Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're handy and have a workspace, router, sander, and saws, I'd say build it yourself. If not, I suggest the Ikea Vika system for something relatively low price that you can kit out to your liking.

Alternatively, the Gerton/Vika Byske is made to be wall-mounted, and includes the bracket. Bonus: actual wood (not necessarily a guarantee of all Vika products).

The non-wood Vika tabletops should be avoided like the plague. They aren't very durable at all. I built a huge corner desk out of the wood Vika tabletops and they work wonderfully. I gave them a nice, dark stain too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

RBX posted:

My daughter recently broke the front of the drawer off and where the keyboard slides out obviously. Desk is old as poo poo though so just an excuse to replace it. Had it since about 2005.

Psst, you have your left and right channels backwards. :ssh:

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're handy and have a workspace, router, sander, and saws, I'd say build it yourself. If not, I suggest the Ikea Vika system for something relatively low price that you can kit out to your liking.

Alternatively, the Gerton/Vika Byske is made to be wall-mounted, and includes the bracket. Bonus: actual wood (not necessarily a guarantee of all Vika products).

If you're looking for just a free-standing table/desk I'd suggest buying this Gerton table top http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/ and picking out some legs/trestles that you like.

epiphanylol
Sep 18, 2013

Nothing Special...

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
also nothing special but 100% more ADTRW

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
With 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2412M:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Edit: oops, this belongs in the Monitor thread.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 27, 2013

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

re: headphone holder chat. I asked what that guy's was just because it looked cool. I actually use a Rubbermaid Fasttrack hose hook, which was $10 at Home Depot. Just stand it up so the rubberized part is on the desk. Then, glue some foam rubber onto the top metal part which would hook into the wall track.

Costs about $15 total, works great, and isn't obviously homemade at a glance.

Banana stands suck because they will compress the poo poo out of the point they're pressing on.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

titaniumone posted:

re: headphone holder chat. I asked what that guy's was just because it looked cool. I actually use a Rubbermaid Fasttrack hose hook, which was $10 at Home Depot. Just stand it up so the rubberized part is on the desk. Then, glue some foam rubber onto the top metal part which would hook into the wall track.

Costs about $15 total, works great, and isn't obviously homemade at a glance.

Banana stands suck because they will compress the poo poo out of the point they're pressing on.

It looks like a Brainwavz Peridot Stand (and the screened logo visible in that guy's post seems to verify that).

This type of stand seems to be referred to as an "omega stand", and a few others show up when you search for that on Amazon and elsewhere. The one I linked seems to be the least expensive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My computer space comes with its own headphone holder. I believe its commonly referred to as a 'desk'. I cannot for the life of me imagine why people do anything else.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
New addition, borrowing a 360 to play GTAV.

It may look like i'm living like poo poo, but every cable is neatly coiled and velcro'd.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

My computer space comes with its own headphone holder. I believe its commonly referred to as a 'desk'. I cannot for the life of me imagine why people do anything else.

Because sometimes you have a drink or something on your desk and OH poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Because sometimes you have a drink or something on your desk and OH poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Just keep the two on opposite sides of the desk, and make sure the beverage is in a position where you have to specifically reach for it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean, you can't think of any reason at all? Not even a little one? Like... oh keeping the headphones on a stand can keep the cord out of the way and keep the headphones from getting yanked off the desk? They take up less desk space when they're stored vertically? It looks better aesthetically? None of those came to mind?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
My cats don't care if my headphones are on a stand or not, so I have to settle on a drawer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Coredump posted:

I mean, you can't think of any reason at all? Not even a little one? Like... oh keeping the headphones on a stand can keep the cord out of the way and keep the headphones from getting yanked off the desk? They take up less desk space when they're stored vertically? It looks better aesthetically? None of those came to mind?

Well I suppose.

This thread finally made me tidy my desk a bit so I can contribute a shot. Also I am, it would appear,
a thoroughly shithouse photographer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have no qualms with your desktop, I just was reminded by your monitors/speakers:

I hate the loving trend of blue LED's loving everywhere in electronics. What was wrong with red, amber, green, or white? Those blue LED's are never below eye-searing brightness. Why did that become a thing?

It really hurts my eyes, every time I see them. I always end up nail polishing over them.

:qqsay: Is anyone else is annoyed by it ?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Ooh! Me! Me! I have two Samsung monitors at work, and an identical one at home, and each has a piece of Post-It over the eye-searing blue power light. Same with my U-Verse DVR. Worst invention ever.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I had an Asus RT-16 router in my room one night. When I turned off the lights and was assaulted by the laser light show, yes you can say I became annoyed. Same thing with my desktop. Its a nice looking Silverstone Temjin TJ-08E, pretty classy looking right? Go thru all the trouble of making it near silent. Then I have to put drat electrical tape on the front because of the obnoxiously bright blue LED. I should have left the power switch led unhooked.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

I've gotten into the habit of cutting the leads on the LEDs or covering them with black nail polish or a bit of paint. I hate how obnoxiously bright they are.

taint toucher fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 27, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Panthrax posted:

Ooh! Me! Me! I have two Samsung monitors at work, and an identical one at home, and each has a piece of Post-It over the eye-searing blue power light. Same with my U-Verse DVR. Worst invention ever.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=duc0c-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=light%20dims

If there's a Fry's near you, they're selling them at $2 a sheet. Somehow I only have one JJ Abrams LED on my desktop, and it's not that bright.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I have no qualms with your desktop, I just was reminded by your monitors/speakers:

I hate the loving trend of blue LED's loving everywhere in electronics. What was wrong with red, amber, green, or white? Those blue LED's are never below eye-searing brightness. Why did that become a thing?

It really hurts my eyes, every time I see them. I always end up nail polishing over them.

:qqsay: Is anyone else is annoyed by it ?

The brightness is a problem, but at least everybody has standardized on a colour, so all our leds match at least.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Guys why do you hang up your clothes? Don't you know your house comes with an automatic clothes holder, the floor. Duh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

Guys why do you hang up your clothes? Don't you know your house comes with an automatic clothes holder, the floor. Duh.

Yeah but the clothing faeries come during the night and take them away and wash them and iron them and hang them back up again.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wario In Real Life posted:

Did you just compare clothes to headphones?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sometimes I go outside wearing only my headphones.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I often walk around on my desk, too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

[quote="The Lord Bude" post="419915673"

[/quote]

The Lord Bude posted:

Well I suppose.

This thread finally made me tidy my desk a bit so I can contribute a shot. Also I am, it would appear,

Hey what speakers are you rocking there by the way?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Coredump posted:

Hey what speakers are you rocking there by the way?

Quad 11L actives

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Lord Bude posted:

Well I suppose.

I'd you turn down your brightness on your monitor for a picture it will keep the photo more balanced.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This thread has collectively taught me that I need a footstool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not much beats being able to seamlessly transition to kicking up your feet to watch something long in relative comfort.

I really missed my footstool in Afghanistan on my shift, which mostly consisted of watching movies on the PC. Office chairs generally kinda blow for chillaxing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This weeks office, you should see the rats nest of cable under the table it's pretty amazing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I made some changes, from this:
To this

It's temporary, I'm mostly testing setups to do something no men ever did before (seemingly): using a tv as my main monitor. The small support table for the mouse and keyboard have a really good design but the materials and finishing are just lovely. I really needed something better since I use this everyday. Here in Brazil these kind of things are non existent, but overall it seems that there is not furniture that supports this kind thing. For example, I wanted the other table that support my secondary monitor and notebook to have wheels, and maybe have some kind of surface under it near the ground so I could put my PC tower there. Or something.
There are no examples at all for what I want to do so I'm kind of lost.
Also I seriously need a way to support a speaker hovering in the middle of the room a little bit above my height since the wall on this side of this room is too far and a 5.1 set up need to have all speakers more or less equidistant from the user right?

edit: vvvv oops, fixed

program666 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 1, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

program666 posted:

to do something no man ever did before (seemingly): using a tv as my main monitor.

Hey! Maannn....

Edit: oh wait. This isn't the monitor thread...

Coredump fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 2, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since I have a HTPC in my living room doing the same thing basically, my suggestion is get get a good bluetooth receiver, and then a good bluetooth keyboard and a trackpad/mouse. I use both Apple keyboard and trackpad for my Windows HTPC setup, and it's great. I can sit about 10 feet away, and don't really need one of those lap table things since the trackpad doesn't require a mousepad/flat surface to use it.

HTPC in the bottom left.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
My main problem is what furniture to use to be comfortable with the PC parts I already have because staying far away is not really a problem, to use a TV as a monitor you have to be close unless you're gaming or watching a tv show. Also I absolutely need my second monitor and notebook near me.
Yours is still a good example and I have more tables to make it like it, but I dismissed the idea pretty soon since a stationary table is too bothersome to use in general; my wheeled support table for KB&M is much better even if it's a pretty crappy one.

The better idea I had so far would be something like a moving furniture where I could put the PC tower, monitor and notebook comfortably so the whole set could be repositioned along with my chair and KB&M support table. This way the few wires that wouldn't be moving along with me would be the HDMI, network, energy for the PC and the speaker ones, and all of those could be put mostly out of the way. Right now, the ones for the KB&M, and the monitor DVI cable kind of get in the way. Wireless KB&M could be used, but I still need the wired ones for gaming, that I do most of the time, and the monitor cable would still be a problem (and I never found DVI wireless conectors or something).
Maybe a moving cabinet to put my tower inside and monitor and notebook on top would be great but the "cabinet" part would have to have great airflow somehow.

Of course nice alternatives that I can't think about would be great too but there are not a lot of examples anywhere near the kind of set up I want.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Question about the GALANT. Is the optional computer holder large/strong enough to support a big tower like a 650D? Is there another one on the market that can. Bonus points if it's not hideous.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Question about the GALANT. Is the optional computer holder large/strong enough to support a big tower like a 650D? Is there another one on the market that can. Bonus points if it's not hideous.

No, if you are talking about the Summera, it's not burly enough to hold a 25lb+ tower unless they've reworked the design recently. I'd use one of these instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Elderbean posted:

I've had an NZXT H2 on the Summera without any issues (no creaking or warping) for about a year now, but that case is 5 pounds lighter than the 650D.