Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Humboldt squid posted:

I wasn't terribly impressed with the verathins, actually. They have very specific uses for their ultra-hard leads but for coloring a whole picture? Nah.

I had the mega-huge boxset of the regular Prismacolors and although I liked them, I found them way too waxy for my coloring style. I like layering with really subtle amounts of color so these are just right for me. :)

Edit: Oh god, new page.

Got some LED lights to go under some cabinets that are on top of my sink. I won't be doing dishes in a cave anymore, it's fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Moving to a new condo so I need some things beforehand.

And some 50Mbps internet to go with it.

Who needs a bed?
That's the fanciest modem/router combo I've seen in some time. :allears:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

colas posted:

I'm not angry but I have tried tablets, smaller screen, no keyboard...

No no, I wasn't suggesting you were angry. That was directed at Forums Poster "SEND THAT poo poo BACK AND BUY AN iPAD, GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU".

e: content: This whisky.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

colas posted:

Really? I'm so used to having a laptop/keyboard. I don't know if I'd ever use a tablet instead of a laptop.

Don't knock it till you try it.

My work gave me one and now my laptop has turned into a dedicated work machine.

15 inch rMBP and I would rather reach for the ipad 2 apparently.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Some wine for the weekend.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
In keeping with the booze theme, I've put my self in further financial peril by impulse-purchasing the following:

So tasty.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

spunkshui posted:

Don't knock it till you try it.

My work gave me one and now my laptop has turned into a dedicated work machine.

15 inch rMBP and I would rather reach for the ipad 2 apparently.

I have a 7" Galaxy tablet. It just doesn't give me the same functionality I am used to from a laptop. It is limited in what I can do on it. I can browse the web, I can use irc, but not much else. And I really miss having a keyboard. Also, with the VAIO I can play Hearthstone on the touchscreen :woop:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Just ordered these because my first pair got a rip in the toe when I was wandering around the desert and got a very sharp stick caught between 'em. These shoes are so loving comfortable if you have a job that entails walking and running around for 9+ hours a day.

Obscurum
Apr 23, 2007

The world is not beautiful. But that in itself lends it a kind of beauty.

I have an old lovely Optimus V and I loathe that phone. Lets hope I didn't just burn 250$.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Obscurum posted:

I have an old lovely Optimus V and I loathe that phone. Lets hope I didn't just burn 250$.

I used to have the V, and I'm pretty sure at this point anything will feel like a major upgrade to you. Seems like a decent enough phone.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My wife snores and I'm quitting weed for a while, need these bad.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Those look delicious.

BlackWidowCult
Apr 8, 2010
Trying my hand at a third language:

And because I'll finally get a spot at the local community garden next summer:

Can't wait!

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
I bought a pair of lederhosen, from Pakistan:

They really didn't look at all like these once delivered. So I complained and got half back. Yay capitalism!

Best impulse buy, ever!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Preordered a copy of pokemon Y, since it's the red one. Amazon says it won't be delivered until almost a week after the release date, which is a bit of a bummer; I might end up going to a Gamestop on saturday to grab one and cancelling my order.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I picked up Assault Android Cactus, because shiny!

It's really, really fun twin-stick action shooty-shoot game on Steam. The only downside is it's absolutely kicking my rear end all the time forever. Why is this so haaaarrrddd :cry:.

Obscurum
Apr 23, 2007

The world is not beautiful. But that in itself lends it a kind of beauty.

Saw this on sale today and could not pass up upgrading my first gen nook. Can't beat new for 59$!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nm

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Sep 28, 2013

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Obscurum posted:

Saw this on sale today and could not pass up upgrading my first gen nook. Can't beat new for 59$!

That thing is amazing. Mine has lasted a combined year underway on a naval vessel without so much as a scratch.

Content: Picked up a mobile battery pack by mophie for about $60. It's pretty great so far.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I overdrew my checking account paying tuition and I don't get paid until the end of the month uggggggggghhhh...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nocal posted:

I overdrew my checking account paying tuition and I don't get paid until the end of the month uggggggggghhhh...

Would not paying your tuition on time have been a more dire consequence than an overdraft plus rolling negative account fees?

Just FYI you're legally allowed to opt-out of overdraft protection and aside from recurring automatic bank drafts (typically things like loan and utility payments) they aren't allowed to assess fees on your account (but they will decline transactions that would put the account in the red.)

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

$500 in spray paint, exterior paint, rollers, extender poles, and other stuff + $600 on articulating crane rental + an as-of-yet undertermined amount of money on beer, food, and other poo poo = a week of painting and pasting and tagging with Chicago-based street artist, Don't Fret.

A copy of West Michigan Woman magazine, because I'm in it.

A converted garage apartment in the city underneath a donut and ramen shop to use as studio/debauchery space.

Three-unit span of Eames Tandem Airport Seating to go in mentioned converted garage apartment. It's super comfortable, but the built-in arm rests make it impossible to lay on, which means people won't ask to crash on my couch.

New 27" iMac with a bunch of build-to-order options to replace my old 24" 2008 model. Loading it with 16GB of my own RAM.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the 2012 version and the Fusion drive owns.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Can you even put in your own ram in the imacs? I know most of that poo poo is all glued down so it's impossible to mod more than the hard drive or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can on the 27" version

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Welp, color me learned. I thought with the refresh they had done what they did with the macbooks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is that only with the 27" iMacs? I was thinking of getting a 25" because that's the space I have available on my desktop.

Content:

2006 Ford Police Interceptor I won in an State of Oregon auction. Still has the plastic back seats designed for perps in cuffs.
Gotta look through the state regulations regarding putting flashing lights back in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is a 21 and 27. You cannot do it on the 21.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Android Bicyclist posted:

Is that only with the 27" iMacs? I was thinking of getting a 25" because that's the space I have available on my desktop.

Content:

2006 Ford Police Interceptor I won in an State of Oregon auction. Still has the plastic back seats designed for perps in cuffs.
Gotta look through the state regulations regarding putting flashing lights back in it.

How much? I am both tempted to get a CVPI and live in Oregon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

este posted:

How much? I am both tempted to get a CVPI and live in Oregon.
I'm also interested in a retired police vehicle, though I imagine the powertrains get worked pretty hard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Harmony Touch remote vanished from my place so I thought, what the heck, $400 for tv remotes in one calendar year sounds like a smart idea

(Harmony Smart Control)

This one's way better - doesn't need to be pointed at the devices and has no awkwardly placed touch screen.

Plus if I lose it again I can just use the phone app.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Android Bicyclist posted:

Are you a firefighter, EMT, or cop? If not, you're probably SOL.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

<--- That new avatar right there :v:

So sad to see the show end tonight :smith: But also really excited to see what Vince & the gang have in store for us.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm also interested in a retired police vehicle, though I imagine the powertrains get worked pretty hard.
They definitely do, but I've been told that Crown Vics are quite easy to work on. I'm actually tempted to check local police auctions after seeing Android's car, to be honest...

melon cat has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Sep 29, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Can you even put in your own ram in the imacs? I know most of that poo poo is all glued down so it's impossible to mod more than the hard drive or something.

No, you can't, and I totally didn't do any research on a $2800 purchase. Also, Yellow #5 makes your penis shrink and if you touch a baby bird its mom will reject it and it will die a painful death.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are you a firefighter, EMT, or cop? If not, you're probably SOL.

Actually a surprising number of states have laws stating red & blue flashing lights are legal just as long as you don't use them on the road.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I would hope that crown Vics are easy to work, the platform was in production for something like 30 years. Lots of time to simplify poo poo.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the 2012 version and the Fusion drive owns.

Eh, I was thinking I would get the 128SSD+3TBHDD fusion drive with the intent of swapping the HDD out later for another SSD when the prices drop, but now looking deeper into it, the SSD slot is now PCI-E which is quite a bit faster than SATA. I'm 95% sure I'm going to cancel the order and go with the 512GB SSD only and mount an external thunderbolt drive to the back for additional storage. I'm always willing to crack into "non-user upgradable" macs, but I figure now if I'm spending the extra to max everything else out, I might as well just bite the bullet for an extra couple hundred.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I paid just north of $2100 for my car, and it has just over 120k miles on it. I have a friend that also bought a used Crown Vic Police Interceptor and he gave me some important tips on how to shop for one:

1. Look for a state police car instead of a local cop one. Staties put highway miles on their vehicle, which is apparently a lot easier on a vehicle than city driving.
2. Crown Victorias are body-on-frame builds, so it's a lot easier to replace external parts if you get in a fender bender than newer cars.
3. Physically inspect each vehicle you're looking at, preferably with a mechanic friend that can poke around under the hood.

I saw 2006-2008 Dodge Chargers that were cooler-looking, but were ridden hard & I could see they were beat to poo poo. For those interested in looking at Oregon police/state auctions, check out their eBay site. The warehouse/lot even has computer terminals to bid on while on the premises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

bradzilla posted:

The pink and yellow striped ones on the bottom right (Howard Leight LL1) are one of my top picks, and can be found 200 pair for ~$20 on ebay with reasonable shipping if you are in the US. These are super-comfy and don't feel like they get icky and flat as fast. My second choice would be the blue Hearos, but they are much pricier. I am a super-light sleeper and my husband snores like a chainsaw, I absolutely cannot sleep without a pair.

Also these; X for me, Y for him.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Sep 29, 2013

• Locked thread