Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is it about Malcolm Holmes that just skeeves the poo poo out of me? Every time I see him bounding after me like some kind of heat seeking missile, I can't help but want to run the other way. I spent like 2 or 3 minutes last night running around Goodsprings, leaping over fences and rocks while that idiot struggled to catch up to me.

I hate that guy.

Likewise, I always always kill him. No matter what the playthrough. In my most recent game I installed a mod called (I think) Nevada Skies. It makes it much much darker at night. I was holed up in an abandoned caravan near Primm trying to rest until sun up when the rest menu cancelled. I had no idea why, it was pitch black. My character spins around and there he is. Malcolm. Trying to give me some poo poo about bottle caps. Any courier, regardless of alignment would be justified in blowing his head off in that situation. Only afterwards realising he wasn't a chemmed up lunatic.

My heart of gold mercenary still uses his Roving Trader outfit, from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Hey there, I can't help but notice you're collecting star bottle caps, which I used to do but have given up on doing. Just a heads up, there's a massive prize for collecting a bunch of 'em or so they say. Well, bye." *turns back to you and walks off*

It's like he wants you to swipe them from his corpse.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anybody done a no-theft playthrough? I've thought about trying it, but wanted to gauge how difficult/tedious it would be

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

JawKnee posted:

Anybody done a no-theft playthrough? I've thought about trying it, but wanted to gauge how difficult/tedious it would be

Depends. A strictly no-theft playthrough is really rough. A lot of quests, if not outright requiring stealing, need you to steal/lockpick/sneak/hack your way through stuff for the best/most expedient ending. It's kind of like a no-Speech playthrough (1 CH, no Speech, no Barter :suicide: at least the economy was less broken). No-stealing stuff outside of a handful of important things (quest items and a few uniques) is totally doable and probably why I tend to think the economy is less busted than other people.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

CJacobs posted:

"Hey there, I can't help but notice you're collecting star bottle caps, which I used to do but have given up on doing. Just a heads up, there's a massive prize for collecting a bunch of 'em or so they say. Well, bye." *turns back to you and walks off*

It's like he wants you to swipe them from his corpse.

The Courier. Still the worst monster in the mojave.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Depends. A strictly no-theft playthrough is really rough. A lot of quests, if not outright requiring stealing, need you to steal/lockpick/sneak/hack your way through stuff for the best/most expedient ending. It's kind of like a no-Speech playthrough (1 CH, no Speech, no Barter :suicide: at least the economy was less broken). No-stealing stuff outside of a handful of important things (quest items and a few uniques) is totally doable and probably why I tend to think the economy is less busted than other people.

I usually play 1chr, doesn't make the game hard or tedious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I usually play 1chr, doesn't make the game hard or tedious.

Did you put points into Speech? If not, the game's still not terribly hard, it's just that a lot of story options are locked off. You flat-out can't recruit Cass without 50 Speech or Barter. It's not a difficulty thing, it's being locked out of content, which is the same deal with stealing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Did you put points into Speech? If not, the game's still not terribly hard, it's just that a lot of story options are locked off. You flat-out can't recruit Cass without 50 Speech or Barter. It's not a difficulty thing, it's being locked out of content, which is the same deal with stealing.

Not really. I've played the game and all the DLC, every quest, multiple times. The first n times I took 100 speech mostly to get the 'good' endings everywhere. There aren't that many places where you get straight up locked out of content without high enough speech, the only one I can remember off the top of my head is the unique 9mm SMG. Usually you can just kill people or do some extra quest or something to get to what you want.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

JawKnee posted:

I"ve never straight-up said to myself "no stealing," but I've had dozens if not hundreds of successful hours of gameplay between touching any items or containers with their names marked red, excepting a few specific items (for some reason you have to steal half the repair skill books in the game, that's the most obvious example.) And ended up with 400,000 caps in my inventory by the end anyhow. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Caps, pfft. Caps are for people who are too chicken to enjoy a proper barter economy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My next playthrough is going to be a "no looting corpses" run. Or at least a "very little looting corpses, ideally" one. Stealing the clothes off a person you killed is pretty grisly, after all. I'll make the odd exception for meat from animals, and maybe the occasional weapon/armour repair if I'm low on money. It's still a post nuclear survival game, after all. Still, I predict this'll be the first time I don't end up with more caps than I can spend by the time I hit Vegas.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

JawKnee posted:

I've done three playthroughs and on two of those I never stole a single thing. Ever.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Line Feed posted:

I've done three playthroughs and on two of those I never stole a single thing. Ever.
Same. 90 hours played, 0 stealings. STEALING IS WRONG.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

2house2fly posted:

My next playthrough is going to be a "no looting corpses" run. Or at least a "very little looting corpses, ideally" one. Stealing the clothes off a person you killed is pretty grisly, after all. I'll make the odd exception for meat from animals, and maybe the occasional weapon/armour repair if I'm low on money. It's still a post nuclear survival game, after all. Still, I predict this'll be the first time I don't end up with more caps than I can spend by the time I hit Vegas.

Steal first, kill second?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

It's pretty rare to loot armor in NV isn't it? The only times I can think of consistently where you'd do this is the BoS patrols and the Silver Rush thugs that died robbing the Durable Dunn's caravan outside Vegas. Maybe at the very beginning for some leather/reinforced leather?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm currently doing an explosives playthrough and it absolutely owns. Just picked up Splash Damage and poo poo is really crazy because I have all ranks of Demo Expert but neither Hit the Deck nor Adamantium Skeleton to mitigate self-damage. I might leave most fights with a sliver of health and a couple of broken limbs, but I'm also blowing the gently caress out of everything I come across :supaburn:

Luckily I also have Super Slam and a fully upgraded war club, so it's time to show these White Legs shitheads what's what :toughguy:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

It's pretty rare to loot armor in NV isn't it? The only times I can think of consistently where you'd do this is the BoS patrols and the Silver Rush thugs that died robbing the Durable Dunn's caravan outside Vegas. Maybe at the very beginning for some leather/reinforced leather?

I obsess over having every clothing and armor item in the game. Let me regale you with stories of how difficult Lonesome Road was for me because I kept trying to carry every variation of Marked Men armor and all variants of the Riot Gear along with me :downs:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is it about Malcolm Holmes that just skeeves the poo poo out of me? Every time I see him bounding after me like some kind of heat seeking missile, I can't help but want to run the other way. I spent like 2 or 3 minutes last night running around Goodsprings, leaping over fences and rocks while that idiot struggled to catch up to me.

I hate that guy.

Blow his brains out the second you see him. Literally nobody cares and you get a few star caps and some .308 ammo off of his corpse.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I killed him in Primm and dragged his corpse to the front gate as a warning to GIVE ME YOUR loving STAR CAPS :black101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Usually the first star cap I pick up on each playthrough is in the Jean Skydiving hovel, on the table, so I'm always kinda confused when Malcolm is like SAW YOU PICK THAT UP AND YOU PAID NO MIND TO IT because... like... where was he when I did that? :stare:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bilal posted:

I obsess over having every clothing and armor item in the game. Let me regale you with stories of how difficult Lonesome Road was for me because I kept trying to carry every variation of Marked Men armor and all variants of the Riot Gear along with me :downs:

Every variation? When I played Lonesome Road I took the armor off every Marked Man I killed. They're worth around a thousand caps each dammit. :shepspends:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

grack posted:

Blow his brains out the second you see him. Literally nobody cares and you get a few star caps and some .308 ammo off of his corpse.

Holmes has some kind of weird scripting where everything in the game is neutral to him. I once had him approach me while I was sneaking about near the quarry, running right past the young deathclaw at the entrance.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Usually the first star cap I pick up on each playthrough is in the Jean Skydiving hovel, on the table, so I'm always kinda confused when Malcolm is like SAW YOU PICK THAT UP AND YOU PAID NO MIND TO IT because... like... where was he when I did that? :stare:

Malcolm waited for you to pick up your first star cap. Waited, and watched. Malcolm saw you waking up in Goodsprings. Malcolm saw you join those bandits in raiding the innocent town. Malcolm saw you cap that merchant in the middle of the wasteland just to steal cheap as dirt 10mm bullets. Malcolm saw you idly teabag her corpse. Malcolm saw.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
My weirdest Malcom appearance is when he came to see me when the NCR started attacking the prison the Powder Gangers were in. I got out of the tower the Powder Ganger boss was in when he walkedu pto me from the visitor's center entrance. The area was a warzone, but he casually walked up to me, told me about how the star caps were mysterious, then slowly walked towards the visitor's center while the NCR was gunning down the Powder Gangers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't know if it can happen anymore, but during testing, Malcolm once appeared in the observation deck of REPCONN Test Site. During the launch. Ride of the Valkyries is playing, ghoul rockets are flying, and suddenly my camera spins 180 degrees. "Hello there..."

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I think I saw a Let's Play of New Vegas where a Legion assassination squad appeared inside the BoS bunker after he had wiped all of them out. I guess that's how badass/brainwashed they are. They don't even care if they saw the Courier take out an entire bunker of power-armored laser-armed soldiers, THIS time they're gonna get 'im! :downs:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CJacobs posted:

Once I picked up my first star cap in the Bison Steve, as I was waging a one-man war agains the powder gangers inside. Which meant he was following me through the hotel, calmly watching me kill, and the only thing he thought worth mentioning was the bottle cap. That guy is screwed up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

rope kid posted:

I don't know if it can happen anymore, but during testing, Malcolm once appeared in the observation deck of REPCONN Test Site. During the launch. Ride of the Valkyries is playing, ghoul rockets are flying, and suddenly my camera spins 180 degrees. "Hello there..."

Hahahahaha. I don't know if he goes that far but he sure does like to pop out of nowhere to scare the crap out of me. Whatever project you work on next, have someone who does that. Just an NPC you can't escape who's always appearing over your shoulder, like Watson in that Sherlock Holmes game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I had him catch up to me on the observation deck of Helios One after waiting for sunrise. Scared the piss out of me when after waiting the screen spun around.

Unfortunately, I hadn't enabled Archimedes I so I couldn't space-laser him. :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

2house2fly posted:

Once I picked up my first star cap in the Bison Steve, as I was waging a one-man war agains the powder gangers inside. Which meant he was following me through the hotel, calmly watching me kill, and the only thing he thought worth mentioning was the bottle cap. That guy is screwed up.

It's especially funny, given the context, because he'll say something like, "I had to make sure of your disposition first" after you've just gunned down 8 or 10 people.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

closeted republican posted:

My weirdest Malcom appearance is when he came to see me when the NCR started attacking the prison the Powder Gangers were in. I got out of the tower the Powder Ganger boss was in when he walkedu pto me from the visitor's center entrance. The area was a warzone, but he casually walked up to me, told me about how the star caps were mysterious, then slowly walked towards the visitor's center while the NCR was gunning down the Powder Gangers.

He's like that Man in Black in Red Dead Redemption. Except bullets mos def work on him.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm resuming my Fallout NV game and I'm in the middle of Old World Blues...and I have no idea why I'm doing what I'm doing. I think I didn't pay much attention to the like-30 minutes of dialogue at the beginning of the dlc when I started it months ago, so I'm not sure why I'm collecting these parts for this sonic emitter thing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The brains you talked to at the start need those pieces of technology to defeat their enemy, doctor Mobius. So they tell you, anyway. They really don't have their poo poo together. I wouldn't worry about it, just explore, collect coffee cups, and let the story come when it comes. Or go back and talk to the brains, they've got a lot more dialogue than just the intro. So much dialogue.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm resuming my Fallout NV game and I'm in the middle of Old World Blues...and I have no idea why I'm doing what I'm doing. I think I didn't pay much attention to the like-30 minutes of dialogue at the beginning of the dlc when I started it months ago, so I'm not sure why I'm collecting these parts for this sonic emitter thing.

The dialogue is the best bit of the DLC, so pay attention :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

2house2fly posted:

I just have to mention that the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

Haven't played New Vegas since last year, so I decided to give it a replay and goddamn, this game is art. I am playing with JSawyer's Overhaul on hardcore and I just love how tense the gunplay is now, amongst the other changes.

My only concern is that my companions don't share my survival instinct, so I am afraid they will just get themselves killed the moment we have a serious firefight. Should I be afraid for them or can I still count on Boone killing everyone before I even notice there is a fight?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ZearothK posted:

My only concern is that my companions don't share my survival instinct, so I am afraid they will just get themselves killed the moment we have a serious firefight. Should I be afraid for them or can I still count on Boone killing everyone before I even notice there is a fight?

My first time with the sawyer mod, cass got herself killed within like 5 minutes of me knowing her. A cazadore stung her and I couldn't heal her through it.

Companions are a lot more squishy now, but it isn't a problem without a solution. If you have a high charisma and give your posse the best armor and weapons you can afford, they can start going toe-to-toe and survive.

So in short: like the rest of jsawyer, you have to plan things out and put in a little extra time and thought, but it nothing is really impossible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's best to leave human companions behind any time you know you'll be fighting cazadores, until you're sure you know your poo poo. I guess it's not that big a problem in a patched vanilla game, but I started playing before some of that stuff, so the habit sort of persists.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The dialogue is the best bit of the DLC, so pay attention :colbert:

It is, but not when you get a classic Avellone-style text dump at the start. The Think Tanks are funny for the first few minutes, but by the 10 minute mark, you just want them to shut up so you can explore the DLC area.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

closeted republican posted:

It is, but not when you get a classic Avellone-style text dump at the start. The Think Tanks are funny for the first few minutes, but by the 10 minute mark, you just want them to shut up so you can explore the DLC area.

Yeah, I enjoyed the characters quite a lot but about halfway into the introduction wall of text I just didn't give a poo poo anymore. It's just too much to dump on someone as soon as they're introduced to a whole new world to explore. Just shut up already and let me find out all that stuff along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I'm chilling in Lombard Station, waiting 72 hours to respawn cells after removing a mod, and Victor pulls a Malcolm Holmes and interrupts my waiting. In my home. What the hell?