Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Currently sitting on 12mil profit over 30mil invested with Pisswasser, I'm nervous. I hope 40% isn't it's peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Hill climbing on a chopper, specialized off road vehicles are for chumps looking for the easy way out.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The final street race is kinda bullshit. I keep losing because there are hills that you have to jump to keep pace but you can't see over them so I always jump into crossing traffic and die because I have to be on a motorcycle. And then I don't get to retry until the next night because if you get wasted you have to go to the hospital. ugh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I seriously can't wait for the PC version, hoping it churns out better images than the Instragrammed poo poo.

Also, this elevator needs to work outside its mission. :(

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm still pissed we can't buy the kickass James Bond car after we drive it in the Devin mission.

it's been said before, but I'm disappointed neither that or the armored fat suit are unlockables.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Two things I've noticed from tonight's session:

1) Stunt jumps are much harder to land than in other GTAs

2) Knife flights can gently caress off and die. I'm never going to get 8 of them. Ever.

Goodbye 100% :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I haven't used any cheats yet because I'd like to keep my options open for achievements, but I also want to gently caress around. What exactly is the interaction there, if I die does the "used cheats" flag go away or something?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sankis posted:

I'm checking on the social site since i'm away from my xbox right now, but whenever I check it in game it seems to load fine. Maybe make sure multiplayer ports for your console of choice are unblocked?

It was working yesterday. The social site works for me too, maybe the ps3 BAWSAQ is down?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

thehustler posted:

Two things I've noticed from tonight's session:

1) Stunt jumps are much harder to land than in other GTAs

2) Knife flights can gently caress off and die. I'm never going to get 8 of them. Ever.

Goodbye 100% :(

Yeah I've failed a lot of stunt jumps that I thought had landed / would've passed in other GTAs.

Where are the knife flights anyway? Flying under bridges is pretty self explanatory but I still don't know what specific places to knife flight.

Ideally I would've 100%'d it before GTA Online, but I'm still not done with the story so I don't see that happening.

EDIT: Thanks dude. vv

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Obvious ones between some tall buildings, some not so obvious ones between some shorter buildings that I would never try if I didn't know they were ones to trigger.

http://segmentnext.com/2013/09/27/gta-5-aerial-challenges-guide-under-the-bridge-knife-flights-and-stunt-jumps/

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, this elevator needs to work outside its mission. :(

No poo poo, I was hoping to get my BMX up there.

Chard posted:

I haven't used any cheats yet because I'd like to keep my options open for achievements, but I also want to gently caress around. What exactly is the interaction there, if I die does the "used cheats" flag go away or something?

There's a counter in general stats for how many times you've used a cheat, so... who knows honestly. The little prompt says they're disabled for that session, might have to make a save right before you're about to unlock an achievement, die, and attempt the unlock.

Meaingless numbers are important to me, you see. :spergin:

UnknownMercenary posted:

it's been said before, but I'm disappointed neither that or the armored fat suit are unlockables.

Yeah. The whole "Hey, here's a cool toy! You only get it once! Because gently caress you!" poo poo is pretty lame.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm still pissed we can't buy the kickass James Bond car after we drive it in the Devin mission.
Hey, there are some great microtransaction DLC opportunities! :haw:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Dr Geek posted:

On a related note, where do you guys think the ceiling is on these BAWSAQ stocks? I only bought Hawk and Little as a way to store my cash, not actually expecting a return, but now I'm wondering how long to hold onto them.

No one really knows. Are the BAWSAQ charts even accurate? If you're playing/checking everyday you shouldn't get screwed, especially with a stock on an upward trend like this one.

I check BAWSAQ more than my own investments, thanks R*. It's going to be even worse with GTAO which you probably won't be able to savescum.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah. The whole "Hey, here's a cool toy! You only get it once! Because gently caress you!" poo poo is pretty lame.

To be fair, there's a few toys you can use that never show up in any of the missions.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Away all Goats posted:

To be fair, there's a few toys you can use that never show up in any of the missions.

Such as? I'm not being snarky, honestly curious.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Capn Beeb posted:

There's molotovs scattered around in a few places for one, you can't even get them at Ammunation.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Dewgy posted:

There's molotovs scattered around in a few places for one, you can't even get them at Ammunation.

Don't forget the tank, jet, and attack helicopters you never use normally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

You can buy one online for ~450k. BUT none of the weapons work so what is the point :(

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Capn Beeb posted:

They were already mentioned but I was thinking specifically of the Molotovs and the Jet Fighter (though that got showcased in the commercials).

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Heist question Is Michael's cut of the FIB building heist really supposed to be $0?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dr Geek posted:

Heist question Is Michael's cut of the FIB building heist really supposed to be $0?

Yes. you only get a decent payout for two of the heists, the first and last.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Just finished the main story, guessing around 75% of total game content. Just in time for the online part to start.

Still need to make a last big score on my cash with the final Lester mission, hoping to get around 50 mil. on each character.

Still have Michaels cult, some rampages, triathlon, some race and jumps, and all the collectibles left..

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

TehGherkin posted:

Yeah I've failed a lot of stunt jumps that I thought had landed / would've passed in other GTAs.

Where are the knife flights anyway? Flying under bridges is pretty self explanatory but I still don't know what specific places to knife flight.

Ideally I would've 100%'d it before GTA Online, but I'm still not done with the story so I don't see that happening.

EDIT: Thanks dude. vv

The knife flights aren't so bad, there's a couple of locations where you can get 2 or even 3 in a row, and it really cuts down the effort needed.

As far as stunt jumps, yeah, they're a lot more tedious, in the terms of having to go at a certain speed, land in a precise spot with all four wheels down, and sometimes with certain vehiles. (They won't prevent you with other vehicles, but some are much easier to finish it with.) Also fun fact if you're using Franklin. Something with his ability seems to actually speed up his car, I failed a specific jump about a dozen times using his ability, so I stopped using it and landed it the first time (from the same distance with the same car.)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I guess this where Rockstar got the idea for the 'Scooter Brothers' transition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKj_CmtHRI

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Just got 100% and holy poo poo did I die on stunt jumps a lot.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBf0Anqbd3w

Edit: Please tell me that there's an option somewhere to turn off voice chat on the 360. I started up RDR multiplayer exactly once and was immediately barraged by a million different expletives in various combinations.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 28, 2013

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes. you only get a decent payout for two of the heists, the first and last.

Sounds like you did it the wrong way.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBf0Anqbd3w

Edit: Please tell me that there's an option somewhere to turn off voice chat on the 360. I started up RDR multiplayer exactly once and was immediately barraged by a million different expletives in various combinations.
In GTA 4, the rare times when me and my buddy played with randoms, we were able to use the in game phone to call EACHOTHER, effectively setting up a private voice chat. I would imagine there will be a similar feature.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

AndyElusive posted:

To any goons complaining about helicopter wobbles, shut the hell up and go level up your characters piloting skill at flying school.

Flying that poo poo is a piece of cake and is a lot of fun.

I've got it maxed on every character and after choking my controller like it killed my family, I got gold in flight school on every exercise. I still get those mother loving wobbles you rear end in a top hat!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've found a few but not been able to land a single stunt jump yet, what the hell am I doing wrong?

How/when do I start knife fights? Been playing for 30 hours and not found a single one....

Also, obscure 80s British pop reference below, there are so many little things hidden in this game and I'm driving/flying past most of it.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Coleman posted:

In GTA 4, the rare times when me and my buddy played with randoms, we were able to use the in game phone to call EACHOTHER, effectively setting up a private voice chat. I would imagine there will be a similar feature.

I'm just wondering how to turn off everyone else globally, because that poo poo is going to seriously hamper my enjoyment.

MZ posted:

How/when do I start knife fights? Been playing for 30 hours and not found a single one....

Flights.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I'm just wondering how to turn off everyone else globally, because that poo poo is going to seriously hamper my enjoyment.

If there isn't an option for it, I'm pretty sure that starting up a party with just yourself in it will block outside voice chat.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ohhh.....

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

This is one of the few things that's bugging me. For a game that really seems to have brought the fun back into GTA and then to not let you access these items at any time is just bizarre. Would make more sense in an online setting but for loving around in free roam single player I want all the toys.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I've made more money investing in Pisswasser than anything short of the last heist. Buying that golf course might not be so unreasonable after all.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

SplitSoul posted:

You could turn it off in Max Payne 3, so I would imagine that they would have that option in GTA:O. Even if they don't, that's what XBox Live parties are for.

E: Beaten

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I've made more money investing in Pisswasser than anything short of the last heist. Buying that golf course might not be so unreasonable after all.
The best part of BAWSAQ is investing in the stuff that drops SUPER low, because everyone else is going to invest in it too. Then you sell super high.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
Oh yeah, stole my 1st jet from the military base. Took a few tries to figure out how to beat them to get out.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

SplitSoul posted:

I'm praying there is allchat in games. My buddy and I plan to do a bunch of races and shake'n'bake loudly and drunkenly, Ricky Bobby style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The final street race is kinda bullshit. I keep losing because there are hills that you have to jump to keep pace but you can't see over them so I always jump into crossing traffic and die because I have to be on a motorcycle. And then I don't get to retry until the next night because if you get wasted you have to go to the hospital. ugh.

Could you try angling the camera differently or using a wider zoom? When I'm bombing up or down hills I tilt the camera up a bit so the car doesn't block my LOS. I'd imagine zooming your view all the way out would make it even better. If you still look like you're about to hit something then pop Franklin's ability and use the extra maneuvering and damage resistance.

• Locked thread