Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
OHBOY, Can't wait to get thoroughly buggered out of this by Sega and whatever assclown ASW gets to not port Super P4A to the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You mean, like ATLUS would do when they were part of Index? Does SEGA have a bad track record when it comes to getting games over the pond?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Iceclaw posted:

You mean, like ATLUS would do when they were part of Index? Does SEGA have a bad track record when it comes to getting games over the pond?

They stopped localizing Phantasy Star and Yakuza for Western audiences because they weren't making the money they wanted off of them. Also, they kinda killed Valkyria Chronicles in its infancy by having the second game come out on a platform that was pretty much dead in the West at the time instead of keeping it on the PS3.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Iceclaw posted:

Does SEGA have a bad track record when it comes to getting games over the pond?
Pretty bad recently. Pretty much the only new Japanese developed games Sega has released internationally recently was Sonic and Project Diva F (the former is still a pretty drat popular IP in the West and the latter is a translation job that probably cost them less than a grand). The concern is that Atlus's small but fairly consistent profits won't be enough for Sega, and that outside of certain hits like a Persona 5 they would not translate Atlus games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think what it will come down to is how they restructure the company in November. If they keep AtlusUSA intact, then there shouldn't be too much of a difference. If they gut AtlusUSA and merge it with Sega of America there may be issues.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
If I'm not mistaken, that trailer also revealed Junpei and Yukari's titles, right? Anyone able to translate them?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm going to be hopeful that a teaser site for a persona related game that goes up over 2 months before the announcement is going to be pretty big. Besides Atlus has been known to do this with major smt games (Devil summoner 2, and SMT IV come to mind). It also would be a good time with the whole sega buying them/ new console generation thing.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 26, 2013

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

DeathBySpoon posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that trailer also revealed Junpei and Yukari's titles, right? Anyone able to translate them?

Yukari's is "Garish Pink Sniper" and Junpei's says something like "Full Power Counterattack Slacker", though there's an additional bit there in the middle of his that's confusing.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

W.T. Fits posted:

They stopped localizing Phantasy Star and Yakuza for Western audiences because they weren't making the money they wanted off of them. Also, they kinda killed Valkyria Chronicles in its infancy by having the second game come out on a platform that was pretty much dead in the West at the time instead of keeping it on the PS3.

Yakuza is a niche as gently caress game in other markets, so that's understandable, while developing games for a handheld that flourished in Japan is par for the course and the PS3 continues to do comparatively terrible in its homeland.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Healbot posted:

Yakuza is a niche as gently caress game in other markets, so that's understandable, while developing games for a handheld that flourished in Japan is par for the course and the PS3 continues to do comparatively terrible in its homeland.

Also it's not like a ton of people bought the first Valkyria Chronicles. A big part of Sega even making VC2 was the success of the VC anime.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Toe2yX7nqU

for those who haven't seen it.

P-1 CLIMAX!!!!

Hearing the announcer try to say the full name was great

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

A neat thing someone linked me.

It begins.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hearing the announcer try to say the full name was great

> Megami Tensei Megathread Mk. III: DE ULTIMAKSU OOTARU SUPAREKASU HORUDOU

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Don't know if this means anything, but the source code on the new teaser site mention a link to the P4U2 site. Could just be a link I missed or one that hasn't been put up yet. This probably doesn't mean anything at all, but as someone said earlier, the teaser site could just be a set of locations for more ULTRA SUPLEX HOLD testing.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

There's a link to the teaser page on the main P4U2 page too.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Just a quick question for thoseof you who plyed P4: Generally speaking, how do you spread raising characteristics and social links? I always feels like I'm not striking a good balancein that department.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So long as you max out the three party members you intend to use, it doesn't really matter what other S. Links you get. So just do whatever.

Also, keep in mind the rainy day beefbowl challenge raises characteristics.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
With P4, things became a little easier to schedule in my opinion because a few set themselves aside as being more important than usual:

Tier 1: You have party member S. Links, who directly impact important characters in the story and increase their abilities in battle. So an obvious priority.
Tier 2: Hermit is important to make dungeon crawling more manageable.
Tier 3: Justice, Hierophant, Aeon, and Jester are very important characters in the story so it's natural to keep them up as well
Tier 4: Sun, Temperance, and Strength give you great social points. You can also ignore Strength after your Diligence hits level 3.

Those groups I believe are the best ones to keep in lockstep with each other, with slight priority given to the higher tiers. There's no real consequence to ignoring the others, except for maybe Tower because of Yoshitsune. But Tower being a nighttime S. Link should render that problem moot anyway.

For a first time player, I actually think I would go ahead and claim that they should completely ignore Hanged Man, Moon, and maybe Death. And Strength eventually as well. Doing so should result in plenty of time to max everything else, especially the all important Tiers 1-3.

For social stats themselves, as long as you don't neglect Tier 3, study every now and then at night, and eat beef bowls on rainy days, you will easily max them out around September-October. This is even easier in P4G where you can read books to increase the rate the stats go up.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If you don't max Kou and Daisuke you can go gently caress yourself. Those guys are bros.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I played the game twice. It's just that on my first playthrough I focused a bit too much on my stats, and barely maxed Magician, Emperor and Priestess, with other very close (I was caught by the early lock out on Justice and Hierophant, among other things), and on my second playthrough I barely raised them up, which ended biting me on the rear end with exam results and the links with a status check like... Justice and Hierophant, again. But yeah, thanks you guys.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By your second playthrough, shouldn't they have been completely maxed out? Or close? Did you not do a NG+ run?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Well, I played the game twice. It's just that on my first playthrough I focused a bit too much on my stats, and barely maxed Magician, Emperor and Priestess, with other very close (I was caught by the early lock out on Justice and Hierophant, among other things), and on my second playthrough I barely raised them up, which ended biting me on the rear end with exam results and the links with a status check like... Justice and Hierophant, again. But yeah, thanks you guys.

New game+ lets you carry over your social stats. I find it better to focus on maxing those the first playthrough while maxing core party members. The second playthrough then leaves you free to S.Link all you want.

E:fb

The only thing I think you have to do is the summer homework.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

My second playthrough was started from scratch, because I had lost my memory card beforehand. My actual isn't, really, it feels a bit like cheating to start out with an already tricked out Compendium and Renaissance Man Yu. So far, I try to spend about two evening a week studying, and working at least once a week.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

You didn't max nanako and dojima????? Get out of here, hitler.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game pretty much encourages you to do a new game plus and even makes it impossible for some of the choices in the first months to be made unless you are in NG+. Asking Chie for her phone number comes to mind, but there are a couple others as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Iceclaw posted:

My second playthrough was started from scratch, because I had lost my memory card beforehand. My actual isn't, really, it feels a bit like cheating to start out with an already tricked out Compendium and Renaissance Man Yu. So far, I try to spend about two evening a week studying, and working at least once a week.
For my own anecdote, I usually max out Knowledge by the exams in July, Understanding/Expression by September or early October, and Diligence in November or thereabouts. This should be very feasible if you keep Sun/Temperance in lockstep with party member S. Links, go to the Meat Dimension maybe once a month, and study a couple of times every week.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really hope whoever made the astrology quiz in the Astro Museum in Soul Hackers dies a slow, painful death.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dorroile posted:

I really hope whoever made the astrology quiz in the Astro Museum in Soul Hackers dies a slow, painful death.

I just memorized the answers after brute-forcing it a bit. :v:

Have you tried using the Game Notes with the info the game gives you?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Booky posted:

I just memorized the answers after brute-forcing it a bit. :v:

Have you tried using the Game Notes with the info the game gives you?

Yeah, i finally managed to beat it after bruteforcing it for like 45 minutes. Now my MC and Nemissa are both lv18 and i have 7300 MAG due to constantly walking back to the quiz room and taking my frustration out on random demons. :v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Policenaut posted:

A neat thing someone linked me.

I think he'll just be a new character like Labrys. The story mode for P4U indicated a villain that you never get to see, so there's probably tons of material for them to continue with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dehry posted:

The game pretty much encourages you to do a new game plus and even makes it impossible for some of the choices in the first months to be made unless you are in NG+. Asking Chie for her phone number comes to mind, but there are a couple others as well.

I think the school campout has the only stat-required dialogue choice that's too early to get on a new game, and actually has any practical benefit. I don't remember any other early choices that do anything but make people go :swoon: at you.

Max stats are still nice for having a shitload of extra free time, and getting a head start on lots of Social Links.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dorroile posted:

I just googled it v:shobon:v

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I just googled it v:shobon:v

I remember trying that too and finding out the hard way that it's timed on top of being random.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are only a few questions and someone on gamefaqs I think had them all listed.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I just shoved all of the stuff into a notepad file and did it that way. At any rate, it's better than the VR Park. Whose smart idea was it to put a Healing Space but not a Terminal there anyway?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A bigger problem I have with Soul Hackers are the instant death spells. I'm pretty sure 100% of my deaths have been due to cheap Mudo's or getting Petrified. Maybe half of which were surprise attacks. The Back-Up software is nice but it sure isn't what I'd call a fix either.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

No enemy in any game should ever have an insta-kill. Ever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
You can buy the Death nullifying watches, but then you're tanking your defense. Still, better than dying instantly.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nate RFB posted:

A bigger problem I have with Soul Hackers are the instant death spells. I'm pretty sure 100% of my deaths have been due to cheap Mudo's or getting Petrified. Maybe half of which were surprise attacks. The Back-Up software is nice but it sure isn't what I'd call a fix either.

I only died once from instant death, running around the area where Katakirauwa appear in groups of 5-9, and do mudo like once every round or two.

The only other deaths I had was from doing so much damage to repel phys enemies that I died from being too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, I definitely got myself killed on a few reflect demons. I highly recommend turning on the option to showcase enemy weaknesses even if it's your first time seeing them. Aaaaaaaand just before writing this post I proceeded to die 4 times via Mudola on the way out of a dungeon to see for myself if one of the shops had something that Nulled Death (they did). Wee.

I think it's kind of funny how easy it is to make money in a game where you don't actually get money from battle. I've currently maxed out both the money I have on hand and the money in my bank account; I think my Magnetite is somewhere around ~500,000 at the moment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 28, 2013