Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sid Meier's (well, his studio) still making Civilisation, the space-sim genre is getting reborn from several different directions at once, Dominions is going mainstream, Obsidian kickstarted an RPG primarily on the premise of making it old-school and hardcore, loving Train Simulator exists on Steam and makes big piles of money with ridiculously overpriced DLC.

It's just thoroughly unpersuasive for them to claim that the Wargames market is unique in some unspecified way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

What tactical Civil War games are there, actually? The last one I remember playing was Civil War General 2, and I'll admit I got that off Home of the Underdogs while that was still up.

Besides Tiller's Civil War games, there's also the Scourge of War series. That latter one is in real-time, but uses the real-time dynamic well enough that it enhances the game (army organization delegation, couriers, very-real fog-of-war). The drawback is that the control scheme is unwieldy. Even if you were delegating your brigades correctly, Myst from the 90s still did it better, never mind Total War or Wargame:EE/ALB

Davin Valkri posted:

"Cross of Iron.

But that's the drat point. I'm a 90s kid and now really interested in these detailed wargames ...

After all, the Close Combat series was originally advertised as just a normal game, right?"
I still have the box, CD, excellent manual and all for the original A Bridge Too Far, which I bought during a trip to the US back in 1998 for the princely sum of 20 dollars.

GOG repackages old games* and sells them for :10bux: tops; Matrix does the same and the price doubles.

* And I doubt anyone would argue that stuff like Capitalism 1/2 and Fragile Allegiance are so out of line with what Matrix offers

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 27, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best experiment would be to convince the guy from Panther games to take the original Conquest of the Aegean and Highway to the Reich and put them on gog.com and see what happens.

Those games can't still be selling even on Matrix given they've been completely supplanted, and they're still good enough to fit right in with the gog selection.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have a phone. I want Command, not WitE. Are there any good grog lite phone titles anyone would recommend?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I just noticed that John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Touch was released for Android and Apple poo poo. Downloading now. They also have Modern Air Power which is pretty cool on my Nexus 7.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have a phone. I want Command, not WitE. Are there any good grog lite phone titles anyone would recommend?

Battle of the Bulge for iPad is a great game, I'm not sure there's any good phone games though. Not enough screen to let you get a good view.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Speaking of GoG, CM Beyond Overlord and Statcom European Theater are like four bucks. Old games should be cheap.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
John Tiller's Modern Air Power is on Android. It's free, and it's very much like Harpoon / Command.

There's also Combat Mission Touch.

I'm not sure if Battle of the Bulge from Shenandoah Games is compatible with iPhones, but if it is that's golden too.

Megadyptes posted:

I just noticed that John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Touch was released for Android and Apple poo poo. Downloading now. They also have Modern Air Power which is pretty cool on my Nexus 7.
Hot drat! Thanks for this! Gonna download that as soon as I get home. John Tiller > Gary Grigsby :homebrew:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 27, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mr. Showtime posted:

If you stream more, you should save the videos on Twitch so that those of us who are at work/otherwise busy can watch them after. You'd be my hero ;-*

fuf posted:

Yeah please do this. :)

I thought it was recording; I was hoping to watch myself and see how to improve. Apparently no one could hear the glorious fleet command OST music I was playing either when I was showing off the ICBMs.
I'm thinking of streaming more command this weekend after I finish at work.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Tomn posted:

What tactical Civil War games are there, actually? The last one I remember playing was Civil War General 2, and I'll admit I got that off Home of the Underdogs while that was still up.

Some slimy fuckhead started a Kickstarter (or IndieGogo, one of those, can't recall which) claiming to be aimed at recreating CWG2, but from the pitch alone it was obvious he had actually _done_ fuckall and gave no indications he had anything approaching the skills to do so.

If I ever hit the lottery, I'm buying Norm Kroger away from the horrible scumbags that run Stormfront Studios and plopping him at a desk, highly paid, until he puts out modern, updated, but otherwise just as groggy versions of both Wargame Construction Kits because nothing except maybe TOAW has come as close to giving you like an entire era of conflict in one box. Goddamn, those games were amazingly fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

I thought it was recording; I was hoping to watch myself and see how to improve. Apparently no one could hear the glorious fleet command OST music I was playing either when I was showing off the ICBMs.
I'm thinking of streaming more command this weekend after I finish at work.

They removed auto archiving on twitch, you need to opt in on your settings page.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it'll stick around about a week and then poof. Just go to your past broadcast and click "save forever." Found the change the hard way when losing two full Vampire Bloodlines playthroughs I did for a friend.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

They removed auto archiving on twitch, you need to opt in on your settings page.

Right! Thanks! I was worried I'd have to record locally somehow.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

Right! Thanks! I was worried I'd have to record locally somehow.

I still can't see your stream from the other day :argh:

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

smr posted:

Some slimy fuckhead started a Kickstarter (or IndieGogo, one of those, can't recall which) claiming to be aimed at recreating CWG2, but from the pitch alone it was obvious he had actually _done_ fuckall and gave no indications he had anything approaching the skills to do so.

If I ever hit the lottery, I'm buying Norm Kroger away from the horrible scumbags that run Stormfront Studios and plopping him at a desk, highly paid, until he puts out modern, updated, but otherwise just as groggy versions of both Wargame Construction Kits because nothing except maybe TOAW has come as close to giving you like an entire era of conflict in one box. Goddamn, those games were amazingly fun.

Norm founded Storm Eagle Studios with Jim Rose.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smr posted:

While I'm sure that the people at Stormfront are horrible scumbags, being white supremacists and all, Norm Koger formed Storm EAGLE Studios, most famously for their Jutland/Distant Guns games and Steam-wannabe DRM client that actually manages to be better than Matrix and Battlefront and HPS Sims combined.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mr. Showtime posted:

I still can't see your stream from the other day :argh:

If he hadn't opted in to archiving before the stream that stream is lost to the ether, never to be found.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that first stream is gone.

Thank god too, I really hosed up my positioning. Naval bombardment requires you to actually pay attention to your ships OR you can set up 'no go zones' in areas the shore-based artillery can reach.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

smr posted:

Putting in an early request for Age of Rifles to be done first.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, that first stream is gone.

Thank god too, I really hosed up my positioning. Naval bombardment requires you to actually pay attention to your ships OR you can set up 'no go zones' in areas the shore-based artillery can reach.

Then you'll just have to stream some more. :colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Going live at 5pm PDT.
http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thanks for streaming this. Playing the game is easy but like all simulation stuff playing it right and actually winning these scenarios is a whole other matter.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Welcome :D

That was fun!
I'm aiming to stream more throughout the weekend.

Edit: working on uploading it to youtube.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Whoops, may have lost my temper with the grognard brigade.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

While I'm sure that the people at Stormfront are horrible scumbags, being white supremacists and all, Norm Koger formed Storm EAGLE Studios, most famously for their Jutland/Distant Guns games and Steam-wannabe DRM client that actually manages to be better than Matrix and Battlefront and HPS Sims combined.

Storm Eagle + Battlefront = Stormfront

ergo all wargamers are hidden racists

(to be fair, there is a number of players who play the games while dressed in an original SS uniform with a Stielhandgranate shaped buttplug up their rear end - but enough about myself)

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Welcome :D

That was fun!
I'm aiming to stream more throughout the weekend.

Edit: working on uploading it to youtube.

Nice! Even though I didn't participate in chat I really enjoyed your stream, looking forward to the next one!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm aiming to do another one at 5pm PDT if I can get some sleep.

Whenever youtube gets around to processing these, these links should work. (1 hour for the first one, 4+hours for the next two).

Episode 1 Part 1 Air Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhTe4skXdk

Episode 1 Part 2 Submarine Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXX7eLRO7xw

Episode 1 Part 3 Syria Sandbox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvmrfAJS5E

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The game does look interesting. Shame about the price.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I also have figured out a way to live stream the game to google earth.

Google earth is available here http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

I'm going to TRY to stream it, I have no clue if my computer, my connection or my webserver can handle it!

Streaming live in 1 hour. http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
NOT LIVE KML data from previous images:
http://geostream.baloogancampaign.com/BalooganCampaign_Episode2_Part1_Update.kml

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Quick thanks to baloogan. Great stream tonight. Gonna watch a few more before I commit to it but it seems good. The google earth simulator is pretty awesome and you should all check it out.

E: stupid iPhone

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 29, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thanks for watching!

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Has anyone been able to get Crown of Glory to work with DxWnd? I noticed that it is hosted on sourceforge these days, so I downloaded it to try and get some matrix games to run as a window. Korsun Pocket worked just fine, so it looks like a clown only crapped on a section of your monitor. No luck so far with CoG:EE. I am guessing Battles in Normandy and Battles in Italy will work since Korsun Pocket did.

E: after looking at Korsun running normally, it doesn't look like DxWnd does such a good job with it after all, though it does run it.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 29, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That Syria scenario was classic - let's just see what would happen if Israel fired a dozen 1mT nukes at Damascus.

Had to pick this up - I'm now fiddling with creating a Konfrontasi scenario where Australia and Indonesia have a dust up off Christmas Island over people smugglers.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Another great stream, Baloogan! I'm definitely going to pick this up even for :$matrix$: when my next paycheck rolls around.

Does the game model really small vessels like speedboats? I just read a really interesting report on the naval part of the Sri Lankan Civil War and I think that'd be awesome to replicate, but I don't know if it'd work because the insurgents mostly used really tiny speedboats. (Also, maybe it would be a lot less awesome than I think it'd be.)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

V for Vegas posted:

Had to pick this up - I'm now fiddling with creating a Konfrontasi scenario where Australia and Indonesia have a dust up off Christmas Island over people smugglers.

OBJECTIVE: STOP THE BOATS

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
I've just discovered the ability to plot courses for torpedoes and control their sonars so that they don't turn on until the absolute last minute. As a consequence, I've been having tons of fun setting up battles between a lone Seawolf and three/five/ten/one hundred Russian subs and steering my ADCAPs right up into their stern without them ever knowing I was there. Surprise, motherfucker :getin:.

Actually, that scenario is fun from the other side, too -- find the ghostly American submarine before it sinks all of yours. It's too bad the AI isn't a little smarter about torpedo management, though; Seawolf class subs are absurdly amazing and it's absolutely possible to get a solid enough fix on undersea contacts to drive torpedoes straight into them at ~15-20nm with nothing but passive sonar. If the AI would do that (and steer them to come in at a different angle) instead of having them go active early enough to give you a fighting chance, it'd be a LOT harder to track the source down.

I usually give myself a destroyer with an ASW helo if I'm going to be playing OPFOR, though, because otherwise your submarines will never ever actually get to the place the torpedo appeared to come from without the American sub having gleefully zipped away at speeds in excess of your flank speed without ever having been detected.

Command is a lot of fun.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I really really don't have €77 at the moment :(

e: wait no I'm not that sad for not being able to buy the game atm since there's some performance issues and devs have the gall to point out that the problem may be ~spyware~, on a forum of hardcore pc users in tyool 2013

VVV your images are breaking my tables

Koesj fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 29, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

V for Vegas posted:

That Syria scenario was classic - let's just see what would happen if Israel fired a dozen 1mT nukes at Damascus.

This game really shines when you just think up a situation... This thread just made me stand back and go WOW.

:unsmigghh:

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Another great stream, Baloogan! I'm definitely going to pick this up even for :$matrix$: when my next paycheck rolls around.

Does the game model really small vessels like speedboats? I just read a really interesting report on the naval part of the Sri Lankan Civil War and I think that'd be awesome to replicate, but I don't know if it'd work because the insurgents mostly used really tiny speedboats. (Also, maybe it would be a lot less awesome than I think it'd be.)
Thanks!

Example of bringing in already-preset installations:

This might be a good example for a heavily armed speedboat. There are quite a few small vessels. Note the RPGs! You can do things like adding a MANPADS system without making database modifications.

Mr. Showtime posted:

Command is a lot of fun.

:D

I've started a small website to keep track of my streaming and also document neat things that I find out about the game (eg icebreakers can go though sea ice at the poles, neat edge case!)

http://baloogancampaign.com/
YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/baloogan (I'm not going to post any more streaming videos in here, I don't want to clutter up this thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
So World in Flames will be initially shipping without AI and without pbem support?