Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Sticky bombs are more versatile than I originally thought :aaaaa:

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AdrCxkpdDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm playing GTA5 with the sound off while I listen to (and occasionally watch) the Breaking Bad marathon on AMC in the background, and every time the show gets quiet, I get to hear my PS3's hard drive constantly spinning, even when I'm doing something basic like driving around with no wanted level and not saving. Jesus, it's like this game never gives the hard drive a break.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm not sure of the relevance that comparison held so I won't even bother.

Sticky bombs and anything that made explosions were my most used weapons because Trevor was the only one who could handle gunfire.
You can do some pretty cool things with them.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that stealing a food truck doesn't give you the option to do food truck missions.

I miss vigilante missions, too. What would have been funny is if you could have signed on to a GTA equivalent of Lyft and turned any car into your own taxi. Make money cruising around Los Santos in your modded sports sedan! Rob liquor stores while your fares wait patiently in the vehicle! Drop them off with cultists! Endless possibilities.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
What good ways are there to make money post story?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wasco Jr. posted:

Scrapyard seems decent

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Beat the story mode today on the PSN version. The pop-in was minimal at first but got worse the more I played. It's not just little things that I wouldn't have noticed as first because I was so entranced by the game, on the last mission there were a couple seconds times when an entire block of road and disappeared.

I'll probably pursue 100% in case anything ever comes of the UFO stuff, and I'm really looking forward to checking out Online when it launches this week. I don't even care about the PS4 that's getting delivered in a month and a half because I have so much left to do on my PS3.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ughhhhhh, how do I beat the race against Mary Ann down the beach mission as Michael? I keep accidentally clicking the left stick and going into hide mode and losing the split second lead I have on her :negative:

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
Seriously gently caress the 3rd triathlon. It is too loving long and I missed a bike checkpoint so it tells me to hold Y to restart from the previous checkpoint. What it actually means is start completely over.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wasco Jr. posted:

Probably save scumming with two or three different files in which you go all in on some different stocks and see if they go up or down. Multiple save files with huge investments in different BAWSAQ stocks overnight/between play sessions is also a good way to make some money by doing almost nothing. HAL and Piswasser are safe-ish bets right now.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

L_Harrison posted:

Sticky bombs are more versatile than I originally thought :aaaaa:

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AdrCxkpdDc

This video is great at summing up two things:

1) The limit in thrown items is stupid as poo poo when you can carry ten thousand bullets for everything but the explosive weapons.
2) Cops should not be able to keep up like that.

However I chaos dunked a sticky on a chopper from my BF Injection earlier and it was pretty rad.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ughhhhhh, how do I beat the race against Mary Ann down the beach mission as Michael? I keep accidentally clicking the left stick and going into hide mode and losing the split second lead I have on her :negative:

Skip across the grass. Block her whenever possible. And don't press the left stick. She's not that hard if you just want to finish the mission.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've finished up the story, and now I spend most of my time tooling around, doing all the random stuff I skipped while gunning for the story, and man, so far, this is easily my favorite game of 2013, and I have a hard time imagining how anything will knock it off that pedestal, especially once I get my grubby, goony hands on the PC version down the road.

In retrospect, all those "SR4 game of the year"-statements I saw seem hilarious. Having played that game back to back with GTA V, saints row seems almost embarrassingly bad, bordering on being the equivalent of an Asylum Production compared to a real movie.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 28, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Don't do that, I suppose. She's perfectly beatable unless you have lovely stamina. The first time I tried was really early in the game. Michael had crap for stamina and I ended up draining his health enough to make him faint about 8 feet from the finish line and lose by inches.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Is there some kind of algorithm/seed that determines what cars will spawn at any given moment? I was on the lookout for a Sentinel XS two days ago and found nothing but regular Sentinels for a good 2-3 hours. Yesterday I loaded the game and found that not only was the entire area around Michael's place littered with Sentinels, but about half of them were XSs. Today, I load up the game, no Sentinels at all, but now everyone drives either a Coquette or a Bullet. The gently caress?

All I want is an Ubermacht Zion. I have never, ever seen one in-game. But I know they're supposedly near Michael's house/the golf course. I like to think that one day I will load up the game and the streets will be littered with them. The search continues. :(

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Just maxed out Franklin's strength skill by knocking out every lawnchair-lounging lunch-eating rich motherfucker in vinewood hills in their own backyards. So easy to evade cops back there and get away with pummeling some yuppies. I just sucker punched some rich topless chick into a pool and money flew out. Hilarious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baron FU posted:

Skip across the grass. Block her whenever possible. And don't press the left stick. She's not that hard if you just want to finish the mission.

The Casualty posted:

Don't do that, I suppose. She's perfectly beatable unless you have lovely stamina. The first time I tried was really early in the game. Michael had crap for stamina and I ended up draining his health enough to make him faint about 8 feet from the finish line and lose by inches.
:lol: I just beat it by literally less than a split second, and that was even with falling down the stairs once or twice :downs:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cute as heck posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, the DJ's and talk shows are all great, but the music itself is just kinda lackluster. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the Saints Row soundtracks.

Yeah, this is a GTA game and I don't want to be exposed to new and interesting music I might enjoy "no really listen to this". I want to listen to that guilty pleasure poo poo I'd never put on otherwise and certainly not in company. I want to drive through Vicy City in a convertible listening to Sunglasses at Night and Owner of a Lonely Heart, explore the desert around Las Venturas on a chopper while Freebird plays (on and on)...

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

In retrospect, all those "SR4 game of the year"-statements I saw seem hilarious. Having played that game back to back with GTA V, saints row seems almost embarrassingly bad, bordering on being the equivalent of an Asylum Production compared to a real movie.

The only reason that Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs seemed to be decent games was that GTA IV was such a letdown. Going back to either series now is just impossible, they play like poo poo compared to GTA V.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

:lol: I just beat it by literally less than a split second, and that was even with falling down the stairs once or twice :downs:

You can also cheat by jumping the fence at the start and she will complain about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cugel posted:

You can also cheat by jumping the fence at the start and she will complain about it.
Yeah, that's what I did. I also used up all of Michael's special move, though I don't really think that did anything because she was right behind me after it disengaged.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baron FU posted:

The only reason that Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs seemed to be decent games was that GTA IV was such a letdown. Going back to either series now is just impossible, they play like poo poo compared to GTA V.

I don't know, sleeping dogs still has a pretty awesome fighting system. GTAV's fighting system is really simplistic by comparison.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know, sleeping dogs still has a pretty awesome fighting system. GTAV's fighting system is really simplistic by comparison.

The lovely driving in Sleeping Dogs ruined it for me. But the brawling was pretty decent. Still 1/10th of the game GTA V is for me.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

Baron FU posted:

GTA IV was such a letdown? Man. I know this game is great and it seems like 5 years was forever ago, but you are pretty jaded with that statement. Were you born in 2009? Did you forget how it shattered industry records was getting 9/10 and 10/10 from every major game related site? How about that 98/100 metacritic? 25 million copies sold worldwide. Oooh boy, what a stinker!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nerolus posted:

Did you forget how it shattered industry records was getting 9/10 and 10/10 from every major game related site? How about that 98/100 metacritic? 25 million copies sold worldwide.

Something can sell poo poo tons and still be disappointing or a letdown to people, hell things can sell heaps and gobs and be total trash! I liked GTA IV and all, that argument that "Sales/Ratings = Quality" just bothers me, especially when major reviewing sites aren't exactly shy about throwing out 9's and 10's like crazy. :v:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Nerolus posted:

GTA IV was such a letdown? Man. I know this game is great and it seems like 5 years was forever ago, but you are pretty jaded with that statement. Were you born in 2009? Did you forget how it shattered industry records was getting 9/10 and 10/10 from every major game related site? How about that 98/100 metacritic? 25 million copies sold worldwide. Oooh boy, what a stinker!

It really was and that is not an uncommon opinion. And since when were industry reviews and metacritic taken seriously?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

It really was and that is not an uncommon opinion. And since when were industry reviews and metacritic taken seriously?

I would argue that GTA IV being a letdown (which doesn't mean bad, by the way) is the majority opinion on that game. Reviews are generally released before people can play the game, and by their very nature, most sales happen before a player can play the game. If people had some way of knowing before hand that GTA IV wasn't the San Andreas 2 most GTA fans wanted, it wouldn't have reached 25 million.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 28, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Baron FU posted:

The lovely driving in Sleeping Dogs ruined it for me. But the brawling was pretty decent. Still 1/10th of the game GTA V is for me.

One thing I'm missing from Sleeping Dogs is the action hijack! Maybe it would have been a bit too outlandish in GTA V (?!), but I loved being able to evade cops and switch cars on the fly.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Considering you basically do that to a yacht early on, I don't think it'd be too far fetched. :v:

Biggums
Oct 7, 2012

Who could have Murdered this Terrorist?
Do I have to take hitchhikers and other people to the Cult to get 100%? Because I can't get myself to do it, I feel really bad about it so I've only done It once.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Aurain posted:

I would argue that GTA IV being a letdown (which doesn't mean bad, by the way) is the majority opinion on that game. Reviews are generally released before people can play the game, and by their very nature, most sales happen before a player can play the game. If people had some way of knowing before hand that GTA IV wasn't the San Andreas 2 most GTA fans wanted, it wouldn't have reached 25 million.

I agree totally. GTA was not a bad game, it just lacked that GTA feel of the older games. After about 10 or so hours I was so dissapointed as it was not what I was looking for in a GTA game.

GTA 5 on the other hand is awesome, car swallowing garages notwithstanding.

Edit: lost the quote somehow

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 28, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Capn Beeb posted:

Considering you basically do that to a yacht early on, I don't think it'd be too far fetched. :v:

I could see Franklin and Trevor doing it but Michael leaping from a speeding car to another is just... well it'd be funny, but I don't know if it would fit the character. Maybe I'm taking my GTA too seriously.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game got a lot more enjoyable now I've unlocked Trevor.

Also, having not played GTA4 am I right in guessing that Trevor's first mission has you completely wipe out a gang and set of players you spent an entire DLC expansion playing as? :catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, pretty much. It's an awesome introduction.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Biggums posted:

Do I have to take hitchhikers and other people to the Cult to get 100%? Because I can't get myself to do it, I feel really bad about it so I've only done It once.

No, it's a random event so as long as you do 14 other events they will count for your 100%

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

I guess I stumbled into some alternate gooniverse where GTA:IV sucked poo poo and the sales and reviews meant nothing at all.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't know. I keep trying to jump through car windows to steal them and every time it doesn't happen I get a little bit sad. Also I wish the huge mission list and random events of V could be crammed together with SR4's minigames and collectables. Neither are wholly satisfactory.

Yes and it is loving therapeutic. Johnny and his pals were overly dramatic tight assed wastes of time.

kater fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 28, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, hiding in a bush does not guarantee cops will not find you.

I was playing darts as Franklin and got the cops called on me cause some lady was all OMG A BLACK PERSON! IN MAH TOWN! and I may have sort of beat the hell out of her and ran, but when I was running across the desert trying to evade the cops, I hid in a big bush.

They got out of the cars and started sweeping the area, and found me stealth hiding in the bush. I was not expecting that.

I still killed em and got away, but still, the game continues to surprise.

(was grey in the radar, so I was hid)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 28, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

kater posted:

I don't know. I keep trying to jump through car windows to steal them and every time it doesn't happen I get a little bit sad. Also I wish the huge mission list and random events of V could be crammed together with SR4's minigames and collectables. Neither are wholly satisfactory.

There are things about SRIV that made me incredibly giddy and I enjoyed it in ways that GTAV didn't even get close to, but the vice-versa can be said about GTAV. The world and certain things in GTAV are beyond compare and despite some of its annoyances it's an astoundingly great game. I'd still be hesitant to call it GOTY though until the hype goes down and we see what GTA:O has to offer. In my opinion even though SRIV and GTAV share the same genre and have the same roots, they're really different games now and comparing them is pointless.

I just wish GTAV's garage system came remotely close to SRIV's (which was kinda poo poo compared to SR2's) or Sleeping Dogs'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Faltion posted:

There are things about SRIV that made me incredibly giddy and I enjoyed it in ways that GTAV didn't even get close to, but the vice-versa can be said about GTAV. The world and certain things in GTAV are beyond compare and despite some of its annoyances it's an astoundingly great game. I'd still be hesitant to call it GOTY though until the hype goes down and we see what GTA:O has to offer. In my opinion even though SRIV and GTAV share the same genre and have the same roots, they're really different games now and comparing them is pointless.

I just wish GTAV's garage system came remotely close to SRIV's (which was kinda poo poo compared to SR2's) or Sleeping Dogs'.

Agreed. I don't think GTA V has any impact on how I felt about Sleeping Dogs or SR4. They all focus on such different things. As much as GTA V is worth playing, it strikes me as more impressive and compelling as a place to experience than truly well designed in terms of gameplay systems and narrative.

• Locked thread