard the Throne of God and another name for them are "Thrones" from Daniel 7:9. You can also claim thrones with them since they're H3 in the game.

I Have No Mouth But I Must Roll

Are Ophanim a new angelic pretender type?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, they're a Hinnom summon. You get 4 of them when you summon a Chayot the proper way or you can get them one at a time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hinnom actually can't summon them. Ashdod and Gath can though; for some reason they get proper angels as summons rather than demons and the Grigori. Don't know why Heaven started favoring them again, all things considered, but, yeah.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ashdod and Gath still get the demons, but good luck casting it as Ashdod.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So I notice KO is vocally dev-OKing a PlaneScape mod on the Desura forums.

Not sure that's a good idea from either an Actually Creative Mod Community perspective, nor a legal one.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What happened to the Broken Empire? Were they removed when the Ashen Empire got moved to MA?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

What happened to the Broken Empire? Were they removed when the Ashen Empire got moved to MA?
They're Scelaria now.

Basically Ermor has become:

EA Ermor (with Flamen/Pontifexes outside of your capital)
MA Scelaria (old MA Ermor)
MA Ermor (old LA Ermor)
LA Lemuria (like a weird ghost version of Ermor with potential morale problems)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into the command line in Ubuntu Linux in order to start a Dom4 server? Once I understand how to do this I will host games.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I just picked up dom3 on steam, are most people still playing that or has everybody switched to 4? I tried to get the beta access but it wouldn't accept my card for whatever reason

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into the command line in Ubuntu Linux in order to start a Dom4 server? Once I understand how to do this I will host games.

Are the links in the first post not working for you?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Run dom4 with -h to output a list of commands.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
^^ I don't know how to run the dom4 program in Linux. I know absolutely nothing about Linux. I see what appear to be files named "dom4_x86" and "dom4_amd64" but typing these does nothing.

rzal posted:

Are the links in the first post not working for you?

You mean these links, correct?

TheDemon posted:

- To host a game, you'll need a computer that can be on 24/7 and a stable internet connection. Use a script or a specialized shortcut to run the game in text-only mode.
- Here is a server script by brainwrinkle, scripts make hosting easier by helping you do game settings and backing up turn files.

The links work, but I do not know what to do with them. I don't know how to turn Brainwrinkle's script into something I can actually use. I would like to emphasize that I know nothing about Linux. But I want to host games and will happily host goon games once I am able to.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Kylaer posted:

I'm rusty on my Linux and have no Dom3 on linux experience, so there would certainly be someone better to help. However, I feel like this question has been asked before, so just in case there's a bit of confusion:

Do you know how to access the command line on the machine? Do you know where the game is installed to? Do you know how to get to the game's directory?

Drilling down a level or two through those links, I think this might be the one they're thinking of, though I didn't spot it immediately:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=30044

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 29, 2013

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Yes, I have command-line access, the server is a Betaforce entry-level VPS that I've connected to through SSH (and figuring that out was a task in its own right, I am not savvy about such things). I uploaded the .tgz file to the server, got into the command line, and successfully unzipped the .tgz to a new folder. I am not sure if this means the game is actually installed or not.

I will look at that link when I'm not at work, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How much resistance do I need to withstand heat and cold auras with this new system?

• Locked thread