Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Unrelated, how can goons love sriracha so loving much but still not know how to loving say it or spell it? It is like the goon version of calling it a "lie-bary" or eating some "pshgetti".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

That reminds me of a stupid kid in my class who lied about being unable to say spaghetti. He'd be like "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY SPAGHETTI. SEE? SCABETTY." :suicide:

When I'm in the mood for turkey but don't feel like roasting a whole bird, I butterfly a turkey breast, stuff it, and make turkey rouladen. I brine it and love how simultaneously dense and juicy it is.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Spelling is a different matter, but as for saying it...

Because in the English pronunciation of it, the first R is silent?

This is sort of like when George Takei went on that rant about how Americans pronounce Tsunami wrong. Hard Ess sound with a silent T is as close as we can get, George... we just don't have the "tsu" sound in our language.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Rabbit makes a good weird thanksgiving food. It is easy to cook in bulk and is goes pretty well with most traditional t-day side dishes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have hurt my thumb nail opening pistachios. /First world issues.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unrelated, how can goons love sriracha so loving much but still not know how to loving say it or spell it? It is like the goon version of calling it a "lie-bary" or eating some "pshgetti".

How is it supposed to be pronounced? I've only ever heard (and said) it as "sihr-OTCH-uh".

While we're talking about pet peeves I have a major one - why the gently caress is it so common for people to say "[cooking method] off"? "I seared off that steak." "I baked off that loaf of bread." Why do you have to add the word off? It doesn't make any sense and sounds loving stupid!!! Stop doing it!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's related to food being orgasmic when you do it right. Clearly, you aren't doing it right :shepface:

therattle posted:

I have hurt my thumb nail opening pistachios. /First world issues.

Those bastards will go after you if you don't hold them down while you rip their protective shell off. I'm tellin' you. Pistachios are dangerous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's related to food being orgasmic when you do it right. Clearly, you aren't doing it right :shepface:

Those bastards will go after you if you don't hold them down while you rip their protective shell off. I'm tellin' you. Pistachios are dangerous.

I think I need pliers and stout gloves.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

The Midniter posted:

How is it supposed to be pronounced? I've only ever heard (and said) it as "sihr-OTCH-uh".

While we're talking about pet peeves I have a major one - why the gently caress is it so common for people to say "[cooking method] off"? "I seared off that steak." "I baked off that loaf of bread." Why do you have to add the word off? It doesn't make any sense and sounds loving stupid!!! Stop doing it!!

Shree-rah-cha according to the website.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EUIov_eK2Y&t=58s

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
`Cock sauce'.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

`Cock sauce'.

This is the one true pronunciation.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Language please! Keep this thread PG.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sorry. `Felch fondue'.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

I've mostly always heard it pronounced "Rooster".

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have a friend who pronounces it "see-RA-chee." When I asked him why he pronounced c-h-a as "chee" he just sort of frowned and said that he actually wasn't sure why.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
GWC, I hate to interrupt cocksaucechat, but please help me settle an argument. Is baked ziti considered a casserole or not?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

contrapants posted:

GWC, I hate to interrupt cocksaucechat, but please help me settle an argument. Is baked ziti considered a casserole or not?

No :colbert:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Yes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

depends. is a hamburger a sandwich?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Does chili have beans in it?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

GrAviTy84 posted:

that's tacos

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Does chili have beans in it?

Interesting... culinary Socratic questioning. Not the result I expected.

I say yes because it's in bread, and it can :colbert: and the result is delicious, respectively.

Has the casserole question been asked before?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

Interesting... culinary Socratic questioning. Not the result I expected.

I say yes because it's in bread, and it can :colbert: and the result is delicious, respectively.

Has the casserole question been asked before?

no. maybe. probably. GWS has a penchant for pedantic arguments about whether X is ~foodcategory~

edit: personally, yes, baked ziti is a casserole because it is a dish that is baked in a deep pan and served in same pan.

Burgers are sandwiches. Tacos are sandwiches because they are wraps and/or open faced sandwiches which are both sandwiches.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 26, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ziti's definitely a casserole.

I do not like baked pasta dishes of any sort, but I realize they might be popular in the US because very few home cooks here know to finish their pasta in the sauce. So I can see why baked pasta would be preferred to naked pasta with sauce glooped on top. Also explains why we're so crazy about macaroni and cheese - for some reason we sauce that pasta. loving weird.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Is lasagna a casserole if I build it, portion it, freeze it, bread it, and fry it?

e: Also, baked mac n chz is the best. Especially when fried.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

no. maybe. probably. GWS has a penchant for pedantic arguments about whether X is ~foodcategory~

edit: personally, yes, baked ziti is a casserole because it is a dish that is baked in a deep pan and served in same pan.

Burgers are sandwiches. Tacos are sandwiches because they are wraps and/or open faced sandwiches which are both sandwiches.

I agree with all of this.

The points that all of you mentioned are the same points I used. Thanks, everyone!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bartolimu posted:

Basically any time anyone who's not a literal toxicologist says the word "toxins" stop listening because everything else they say on that subject is going to be bogus, superstitious, and/or dumb.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't be a fan of this $26 smoothie?

quote:

Would you pay $26 for "the Ultimate" smoothie? It's hardcore health-in-a-glass, a powerhouse concoction of 15 superfood herbs designed to help heal and rejuvenate body and mind and promote youth and longevity. It's a signature at Shokuiku, the seven-month-old organic raw food and living food cafe run by Japanese-born blogger Yoko Inoue.

It lands on the communal wooden table, a chocolate-brown brew made from coconut water, coconut meat and hemp seed, whizzed up with zeolite (Inoue says most toxins have a positive charge, but zeolite is negative so it attracts the toxins like a magnet), fulvic acid (a powerful antioxidant), Indian herbs (for boosting energy), a blend of 14 medicinal mushrooms, kamu kamu (loaded with vitamin C) and more. "It's really cutting edge," she says.

There's more madness if you click the link and read the whole review.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Spelling is a different matter, but as for saying it...

Because in the English pronunciation of it, the first R is silent?

This is sort of like when George Takei went on that rant about how Americans pronounce Tsunami wrong. Hard Ess sound with a silent T is as close as we can get, George... we just don't have the "tsu" sound in our language.

You pronounce it zoo-nami? :what:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I went to a brewery for work today, and it was good. A few weeks ago, I ate my way across a Chinese Provence for work. Next summer, I'm off to France. I for all the suck my job entails as a writer for a tiny-rear end newspaper, I sure scheme my way into my passion. That's my anti-vent for the day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
today I used my leftover "hot chicken" chicken fried chicken livers and some sausage I needed to get rid of and some mussels to make a beeeeautiful paella.

(hot) chicken livers are apparently amazing in paella. :) mmmm

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Is lasagna a casserole if I build it, portion it, freeze it, bread it, and fry it?

No it's a fritter :v:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

No it's a fritter :v:

Yeah pretty much. Although that sounds like an Italian street festival collided with a country fair.

Drink and Fight posted:

You pronounce it zoo-nami? :what:

No, I pronounce it "sue-nom-ee", with no T sound. According to George, the correct Japanese syllable has a slight T sound to it. It sounded like a "tch" more then a long "tee", but damned if I can say it that way.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I don't know if any of you have seen the inspirational Doobie's DogHouse thread going on in GBS, but it's made me want to try my hand at hot dogs. Would there be any interest in a Cook or Die: Sausage?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

I don't know if any of you have seen the inspirational Doobie's DogHouse thread going on in GBS, but it's made me want to try my hand at hot dogs. Would there be any interest in a Cook or Die: Sausage?

probably. I thought someone was doing COD: Fried Chicken next though. That was discussed in IRC. If it's no longer in the works then sure, sausage sounds awesome.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

probably. I thought someone was doing COD: Fried Chicken next though. That was discussed in IRC. If it's no longer in the works then sure, sausage sounds awesome.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I didn't know there was a plan; I haven't been on IRC. I'm OK with just making myself some sausage anyway then making fried chicken when the thread comes up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I didn't know there was a plan; I haven't been on IRC. I'm OK with just making myself some sausage anyway then making fried chicken when the thread comes up.

nah, you know, "A GOON PROJECT YOU SAY". Throw up a sausage thread, if we just sat around waiting for things people said they'd do in here we'd have...well, the current state of ICSA :iceburn:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm gonna be writing cook or die fried chicken on Saturday unless you already have an OP for sausage going.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm gonna be writing cook or die fried chicken on Saturday unless you already have an OP for sausage going.

Go for it. I don't have anything typed up yet. I'm currently pizzaing for your other thread right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Uuuugh, if I weren't so loving busy the next two weeks I would fry the poo poo out of some pickle brined chicken thighs.