Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DigiDigi posted:

I made a different sort of power armor. For those fond of FF6:

It mostly just burns things.
1.5.2 Download (Make backups.)

:golfclap: This sir is a thing of beauty. When can I expect to be able to gas a town of Testificates with Bioblaster?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

DigiDigi posted:

Motherfu-... I've wanted Mech's in MC forever. :allears: Sworn off this silly block game for a few months 'tho, so i hope you keep at it!
Make a mining one, cmon you know you wanna. :getin:

So is it possible to make "mounts" that replace your current equipment with a set of abilities that they own? I figured that would be the hardest part in making Mech's in MC. That at best have to "craft" your guns and hold them in your hand not get them depending on the model of robot your climbing into.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DigiDigi posted:

Please tell me this is compatible with Big Dig.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

djw175 posted:

I will put it on my version of toasty if it can mine blocks into its own internal reserve that, when I park it, I can hook it up to an ME network that will identify it as a chest.

So really, just mount a diamond chest on the back and throw anything it zaps into it. Make mining fun again!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

DigiDigi posted:

For nostalgia's sake you should litter villages with inert ones the player can't interact with no matter what.

Seriously though, this looks amazing, I'm going to try it out tonight.

DigiDigi
Feb 17, 2011

djw175 posted:

Seems to be. Worth noting that I haven't tested much.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I will put it on my version of toasty if it can mine blocks into its own internal reserve that, when I park it, I can hook it up to an ME network that will identify it as a chest.

Pretty good idea. It doesn't make a tile entity when parked, but it does have its own inventory. Maybe I can make item collection a bit easier.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All of this talk of Magitek armor is neat, but how do I craft it?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
How do you load it with fuel so it can walk for that matter?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colon Semicolon posted:

How do you load it with fuel so it can walk for that matter?

You're going to have to build a Magitech factory and a portal to the realm of the Espers (be sure to bring a linking book, the portals are finicky). Each one is fuled by 10MJ of Esper misery per tick.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

All of this talk of Magitek armor is neat, but how do I craft it?

Use NEI since there is no other way to know. The instructions on how to use the armor is in the .rar file in a README file.
Things I have noticed so far (not criticizing your mod, just noting)
The only things the armor can currently do is walk up one block inclines, burn stuff, and provide immunity to zombies (since they can't reach you).
The firebeam has a very short range and can only hit blocks (not mobs). The armor doesn't actually provide any protection, and to attack things you actually need to equip a weapon. Where your model sits and where you actually sit are two different things. Anything you pick up goes into the armor inventory.
I don't know what plans he has for his mod but I forsee great things.

Also DigiDigi, I guess your first post was this mod? Welcome to the community!

Edit: My guess is each magicite has one ability, and depending on what magicite you have loaded into your Magitek armor gives it it's ability.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 25, 2013

DigiDigi
Feb 17, 2011
Here's the current recipe:

Rutibex posted:

You're going to have to build a Magitech factory and a portal to the realm of the Espers (be sure to bring a linking book, the portals are finicky). Each one is fuled by 10MJ of Esper misery per tick.
Given the undertaking of creating esper art assets, we might have to settle for extracting the essence of captured pokemon. Hopefully noone has any objections to this.

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: My guess is each magicite has one ability, and depending on what magicite you have loaded into your Magitek armor gives it it's ability.

Yep, that's pretty much the idea. Slot in a magicite or maybe even a cross-mod item like an ic2 drill. Maybe some sort of enchanter to infuse the magicite with different powers.
Depending on the number of abilities I end up making I could have them concentratable in one magicite, or have tech parts seperate, etc.

The beam /should/ be igniting mobs.. hmm..

(Wasn't really my first post.. which seems to have dissapeared, but may as well be. I've lurked for quite a while, glad to be here!)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

Maybe he could integrate Thaumcraft shards as an alternative? Or Safari Nets containing different mobs?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 25, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Change all the things! :black101:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

DigiDigi posted:

The beam /should/ be igniting mobs.. hmm..

I guess even if it is, the beam has a short range and the angle of attack is such a way, I wouldn't be able to notice since I'm setting the ground beneath them on fire, and if it is setting them on fire, then its just setting them on fire and not doing any fire damage.

Enzer posted:

Waiting on angry modders yelling at him with text now.

edit:
Yep, that's pretty much the idea. Slot in a magicite or maybe even a cross-mod item like an ic2 drill. Maybe some sort of enchanter to infuse the magicite with different powers.
Depending on the number of abilities I end up making I could have them concentratable in one magicite, or have tech parts seperate, etc.
/quote

If you are going to mod putting stuff in there like an IC2 drill, will the armor improve the performace? (3x3 mining area or addional speed) will it take enchantments into consideration?, Will it consume fuel faster or will it drain from the item?, will it draw fuel from its inventory?
Will there be upgrades to the armor? (fire immunity for the armor, increased protection for the rider, increased cargo capacity)

Will there be control modules? (basically items you hold in your hand that tells the armor to do an action, like use "Metal Claw" or "Magitek Laser" something)
Something similar to what Shadowmorn said.

Shadowmorn posted:

So is it possible to make "mounts" that replace your current equipment with a set of abilities that they own? I figured that would be the hardest part in making Mech's in MC. That at best have to "craft" your guns and hold them in your hand not get them depending on the model of robot your climbing into.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 26, 2013

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

Eh this is fairly annoying but it's literally just alt-shift-r refactor a bunch of things to BlockXXX.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen any 1.6.2 mod packs. I made one if anyone is interested; it's manual install of course:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zaztqwxiijk63yq

Mod List: http://pastebin.com/Tmf0xrF1

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What texture packs do people recommend for Big Dig?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Holy hell modding has become hard. It took whole evening to get a Minecraft 1.6.2 + Forge + Optifine + Liteloader + SPC + WorldEdit + WorldEdit CUI combo to work. Everything was so simple with just modloader, 1.5 or earlier and Magiclauncher.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ihmemies posted:

Holy hell modding has become hard. It took whole evening to get a Minecraft 1.6.2 + Forge + Optifine + Liteloader + SPC + WorldEdit + WorldEdit CUI combo to work. Everything was so simple with just modloader, 1.5 or earlier and Magiclauncher.

Just putting 1.6.2, Forge, Optifine, and Liteloader scares me. I need to do it, but I've kind of been putting it off 'cause the idea scares me. I'm a wimp.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
You really shouldn't be using Optifine because A) You probably don't need it anymore and B) It breaks mods at random.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:
What Shukaro said. There's a very good chance that's more Optifine's fault than it is 1.6.2's fault. I could never get Optifine to work with anything on versions of Minecraft where modding was easy, either.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
I gotta say that I really really hope RedPower2 comes back. That, or Eloraam's minia/zeta thing is what she was referring to on twitter, concerning a "big announcement". Basically a Minecraft clone built from the ground up in C++. Supposedly, Eloraam ports all her code from C++ to Java for RP2, so it's my pipedream that it means all of the RP2 features are already a part of it.

But really, its design is so crazy good, I think it really takes what made Minecraft fun and somewhat unique in the first place (building) and makes it better. Compared to other "tech" mods, RP2 is the only one that is any fun in creative. Instead of focusing on survival-mode benefits like fast digging tools, indestructible armor, other Skinner box type things that basically only ask that you dump resources into something, RP2's blocks provide several well-defined utilities that can do next to anything when combined with each other. There's nothing like the feeling of slaving away in the guts of a huge machine you built yourself, climbing out of the sub-basement, flicking a switch and watching it all work.

And there's so much stuff that nobody appreciates or knows about, like how tube networks can operate across unloaded chunks, same goes for RP2 computers and circuits.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Moog posted:

I gotta say that I really really hope RedPower2 comes back. That, or Eloraam's minia/zeta thing is what she was referring to on twitter, concerning a "big announcement". Basically a Minecraft clone built from the ground up in C++. Supposedly, Eloraam ports all her code from C++ to Java for RP2, so it's my pipedream that it means all of the RP2 features are already a part of it.

But really, its design is so crazy good, I think it really takes what made Minecraft fun and somewhat unique in the first place (building) and makes it better. Compared to other "tech" mods, RP2 is the only one that is any fun in creative. Instead of focusing on survival-mode benefits like fast digging tools, indestructible armor, other Skinner box type things that basically only ask that you dump resources into something, RP2's blocks provide several well-defined utilities that can do next to anything when combined with each other. There's nothing like the feeling of slaving away in the guts of a huge machine you built yourself, climbing out of the sub-basement, flicking a switch and watching it all work.

And there's so much stuff that nobody appreciates or knows about, like how tube networks can operate across unloaded chunks, same goes for RP2 computers and circuits.

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics
RedNet cables from Minefactory Reloaded
Redstone in Motion
Artifice
Logistics Pipes

those five mods have replicated pretty much 100% of RedPower2 and they've all done it in a way that doesn't mutilate servers. I can't think of a single feature of RP2 that isn't in one of those mods.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Sunblood posted:

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics
Redstone in Motion
Artifice
Logistics Pipes

those five mods have replicated pretty much 100% of RedPower2 and they've all done it in a way that doesn't mutilate servers. I can't think of a single feature of RP2 that isn't in one of those mods.

Compulsory volcanoes.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Sunblood posted:

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics
Redstone in Motion
Artifice
Logistics Pipes

Soul-crushing, server-melting lag.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

mechaet posted:

Soul-crushing, server-melting lag.

And Red Power didn't do that also?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

xanthan posted:

And Red Power didn't do that also?

He's joking that those mods don't provide that "feature".

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
So I had a really stupid idea for a mod. Forge Liquids:

Take any block in game.
Melt it into a liquid.
Keep it in a tank.
Change it back when you want it as a block again.

This would mostly be for decorative purposes, but you could probably use them with liquicrafters as well, in an ideal world.

It'd also have a sort of liquidizer gun for players to use. Shooting it at a block turns it into its liquid state, and vanilla blocks would have their own liquid states (Dirt to mud for example).

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Sunblood posted:

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics
Redstone in Motion
Artifice
Logistics Pipes

I mean yeah, you get your replacements for the major features, but there's a few missing. I really enjoyed playing with the computers, for instance. Fully emulated 6502 processor. And like I mentioned, it's built to not require chunk loaders, I am fairly certain that none of those have that feature. Also, RP2's tubes, to my knowledge, have not been emulated yet. So you can get a lot of the features, but I think it feels really slapshod because they all have their own differences and whatnot. Furthermore, RP2 has been made with a design philosophy that caters to the kind of gameplay I enjoy, the others are just emulating features because they left a huge hole in the automation crowd's toolbox when RP2 disappeared.

AE is an entirely different ball of wax. I really dislike it because it takes all the fun out of my spergy intricate machine building by giving you a big block that you plug other magical blocks into to make it do things for you. It's more survival oriented instead of building oriented, again.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

The only thing I'm missing from RP2 is the ability to pump liquids into the world. Which is coming with buildcraft.

Anything else is already replicated.

Moog posted:

Furthermore, RP2 has been made with a design philosophy that caters to the kind of gameplay I enjoy, the others are just emulating features because they left a huge hole in the automation crowd's toolbox when RP2 disappeared.

Elaborate please? If you mean computercraft interaction, you can actually get that with a lot of other mods.

VV Sometimes it is much more fun to watch the crazy machines do their thang though.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 28, 2013

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moog posted:

AE is an entirely different ball of wax. I really dislike it because it takes all the fun out of my spergy intricate machine building by giving you a big block that you plug other magical blocks into to make it do things for you. It's more survival oriented instead of building oriented, again.

I want to laugh at this but, to each his own or whatever.

AE is the easy way to solve the nightmare that comes with building crazy big machines.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Musluk posted:

The only thing I'm missing from RP2 is the ability to pump liquids into the world. Which is coming with buildcraft.

Anything else is already replicated.

Elaborate please? If you mean computercraft interaction, you can actually get that with a lot of other mods.

Basically all it comes down to for me is RedPower Control, and the fact that I'm a total RP2 fanboy. I also enjoy the consistent look and feel between all of RP2's parts, in addition to being one mod all it's own. It fits what I enjoy perfectly, and there's nothing that's swayed me yet in a "newer" mod, so I don't feel a need to change.

I've also got fingers spuriously crossed that some promised content, things like laser machine blocks, hard light, new sources and uses for power, more computer peripherals, 'swarm drones', amongst others, will come out some day and possibly return it to the limelight.
it's been more than 9 months since the last update, someone hold me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Moog posted:

Haha, you think Eloraam's code is better than Notch's.

hhahahahahaha

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Haha, you think Eloraam's code is better than Notch's.

hhahahahahaha

To be fair, she did come up with pipes that work differently and are an alternative to buildcraft, mobile Frames, redpower wiring, logic systems, and a whole slew of other stuff.

I remember when frames came out I saw the video and direwolf's first thought was :regd08:.

Now we have all sorts of mods each which copy or improve upon the stuff redpower had.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

SugarAddict posted:

To be fair, she did come up with pipes that work differently and are an alternative to buildcraft, mobile Frames, redpower wiring, logic systems, and a whole slew of other stuff.

I remember when frames came out I saw the video and direwolf's first thought was :regd08:.

Now we have all sorts of mods each which copy or improve upon the stuff redpower had.

The frames are a prime example of her lovely coding though, those were legendary for being problematic. RedPower in general had huge lag problems that were more of an issue than just loading a chunk or 2.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I miss fuckoff huge rubber trees that don't actually do anything and are ugly as poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I didn't say features, I said code. Her features were all pretty good and she made stuff really fast(for a while). But it was phenomenally badly coded and was an absolute performance nightmare, not to mention the huge bug problems. To just give an idea, her redstone timers reloaded the chunk they were in every single time they ticked.

It's a pretty common story. Creative programmer with lots of ideas and momentum creates something really cool very quickly, but their rate of innovation starts to decline before too long, under the weight of their poorly managed codebase. In fact, it's exactly what happened to Notch with Minecraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

I didn't say features, I said code. Her features were all pretty good and she made stuff really fast(for a while). But it was phenomenally badly coded and was an absolute performance nightmare, not to mention the huge bug problems. To just give an idea, her redstone timers reloaded the chunk they were in every single time they ticked.

I believe the same thing happens when something enters a tube network, which is really bad if you have a tube network over multiple chunks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pidmon posted:

I miss fuckoff huge rubber trees that don't actually do anything and are ugly as poo poo.
I'm nostalgic now. The best part was that they couldn't even be turned into planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

They didn't burn, either, so you couldn't clear them out with flint and steel.

I actually didn't mind the volcanoes too much, but holy poo poo those trees were horrid. And, of course, you could not turn them off because of her ~*~vision~*~ for things that wound up never getting implemented. She even, as I recall, pulled poo poo like putting the volcanoes (which a lot of people hated) in the machines module (which was a major reason people got the mod) to make sure you played with all the toys in the toybox, including the ones with jaggedy bits that you're pretty sure the cat pissed on.

• Locked thread