Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

tehloki posted:

There's a forest of cables in our server room ceiling, some of which are supported by string. There's also a 2-foot-deep sonicwall that is screwed into a 2-post rack and is supported by string. Do you want pictures

That sounds impressive. Let's see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Splashy Gravy posted:

Could someone repost the pic of the equipment hanging from the ceiling by string? I'm having trouble finding it in the last thread.

I just tried searching for this myself and if I'm thinking it was originally posted by Captain Gimpy. Problem is, it was on Waffleimages which is no more. Hopefully someone has it archived somewhere.

During the search, I did come across this gem that I'm sure everyone will appreciate since we all hate printers (originally posted by Zephirus):

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

TWBalls posted:

Person 2: Hmm... I dunno, YouTube it. I'm sure there's a step by step video out there.

This pisses me off. When the only instructions you can find to do a thing all link back to some youtube video where a dude with an agonisingly slow whiny voice explains how to do the thing in baby steps when all you needed was a couple of commands, not 5 minutes being shown how to click start run and type CMD in 3 different versions of Windows.

Just write the bloody instructions in text.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lum posted:

This pisses me off. When the only instructions you can find to do a thing all link back to some youtube video where a dude with an agonisingly slow whiny voice explains how to do the thing in baby steps when all you needed was a couple of commands, not 5 minutes being shown how to click start run and type CMD in 3 different versions of Windows.

God drat this.

If I want some instruction on some software, I want it in text and screenshots. I don't want to drag through minutes of some neckbeard's nasally wheeze when it would take seconds to skim to the important parts. Video only makes sense with physical project instruction, like laptop disassembly or the like.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Lum posted:

I hate how when they make a mistake or something crashes they don't restart the video they do it all in one take.. with a $5 mic that has a constant high pitched whine with some huge fan blowing into it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^^ Bonus points if you get to sit through the machine rebooting while the narrator makes jokes about "Microsloth" and rambles on about how great Linux/Macs are before proceeding to carry on with how to do (Windows-only-thing)

Biggz posted:

I don't think this is the case... Do people really say "I'm just going to facebook that on MySpace"?

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 26, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Quote != edit

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evol262 posted:

Fun fact: hourly computer employees can also be exempt if they make ~$27/hr.

In California you are *not* exempt if you are "...engaged in the operation of computers or in
the manufacture, repair, or maintenance of computer hardware and
related equipment."

Repaid and maintenance duties ? Not exempt ! That's CSC 515.5.b.3, and all of 515.5.b explicitly overrides the paragraph that says you're exempt above $36/hr or $75,000 annually.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=00001-01000&file=500-558

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Now I have 2 threads to keep up with :P I blame the puppy.

Lum posted:

Oh a thousand times This. I was just having to suffer that a day or two ago!

Especially prevalent with phone modding (e.g. Android rooting) is the black and white choice between
a) v vague abbrv'd text sntnce easy m8 just adb bootloader flash cwm fastboot recovery flash supersu done :thumbsup: (and a ban hammer if you ask for clarification)
b) 3 hours of how to use a start menu and click through tabs on youtube narrated slowly by a 10 year old

There is nothing in between whatsoever.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Welp just got an email that they fired two phone agents. Guess who got their tickets.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

The forest

The former telecom board, now there are only about 5 working phone lines in this whole big mess. The one in the basement is 5 times the size and much more cluttered, and is the actual demarc for the phone/fiber. That huge bundle of whitish cables (cat3? who knows) is all cut off in the ceiling. Our ethernet network was basically laid on top of the old network when it was installed sometime last decade.

Some nice cable management by the security guy.

When they decided they needed to network the whole basement for 50 ethernet + 20 phones + all doors security they just sort of blasted a hole in the floor with a jackhammer and gave me (and the disastrously overworked facilities guy) about 2 weeks to get the whole thing done. Needless to say this is the result.

Some awesome power cable management by me made possible by the diligent work of the 4 guys in the 7 or so years before me to make sure all the cables were in a nice un-disentanglable pile.

The aforementioned sonicwall held in place by string. The string was actually my addition after noticing that the front of the rack was actually bent into an s-curve by the weight of the thing. On top is an old google search appliance that I gutted and turned into an FTP server when I was given 2 days to set one up with no budget.

Our glorious main network rack. It's a lot neater than it was when I started here, if you can believe that. The dark switch is dead but load-bearing - lots of the screw holes in the rack slots above it are bent out of shape or have broken-off screw bolts in them so I can't screw in the two switches on top of it securely.

Ticketmaster's stuff. I'm not allowed to touch it.

More ceiling forest. When we run new ethernet I try and keep it in the main columns of cable but the ceiling is such a clusterfuck of crisscrossing wires going god knows where and giant bundles that are cut off it's nearly impossible to get a straight shot through the ceiling in here.

Bonus: our ancient mailserver, running zimbra open source edition. Impossible to get it upgraded because our current SLA is nothing with nobody and our current yearly cost is free (assuming my time is worthless). Try arguing for a migration of 100+ users to google apps with finance when the server isn't currently a sparking lump of fused metal and you will feel my pain.

Lots of this stuff could be fixed if I was willing to work uncompensated overnight time for a month or so, or if they brought in a contractor to just tear the whole thing down and rebuild it over a holiday weekend, but I'm just one guy and nobody is standing over me with a lash demanding that I make it neat, so I just do what I can to keep everything in working condition and not egregiously unsafe/unstable. It's ugly but it works. For now.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 27, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mllaneza posted:

In California you are *not* exempt if you are "...engaged in the operation of computers or in
related equipment."

Repaid and maintenance duties ? Not exempt ! That's CSC 515.5.b.3, and all of 515.5.b explicitly overrides the paragraph that says you're exempt above $36/hr or $75,000 annually.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=00001-01000&file=500-558

Exemption doesn't depend on pay. You must make at least $36/hr or $75k annually (or whatever) in order for your employer to submit your position as exempt, but it doesn't happen automatically. The pay is just a precondition.

Gaming the law by "repair and maintenance" disregards the spirit of the legislation:

quote:

The exemption provided in subdivision (a) does not apply to an employee if any of the following apply:
(1) The employee is a trainee or employee in an entry-level position who is learning to become proficient in the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized information to computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering.
(2) The employee is in a computer-related occupation but has not attained the level of skill and expertise necessary to work independently and without close supervision.
(3) The employee is engaged in the operation of computers or in the manufacture, repair, or maintenance of computer hardware and related equipment.
(4) The employee is an engineer, drafter, machinist, or other professional whose work is highly dependent upon or facilitated by the use of computers and computer software programs and who is skilled in computer-aided design software, including CAD/CAM, but who is not engaged in computer systems analysis, programming, or any other similarly skilled computer-related occupation.
(5) The employee is a writer engaged in writing material, including box labels, product descriptions, documentation, promotional material, setup and installation instructions, and other similar written information, either for print or for onscreen media
or who writes or provides content material intended to be read by customers, subscribers, or visitors to computer-related media such as the World Wide Web or CD-ROMs.
(6) The employee is engaged in any of the activities set forth in subdivision (a) for the purpose of creating imagery for effects used in the motion picture, television, or theatrical industry.

Compare to what it takes to qualify:

quote:

(1) The employee is primarily engaged in work that is intellectual or creative and that requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
(2) The employee is primarily engaged in duties that consist of one or more of the following:
(A) The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software, or system functional specifications.
(B) The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing, or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications.
(C) The documentation, testing, creation, or modification of computer programs related to the design of software or hardware for computer operating systems.
(3) The employee is highly skilled and is proficient in the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized information to computer systems analysis, programming, or software engineering. A job title shall not be determinative of the applicability of this exemption.

The second part is clearly intended to say that repair technicians (copiers/etc), people who use computers as part of a non-IT job (graphic design, et al), and entry-level helpdesk don't qualify as exempt, which also agrees with the federal Department of Labor guidelines -- exempt positions are for people who are expected to be "above and beyond", which break/fix technicians and helpdesk aren't. More to the point, if I get hired into an exempt position as a systems administrator, I can't quote CSC 515.b to say "nyah-nyah, you have to pay me overtime now" because I repair and maintain computers.

E:

tehloki posted:

Our glorious main network rack. It's a lot neater than it was when I started here, if you can believe that. The dark switch is dead but load-bearing - lots of the screw holes in the rack slots above it are bent out of shape or have broken-off screw bolts in them so I can't screw in the two switches on top of it securely.
Amazing.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 26, 2013

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

blackswordca posted:

Welp just got an email that they fired two phone agents. Guess who got their tickets.

For the love of god get out.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

tehloki posted:

(a bit of a mess)

Wow.... the chaos... it's beautiful.

And I thought our place was bad for make do and mend

Our walls are turning into swiss cheese with all the "we want to move person a to area b by this afternoon, no time to do things 'neatly', just drill a hole and run an extension cable will ya, why are you still standing there?" but aren't quite that bad

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

Agreed. Only problem with that is it seems like no one ever reads it. See my previous gripe about new guy taking a week to fix an issue with a doctor not being able to RDP into an EMR system, only to have the director finally ask me to look in to it and have it fixed within 5 seconds. I told the director that I had this documented and that I had made new guy aware of the documentation months ago.

mllaneza posted:

related equipment."

poo poo, thanks for this. I think our company is trying to pull that exempt bullshit on my co-worker. I'll forward this to him.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 26, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TWBalls posted:

poo poo, thanks for this. I think our company is trying to pull that exempt bullshit on my co-worker. I'll forward this to him.
I want to point out (again) that this is going to be a legal battle. Companies do not "pull exempt bullshit" without backing from HR (who has backing from legal for that position based on duties and skillset required) unless they're completely retarded. It's not as simple as quoting a bill to remove the exempt status from a position.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

evol262 posted:

I want to point out (again) that this is going to be a legal battle. Companies do not "pull exempt bullshit" without backing from HR (who has backing from legal for that position based on duties and skillset required) unless they're completely retarded. It's not as simple as quoting a bill to remove the exempt status from a position.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is because they're retarded. They've had more than one lawsuit due to them trying to gently caress over employees. There was one not too long ago for them not paying hourly employees for overtime.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

GargleBlaster posted:

Wow.... the chaos... it's beautiful.

And I thought our place was bad for make do and mend

Our walls are turning into swiss cheese with all the "we want to move person a to area b by this afternoon, no time to do things 'neatly', just drill a hole and run an extension cable will ya, why are you still standing there?" but aren't quite that bad

It's actually quite neat and well managed on the office side of things, I just don't really have any time to keep it neat on the server room end of things. I refuse to do any half-assed patchwork stuff that looks terrible where any manager can see it, because they'll inevitably tell me to redo it neatly without notice the first time they have to have somebody important in the office.

Flame Strike
Jan 2, 2007

Replacing two of our three large, networked printers tomorrow. I didn't find out about this until noon today. Even better, I still don't have the model number for one of them.

My boss decided that it would be a good idea to go around and physically talk to the 30-40 people that this would affect and refuses to send any emails, because people would prefer the "personal touch every once in a while."

Sure thing dude. :unsmith: I think he's hit 3-4 people so far and is about to leave for the day. Tomorrow will be fun!

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

tehloki posted:

Bonus: our ancient mailserver, running zimbra open source edition. Impossible to get it upgraded because our current SLA is nothing with nobody and our current yearly cost is free (assuming my time is worthless). Try arguing for a migration of 100+ users to google apps with finance when the server isn't currently a sparking lump of fused metal and you will feel my pain.

What's up, ancient gigantic ProLiant buddy?

We use ours as a Hyper-V host and pray every day that it doesn't catch fire. The running joke is that Bistromath's size constantly increases every time we mention it. I think it's currently up to 36us.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pfft, that's a G5. I'm pretty sure we have some G3's still around doing things.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Splashy Gravy posted:

Could someone repost the pic of the equipment hanging from the ceiling by string? I'm having trouble finding it in the last thread.

Gladly!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

For the love of god get out.

YOTJ Update:

Just got an interview for next week at an engineering firm. Its intermediate IT support position. The guy that's doing it now I worked with him a few years ago and he is moving onto a government position.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 26, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Okay that's a way smaller setup than mine but bahahaha

e: just saw "HUB" :psyduck:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

various people posted:

string as infrastructure

At what point do people just give up and let their poo poo go fallow? Were these places originally organized wiring closets that then went bad over time due to apathy or were they always set up like my kids' tinkertoy/lego constructions?

I'm not trying to be judgmental here. Promise. I am honestly trying to understand how wiring closets get like this.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Helushune posted:

What's up, ancient gigantic ProLiant buddy?

We use ours as a Hyper-V host and pray every day that it doesn't catch fire. The running joke is that Bistromath's size constantly increases every time we mention it. I think it's currently up to 36us.

Say hello to one of our Novell file servers. I pray daily for the day I get to tear it out of our rack and put it out of our misery.

skipdogg posted:

Pfft, that's a G5. I'm pretty sure we have some G3's still around doing things.

So do we! And if I ever need a server for doing something I have more G4's than anyone knows what to do with. Hell we just sent away about 20 for recycling.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Agrikk posted:

At what point do people just give up and let their poo poo go fallow? Were these places originally organized wiring closets that then went bad over time due to apathy or were they always set up like my kids' tinkertoy/lego constructions?

I'm not trying to be judgmental here. Promise. I am honestly trying to understand how wiring closets get like this.

One kludge at a time, usually. Temporary / emergency measures that are somehow still there five years later because "we'll get around to re-doing this properly at some point" never actually happens. It gets worse with staff turnovers when you have stuff that was "set up by the last guy" that the New Guy is afraid to touch because he never got around to figuring out how it was all set up. He'll add his own hacks on top because when something needs to be changed or added RIGHT AWAY, it's easier to patch something onto the mess than to re-do the whole thing. The worst is small business that have a network but not a big enough one to employ their own IT person. Stuff accumulates... The other week I had to dig out a dead switch that was drywalled into the ceiling.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Awesome! I'd been wanting to update that to point out the small UPS that is also suspended by strings.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

hihifellow posted:

Say hello to one of our Novell file servers. I pray daily for the day I get to tear it out of our rack and put it out of our misery.

And if I ever need a server for doing something I have more G4's than anyone knows what to do with. Hell we just sent away about 20 for recycling.

It would be totally awesome if that big old son of a bitch was running NetWare. Just because.

Also those DL380 servers were great boxes. We had a poo poo load of them and they ran like champions until we did a hardware upgrade. I ended up snagging a bunch of them and shipping a few of those out to the Goonfleet guys where I think they ended up powering the forums there and other infrastructure for a while.

Linked for size.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

go3 posted:

Maybe we shouldnt be distributing iPads and laptops and poo poo to students but who am I to question

I have similar concerns, but look at it in this light: it doesn't seem preposterous to suggest that having some kind of computing device is advantageous for a student, relative to not having one. You can look stuff up online, you can type papers, lots of other stuff that you and I take for granted. Now consider that a lot of students in public school systems lack any such device. Giving everyone a device of some kind starts to look like a way to significantly improve equity of opportunity for students. Maybe an iPad winds up being the best choice, maybe it doesn't, but if you've decided to take that plunge, you have to consider the logistics. What's cheapest, since deployment on this scale is a huge chunk of change no matter what you go with? What's easiest to administer? What's easiest to repair or replace? What's the most resistant to the damage that kids will inevitably inflict on it? What's easiest for students to use, both in terms of UI and logistically -- maybe they don't have a place at home to put a desktop computer, but a laptop or a tablet doesn't have that kind of physical footprint.

There are a ton of logistical challenges to be worked out, certainly, but I'm not sure it's as crazy as it sounds.

EDIT: I used the word "logistics" way too much in this post.

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 26, 2013

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
My wife and I were just talking about Ipads at schools. Their school just got them, and she hates them. Besides the logistics, part of the problem is that the teachers are expected to find stuff for the kids to do on the Ipad. Teachers are not mobile app developers. There is some freeware out there, but otherwise there is a real lack of content.

The other problem is she works in special ed. There are a couple of "look at the great things were are doing with autistic kids and Ipads' videos out there. This leads to the administration saying, "You have Ipads, why do you need more resources?" and the parents saying "my kid has an Ipad, why haven't you fixed them yet?"

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think I'd much rather give students these instead of overpriced tablets to be quite honest.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Agrikk posted:

The last place I worked had some pretty hosed up wiring closets due to a variety of issues. The short version is that only the people on the help desk actually care about how everything is cabled because they are the only ones who ever physically interact with the equipment. The people that order the equipment never bother to check if there is room or infrastructure ahead of time and dump everything on the help desk at the last minute and holy poo poo this needs to be done yesterday stop making excuses and make it work. Help desk hacks something together to get it working and lets the appropriate people know what happened and what needs to be done to correct it but since it works now and the guilty parties kissed some rear end nothing happens or changes.

Only way that poo poo was ever going to get fixed was for the help desk techs to volunteer their time and gently caress that. Especially when your highly educated and skilled* rear end is getting paid less than someone stocking shelves as Costco.

*Side note: Aside from the tickets that came in the help desk handled most of the most systems administration, email administration, virtualization, most networking tasks, company cell phones, printers (gently caress printers), everything to do with desktops/laptops etc. 3 full time people for around 800 employees. There were 3 other people there whose job titles would have suggested that they handled most of those tasks but the IT director was fine with them pushing all their work off onto the help desk. Help desk didn't like it but frankly things went smoother when the help desk handled everything. The lazy assholes making the help desk do everything tended to completely gently caress up everything they touched.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Shukaro posted:

I think I'd much rather give students these instead of overpriced tablets to be quite honest.

I'm actually amazed that for the pricepoint, noone's developed a way to use touchcover surfaces with a policy enforcement app

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Oops. I got my dropbox public links suspended for excess bandwidth usage with those server room photos. Oh well, once they're a few pages back I'm sure less people will be viewing them in rapid succession. Curse you, convenience of [timg]

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

Thanks! Right click saving it this time.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TWBalls posted:

Awesome! I'd been wanting to update that to point out the small UPS that is also suspended by strings.

Obviously prepared for this eventuality:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Here's an alternate explanation for this madness

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

guppy posted:

I have similar concerns, but look at it in this light: it doesn't seem preposterous to suggest that having some kind of computing device is advantageous for a student, relative to not having one. You can look stuff up online, you can type papers, lots of other stuff that you and I take for granted. Now consider that a lot of students in public school systems lack any such device. Giving everyone a device of some kind starts to look like a way to significantly improve equity of opportunity for students. Maybe an iPad winds up being the best choice, maybe it doesn't, but if you've decided to take that plunge, you have to consider the logistics. What's cheapest, since deployment on this scale is a huge chunk of change no matter what you go with? What's easiest to administer? What's easiest to repair or replace? What's the most resistant to the damage that kids will inevitably inflict on it? What's easiest for students to use, both in terms of UI and logistically -- maybe they don't have a place at home to put a desktop computer, but a laptop or a tablet doesn't have that kind of physical footprint.

There are a ton of logistical challenges to be worked out, certainly, but I'm not sure it's as crazy as it sounds.

EDIT: I used the word "logistics" way too much in this post.

Hungry kids don't care that some white people think being able to look up some things on wikipedia means they're set for life.

This is a D&D derail so I'll just end here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Let the LF posting begin :getin:

For content: possible YOTJ incoming! 20k raise, commute from 1 hour->15 minutes, and a TS clearance to boot.

Glans Dillzig fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 27, 2013

• Locked thread