Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

In a perfect world, this would be played completely tongue-in-cheek and feature characters like Keepa, Cid from FF6 who refuses to take off that yellow coat, pixel Rosa, a Squall who always looks very uncomfortable about being at the beach, and the two-piece-wearing moogles from FF9.
poo poo, even actual trying to be sexy would be okay by me so long as they tried to have fun with it. Going by Dissidia, though, the beach volleyball would be interspersed with nonsensical prose about the backstory of FF1, of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Azure_Horizon posted:

Barthandelus talks about opening her Gate over and over again. You even see the gate in the final FMV where it briefly closes. They basically hammer it in that it's there.
Look, dude, I get it. You defend this game at every opportunity. Sometimes, I agree with you. I did my homework. I watched the loving video, I read the FF wiki, I looked up stuff again when 13-2 came out because I had forgotten, for example, who Bhunivelze was.

And you know when the first time I found out about Etro's Gate being a literal floating thing hiding behind the final boss was? When I read it in one of your goddamn posts, months after I beat not only the first game but its sequel.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training
XIII's plot sounds so convoluted and public reception was so negative to the game as a whole that I have trouble understanding why Squeenix made 2 sequels for it. Would much rather have seen more of the XII world, which had (mostly) intelligible metaphysics and geopolitics. Plus, I have a soft spot for Ivalice.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Simple: they have a huge bunch of assets that they couldn't put into FFXIII because their development process was 12 different kinds of hosed and so they're trying their best to make up for it by using them in what is technically a new game,

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're even putting those assets into FF14, so yeah.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Momomo posted:

They fought their focus by doing exactly what the bad guy wanted and then risking everyone's lives by holding up Cocoon. It just seems very haphazard when they don't even really know how Ragnarok works.

Also, if Fang and Vanille had this plan, Lightning and the rest certainly didn't.

The thing is, Bart didn't give a poo poo whether the party showed up or not. He says as much in Oerba. All those animals stomping around Cocoon when you get there were unleashed by him specifically to kill orphan in the event that the party doesn't show. He says this after the Oerba fight. The party goes to fight Bart because they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't and they may as well die fighting. I mean, yeah sure the game could have ended with the party collectively deciding to just accept the inevitable (as far as they knew) and all of existence ending but that wouldn't be a very final fantasy thing to do.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

The thing is, Bart didn't give a poo poo whether the party showed up or not. He says as much in Oerba. All those animals stomping around Cocoon when you get there were unleashed by him specifically to kill orphan in the event that the party doesn't show. He says this after the Oerba fight. The party goes to fight Bart because they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't and they may as well die fighting. I mean, yeah sure the game could have ended with the party collectively deciding to just accept the inevitable (as far as they knew) and all of existence ending but that wouldn't be a very final fantasy thing to do.

Which kind of begs the question of what the hell the point of having any of the main characters in the story was if the Falcie could do a suicide by cop even without any Lcie at all.

Everything you do in the game is just so pointless - the only significant plot event is the deus ex machina at the end.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just watched the ending to the game because of this thread and what the gently caress. Lightning and crew get turned into zombie robots and then ten seconds later they magically aren't? Lightning has some line dismissing it in half a second like she just burped or something. YOU WERE A ZOMBIE ROBOT.

Also I want to say I thought the premise for the game was really, really strong. When it seemed like it mattered, the whole death sentence thing felt unique. The way the game breaks off the characters to explore how they cope could have been something great. Those few chapters right after have a great sense of just total aimlessness.

I think when the game started to explain what was going on is when I started not to like it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just kind of assumed Orphan could only be killed by l'cie, and the monsters were used to piss the party off and have them fight Bart in order to stop them from killing all the people on Cocoon.. The problem arises when they should have no reason to think they can kill him, and when they actively fight Orphan instead...

Also, that's something I never quite got. Was Bart Orphan the whole time, or did he fuse with it or something? It would make a lot more sense if it was Orphan that was pulling the strings the whole time, even if it ends up being mostly the same.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

BioMe posted:

Which kind of begs the question of what the hell the point of having any of the main characters in the story was if the Falcie could do a suicide by cop even without any Lcie at all.

Everything you do in the game is just so pointless - the only significant plot event is the deus ex machina at the end.

The point of the story was the characters and how they dealt with becoming social pariahs and enemies of the state. It wasn't until around chapter 10 where they dropped the ball trying to shoehorn a more FF story into it. Same god drat problem with 12, which started off as an intriguing political drama and ended a lovely mess of nonsense about gods and doomsday weapons and MAN SHOULD CONTROL HIS OWN FATE and god drat gently caress how that game went for the last 20 hours.

Edit: ^^^ Went over the transcript of that scene. The actual plan of Bart at that point was that he had stepped down as primarch and appointed Raines to it. He would then spread rumors that Raines was a l'cie of Orphan and turn public opinion against the both of them, which would cause the military to destroy it. The releasing of the pulse monsters on cocoon was just to further this along by terrifying the populace with the thread of Pulse aggression.

Looking back at it, there are a couple of interesting lines that foreshadow some poo poo though. Particularly Sazh saying, "Hey, don't sweat it. If we go ahead and smash Cocoon, you know some Maker's sure to roll up and save the day!" :v:

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 26, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

The point of the story was the characters and how they dealt with becoming social pariahs and enemies of the state. It wasn't until around chapter 10 where they dropped the ball trying to shoehorn a more FF story into it. Same god drat problem with 12, which started off as an intriguing political drama and ended a lovely mess of nonsense about gods and doomsday weapons and MAN SHOULD CONTROL HIS OWN FATE and god drat gently caress how that game went for the last 20 hours.
It's not a loving character study if your characters don't act anything like human beings or even consistently as the 2-dimensional stereotypes they were. It really doesn't work as a purely character driven plot even in the beginning of the game, I don't even what to say to that.

Edit: Perhaps Sazh had potential because he actually had unhandwaved reason to care about being ostracized from his society in his son. But of course they resolve that as soon as possible leaving you with (if what you claim is true) a study of how people deal with becoming social pariahs with characters who have absolutely no stake in society.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 26, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Maltose posted:

FF2 is more fun than FF3, sorry.

I dunno, I've replayed both of them more times than I've replayed FF7, but I readily admit to having bad opinions. :shobon:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Please stop. Please, just stop talking about Final Fantasy 13. It isn't hard, you just have to not go into this thread and look at the posts and respond to the posts. Just leave. That's all you have to do. Maybe only look at it to see if anybody's brought up any new news about FF15, but otherwise, just stop.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I've replayed both of them more times than I've replayed FF7, but I readily admit to having bad opinions. :shobon:

FF3 NES is ok but really dated with occasional hot bullshit like the mini dungeons. FFIII DS is just a pile of jerk moves that exist because SE hates you.

FF2 remake I hear fixes a lot of stuff but theres really only so much you can change before you just abandon the broken rear end leveling system. At least you can cheese the final boss with an instant-death move. That makes, what 3 of the 13 games where you can do that?

If you have an android FFV dropped today. Go buy it if you haven't played it. The new sprites are... wonky but theres amano character portraits all over it now.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Momomo posted:

I just kind of assumed Orphan could only be killed by l'cie, and the monsters were used to piss the party off and have them fight Bart in order to stop them from killing all the people on Cocoon.. The problem arises when they should have no reason to think they can kill him, and when they actively fight Orphan instead...

Also, that's something I never quite got. Was Bart Orphan the whole time, or did he fuse with it or something? It would make a lot more sense if it was Orphan that was pulling the strings the whole time, even if it ends up being mostly the same.

Yeah he and his owl Menevra fused with Orphan and were destroyed in the cutscene after the first battle with them, Orphan by itself is the final fight, and from what I've read, every Cocoon Fal'cie was in on the plan to destroy Cocoon, even the ones who do nothing but open doors.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gologle posted:

Please stop. Please, just stop talking about Final Fantasy 13. It isn't hard, you just have to not go into this thread and look at the posts and respond to the posts. Just leave. That's all you have to do. Maybe only look at it to see if anybody's brought up any new news about FF15, but otherwise, just stop.

I've never played 13. Someone please explain its plot in 120 words or less, thank you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

I've never played 13. Someone please explain its plot in 120 words or less, thank you.

I can't do that. 120 posts, on the other hand...

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Barthandelus talks about opening her Gate over and over again. You even see the gate in the final FMV where it briefly closes. They basically hammer it in that it's there.

I'm sorry but no. I like XIII, and XIII-2 but they don't "hammer it in" at all. In fact, unless you already know ahead of time this information (from datalog or some other outside source) it's not noticeable at all. The ending sequences of XIII were some of the most rushed/unfinished in the game and that's coming from a game where they already wrote part of the story around the premade cutscenes even if it meant actively contradicting the events in the story shown up to that point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Looper posted:

"Heroes come kill me so everybody dies and god will come and take notice" says bad guy and the heroes say "No, gently caress you! We won't do your bidding!" and then the heroes go and kill him anyway. And then god steps in and ruins everything.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 26, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Gologle posted:

I thought there was an FFXIII thread at some point. What happened to it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

If you have an android FFV dropped today. Go buy it if you haven't played it. The new sprites are... wonky but theres amano character portraits all over it now.

I'd love to if the store had not arbitrarily decided it won't work with my device, despite it playing FFIV last night and being listed as compatible with Dimensions.

Though I'm sure there's a workaround to it that I'll have to look up later.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Camel Pimp posted:

I thought there was an FFXIII thread at some point. What happened to it?

Same thing that happens to most threads about games that are several years old, I suppose.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Defiance Industries posted:

Same thing that happens to most threads about games that are several years old, I suppose.

I thought it was still around for some reason. Huh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Once upon a time in a land far far away a child did not want to clean his room. Their parents said they could not go out and play until they did so they shouted at their toys to do it for them. Being toys they said nothing and did nothing until eventually, frustrated, the child pretended they were playing a clean up game that the toys were choosing to play as well. After all the toys were back in the toychest the child's parents came in and were very proud.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

FFIII DS is just a pile of jerk moves that exist because SE hates you.

Haha, oh yeah, as much as I like FF3, even I can't defend the ridiculous poo poo that FF3 DS pulls at its worst. It was a very bad remake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Once upon a time in a land far far away a child did not want to clean his room. Their parents said they could not go out and play until they did so they shouted at their toys to do it for them. Being toys they said nothing and did nothing until eventually, frustrated, the child pretended they were playing a clean up game that the toys were choosing to play as well. After all the toys were back in the toychest the child's parents came in and were very proud.
No, no, the plot, not the development process.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey guys, I'm playing through the steam edition of FF7 trying once again to beat my previous record of making it through the first disc (and then quitting right at the start of the second). I remember vaguely from the last time I played that Fort Condor missions required some intricate backtrack timing to avoid missing all of them. Is there anything you get from those missions that justifies pulling out a guide and figuring out when I have to backtrack? Or is it all just a bunch of useless optional crap? I really don't want to miss out on a sweet Materia if I can help it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing through the steam edition of FF7 trying once again to beat my previous record of making it through the first disc (and then quitting right at the start of the second). I remember vaguely from the last time I played that Fort Condor missions required some intricate backtrack timing to avoid missing all of them. Is there anything you get from those missions that justifies pulling out a guide and figuring out when I have to backtrack? Or is it all just a bunch of useless optional crap? I really don't want to miss out on a sweet Materia if I can help it.

The only real reward as I remember is the Phoenix Summon materia and that can be done at any time you want late game. No need to backtrack to do the missions.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

Mechanical demigods inflict a geas upon humans to destroy their home in an attempt to summon the demigod's creator. The humans rebel against it and eventually succeed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nothing really worthwhile, no. I think the first time you win you get a weapon for Red XIII that's pretty good for the time, so it's worth doing once. I think after a couple more you get some iffy weapon for Yuffie, but even that's probably not worth it. Everything else is like 2x Hi-Potions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Nothing really worthwhile, no. I think the first time you win you get a weapon for Red XIII that's pretty good for the time, so it's worth doing once. I think after a couple more you get some iffy weapon for Yuffie, but even that's probably not worth it. Everything else is like 2x Hi-Potions.

On that note; do make sure to pick up Yuffie. She has a really good level 3 limit break and you'll need her for her excruciatingly annoying sidequest. Her Level 4 is hot garbage but who cares.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who would you guys recommend for a long-term party? Seems like the only thing differentiating characters in FF7 is their limits. Right now I'm rolling with Cloud, Barret and Tifa.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who would you guys recommend for a long-term party? Seems like the only thing differentiating characters in FF7 is their limits. Right now I'm rolling with Cloud, Garrett and Tifa.

Is Garrett Barrett's cousin we don't talk about?

Yuffie is good if only because her multi-hit limit break is a level 3. Cid is a pretty solid choice as his level 4 multi-hitter is really, really easy to get. Cloud is a pain in the flipping backside to get his level 4 but assuming you do its also pretty good.

Basically the only ones to avoid because of limit breaks are Tifa and Red XIII and espeically, especially Vincent unless I'm overlooking something with them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who would you guys recommend for a long-term party? Seems like the only thing differentiating characters in FF7 is their limits. Right now I'm rolling with Cloud, Barret and Tifa.

Cid. Just replace Barret with Cid. You'll do fine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Ninth Layer posted:

The characters you like the best, really. They're all pretty kickass.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

FFVII isn't hard enough and the characters aren't distinct enough to need to optimise party selection. So go for whoever has the coolest limits and the best cutscene interaction.

The main factor is that in the late/postgame the number of hits becomes the most important variable, due to the damage cap.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I was thinking last night that I might try playing through the whole series (excluding XI and XIV). Is this a really stupid idea that will only cause me pain?

I have previously played VII, X, X2 and XII for varying lengths of time and enjoyed them all, and I'm planning on playing XIII and 2 soon. The thought just crossed my mind that I should play them all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Is Garrett Barrett's cousin we don't talk about?

Yuffie is good if only because her multi-hit limit break is a level 3. Cid is a pretty solid choice as his level 4 multi-hitter is really, really easy to get. Cloud is a pain in the flipping backside to get his level 4 but assuming you do its also pretty good.

Isn't Red XIII the same as Yuffie in that his multi-hit is also his Level 3 limit? Tifa isn't bad either early-game since she'll hit multiple times out the gate. Vincent and Cait Sith are pretty much the only two you don't want to deal with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Mechanical demigods inflict a geas upon humans to destroy their home in an attempt to summon the demigod's creator. The humans rebel against it and eventually succeed.

Succeed at what, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Red XIII's multi-hitter is level 2, and it's really weak. The damage multipliers on it are low (5/8th regular damage per hit).