Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

crowfeathers posted:

Well, hell, I'm still going to vote for her. But I don't think a Democrat has a chance of winning for some time to come whether or not Davis has popularity behind her. In the future that will certainly change, but will her popularity last that long?

Yeah, I'm conflicted about this. I want her to seek higher office but her chances of success are slim and it may mean an end to her political career but it's not like there is any other state wide race she would have a better chance winning so might as well swing for the fences. That's the problem that all aspiring Democratic candidates have in a state like Texas; their opportunities for advancement on the political stage are very limited at this time.

Real Name Grover posted:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed in the thread, but out of curiosity, what's the general consensus as to Julian Castro's ambitions beyond San Antonio?

Same problem for him and his brother. They are popular and effective as politicians but where do they go from their current positions in Texas politics? They are not held back by their ambition or drive, only by a deep red electorate in state wide elections.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Real Name Grover posted:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed in the thread, but out of curiosity, what's the general consensus as to Julian Castro's ambitions beyond San Antonio?

He said he's certainly staying mayor for the rest of his term and not running for governor, which means he's looking into running for governor.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

duz posted:

He said he's certainly staying mayor for the rest of his term and not running for governor, which means he's looking into running for governor.

I would certainly hope that the State Democratic Party has coordinated between these two if he does in fact want to make a run but that may be too much to hope for.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Real Name Grover posted:

I think I mentioned this in the 2016 presidential thread, but Castro's said he's planning to stay as mayor of San Antonio for another term after he current one, which would keep him as mayor until 2017. I know I'll vote for him for another term as Mayor if he runs, he got both Pre-K for SA and San Antonio's LGBT non-discrimination ordinance passed, I'm loving ecstatic at how he's been doing as mayor.

Ah, found a tweet Castro made about it:
https://twitter.com/juliancastrotx/status/195664754616971265

Julian Castro posted:

@Rivardreport That's an easy one, Bob. I'll be mayor through May 2017, if the voters will have me. Zero interest in Washington.
Of course, he could always run for Governor in 2018, and that's assuming Wendy Davis isn't governor then.:getin:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The way Julian handled the LGBT law was wonderful to behold, but as you say he seems to be happy staying mayor for a while at least. On the other hand, you don't give the keynote speech to someone just to let them languish as mayor somewhere, so eventually he's sure to have serious ambitions.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Texas has the least powerful Governorship in the country, so I'd think an ambitious person would be more interested in other offices. I'd think a Senate run. Cruz is up in 2018, so Castro has two (he hopes) successful and popular terms as mayor under his belt, and a year to go on the campaign trail full time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

crowfeathers posted:

The way Julian handled the LGBT law was wonderful to behold, but as you say he seems to be happy staying mayor for a while at least. On the other hand, you don't give the keynote speech to someone just to let them languish as mayor somewhere, so eventually he's sure to have serious ambitions.

While Mayor won't likely catapult him to the national stage, he can build a good reputation and connections in Texas politics. The alternative, running for state-wide office at either the state or federal level and getting slaughtered, he'll be written off. Or he can play the long game and build up a nice niche in the state house or in a friendly Congressional district.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

She's a fantastic AG, which makes that travesty of a Senate campaign all the more tragic.

Now she's running for governor. Assuming she survives a primary, I hope to God she's learned her goddamn lesson.

Literally, there is no way to make the same mistake twice, even if PPP polling puts her 20 points ahead of Charlie Baker. Every story after the primary will be DID MARTHA COAKLEY LEARN HER LESSON!?

I like Martha, I think she is a better choice than Capuano. But I Am suuuuuper biased.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

Texas has the least powerful Governorship in the country, so I'd think an ambitious person would be more interested in other offices. I'd think a Senate run. Cruz is up in 2018, so Castro has two (he hopes) successful and popular terms as mayor under his belt, and a year to go on the campaign trail full time.

You'd be surprised how powerful the governor becomes when he has 13 years to name someone to literally every appointed position in the state.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

notthegoatseguy posted:

While Mayor won't likely catapult him to the national stage, he can build a good reputation and connections in Texas politics. The alternative, running for state-wide office at either the state or federal level and getting slaughtered, he'll be written off. Or he can play the long game and build up a nice niche in the state house or in a friendly Congressional district.

While a safe congressional seat would be a walk in the park, I think him running for Cruz's seat in 2018 is where he's headed since it's much easier to make the jump from senator to higher office if he has ambitions that high. Plus 4 years is a long time right now to change Texas from deep red to purple, especially with how bat poo poo insane the GOP has been to the very large Latino population that is coming of age and just needs to get registered.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember when Sarah Palin recently said she's not running for Senate AT THIS TIME?! Well, she's still not running for Senate, but might she? She might.

quote:

“Ted Cruz and more of those good guys need some reinforcements in these midterm elections, to undo so much of what the Democrats are doing,” Palin said. “I don’t know if it’ll be me.”

“I think it really takes someone who has the stomach for the patience necessary to live and delve in that cesspool that is Washington, D.C., which is quite corrupt,” she continued. “I have young children, and I want to keep them nice and pure, if you will. And Washington, D.C. would be a very tough environment for them.”

And I bet a donation to Sarah PAC would really help Ted Cruz's cause.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

duz posted:

Lt Gov Castro!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Platonicsolid posted:

Failure in one campaign can build the base for the next campaign. You have name recognition for candidates, you keep the activists engaged (or at least keep them from becoming more disengaged) and you can help some of your down-ticket candidates. And who knows, sometimes your opponent implodes. (IE: George 'Macaca' Allen or Todd 'Legitimate Rape' Aikin)

In Texas, the best example of this is Clayton "just relax and enjoy it [rape]" Williams, who was well ahead of Ann Richards until that little nugget came out of his mouth.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Claytie Boy was awesome, yeah. His refusing to shake her hand also added to his street cred. Houstonians who are 38 or older might also recall then-former mayor Louie Welch's ill-timed "Shoot The Queers" that torpedoed his run for a new term against Whitmire.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Anyone else witnessing this unbearably stupid forced non-scandal?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cory-booker-stripper-20130926,0,7141278.story

quote:

The story is basically this: On Wednesday a BuzzFeed reporter -- perhaps with sextually challenged New York politico Anthony Weiner on the brain -- posted a story about Lee exchanging private messages with Booker, the bachelor mayor of Newark, N.J.

"Not safe for work, unless you work at Newark City Hall," the BuzzFeed reporter gushed, then glued several nude photos of Lee into the very-not-safe-for-work story.

The private exchange with Booker, tweeted by Lee, was in February, after the mayor had done some characteristically goofy Twitter bantering with his followers.

Booker tweeted to his followers that he wanted to be president of New Jersey's Star Trek club. Lee, who works at a vegan strip club in Portland, publicly tweeted at the ambitious mayor, "if you're ever POTUS I call dibs on First Lady."

Which is supposedly when the trouble begins...?

"And The East Coast loves you and by the East Coast, I mean me," Booker is shown privately responding to Lee, who replied, "Well now I'm blushing. :)"

Twenty-three hours later, Booker responded, "It's only fair."

The end.

This is all over the Delaware valley news outlets, and it is so painful watching them play the "is this a big deal? some people say it is..." game.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

quote:

Lee, who works at a vegan strip club in Portland
No words. Off to lunch!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They try to come up with fake Booker sexts, and they pick ones that make him look straight?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

They try to come up with fake Booker sexts, and they pick ones that make him look straight?

Honestly, the best part of the "scandal" has been Lynsie Lee's posts on Twitter.

(And yes, that link to the Twitter account of a now-pseudo-famous Portland stripper is :nws:.)

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Maybe a good candidate is the catalyst Texas Dems need. Hell, it worked for MA Dems when Elizabeth Warren ran for Senate.

She wasn't a strong candidate. It doesn't take much more than a pulse (rip martha coakley) for a Democrat to win a senate seat in Massachusetts, especially in a year when there's also a presidential election.

Snafe
Oct 5, 2010

Is it secret, is it Snafe?

Technogeek posted:

Honestly, the best part of the "scandal" has been Lynsie Lee's posts on Twitter.

(And yes, that link to the Twitter account of a now-pseudo-famous Portland stripper is :nws:.)

Its bloody hilarious. You have to love how much of a non story it is, and I would have to agree with you about her twitter postings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This story is seriously "single man flirts with woman"?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

hobbesmaster posted:

This story is seriously "single man flirts with woman"?

A stripper! Who works at a strip club! Scandalous!

I was also very confused by "vegan strip club" until my eyes moved over to "Portland."

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I saw Portland and I'm still confused with "vegan strip club". Like, are the strippers vegan? Do they serve tofu wings? What's wrong with the world these days?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

serewit posted:

I saw Portland and I'm still confused with "vegan strip club". Like, are the strippers vegan? Do they serve tofu wings? What's wrong with the world these days?

Apparently the guy wanted to get people to eat more tofu, so he brought in strippers.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I tried to open a vegan BDSM club but the fake leather whips just don't seem to satisfy.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Joementum posted:

Apparently the guy wanted to get people to eat more tofu, so he brought in strippers.

Well he was just looking for the combo of two things that are tasteless and boring.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

There's no sex in the tempeh room.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

serewit posted:

Normal strip clubs treat women like meat; this one treats them like vegetables.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

You can't have dessert until you eat them first?

That joke was beneath me, I apologize.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I'm sure I'm not the first to think this, but isn't Davis running in TX bad from a national strategy and money standpoint?

- big liberal donors see her as a big hot commodity and donate money to her, rather than to winnable states ranging from MI to AZ to FL to even SC (which will be closer than TX if 2010 is a baseline).

- Women's groups (PP, EMILY'S List) spend resources propping up a spokesperson for them rather than electing sympathetic lawmakers in the aforementioned states

- Hispanic groups, who could have a bigger effect in closer states like AZ or CO follow the party and try to take a risk on turning out more people in TX.

Basically, TX is still a decade or more away according to conservative estimates (Sabato, for one) and while its a sexy choice, bigger immediate dividends can be won in bigger states like FL, PA (esp if a D is gov for the next redistricting), MI (ditto, see PA), and maybe OH?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

De Nomolos posted:

I'm sure I'm not the first to think this, but isn't Davis running in TX bad from a national strategy and money standpoint?

- big liberal donors see her as a big hot commodity and donate money to her, rather than to winnable states ranging from MI to AZ to FL to even SC (which will be closer than TX if 2010 is a baseline).

- Women's groups (PP, EMILY'S List) spend resources propping up a spokesperson for them rather than electing sympathetic lawmakers in the aforementioned states

- Hispanic groups, who could have a bigger effect in closer states like AZ or CO follow the party and try to take a risk on turning out more people in TX.

Basically, TX is still a decade or more away according to conservative estimates (Sabato, for one) and while its a sexy choice, bigger immediate dividends can be won in bigger states like FL, PA (esp if a D is gov for the next redistricting), MI (ditto, see PA), and maybe OH?

The idea is to make big money GOP donors spend big to hold what should've been safe seats for them, which should lessen the overall pressure on liberal donors in every front in more purple areas.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Monkey Man posted:

So they're covered in ranch dressing? :barf:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

De Nomolos posted:

Rick Perry's last election was closer than people realize, even if it's unlikely,I don't see a problem with energizing democrats in 2016 with hopes for 2020 and beyond

Rick Scott is looking very vulnerable, and the proper candidate would certainly give him trouble. It remains to be seen if it'll be Crist running against him, but I have to imagine Crist would have some very good odds.

As for my state? Kasich has a war chest and one of the most thoroughly corrupt cabinets in existence. However, Fitzgerald is probably the best thing Cuyahoga County has given Ohio since house-era Kucinich. He managed to clean up the most corrupt district in Ohio as county exec, and he just needs his name out there more. Ohio is wide open.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

De Nomolos posted:

I think it's actually the opposite because most of the #StandWithWendy type money really isn't coming out of the pocket of another candidate, it's going to be big donors that will open up to anyone that focuses on that issue and small donors who only donate to the occasional specific candidate. The idea of running a statewide single issue abortion candidate in Texas is probably pretty silly in terms of just raw votes, but maybe the incoming influx of money creates an infrastructure for 2018 and forward.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The real question about her is who she really is and what she really stands for. Texas hasn't turned out a shitload of great state-level Democrats in recent years. Look at Chris Bell. Sure, she'll be better than any GOP offering, but the question that almost no one has asked is, "Yeah, I agree with her on reproductive rights, but what about the rest of her beliefs?" OF course, yeah, vote for her against Dewhurst, but before you get excited about her find out at least a bit about what she believes.

Also, yeah, the Warren comparison earlier couldn't be less relevant. Warren was a national figure with a decade-long record running in America's largest gulag. Davis has a tough row to hoe in one of America's most reliably conservative states.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ReindeerF posted:

The real question about her is who she really is and what she really stands for. Texas hasn't turned out a shitload of great state-level Democrats in recent years. Look at Chris Bell. Sure, she'll be better than any GOP offering, but the question that almost no one has asked is, "Yeah, I agree with her on reproductive rights, but what about the rest of her beliefs?" OF course, yeah, vote for her against Dewhurst, but before you get excited about her find out at least a bit about what she believes.

Also, yeah, the Warren comparison earlier couldn't be less relevant. Warren was a national figure with a decade-long record running in America's largest gulag. Davis has a tough row to hoe in one of America's most reliably conservative states.

Warren also has fairly middling political skills at best; her only real distinction is that every so often she can preach to the choir really effectively.

Wendy Davis at least appears to have actual political speaking skills.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You mean aside from having risen from college professor to national prominence and then campaigned and won an election for statewide office against the Republican who beat the last woman to run in the same spot? Don't write her off so easily. She's not Bill Clinton, but she's quite clearly not Martha Coakley either and her political speaking skills motivate the poo poo out of a lot of people. More importantly, while she may bend and fold here and there, there's a decades-long record of who Warren is.

Davis has yet to demonstrate a lot of that and she's up against a much tougher statewide race in Texas. I'm old enough to say this after having hosed it up myself several times here, publicly: be careful about unquestioningly admiring rising political stars.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, in terms of political speaking skills, Warren did a pretty good job at the DNC. She got overshadowed a bit by the guy who followed her, but that's not really her fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcbg1EU_bI

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

jeffersonlives posted:

I think it's actually the opposite because most of the #StandWithWendy type money really isn't coming out of the pocket of another candidate, it's going to be big donors that will open up to anyone that focuses on that issue and small donors who only donate to the occasional specific candidate. The idea of running a statewide single issue abortion candidate in Texas is probably pretty silly in terms of just raw votes, but maybe the incoming influx of money creates an infrastructure for 2018 and forward.

I don't know if I buy this. To be sure pro-choice California and NY donors would see their money go much further in FL. Plus, with Scott able to self-fund, the GOP won't be spending much there anyway, and that's a good 50 mil that they can drop anywhere. So you can assume they will save $ in FL to drop everywhere else. I doubt they drop it in TX, knowing that even an average TX Republican will always have plenty of donors. The war of attrition works when you have a purple state or a bad candidate. Texas has neither right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Also, in terms of political speaking skills, Warren did a pretty good job at the DNC. She got overshadowed a bit by the guy who followed her, but that's not really her fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcbg1EU_bI
She is unbelievable. She's basically one of the best possible outcomes you can mathematically arrive at if you start where I come from. Just an amazing human being. Not perfect, but amazing nonetheless.

EDIT: Watching again. I would pick up weapons for her. I can't help it, Warren is like barely hiding the fact that she would love to hang everyone who has ever ripped anyone off.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2013

• Locked thread