Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Usually every couple of weeks on cage cleaning day, I take the whole thing outside and hose it down and give it a good scrub. Well it's ticking into the colder months now, and I was wondering what you guys did for a full cleaning on a cage when it's 10 degrees outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

KariOhki posted:

Usually every couple of weeks on cage cleaning day, I take the whole thing outside and hose it down and give it a good scrub. Well it's ticking into the colder months now, and I was wondering what you guys did for a full cleaning on a cage when it's 10 degrees outside.

Pressure washer + half-assed job as fast as I could because ye gods it's cold out HURRY UP ALREADY.

OKJEFF4
Dec 25, 2004
I got into a motorcycle fight with a ninja and won.

KariOhki posted:

I take the cage apart, put it in the bathtub, and turn the shower on. That gets the big turds and anything that has been glued to it with pee. Then I use a DeWalt steam cleaner to sanitize the thing, if I get the urge. It's actually pretty dangerous, as the steam cleaner gets hot enough to make skin come off.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Best thing in the world: The rats are piled in a hammock and the one at the bottom of the pile is bruxing her little head off :3:

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

tl;dr, pet rat spazzed out a bit and then went to lethargy/chill-mode.

First-time PI post, and two male, fancy rats are my first pets ever (~2 months old). I've read "pop-corning" and seizure/stroke behavior up and down, but this doesn't seem right. During our normal couch playtime with the 2 rats, our more energetic, wheel-running rat had a spaz moment, the likes I've never seen. Next to my wife, it got on it's hind legs and started jumping around for a few seconds. It hopped right up on her lap and continued jumping on her lap while supporting himself on her shirt. 10 total seconds passed and he stops pop-corning-like behavior into shuttering/shivering (It's warm where we live) and his coat furled a little with slight arched back.

He stopped and lied down on her lap and closed his eyes. Afterward, he was lethargic/slow and walked around a bit. 5 - 10 minutes later, it happened again without the jumping. Only the shaking/shivering this time plus he was twitching and kicking oddly. I was nearby and saw his mouth opening and closing, jaw shivering methodically. Then I noticed he was making stool. The stool wasn't very large, altogether abnormal or indicative of constipation. After a while, he picked a corner and curled up for the next 30 minutes, slightly uncommon for an on-schedule playtime. He's been very lethargic during the next playtime.

Back in the cage, he was up at night starting squabbles with his more relaxed brother, non-stop, 2 hours. It's usual for him to use the wheel instead. Today, we fed him apple bits which he usually takes and eats in another place in the cage, but this time he only wanted to eat it if it's only directly from our hand.

Does this sound like anything to be concerned about?

EDIT: Came home from work and he's got a little Porphyrin crust around the eyes. The brothers are napping together.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 26, 2013

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Ugh that must have been so scary OhYo, I'm sorry.
To be honest it does sound like a seizure to me. Do you have a vet who knows about rats (Not all of them do, and its very important to find one who knows rats and their very specific ailments)?
There are a couple of medications a vet might prescribe to treat seizures, of course the long term prognosis depends on the cause, which isn't always obvious with little rats. Diagnostic tests can be a bit expensive, here at least, not sure about in the U.S. But its definitely worth seeing a vet.
I hope your little guy is ok!
I know you might have read it but here's some info:
http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/seizures.php

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

I hope your little guy is ok!
I know you might have read it but here's some info:
http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/seizures.php
He seems to be a lot better, so I'm going to keep my eye on him. They're hitting puberty so things are getting rambunctious again. I've checked that link out, but thanks for posting it. Bookmarking it now for sure. (P.S. the Porphyrin has mostly cleared)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

KariOhki posted:

See, this is why I'm a huge fan of fleece bedding and litter training. My girls all know to poop in the box, and while they do piddle on the fleece, it's MUCH easier to clean the cage when you can take out the blankets, shake it off into the trash or out the door for bits of food/detritus, toss the fleece in the wash and pop the cage into the shower. You still need to give the cage a good soaping and wipe down, but it's very satisfying to not have to scrub poo off anything. And with no paper/chip bedding of any more, there's nothing to get wet and nasty and caked to the bottom of the cage pan.

Plus, fleece blankets are cheap and they last a long time - big bottom pieces get chewed? Turn them into shelf pieces. Chewed more? Turn them into hammocks. Chewed to bits? Who cares, it was cheap.

It's been ages since I read this thread so if everyone here already uses fleece, then good job, and I feel like a moron. :)

Just got 2 new rescue girls a couple weeks ago, and remembered this thread was here. Will try to get pictures tonight. Need help with finding names.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My rats always chew up fleece instantly, making it unusable; and fleece stinks, way more than any other bedding I've used (except carefresh, which is vile).

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I think paper bedding smells vile (carefresh), I won't use wood chips/shavings, and pressed paper pellets I use in the litter box make too much of a mess (plus gross cleanup scrubbing it off the pan). I find any bedding starts to become... fragrant.. after about a week, so I go with fleece as no stinkier than anything else, and much easier to clean. Plus, it looks nice! Maybe I've just been lucky to have rats that aren't very chewy.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I used to use fleece with towels underneath, like you would in a C&C guinea pig cage. The towels absorb the liquids :barf: a little better so the fleece doesn't feel damp in the pee area (which turned out to be anywhere the litterbox wasn't).

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeah, I use a blend of litters in the litter boxes for max odor absorption. Unfortunately, the best place for the rat cage is RIGHT next to the front door (condo livin'), so we have to be really on top of it. But I've had a lot of rats on other beddings in the past, and I've found fleece to be the best. Chewing used to be an issue, but it's really really easy to stay on top of it and figure out what you have to do to keep them from chewing. I haven't had to make new liners in months and months, and it's not because I have magical rats that don't chew.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So, the boys have been separated into two cages since Sunday. Joker and Scooter are clearly MUCH happier. They've been playing, running around the cage, and cuddling wherever they feel like instead of constantly trying to stay away from Garrus.

I think Garrus is happier too, but he also seems a little lonely. He's been letting me handle him quite a bit more, and comes to the cage door when I'm nearby.

I don't think the odds are good that I could find another rat that he would get along with. Hopefully he won't pine away in the cage by himself. His appetite has actually picked up, so that's a good sign at least.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Hello, rat goons.

I found what is very clearly a fancy rat (orange cream head, white body, pretty healthy and clean-looking) by my car this evening. When I came back from dinner, she was still chilling in the same spot. I just gave her some dry cat food, and she is chowing down. I think she was probably abandoned, but what should I do? I've never cared for any rodents before (outside of research mice), and it's probably not wise to try handling one I basically found in an alley. :(

Edit: Whoops. Definitely a little dude.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 28, 2013

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
RazorBunny, that's good, I'm glad he's doing better as a solo rat.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Hello, rat goons.

I found what is very clearly a fancy rat (orange cream head, white body, pretty healthy and clean-looking) by my car this evening. When I came back from dinner, she was still chilling in the same spot. I just gave her some dry cat food, and she is chowing down. I think she was probably abandoned, but what should I do? I've never cared for any rodents before (outside of research mice), and it's probably not wise to try handling one I basically found in an alley. :(

Edit: Whoops. Clearly a little dude.

Oh no!

Don't be certain he was abandoned, some rats are little escape artists and get out of their cages. Though people definitely do abandon them sometimes. I would put up posters like you would for a dog, someone might be very worried.

You probably don't have much to worry about handling him, wear gloves and see if he can be picked up (if you haven't already). A pet rat can not survive out on its own, so maybe take it to a rescue if you can't hold onto it?

If you want something to keep him in you can adapt a plastic storage tub by cutting out part of the lid and cable tying wire mesh over it, some people do that for breeding tubs etc. Or use a small animal carrier (not a cat carrier if it has wide bars, rats can escape through very small spaces) for a temporary holder until you can get him to a rescue or vet, find his owner or decide on keeping him.

For food you might have around, rats like things like rice, dry pasta, Cheerios, small amounts of nuts, fruit and veg. Or bits of whatever you eat.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 28, 2013

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I vote take him home and love him forever :colbert:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Looked up some rat-safe human food, and I have plenty of it. Only gave him the cat food since I was kind of panicking and it was what I had in the car.

So I went back to the lot with a carrier, but he (along with all the food) has vanished. I'll try again tonight (ratties are nocturnal, right?). :ohdear:

If I manage to catch him, I'll try to locate his owners but I also was able to find a bunch of rat rescues in Austin.

Definitely can't keep him, though. I have a very large cat with a very large prey drive.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 28, 2013

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

lots of people posted:

Fleece!

Yeah, I'm already using fleece, but my two ladies are chewers. Even with multiple clips they'll chew off the fleece and move it all around. They get fleece on the top level and ramps, and then Carefresh on the bottom. They're litter trained, so all the poops are in a litter tray (though they love tossing the actual litter OUT) it's just the pee all over the place. Shoving the cage in the shower will probably be what I do once I move out of this house and I won't have someone bitching about the shower being dirty. Thanks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

toot toot quick photoshoot

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

Thems some gorgeous rats you've got there. I love their different eyes! :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know, I love how that photo came out - wish my lovely camera skills (and cheapish camera, but mostly the lovely camera skills) didn't get in the way most of the time.

I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart if not for the eyes, to be honest, but I don't think I'll get pink eyed ones in future. Kriek looks really adorable, and she's a really loving rat, but you can tell the semi-blindness that comes with the eyes holds her back a lot :( I don't think it's something they can really breed out at the moment, but still. It's not like it ruins her life, but it is a shame.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart if not for the eyes, to be honest, but I don't think I'll get pink eyed ones in future. Kriek looks really adorable, and she's a really loving rat, but you can tell the semi-blindness that comes with the eyes holds her back a lot :( I don't think it's something they can really breed out at the moment, but still. It's not like it ruins her life, but it is a shame.

Really? I haven't noticed any difference between my red-eyed Champagne rat and her black-eyed friends. They are all as blind and stupid as each other :downs:.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Some do the head swaying thing and others don't seem very affected. Is it specifically PEWs that have the worst vision I wonder? I had a champagne hooded who while his vision was worse than his brothers, wasn't really limited by it.

OKJEFF4
Dec 25, 2004
I got into a motorcycle fight with a ninja and won.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I know, I love how that photo came out - wish my lovely camera skills (and cheapish camera, but mostly the lovely camera skills) didn't get in the way most of the time.

Do you ever put out blankets or towels to level the playing field? My PEW doesn't sway her head if she is in the dark.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My white guy also does the head swaying thing a lot, but it doesn't seem to keep him from running around and doing his thing. At least he doesn't give the impression of being any less active than his buddy to me.

A small question: are running wheels a good thing to give to rats? I'm a student in a small flat and don't currently have the means to let my ratty buddies run around as much as I'd want to. I had to take them to the vet a few days ago and she said one of the guys is getting a bit pudgy, so I'm looking into ways to keep them fit. I hear they tend to give rats back problems in the long run, though, so I'm not sure whether it's a good idea.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
As long as you get a huge wheel they're fine, their tails will curl sometimes but thats ok. A big enough wheel won't hurt their back. Though I've never had any luck getting any of my boys to use a wheel for anything other than a bed. :)

Also check which ones are safe. Some are dodgy and feet can get caught etc. I'm in Australia so not sure which good rat wheels you guys have, but hopefully someone can recommend one.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 6, 2013

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
We use the 12-inch giant "Silent Spinner" wheel, and have never had any issues.

The wheel is so large I haven't had any of them develop wheelie-tail either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does this one (sorry, German only) look secure to you guys? It's fairly solid-looking and doesn't have any gaps where a rat could get stuck. Expensive as hell, but I guess at least it'll last me a lifetime.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Cardiovorax posted:

Does this one (sorry, German only) look secure to you guys? It's fairly solid-looking and doesn't have any gaps where a rat could get stuck. Expensive as hell, but I guess at least it'll last me a lifetime.

That looks safe, but it's gonna get nasty with pee.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Cardiovorax posted:

...is that ...wood?

Nevermind pee, they'll chew it to bits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the only option I have, there are no other wheels of that size available here, everything else is ~30 centimeters in diameter or less, which is barely bigger than my rats are. I love my guys and everything, but I can't afford importing something even if I wanted to. They've got a lot of wooden stuff in their cage too and have never shown any interest in chewing on it, so I guess at least that won't be a problem.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Get a ratball if you can. I plan on getting one soon so my rats can chill around the house. Also want to grab a leash for outside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

Get a ratball if you can. I plan on getting one soon so my rats can chill around the house.
That's a horrible idea and I recommend that you don't do that. Animals hate being in those things, it's horribly stressful and terrifying to them. They're pretty much considered animal cruelty these days.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a horrible idea and I recommend that you don't do that. Animals hate being in those things, it's horribly stressful and terrifying to them. They're pretty much considered animal cruelty these days.

Well gently caress, guess they're going to be stuck in that cage then. :smith:

EDIT: For clarity I had to move into a no-pet apartment after living in a house for so long so I can't have them running around my room anymore. I also have to hide them in the closet now.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 7, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Garrus actually wanted to come out of his cage and explore a little today! He hasn't wanted to do that in forever. He fights like a mad fiend if I pick him up, so I just left the door open and let him clamber out on his own schedule. He wandered around the table where his cage is for a few minutes, had a staring contest with Leela, and then went back in his cage and went to sleep.

He's still pretty grumpy overall, but he's definitely happier and friendlier in the small cage.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.

JGBeagle posted:

Well gently caress, guess they're going to be stuck in that cage then. :smith:

EDIT: For clarity I had to move into a no-pet apartment after living in a house for so long so I can't have them running around my room anymore. I also have to hide them in the closet now.

I've had several rats in a no-pet apartment, it's not like landlord is going to be watching your every single move inside your unit. They can still free range.

Unless you have a roommate that doesn't know about them and could "rat" on you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You should check if forbidding small pets like rats is even legal where you live. I'm also going to live in a pet-free apartment come December, but forbidding small animals like rabbits, guinea pigs or rats is actually not allowed over here, because there's no reasonable way in which they could damage the apartment or annoy the neighbours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

You should check if forbidding small pets like rats is even legal where you live. I'm also going to live in a pet-free apartment come December, but forbidding small animals like rabbits, guinea pigs or rats is actually not allowed over here, because there's no reasonable way in which they could damage the apartment or annoy the neighbours.

Well, if they escaped rats could certainly do a number on your wiring.

I had one years ago who found telephone cables delicious.