Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
We're a general thread, not a spoilers thread so should probably put spoiler tags on latest issues (like TFWiki does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah I mean I understand the notion of not caring whether something is spoiled or not, but speaking for myself, the surprise of a story and being allowed to piece bits together on my own without knowing what's at the end of the line is part of the fun of fiction.

Like, you only get to experience something for the first time once. When you lessen the impact of that first time by whatever means--being spoiled, being in a lovely mood, someone is playing the drums next door--that luster of first-timeness never comes back. Novelty-chasing is a real thing. It's not necessarily a GOOD thing, but screwing up that first time moment for a person is a kind of lame experience, whether it's intended or not.

In TF news I ended up getting Hexatron and ohhhh my godddd he is soooo goooood

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 28, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I really enjoy reading the trades instead of single issues, and a week definitely isn't gonna cut it.

e: are we really debating whether or not people should be annoyed by spoilers? I know everyone is so totally above it all, but spoilers are loving annoying and not knowing what's going to happen next is part of the excitement of the story.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The BSS spoiler rules apply to general discussion threads for comics. It's kind of hard to characterize this thread as that because it encompasses toys (primarily), TV shows (secondarily), and comics (tertiarily).

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I enjoy reading a series after it is completed, so keep that in mind thanks!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

therealjon_ posted:

I only play with toys, no spoilers can hurt me. I got a few from HTS, Blaster and Grimlock are in stock. :neckbeard:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

therealjon_ posted:

uh that's kind of ridiculous to ask for

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I went back and read all of MTMTE from the beginning before reading #21. Was worth the wait and the revisit. If that's "season one" then man I can't wait for season two. James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve.

I think second only to Hawkeye, MTMTE is the best thing I've read this year, and that's not something I ever saw myself saying about Robot Adventure Comics so thanks new thread for making me take a chance on it.

Now I just want them to release an IDW Rodimus and I'll be happy. :allears:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I went back and read all of MTMTE from the beginning before reading #21. Was worth the wait and the revisit. If that's "season one" then man I can't wait for season two. James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve.

I think second only to Hawkeye, MTMTE is the best thing I've read this year, and that's not something I ever saw myself saying about Robot Adventure Comics so thanks new thread for making me take a chance on it.

Now I just want them to release an IDW Rodimus and I'll be happy. :allears:

Basically, yeah.

If you guys like MTMTE, you'll all love Marvels Hawkeye series.

Season two of MTMTE is scheduled to start after Dark Cybertron yeah? Pretty much filler til March then.

I hope the MTMTE Dark Cybertron parts are atleast able to be read without going into the rest of the miniseries. I have faith in Mr Roberts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really regret mentioning that people sometimes overreact to spoilers.

Anyway, back to the comic:

Usually, bringing back characters who were supposed to be dead is lame. Often times in comics books, they'll go "oh, you just killed a clone. I went back in time and made it so he never died. I used magic to bring this guy back to life."

Instead, Roberts saves Ultra Magnus and Tailgate in ways that are really super clever and unexpected. Magnus is a literal Russian nesting doll of a Transformer and that wasn't his head that got smooshed, but rather a fake head hidden behind another fake head. And rather than succumbing to his disease, Cyclonus managed to save Tailgate's life by stabbing him in the loving chest with his glowing spark sword and transferred part of his own spark into him.

I thought these guys were dead. In fact, I expected half of the cast to die in this one. Often times I can predict where a story is going, but Roberts managed to seriously surprise me!

James Roberts has the magical ability to foreshadow things without you realizing that he's even foreshadowing them or tipping you off to what's going to happen, but in retrospect it always makes perfect sense. EVERYBODY GET DOWN, the man has Chekhov's gun and he knows how to use it! MTMTE is very Back to the Future-y in that there's a lot that you never notice until you read it a second time.

This guy really IS too drat good for fuckin' Transformer toy robot comics.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought these guys were dead. In fact, I expected half of the cast to die in this one. Often times I can predict where a story is going, but Roberts managed to seriously surprise me!
Really, I was 100% certain Magnus wasn't dead at any point in this. I'm surprised at the Tailgate resolution, though, but he's been nailing Tailgate so well as he goes.

I am also willing to straight up bet: Overlord and Rewind are not dead, Pipes is dead though. I think Roberts is really keen on the whole "Cybertronians are hard to kill" angle and honestly that's the best. I've said it before, but censorship mandated or whatever, that really worked in the original G1 cartoon. The transformers felt tough and not vulnerable like Furman's parade of bodies in the comics.

Also I think Dark Cybertron will be worth it. I mean seriously, look at the covers. And remember, Roberts is co-writing all the RID stuff too, so there's going to be hints and clues to upcoming poo poo in MTMTE in RID. Frankly I think IDW is going to show how to do a real crossover with some real meaty impact here.

edit: Dark Cybertron has a #1 issue but I believe otherwise runs in parts from RID to MTMTE and vice versa for its runtime

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

At least the way I saw it, Overlord was clearly not really dead, but merely deactivated and floating in space?

I'm not very familiar with comic book "events", how does this Dark Cybertron episode work? Will it have separate RiD and MTMTE issues or will it be its on separate thing?

On toy-related news, I can fully recommend generations Orion Pax: the lil' dude is super poseable and the transformation is really interesting. He has great accessories and detailing and doesn't feel like "eh, yet another Optimus Prime". It's a really underrated figure I tells ya.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really regret mentioning that people sometimes overreact to spoilers.

Someone has to say it once in a while. I don't seek out spoilers and don't intentionally spoil stuff for other people, but I still believe that the emphasis on plot over everything else is weird and incorrect. Nobody's gone to see Hamlet without knowing the ending since the 1800s, but it's still a pretty great night at the theater regardless.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not going to flip out and go all nerd rage if someone slips up and posts a spoiler, but I think I'd still be sad/disappointed.

I'd get individual issues but it's not very practical for me storage-wise. There are very, very few comics I get individual issues of, and even some of those I'm considering re-buying as trades and then selling off my individual issues.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

For example, comics don't come out in the UK till Thursday, so that extra 24 hours can be a terrible wait.

My good doctor, I believe you may be going to some slow rear end comic shops - we get them on Wednesdays too!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The guys who made Sonicron (barf) finally put up full photos and opened preorders for their gigantic Not Overlord figure, which apparently prompted the release of concept art of a possible MMC Overlord figure by the same designer who did Feral Rex, Nova Prime and Hexatron. Talk about killing a figure in the cradle.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm glad MMC is tackling Overlord because that other one they put up on BBTS looks hideous and costs quite a bit.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Smart Robin or the other Brainwave? I'm torn

therealjon_ posted:

I'm glad MMC is tackling Overlord because that other one they put up on BBTS looks hideous and costs quite a bit.

It is quite big. BTS should have made a few Deluxes to rebuild their reputation before attempting such an expensive figure.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Toyworld's Brainstorm looks like he's made out of dough.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

catch22 posted:

Smart Robin or the other Brainwavestorm? I'm torn

Apparently there's 3 Brainstorms!

Toyworld:

Fansproject:

MMC:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love that Toyworld one, love the Fansproject one for how Geewunny it is(it just LOOKS like it's 30 years old!), and absolutely loathe that MMC one. Man that is a crap-looking figure, itty-bitty face, big fat helmet, and apparently the hands are totally visible in vehicle mode, good job guys!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
MTMTE has spoiled me, I'm not crazy about any of those.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I really like the Fansproject one. Toy world doesn't look bad but I wasn't a huge fan of Hardbone so I think that taints my judgement.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If only the Fansproject one had a faceplate. After MTMTE he looks weird without one.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Phy posted:

If only the Fansproject one had a faceplate. After MTMTE he looks weird without one.

Can't find the source now but I read that is supposed to come with one

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

catch22 posted:

Toyworld:

Fansproject:

MMC:

Could someone do Mindwipe or Skullcruncher and stop farting around with the boring headmasters?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Could someone do Mindwipe or Skullcruncher and stop farting around with the boring headmasters?

But then we wouldn't be directly competing with the other third parties. :downs:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is this how it's gonna be now? I guess I'm not much of a business person but what good is it for several third parties tackling the same characters at once? Not that I'm complaining since the public benefits from this, but what do the manufacturers gain in this?

Now, an IDW comics-related question: this is broad enough that it shouldn't be spoilers, but if it somehow is just please tell me and I'll spoiler 'em up... Just how powerful are Phase sixers supposed to be in relation to, for example, combiners? I mean we know that IDW Devastator is supposed to be crazy powerful and apparently combiners are a desirable thing, but P6ers are described (and shown as) stupidly overpowered death machines. How do they compare to, say, Megatron? I know that they're hard-wired to fear fighting him, but that's a safety measure, is he still on equal "power" terms with them? We know that they can be taken down, but for example in Black Shadow's case it wasn't clear if it was done through careful strategy or just force.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

catch22 posted:

Toyworld:

Fansproject:

God drat those heads are terrible. Toyworld's might just be a victim of a bad angle, but Fansprojects' looks way too organic with those weird mouth lines.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I got MMC Bovis in the mail yesterday. Their Predaking is off to a great start!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Blackheart posted:

Is this how it's gonna be now? I guess I'm not much of a business person but what good is it for several third parties tackling the same characters at once? Not that I'm complaining since the public benefits from this, but what do the manufacturers gain in this?

The problem is, as I understand it, toy production can't really happen overnight, and there's a 1-3 year production cycle on a LOT of this stuff. Once they have sculpted protos, that's actually a shitload of invested money that they then have to move forward on. So the key is to develop a signature style and look that will sell the figure outside of just straight up nostalgia appeal. And honestly that's working for Fansproject, they've managed to put out a line of Headmasters that trade almost entirely on engineering complexity. And Toyworld's chunky aesthetic really does work for a lot of people. MMC's big draw is that they tend to go for big, elaborate, detail-heavy designs, and often rather unique interpretations.

So when you strip a lot of that quality away you're left with, well, that Brainstorm. Eugh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They should give him a briefcase accessory.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm still waiting for a Legends Bumblebee sized walking stick.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

A) Brainstorm is not boring.
B) Fansproject showed Mindwipe at BotCon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

They should give him a briefcase accessory.

You know damned well they will sell it separately and it will be $10.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I just found Wave 5 and 6 for Generations, I wasn't expecting these guys so soon since it took forever to get Ruination around here. This means I'm now call caught up with Generations and have everything from Classics to Generations 2.0.

Unless some jerk decides to change what counts officially from Classics to generations...again.....for the fourth time, or is it the 6th time already?

Still is there any reason why the deluxe guys are still smaller than their previous incarnations? Both legends and voyagers are much larger than the previous classics ones. It's really sort of strange that the deluxes would still be smaller.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Keldroc posted:

A) Brainstorm is not boring.
B) Fansproject showed Mindwipe at BotCon.

I loving scream every time I look at that drat thing. I mean look at it. LOOK AT IT.

The Bat Head Turns Upside Down To Form The Chest

He has a raised Dracula Collar

HE HAS A COCKPIT ON HIS BACK THAT IS A TINY COFFIN.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rei_ posted:

I loving scream every time I look at that drat thing. I mean look at it. LOOK AT IT.

The Bat Head Turns Upside Down To Form The Chest

He has a raised Dracula Collar

HE HAS A COCKPIT ON HIS BACK THAT IS A TINY COFFIN.

I'm going to wait for Hasbro to release their own version that won't cost 500 dollars. I mean Whirl can't be the last Voyager there has to be more coming soon, there has to be. :ohdear:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

That Mindwipe is the headmaster I'm most eagerly awaiting. I can't say I'm too terribly interested in Brainstorm, but Weirdwolf is awesome and Mindwipe is the awesomest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm going to wait for Hasbro to release their own version that won't cost 500 dollars.

Good luck with that. I suspect we will never see a Headmaster from Hasbro again. Function X figures cost a lot less than $500, should you get tired of waiting.