Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Just teach the basic stance quickly (i.e. "first you need to stand like this" and pose like that, and while they are trying to mimic you, explain [i]why/i] they are assuming such a funny position) and then go jab + straight thrown from basic stance. Have them throw jab + straight in the air a few times, that'll be their warmup. If possible have them try those with gloves on with each other (the other person holding gloves as pads) and I swear at this point you're out of time already.

THIS.

I've taught boxing to highschool students as part of their self defense curriculum. In two 1 hour sessions I could basically go over a 1-2 and how to block them a bit. People will slow you down more than you think. But that's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, I used to instruct basic courses part-time like I've mentioned before and it's spectacular how little people grab on in 2,5 months especially if they are not extremely interested to begin with (don't ask me why people start something with that attitude, I don't know). Of course it's the teachers fault as often as not, but trying to learn other folks into anything in a few hours never mind less, or even to get them to appreciate all that there is to learn, is quite a task.

In a few short minutes all you can offer them is a demo if it comes to physical activity.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Gaz2k21 posted:

Any tips on getting good at push ups?? On a good day I can knock out 30 straight but I'd like to be able to do more

Do a lot of them often.

When I was a kid I wanted to get better at push-ups because I thought they were cool or something. I did 2 sets of max rep every night before going to bed and I went from barely doing 15-20 to sets of 70+ pretty fast.

Same is happening right now since this new dojo I go to seems to like doing some hard warm-ups that always involve 100+ push-ups and it's now getting pretty easy to do 3-4 sets of 30 push-ups while it really sucked the first few times.

Endurance based stuff like push-ups really just require you to do a poo poo ton of them on a regular basis. It's not really taxing on your body so you can actually do them pretty much every single day and still be completely fine.

That said, I don't see a reason to do all that many push-ups. Having a lot of endurance in the pecs and triceps doesn't seem all that useful for martial arts. But they do seem to help with my shoulder problems somehow so I'm happy.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2013

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Coming from a newbie who is terrible at pushups, I sometimes have some trouble with punching and clinching endurance, so I'd say pushup power would be valuable if you're at the lower end of the spectrum.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
re: pushups, hundredpushupsdotcom. at the end of 6 weeks i could do 93 so that ain't too bad.

got a question for mechafunkzilla (or FD or anyone else in the know), i'm about to go on a sojourn where there will be no access to any MT / BJJ classes and no-one to spar with, but i have access to weights etc so i'm thinking i work on some ancillary poo poo that would usually get neglected (ie range of movement, flexibility, strength, agility). i've got 3 months.

could you make any recommendations?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Marching Powder posted:

re: pushups, hundredpushupsdotcom. at the end of 6 weeks i could do 93 so that ain't too bad.

got a question for mechafunkzilla (or FD or anyone else in the know), i'm about to go on a sojourn where there will be no access to any MT / BJJ classes and no-one to spar with, but i have access to weights etc so i'm thinking i work on some ancillary poo poo that would usually get neglected (ie range of movement, flexibility, strength, agility). i've got 3 months.

could you make any recommendations?

Uhhh sure. I'll just post some random thoughts.

-Stretching and rolling are super important for mobility. I would pay special attention to your pecs, rear delts, calves, hip flexors, gluteus minimus, piriformis, and IT bands.

-For shoulder mobility I like scapular wall raises and rotated shoulder press. To do a rotated press you keep your elbows in line with your shoulders and align your fist/forearm so that your knuckles are in line and pointing towards your shoulder. Keep this alignment as you press up, it's really hard and if you do it right you won't be able to get full extension at first even with no weight. To make it even harder and ensure you're not rotating your shoulders to cheat you can do both arms at once.

-Cossack lunges and lunges/twisting lunges are great for hip and leg mobility, and for having power coming out of unusual and asymmetrical positions. In general I like any exercise that involves an active stretch, too.

-Chest flyes (with dumbbells or cables) are suprisingly functional for grappling, and also give you a valuable active pectoral stretch.

-When I do dumbbell bench, I like alternating (like you're pushing and pulling at the same time, weights meet in the middle) to engage my core.

-Dumbbell/barbell or cable front raises are really functional for any kind of gi grappling.

-Dumbbell or cable pullovers are another great active stretch exercise (shoulders/lats) that will make your clinching and snapdowns more powerful. Plus you get that rad "second ribcage" serratus anterior development.

-I really like compound circuits to replicate the kind of work you wind up doing in a match. My go-to is pullups, pushups or dips, and goblet squats. You can do these by reps (as many reps as you can without your form or speed breaking down and, say, 5 times around the circuit total) or by time (5 minutes of 3 pullups/6 pushups/10 squats, for example). Going by reps works more your muscular endurance, by time is more muscular recovery and cardio.

-Another way to work your recovery and endurance is to pick an exercise and do a moderate rep set every minute on the minute, until your form breaks down. In general, you never want to go until actual failure, so once you start to really slow down, stop.

-Weighted crunches and plank variations all day erryday.

-Wood choppers in all directions (and with cable or dumbbell) and cable standing side bends are great for developing obliques and core strength.

-Interval training is great cardio in that it greater replicates the way you actually work in a match. I especially like Tabata interval squats or thrusters.

-Exercises that work your balance are really awesome and helpful. My go-tos include 1-leg stiff legged deadlifts, 1-legged squats, pushups on medicine balls, and "handoff" pushups with one medicine ball in the middle.

I don't want to poo poo up the thread too much but I'd be happy to talk more about it or answer questions on my TFLC log.

e: ooh and also 'teacup' and broomstick stretch variations are great for shoulder mobility

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 24, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If you can make a ghetto agility ladder(painting the ground, using sticks, whatever) do it. They're great for making footwork better.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
[EQUIPMENT CHAT]

Copped a new pair of gloves since I got tired for hunting for a matching pair of gloves from the gym's glove pile. Ended up going with the Fairtex BGV-1 Classic in 12oz. I've heard horror stories from people saying that breaking in a new pair of gloves will suck and hurt the hell out of your hands for a while.

Gotta say, I don't know what those folks are talking about. I threw the gloves on for the first time yesterday and they worked great. The gloves fit nice and snug around my girl hands with hand wraps on. You could say they fit like a glove!

Hit the bags for a while, went through a MT class and the gloves came through. No hands hurting, nothing. I love the gloves. And while I totally should not care, they did get lots of compliments at the gym when I threw them on.

Also, no Muay Thai practitioner's collection of hand wraps is complete without pink skull hand wraps. I heart these things already!

---

I'm not too familiar with this fellow, but I'm attending a seminar put on by my gym with Kevin 'the Soul Assassin' Ross teaching. He's supposed to be a total badass. Hopefully I can pick some things up tonight as a beginner. He's supposedly going to be drilling clinch techniques among other things. Great because we've hardly trained clinching in the beginner level courses.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
This is a worthless post but good God I love uppercuts these days, one of the better guys at the Art of Holding Mitts was attending class yesterday and I was running uppercut to the body and face thing, we didn't have even pairs so I gots to join in.

When you get the leg pivot and spring (I just about always try to pivot my leg when throwing hooks and uppercuts, y0), weight shift and hip-body-shoulder rotation into an uppercut perfectly (at least as well as you personally can) and slam it all the 1 or 2 feet your fist actually moves with aaaaall your geek nerd body behind it with someone with decent mitts, it's. Like. Very satisfying. You guys know what I mean?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

This is a worthless post but good God I love uppercuts these days, one of the better guys at the Art of Holding Mitts was attending class yesterday and I was running uppercut to the body and face thing, we didn't have even pairs so I gots to join in.

When you get the leg pivot and spring (I just about always try to pivot my leg when throwing hooks and uppercuts, y0), weight shift and hip-body-shoulder rotation into an uppercut perfectly (at least as well as you personally can) and slam it all the 1 or 2 feet your fist actually moves with aaaaall your geek nerd body behind it with someone with decent mitts, it's. Like. Very satisfying. You guys know what I mean?

It's even more satisfying in sparring. Oh god I need to spar I miss it so much.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hate uppercuts because I suck at uppercuts

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

When sparring frankly it's a bit scary. Even if your uppercut sucks like my pillow punches do, it still snaps the head back like it does. First time ever I connected with a loose (= powerful) uppercut on someone from between his hands I freaked out myself. I thought I rattled his brain out of position, and was scared to uppercut anyone again for a long while :\

Fun stuff: when knocking contact lenses out of peoples heads if you're a meanie, uppercut! You'd think scraping hooks do the trick better but nah, the head jerkin' uppercut is the best ever for that, I guess the upward angle of the punch makes the socket contract somehow and the high percentage of contact helps so *pop* off they fly :v:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hey MT folks: When delivering a forward knee (not in the clinch), which part of the knee do you want to hit with? I've been striking with the patella and I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

I love being super pumped about punching people.

I've been teaching Kickboxing here now for two years, and my best friend and best training partner moved away in June (and passed away RIP Cornelius), so I had no one to train with. In walks a dude yesterday; about 15-160 (my weight) who has two years of muay thai experience. And he's a lefty. And he can do work properly. We had the most fun kickboxing ever. I'm going to make this guy my best friend. I know how you feel. I got so pumped I accidently hit a girl I teach with a straight right flush in the face. I finally have someone again who can push me a bit. I'm better, but he gives me a good fight, especially with being left handed. I'm so excited, since none of my students can really hit me much (I think it's also because I teach them so its mental).

SUPER DUPER PUMPED ABOUT PUNCHING PEOPLE! :)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Matt Hamel has been training at our gym for his upcoming fight and is an all around cool guy.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KidDynamite posted:

I know what you mean. Just sparred with my coach today for the first time in 2+ years and it was so exhilarating even though I got just 3 clean hits in the whole session

So happy that I went 6 rounds without gassing out :dance:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey MT folks: When delivering a forward knee (not in the clinch), which part of the knee do you want to hit with? I've been striking with the patella and I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do.

That's the right thing to do.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
Muay Thai: Hit em in the place where it's soft with the place where it's hard.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

We train to hit our knee strikes not with the patella, but the tip of muscle on the inner side of the knee (Vastus medialis).
You can do it by twisting your ankle to the outside when you throw a straight knee.
I've found it helps me put more power through my hips and avoids hurting my patella on people's elbows.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Had a few awesome jiu-jitsu rolls last night. Did a Kimura and a botched attempt-at-a-triangle-turned-into-armbar submissions against a relatively new guy. Also had a loving excellent round against the instructor, I had to be on the defense all the time, but slipping out of submissions and trying to get a better position felt awesome as gently caress.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hey guys, we had an instructor class today training with these things here, Sandbells, which are apparently some sort of hip and cool new poo poo method of, uhh, training. Watch this video of fit people slamming with them, or then don't.

Anyone here have any experience with these?

My first impression is somewhat similar with my first kettlebell sets because it hits your core pretty hard and also your arms and hands with all the gripping at first (of course that'll vanish after 4-5 classes). The part I liked the most was where you throw one with a partner, like medicine ball training for punching power.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

Hey guys, we had an instructor class today training with these things here, Sandbells, which are apparently some sort of hip and cool new poo poo method of, uhh, training. Watch this video of fit people slamming with them, or then don't.

Anyone here have any experience with these?

My first impression is somewhat similar with my first kettlebell sets because it hits your core pretty hard and also your arms and hands with all the gripping at first (of course that'll vanish after 4-5 classes). The part I liked the most was where you throw one with a partner, like medicine ball training for punching power.

Seems like it's very similar to regular sandbag training which is always a great thing and will kick your rear end. I don't see why they wouldn't be good for conditionning, especially as a grappler, but they aren't anything new.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
OK! Coaching question.

I have a BJJ student, but I think this'll go for any martial art, who I can see does really well technically, he's got good setups, he's got good movement, he sees things.. but in tournaments he always ends up losing. He cannot seem to pull the trigger/finish, even when he's dominating a dude the entire round.

It's so frustrating, because I can tell he's really good -I think skill wise, he moves better than the guy who does win all his tournament matches.(the firs also gets bad matchups, it's always that 17 year old kid thats about to be a bluebelt that tournament (it's literally happened 4 times now that a guy who beat my guy got his blue belt right then).

It's super frustrating for me, I feel terrible because I want my man to win.

How can I help him pull the trigger? Does anyone have any suggestions (I might just be looking at it from the wrong direction, so id like some fresh ideas)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

- make sure you're conveying that its the process, not the result, that matters (crappy draws/reffing/etc will even out over time...your effort and prep are what you can control)
- review video of his matches and point out the technical things he did right/wrong (its really helpful to have specific things from tourney's to focus on, often they're completely different than what you run into even rolling at 100% in the gym...and also keeps from getting mired down in vague "wow I just didn't bring it" kind of thinking)
- more tournaments = more comfort in tournaments (not being there obviously I don't know specifics, but if he's gripping at all this applies since defntly the more tourneys you are in the less of a negative impact the environment has on your performance)

This is just my experience as a low level blue-belt doing crappy regional tourneys and probably poo poo you've already thought of anyway, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 29, 2013

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Syphilis Fish posted:

How can I help him pull the trigger? Does anyone have any suggestions (I might just be looking at it from the wrong direction, so id like some fresh ideas)

It's hard to advise based on the description, because of course if he was really dominating all round he'd win on position points whether or not he could finish a sub.

I think you're looking at the qualities of his game that would benefit him at the upper levels of competition (you mentioned his tactical forethought), but forgetting that for white belts winning is more about going in with a simple, coherent strategy than it is about feeling out an opponent and beating them at their own game.

So this is gonna sound obvious, but you either
A- Study his game and fix the holes that opponents are using to win
or B- Switch his strategy to something more complimentary to his 'comfort subs'

I think the first step is to help him figure out how to maneuver his opponents into his game from gripfighting distance. If he can feel dominant from the very start of a match, he'll be more comfortable using resets and scrambles to keep the fight going only on his terms, and be more confident in general.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Ask Chael Sonnen, he used to lose many important fights because he didn't want or probably dare to really win them, until speaking with a sports psych.

Ok, maybe Chael won't answer us.

But if he's good like you describe, it's something in his head mentally. You can go over how to finish the RNC 10 000 times more, but if he isn't ready, willing and wanting more than anything raaaaarrgh to crank it when he needs to against someone who is doing everything he can not to ever lose, never, it won't help.

Anecdote, I lack that "killer instinct" you sometimes hear about, I've had a boxing match where the only angry guy in the ring was my corner dude, because he was so loving livid I just didn't unload on that other guy when he was clearly overwhelmed, I just wanted to have fun and make sure nobody was hurt or something. It might be something or other in his mental approach to a fight? I'm no expert, just a thought, and I don't know how to fix something like that either in grappling.

(In striking it's sometimes about realizing the other guys is out to hurt you, for real, no joke, and that you're not sparring or having "fun" but actually fighting and you need to loving drop that other guy NOW, or ELSE.)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
For competitions I've only done TMA's, which makes me a filthy casual I know, but getting good and mad before a round made a lot of difference in how I fought. I think it's more a TMA thing because we do all our sparring all nice and gentle with our buddies and most of us aren't there to go compete, so you get used to just tapping in like 'I coulda hit you here.' Which is all well and good, but if you get used to just proving that you could have you don't actually end up landing those shots. My advice would be to just have someone roll 'unfriendly' with him a few times before a tournament.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You're talking some sport psychology stuff there my man. I'm not sure how you can convince someone how to fight better past showing them how, it's sort of up to them to sort out their own state of mind if they're holding themselves back.

Unless that's the sort of thing you do professionally it's a pretty loaded question.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this video been posted before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Some guy challenges random people to try and hit him in the face. He doesn't fight back, just dodges. Dude is fast as hell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I love that video, although its a little tricky because those gloves are huge, slowing handspeed a lot, and if you aren't worried about the body, its much easier to duck and weave like crazy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Dude is fast as hell.

:101: He isn't "fast" though as in having reflexes most mortals lack, he just reads the play well. Not meaning to nitpick or take anything away though (I, also, love the video), there's just a certain logic to head movement vs strikes to the head, which mostly involves keeping your head moving much of the time and anticipating the very common left-right-left-right combinations. What I mean is that you don't need to be magically fast to do that, and most of us can learn how, even without having superman speed genetics, if they invest the time, so he is marketing it correctly.

You can try that in a gym with a focus bag. Punch it hard with anything but a straight, and then try to hit it again when it's swinging all over the place. Then imagine there is a human brain controllning the bag which makes it suddenly change direction and velocity once in a while and you'll see how hard it is to punch a head sized moving target.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I was waiting for someone to start lighting up the body for a bit before going for the head to slow him down, but I guess that wouldn't really have been in the spirit of fair play. Ligur knows whats up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

I was waiting for someone to start lighting up the body for a bit before going for the head to slow him down, but I guess that wouldn't really have been in the spirit of fair play. Ligur knows whats up.

I think the rule of the game is no body shots. Otherwise ya, shovel hook to the ribs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I think the rule of the game is no body shots. Otherwise ya, shovel hook to the ribs.

You'd be amazed at how few people throw body shots when they've never worn gloves before.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Which reminds me, it's interesting how hard teaching your average hobbyist to throw body shots actually is. I often say the uppercut was the hardest punch for me to figure out, and is for a lot of people, but in fact it's hooks and uppercuts to the body.

They'll just make this awkward looping motion where they take their elbow and fist way down while standing erect, and then cycle the hand to the target and back up, generating the force of a small fox sneezing. Girls have this thing where they also hold their palms up, and nudge at the bag at waist height. Then you're like, "no no no, look, drop your weight down, keep your fist to your jaw, and rotate your body while shifting weight like every other time and bang throw the punch with your knuckles" and show it to them and they're all like "uhhh..." and go back to standing on erect and lowering a fist to their knees to then nudge it up with the force of a tired cat yawning.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

haha I have seen that exact thing happening right down to the weird hand position.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I get the "palm" up thing if you have it at an angle (a hybrid of uppercut and bodyhook with your thumb facing your nogging) and punch at an upwards vector, but I don't get it when it's 100% level, thumb faces the ceiling, and you nudge forwards with your fingers... Oh well. That's mostly fitness boxers/fitness kickboxers, they can basically do whatever, if they just break a sweat.

Also this is 'sperging-level minutae over the hand position of strangers when doing an activity they will never need HELL YEAH :rock:

I'm off to substitute for this sporty fitness girl who, for some reason, is teaching a fitness kickboxing basic course, and I bet I'll see one or two thought provoking hand positions today ->

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's why I could never be an instructor. I'd have an aneurysm seeing all those lovely punches day in and out. I tried to teach my mom to throw a jab and at one point I asked her " in your head does what you're doing look like what I'm doing?" After that I put her in front of the mirror and pointed out all the wrong. Then I walked away cause it's not nice to be boxing coach mean to your mom.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm sure you would find a very long-suffering KidDynamite if you were instructing complete strangers, out of your own volition, strangers who also voluntarily forked a bit of cash to be taught.

There were a few people who didn't know if they should be in the orthodox or southpaw stance today (everyone was right-handed) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sometimes its hard! I already told my story about my backward-rear end stance: I kept reverting to right leg forward despite being left handed and leading with my left

• Locked thread