Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

^^^^ well played ^^^^

I don't understand how Cookie Monster calculates 'worst upgrade'. How can they all be the worst? Compared to what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Merijn posted:

^^^^ well played ^^^^

I don't understand how Cookie Monster calculates 'worst upgrade'. How can they all be the worst? Compared to what?

It's compared to everything, just like the other stuff. Purple means it's worse than a building you can buy (or it doesn't know it's worth, like the clicking 1% upgrades). If they're blue that means they're better than any building. They also go through all the colors like the buildings. So they'll go red, orange, yellow, and then blue. I've never seen them go green.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

PureRok posted:

It's compared to everything, just like the other stuff. Purple means it's worse than a building you can buy (or it doesn't know it's worth, like the clicking 1% upgrades). If they're blue that means they're better than any building. They also go through all the colors like the buildings. So they'll go red, orange, yellow, and then blue. I've never seen them go green.

They go green and blue pretty quickly, especially the kittens and the grandma upgrades.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Well I finally closed the browser tab and quit at 2270 Heavenly Chips. It turns out I was just addicted to upgrades, not cookies. The numbers all blurred together and started over and there's nothing left to do.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

It finally happened. As I was trying to wrap my head around the potions in Candy Box while waiting for my lollipops to tick up so I could get more candies per second while waiting for the next golden cookie so I could get the next condenser so I could get the last achievements so I could reset again so I could get more heavenly chips while gathering wood so I could build more traps to gather more fur I went "wow, gently caress this." and closed the dark room, then candy box, and finally, cookie clicker. Seeya guys, I'm going to take a walk and maybe do an oil painting or some poo poo.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Pizzatime posted:

It finally happened. As I was trying to wrap my head around the potions in Candy Box while waiting for my lollipops to tick up so I could get more candies per second while waiting for the next golden cookie so I could get the next condenser so I could get the last achievements so I could reset again so I could get more heavenly chips while gathering wood so I could build more traps to gather more fur I went "wow, gently caress this." and closed the dark room, then candy box, and finally, cookie clicker. Seeya guys, I'm going to take a walk and maybe do an oil painting or some poo poo.

You probably would have stuck with it longer if you saved up for the cart instead of building more traps. It's a far better investment.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Pizzatime posted:

You probably would have stuck with it longer if you saved up for the cart instead of building more traps. It's a far better investment.

A Dark Room is an awesome game. And is indeed an actual game. You just need to play it a bit at first. It actually has a neat twist and a bit of a story. Without really any words. It does show not tell really well.

I just beat it earlier and I thought it was great. It should only take a few hours to beat at most.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Pizzatime posted:

Seeya guys, I'm going to take a walk and maybe do an oil painting or some poo poo.

PAINT A COOKIE

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Tenik posted:

Have you tried Candy Box?

"oh haha i remember this, glad I beat that game wait what's this link OH YOU MOTHERFUCKER"

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

PureRok posted:

I've never seen them go green.
Green means the upgrade is precisely equal in value to a building, so you'll really only see it at the very beginning of the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dregan posted:

"oh haha i remember this, glad I beat that game wait what's this link OH YOU MOTHERFUCKER"

Oh god. I'm going to have two tabs that will be open forever now, aren't I?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm sure Candy Box gets crazy and great but drat does it take forever to get there.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah I couldn't take Candy Box for too long. Oh, I only have 1 candy per second. Oh, I can upgrade it with several thousand lollipops which will, themselves, cost me unholy amounts of candies or involve waiting like five days. Oh, quests give me candies but after each quest I have to wait like a minute to spin again.

Once I realized it'll be weeks before I get anywhere fun, I closed the tab.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Sudoku posted:

Yeah I couldn't take Candy Box for too long. Oh, I only have 1 candy per second. Oh, I can upgrade it with several thousand lollipops which will, themselves, cost me unholy amounts of candies or involve waiting like five days. Oh, quests give me candies but after each quest I have to wait like a minute to spin again.

You run peaceful forest over and over until you find a few chests. Chests are pretty rare but contain something like 500 candies each, as well as some other stuff.
Lollipops start growing really quickly when you plant a lot of them.

Gentleman
Aug 19, 2006

Would you let me see your panties?

Sudoku posted:

The lollipops accelerate rather quickly they just take a bit to get going. The whole game is easily beatable in one day (I spent one day on normal mode and one day on hard mode).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I gave up on Candy Box because I picked what seemed to be by far the worst sword upgrade (life, because I thought it meant heal on hit instead of heal on kill) and there's no way to get a different one without restarting the game.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I think I have reached the point where things are going extremely slow. It is my first playthrough though. How many heavenly chips should I collect before the first soft reset is worthwhile? I am at 20 chips now according to the calculations.
Also, could somebody explain in simple terms what the effects of the Grandmapocalypse are, in terms of cookie production? I don't really understand the stuff on the wiki page, except for the fact that the background changes and the golden cookie becomes a red cookie and that I can pay a lot of cookies to reverse it, but why would I do that, I wonder?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Reset when you get bored. Pretty much any amount of heavenly chips will make the early game go much faster.

That's all the grandapocalypse does. Red cookies are worse than gold cookies because they usually have negative effects. They also have one really good positive effect golden cookies don't have but gold cookies still pay better on average.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sindai posted:

I gave up on Candy Box because I picked what seemed to be by far the worst sword upgrade (life, because I thought it meant heal on hit instead of heal on kill) and there's no way to get a different one without restarting the game.

And I just gave up on candy box because apparently it doesn't save for you automatically and I just accidentally hit the back button and hey I am not gonna start over.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I thought the worst part about candy box was that there is a cap on Lollipop production. Only 100/sec? What am I supposed to do with that!? I just threw all my candies on the ground in disgust and never looked back. Cookies forever.

Potion crafting and questing was kinda nifty, I guess. But I'm sure dungeons in Cookie Clicker will far surpass it.

Gentleman
Aug 19, 2006

Would you let me see your panties?

Ramengank posted:

I thought the worst part about candy box was that there is a cap on Lollipop production. Only 100/sec? What am I supposed to do with that!? I just threw all my candies on the ground in disgust and never looked back. Cookies forever.

There are ways to increase it further:ssh:

vvv: All entirely true, but it made for a nice supplement while waiting for golden cookies for a couple days I thought.

Gentleman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Gentleman posted:

There are ways to increase it further:ssh:

Mostly after you beat the game, the one in the castle comes so late in the curve that it's largely immaterial.

I just think that the power spikes in questing are baffling. You have to sit on lollipops FOREVER to get a few sword increases so you can get through the cave/gate, then once you get the cauldron from the stairs you basically just chainchug invuln + teleport + seed for everything else that doesn't have a gimmick, and once you get the two optional keep items and the cow level item it's just a matter of doing all the levels and winning.

It's just incredibly hard to go up a level in the largely non-interactive quests until all of the sudden you can bake yourself invulnerability for the entire stage. Once you beat the dragon the rest of it is just preparing and then you beat the developer levels and hey it's immediately over.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

http://candies.aniwey.net/index.php?pass=cnaw8

Someone will probably gently caress up the save within 10 minutes of posting this, but thats what the end of candybox looks like

Edit: Also, 999 Dc (10^33) seems to be the upper limit on production and bank

The Duggler fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 27, 2013

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm currently sitting at 30 billion CPS with all the upgrades and all but 3 achievements - 777 golden cookie clicks, and the ones requiring 100 condensers. Should I go for another restart with even more heavenly chips or just wait this one out?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This MMO has a lovely endgame. The last few condensers :negative:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I want a AAA release version of this game by like Rockstar and David Lynch does the art direction and some some voice work my Michael Fassbender or someshit it would basically be a license to print money.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

I want a AAA release version of this game by like Rockstar and David Lynch does the art direction and some some voice work my Michael Fassbender or someshit it would basically be a license to print money.

"Heeeey cousin, let's go bowlingclick cookies!"

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 27, 2013

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
^ vastly improved characterization right there

How are all of you getting named numbers like 5.42Qa are you using some dirty cheat program?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr. Wynand posted:

^ vastly improved characterization right there

How are all of you getting named numbers like 5.42Qa are you using some dirty cheat program?

It all depends on your opinion of Cookie Monster.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
At work today I was walking down the open plan office at 7pm (ie everyone should be gone) and I noticed a girl and a guy with cookie clicker up on their screens clicking away. The girl was apparently leaving an hour late due to getting addicted. Horrifying! What a way to spend Friday night. (She bragged about having 4 Time Machines, ha!)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I only have one last condenser to get (and the Grandmapocolypse upgrades), and then I'll close it until dungeons. Already feeling a little overpowered, and I didn't even game for chips.

I even got black cat's paw legit and didn't notice he added condensers until a few days ago :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I tried playing the game on my tablet, but when I started tapping the browser just kept on zooming in. Seems I need a mouse! What a waste of time :(

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I have clicked many cookies to get here... and have almost quadrupled my heavenly chips as well.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Nth Doctor posted:

It all depends on your opinion of Cookie Monster.

Hmm. The timer I guess. I can turn that off though. I'm tired of counting thousand separators though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How do people have Black Cat's Paw legit? Based on my calculations there's only been enough time for 9000 or so golden cookies to spawn (assuming all upgrades) since the golden cookie click count was made to not drop to 0 during a reset, and I imagine most players reset not long before that thanks to the prestige system. Do you people just not sleep or ever do anything other than cookie clicker?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How do people have Black Cat's Paw legit? Based on my calculations there's only been enough time for 9000 or so golden cookies to spawn (assuming all upgrades) since the golden cookie click count was made to not drop to 0 during a reset, and I imagine most players reset not long before that thanks to the prestige system. Do you people just not sleep or ever do anything other than cookie clicker?

They cheat

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
So, whats the optimal timing for a first reset? I have no heavenly chips, and 339T cookies baked all time. CPS is 2b right now.

73/89 on achievements, missing 200 cursors, 100 condensers, etc.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Or they had some before the achievement was added. Some people aren't going to reset as often.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Use the auto-golden cookie clicker to get that achievement. There's no point trying to get it legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chakan posted:

Or they had some before the achievement was added. Some people aren't going to reset as often.

Even if they only reset the moment Prestige was introduced and never reset for the week between then and when Antimatter Condensers were introduced, they'd still need to be playing Cookie Clicker for an average of twelve hours per day for three whole weeks in order to get Black Cat's Paw.

Maybe "legit" here means "used an autoclicker, but didn't directly cheat in the achievement"?

• Locked thread