Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I've had the G602 for almost a week now, and I'm really enjoying it thus far. I haven't played any twitchy sorts of games yet, but the response time seems fine for MMOs and normal use. I really like the button placement, and the side buttons seem very tactile and responsive.

The software seems to work reasonably well also. No complaints thus far. Battery still displays as full after a week of light use, mixed between performance and endurance modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My G602 just came in the mail today and I'm really impressed with the texture of plastic. It's not too rough/grippy and not too smooth like the Drakonia (basically shiny and slippery). I've never had a mouse with so many buttons so I'm having to learn how to use it to my advantage in World of Warcraft, but I can reach all the buttons really easily with medium-sized man hands. It's got a good weight and really smooth moment so far, too.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 25, 2013

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The grip areas are coated with a special paint that is about midway between the "soft touch" grip on the MX518/G400 and the "dry grip" on the G700/G500. It was selected as a balance between the two extremes of comfort and secure grip - and delivers both pretty well in our testing.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Great! Now if only the software wouldn't forget my profile mid-fight in WoW, I would be really happy. ;)

For anyone that has it, this guy seems to have some tricks that might help prevent the issue: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series-Gaming-Mice/Application-Detection-G700-partially-solved-in-WoW-Win-7-64bit/td-p/524255

Now that I know I can alt-tab and it seems to pick the hotkeys back up, I'm not allowing the tank to die when I can't click manually on my "ohshit" buttons. Knowing Logitech I assume this is on their list of things to fix unless Windows itself is causing the problem.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The only reason I can think of for that symptom occurring is a background program momentarily forcing itself to the foreground for a notification of some sort (meeting reminder, friend logged on IM, new email, Pandora changed tracks, something of that nature) and LGS doesn't detect it going back. That's hard to fix without knowing every exact setup where something like that might occur occasionally.

One thing you can do is change your WoW profile's properties and check the box that tells it to remain persistent while the EXE is running - which would mean that tabbing out while the game is live you wouldn't get your default buttons for, say, Chrome or whatever, but it would prevent the thing from losing your assigned commands during a fight.

Goo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 26, 2013

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That's completely understandable. I definitely tab in and out of Firefox during play and usually have iTunes running. I had no idea there was a persistent function. Thanks, Goo! I'm also happy to report that was my only gripe (no joking -- I'm not trying to gush). Otherwise the software is easy to use and I love the interface.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
My Razer DeathAdder is going out again, I think tossing it around in a backpack was the final straw.

Unfortunately, these things always crap out right after the warranty expires (purchased in August 2011), so I'm in the market for a new mouse.

I have a Steelseries Sensei at my parent's house that is okay. I don't really like the Logitech MX Revolution or G700. I didn't mind the Creative Labs Fatal1ty 1010/2020, but it wasn't my favorite.

If I'm looking for a corded right-handed mouse, is the DeathAdder still my best bet? I see there's a Razer Mamba, but I've never been that big of a fan of wireless mice.

e: Just saw the recommendations for the FUNC MS-3. Does the round button in the middle of the left part of the mouse annoy anyone? I usually wrest my thumb below the two buttons on the DeathAdder; having that round button in the middle might lead to a bit of mis-clicks.

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 26, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The dpi adjust button (small round thumb button) falls under the tip of the thumb for myself and the one other goon I've talked about it with. Your thumb will probably fall below the two back/forward buttons, with the knuckle on the bottom button, and the round one under the tip. I like the layout.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MrCodeDude posted:

My Razer DeathAdder is going out again, I think tossing it around in a backpack was the final straw.

Unfortunately, these things always crap out right after the warranty expires (purchased in August 2011), so I'm in the market for a new mouse.

I have a Steelseries Sensei at my parent's house that is okay. I don't really like the Logitech MX Revolution or G700. I didn't mind the Creative Labs Fatal1ty 1010/2020, but it wasn't my favorite.

If I'm looking for a corded right-handed mouse, is the DeathAdder still my best bet? I see there's a Razer Mamba, but I've never been that big of a fan of wireless mice.

e: Just saw the recommendations for the FUNC MS-3. Does the round button in the middle of the left part of the mouse annoy anyone? I usually wrest my thumb below the two buttons on the DeathAdder; having that round button in the middle might lead to a bit of mis-clicks.

You could try a mionix naos 3200, or something from zowie.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

MrCodeDude posted:

I really doubt you'll hit the dpi button by accident; I really have to try to hit mine. I'd definitely consider the func; it's one of the best mice I've ever used.

The Mionix Naos is pretty nice too - I preferred the scroll wheel and adjustable weighting on the Naos over the Func. The shape, overall comfort and that instant dpi button under the tip of your thumb on the Func are all awesome though.

I still stand by my earlier statement that func should crib the scroll wheel and weighting from Mionix and put them into an ms4 so they can take ~all my money~.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 27, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I would check out the Roccat mice, too.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrCodeDude posted:

Did you have much trouble with it pre-abuse? I've got the same mouse and it has been great for a year now, is there anything I should look out for?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So is there a go-to choice for a bluetooth travel mouse?

I had a Microsoft Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000 before and really liked their "Blue Track" technology.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Moey posted:

So is there a go-to choice for a bluetooth travel mouse?

I had a Microsoft Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000 before and really liked their "Blue Track" technology.

I really like my collapsible Microsoft arc mouse. It's not bluetooth but the usb transceiver is ridiculously tiny.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

MrCodeDude posted:

I had a deathadder before, now I have a Zowie Ec2 evo. They are pretty similar as far as feel goes, if you're looking for that, and my thumb sits right below the thumb buttons on both of those.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Switching back to a wired mouse after using the G602 for a few weeks seems very different. I can't tell specifically what the difference is. At first I thought it might be the polling rate, 500 vs 1000 Hz on a wired mouse. However, I just checked the settings on my old MX518 and it looks like it is stuck on 125 Hz, so that can't be it. The 602 is really heavy in comparison, so maybe that is the difference I'm feeling. It might just be something I get used to over the course of a more weeks. The battery displays at about half now. If I can get another 3 weeks or so, I'll be happy with that aspect.

Honestly, I think my biggest complaint about the G602 thus far is the amount of cervices in the bottom of the mouse for grit to get stuck in.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

o muerte posted:

I really like my collapsible Microsoft arc mouse. It's not bluetooth but the usb transceiver is ridiculously tiny.

A coworker has one and for some reason I do not enjoy it. It just feels unnatural in my hand.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Syle187 posted:

The 602 is really heavy in comparison, so maybe that is the difference I'm feeling.
If you want you can make it lighter by using it with one battery instead of two.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Anyone have a decent replacement for the Logitech G700? I love my mouse but it just keeps breaking (3rd mouse in about 18 months), and I'm sick of RMA/Returning them. I'm looking for something similar, but haven't really been able to find a mouse I like yet.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TheLordOfKraa posted:

Anyone have a decent replacement for the Logitech G700? I love my mouse but it just keeps breaking (3rd mouse in about 18 months), and I'm sick of RMA/Returning them. I'm looking for something similar, but haven't really been able to find a mouse I like yet.

I love my g700s :v:

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

I love my g700s :v:

So do I -- that's the problem they just seem to break so fast.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
How are they breaking? It is very uncommon for an individual to need that many replacements.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Goo posted:

How are they breaking? It is very uncommon for an individual to need that many replacements.

I've had the scroll wheel break twice, and once it just stopped working (no movement but buttons worked (even after a full cleaning and on a diff mousepad).

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Breaks as in stops scrolling, or clicking, or being able to switch between ratchet and normal modes? Not tracking is also really odd - the sensor is a common component that uses the same lens and mounting design as every other mouse manufacturer who uses it.

I'm confused only because if you were describing unintentional doubleclicks it would be something with which I'm familiar, but I've not heard of many scroll wheel or tracking issues.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Goo posted:

Breaks as in stops scrolling, or clicking, or being able to switch between ratchet and normal modes? Not tracking is also really odd - the sensor is a common component that uses the same lens and mounting design as every other mouse manufacturer who uses it.

I'm confused only because if you were describing unintentional doubleclicks it would be something with which I'm familiar, but I've not heard of many scroll wheel or tracking issues.

I think the sensor was the odd man out -- that I have never had a problem with on any other mouse. Its mostly a problem with the ratchet/normal modes -- where the mouse will no longer stay in ratchet, and just spins freely.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Etrips posted:

So before I purchase another g9x, is there a successor to it or has anyone found a suitable upgrade to it?

I'm in the same boat; my current G9's left mouse click is getting screwy but it feels a little weird buying a mouse for $70-90 on Amazon that's 6 years old.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

o muerte posted:

I really doubt you'll hit the dpi button by accident; I really have to try to hit mine. I'd definitely consider the func; it's one of the best mice I've ever used.

Ordered the Func MS-3, it was just delivered a couple minutes ago.

First impressions: I hate the right side of it where I'm supposed to place my ring and pinky fingers. I don't have fat fingers, but my fingers are too big to fit comfortably there. It feels like it's trying to crush them.

I'll live with it for a couple days, but if it doesn't get better, I think it's going back to NewEgg.

For reference, mice I like: Razer DeathAdder, Razer Diamondback, Steelseries Sensei

Limastock posted:

Did you have much trouble with it pre-abuse? I've got the same mouse and it has been great for a year now, is there anything I should look out for?

No, and I don't think it was the traveling abuse that did it in. I just have this terrible relationship with the DeathAdder that just around the 2.5 year mark, the left click dies/malfunctions/sticks/etc. I actually had this happen with a Diamondback before it, too.

And all previous mice were solely desk mice (no abuse).

darkhand posted:

I had a deathadder before, now I have a Zowie Ec2 evo. They are pretty similar as far as feel goes, if you're looking for that, and my thumb sits right below the thumb buttons on both of those.

The Zowie EC2 Evo looks to be twice the price of the DeathAdder. If this MS-3 doesn't work out, I'll probably go back to the DeathAdder.

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 3, 2013

ID Unavailable
Mar 2, 2012

THIS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIT, HUH
My G5 is all hosed up (specifically the mouse wheel, which barely works anymore), so I'm getting a new mouse. More specifically, I want an optical, wired, ambidextrous (for small hands and a claw grip, in retrospect the G5 was an awful choice for a claw grip) mouse with at least two additional buttons (if not 4, not counting LMB, RMB, & MMB).

I'm leaning towards getting a Zowie FK around Black Friday/Tech Monday from somewhere (since it's only $60 on Amazon right now, I figure I can get it for less than that at some point). Any reason not too? It seems like many people are really fond of the FK when it comes to claw grip gaming mice.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Based upon that criteria you should get a Zowie FK immediately and not look back.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

fookolt posted:

I'm in the same boat; my current G9's left mouse click is getting screwy but it feels a little weird buying a mouse for $70-90 on Amazon that's 6 years old.

Pick up a CM Storm Spawn. I like it even better than my g9x!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone recommended me a decent not super expensive mouse. The game I mainly play is League of Legends for reference.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

elmer fud posted:

Someone recommended me a decent not super expensive mouse. The game I mainly play is League of Legends for reference.

What are you looking for? What kind of grip do you have? What are you currently using? What do you not like about it? What is the meaning of a wasp?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Etrips posted:

What are you looking for? What kind of grip do you have? What are you currently using? What do you not like about it? What is the meaning of a wasp?
A dell wired mouse that came with my computer. [url]https://p.secure.hostingprod.com/@https://www.pcplan-it.com/ssl/dell_usb_blk_muvdel1.jpg[/url]

Essentially that

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You don't really need anything fancy for LoL. Hell, that mouse you have is perfect for it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

It's been shorting out and randomly stops working. It's probably the wiring but I'd just like an upgrade

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

elmer fud posted:

It's been shorting out and randomly stops working. It's probably the wiring but I'd just like an upgrade

Logitech G100

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Etrips posted:

Logitech G100

Or the G100s, which is probably a bit more easily available.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Big handed goons, please help. I’m getting desperate here. I am having a hell of a time finding any sort of ergonomically comfortable mouse that won’t cause my pinky finger to cramp up, and I’m not having luck finding anyone else who has had this problem.

I’ve got fairly big hands, 10” tip to tip span, 8” from heel to middle finger tip, 4.5” from pinky edge to thumb edge with my hand closed. I tend to sort of halfway palm grip, halfway claw grip. None of that is really the problem though.

I’m able to - for lack of a better word - roll my hand into a fairly small tube shape. When I’m gaming, I tend to bring the pinky knuckle at the top of my hand down in close to the mouse body, as though I am trying to keep a death grip on the mouse. Actually I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I’m doing. Why, I have no idea, as I rarely lift the mouse or anything like that. The thing is if you squeeze a mouse with the knuckles at the top of your hand, there is never any real resistance to your pinky knuckle area simply sliding to the left across the top of the mouse. This creates sort of a feedback where I squeeze harder, both with my hand and with the inside edge of my pinky. I think it helps having a highly textured mouse body that gives great grip to the pinky finger. Or, some sort of a decently sized grove where I could “lift” the mouse with the top of my pinky. This would probably let me feel more in control of the mouse without having to crush the sucker.

For reference, I think I loved some ancient version of a Microsoft Explorer mouse, back when optical mice were just becoming a thing. I remember it being gigantic. A Logitech MX518 / M500 gave me lasting hand pain within a couple days of use. I recently got to use a Logitech G600 for a little while; it wasn’t great and I didn’t like having all the MMO buttons, but the height of the mouse seemed to help.

The mouse I’ve been using for a couple years is a G9. It’s been OK but still gives me periodic bouts of pain in my pinky. Also the mouse died, so it’s time to move on. So, here’s what I am considering:

1) Buying the most gigantic mouse in the world, http://usb.brando.com/usb-big-mouse_p02543c037d015.html so that I physically can’t close my hand around it.
2) Buying this ugly thing https://amzn.com/B009PHSDBM then cranking everything all the way out and hoping it helps.
3) Checking out the Func MS-3 someone recommended a few pages back. I’m concerned though that those side ridges for the ring and pinky finger aren’t prominent enough. Can anyone comment if those are resistant enough to be squeezed without your hand sliding over the top?
4) Game while wearing a splint on my pinky so that I can’t close my hand.

If all else fails, I’m pretty much going to attach an adjustable Velcro strap to a new mouse. Or bust out the Dremel and some JB Weld and chop my G9 body in half, then set it wider and at a steeper tilt and glue it on to something else. This is getting ridiculous.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I want a chunky mouse
G9 is something like 37mm wide, the G600 is 41mm wide and a big hunk of mouse that may fit your needs. I use the pinky around the right side to squeeze in, but it works out pretty decently. Other than that, I do hear good thing about the RAT mice, as crazy as they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Raised by Hamsters posted:

2) Buying this ugly thing https://amzn.com/B009PHSDBM then cranking everything all the way out and hoping it helps.
3) Checking out the Func MS-3 someone recommended a few pages back. I’m concerned though that those side ridges for the ring and pinky finger aren’t prominent enough. Can anyone comment if those are resistant enough to be squeezed without your hand sliding over the top?

RAT could work but doesn't necessarily get as big as you might expect. If you're going the buy-and-try route, go for the Func. The ridges should be perfect for that assuming you don't have sausage fingers. I lift mine with my thumb and tip of my pinky on the ridge all the time. Its pretty light so that helps it too. They're completely solid and the vertical sides of the ridges are pretty straight up and down, not angled towards the body of the mouse. If anything, the angle of the wall next to the pinky is angled slightly outward, to give a little aid in lifting