Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh my god did you really just make an unironic "the look" post?

I swear, if Bill Simmons starts writing about sumo... :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

evilwaldo posted:

That is a dedication there that is not seen in Harumafuji. He doesn't look lost but he does not look like a Yokozuna. It does not look like he is coming to the match with a look and feeling like he wants to win.

This is the thing though - he wins like a Yokozuna. He's halfway up the career division wins leaderboard for Yokozunas. Even if he got injured and retired tommorrow, he's had a pretty solid career, but he still probably has something left in the tank.

quote:

I think people's issue with him is that this is his 5th basho as Yokozuna and he still looks like he hasn't gotten over the butterflies. Jumpy starts, ugly wins, silly losses, poor body language, and the simple fact that nobody is afraid of him. How many wins have we seen out of Hakuho this basho alone where his opponents barely survive the tachi-ai due to some combination of making GBS threads their pants and making GBS threads the bed?

Yeah, but Hakuho is making a tilt at the best ever, whereas Harumafuji a solid but not outstanding member of the club. To use an analogy from another sport, it's like suggesting that Billy Williams isn't a hall of famer because he's not as good as Ted Williams. Well yeah, he isn't, and it's not even close, but Ted Williams greatness doesn't diminish Billy Williams effort.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8KYHQOM9c.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh my god did you really just make an unironic "the look" post?

Actually what helps Hakuho stand out head and shoulders above everyone else is his touch

He got the powerrrrrrr

edit: That was a pretty fun day! I was disappointed to see Kotoyuuki and Kotoshougiku lose but Yoshikaze kicking the gyoji right in the mouth was hilarious! Also Harumafuji has 2 henkas in such a short period of time. I get that he's smaller than everyone else and he has to set up some mind games to win but it's not great to watch!

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 24, 2013

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I went to day 9. It was a fun time. Saw Chiyotairyu beat that fucker Kisenosato, saw my Chiba brother Takayasu win, saw Endo beat loving Yoshikaze. All in all, it was a good day.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Kikkoman posted:

edit: [/spoiler] but Yoshikaze kicking the gyoji right in the mouth was hilarious!

He caught him good too. How old are the gyoji anyway? They may get some serious bumps if they aren't careful!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Funkysauce posted:

He caught him good too. How old are the gyoji anyway? They may get some serious bumps if they aren't careful!

They make sure all the gyoji are at just the right age where it's as funny as possible when they get knocked over, without them actually breaking something or dying

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

We now have ourselves a basho f'sho!

Assuming no other stupid losses by Kisenosato (decent chance of pulling that off) or Harumafuji (will henka his way to that at this rate), it's going to be a bloodbath on days 13-15, with Kisenosato likely going against the Yokozunae on days 13/14 and of course with the Yokozuna derby on day 15. Kakuryu is always full of surprises and disappointments, so who knows how he'll spice things up.

Or if they all beat each other up, Homasho may pull a Kyokutenho yusho at this rate.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

anakha posted:

Gyojis getting taken out by rikishi will never cease to be entertaining.

Is the Gyoji getting taken out seen as shameful or "bad" on their part? With all the tradition and stuff that Sumo has going for it, this basho has got me wondering if them stumbling or getting hit is seen as a bad thing traditionally?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

We now have ourselves a basho f'sho!

Assuming no other stupid losses by Kisenosato (decent chance of pulling that off) or Harumafuji (will henka his way to that at this rate), it's going to be a bloodbath on days 13-15, with Kisenosato likely going against the Yokozunae on days 13/14 and of course with the Yokozuna derby on day 15. Kakuryu is always full of surprises and disappointments, so who knows how he'll spice things up.

Or if they all beat each other up, Homasho may pull a Kyokutenho yusho at this rate.

Whoever wins, Kisenosato becomes yokozuna.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQeH5jREUbQ

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

efb

What a day. :stare:

Almost saw a double kinboshi from Goeido. Hell of a match between him and Harumafuji.

Endo, holy poo poo balls. What the hell did I just witness? Can I rescind my guess that he might be an Ozeki in a few years and change that to "by the end of 2014"?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
As he gets some experience under his belt Endo is the man to watch for the next 10 bashos.

Aminishiki made a great save there!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Endo, holy poo poo balls. What the hell did I just witness? Can I rescind my guess that he might be an Ozeki in a few years and change that to "by the end of 2014"?

2014? Hell, if he keeps this up, he might make it before he gets his topknot.

I know I'm exaggerating, but it's still fun to imagine...

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 25, 2013

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's why Aminishiki is my dude. It literally doesn't matter who he's up against, he has a chance to win. Hakuho, Kisenosato, anyone. He always has the potential to gently caress things up even when he's having a bad tournament.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

anakha posted:

2014? Hell, if he keeps this up, he might make it before he gets his topknot.

I know I'm exaggerating, but it's still fun to imagine...

Quite a few rikishi hit a wall once they are matched up against top competition day in and day out. I think he'll get to around M3 without much trouble in the next six months, but getting from there to ozeki could take a while.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

Quite a few rikishi hit a wall once they are matched up against top competition day in and day out. I think he'll get to around M3 without much trouble in the next six months, but getting from there to ozeki could take a while.

The next six months? He might be there after this basho...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

The next six months? He might be there after this basho...

I wonder how plausible that is. He'd have to move up 18 or 19 spots. There are already a few kachi-koshis above him and several more on the verge. If he goes 3-1 the rest of the way and wins 11, I still don't think he gets any higher than M6 or so.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So what's been up with our favorite wrestler, Takanoyama? Has he been figured out?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWniSsXfuA0

After watching today, it seemed to me even at full speed that Endou got a call his way. He is still great to watch and will definitely keep an eye on him.

Harumauji vs. Kisenosato another great match to watch! Kisenosato looking really sharp.

Hakuho I hadn't seen until now that foot yank, I thought it would have been called something else. Kintamayama seemed to think so as well.

Also, it hit me this week at some point that Kintamayama means Testicle Mountain. 金玉山 I mean that is the kanji, can a better Japanese speaker please sort me out?

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Also, it hit me this week at some point that Kintamayama means Testicle Mountain. 金玉山 I mean that is the kanji, can a better Japanese speaker please sort me out?

My Japanese is very low level, but, "gold jewel" is the literal translation for "testicle"? Seems to fit Kintamayama's sense of humor if true.

Day 14 is going to be huge. I can't wait. I really want to see Kise beat Hakuho again.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's pretty startling to see a guy like Kotoshogiku not having a loving clue how to fight Hakuho even after 40 matchups. He just grabs the mawashi and tries to do his usual humpety-bumpety yorikiri routine. You'd think he'd try something different for a change.

Also, Harumafuji keeps making it rain. Just not in a way beneficial to him.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fryhtaning posted:

My Japanese is very low level, but, "gold jewel" is the literal translation for "testicle"? Seems to fit Kintamayama's sense of humor if true.

Day 14 is going to be huge. I can't wait. I really want to see Kise beat Hakuho again.

Kintama is slang for balls, not a formal translation of testicle

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2lW1JZYcbg

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

:smith:

Not the results I was hoping for all-around. Even Endou and Homasho lost.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

In fairness, expecting Endo to beat a Komusubi in his first try was probably a bit much.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Who would be more frightening, Takanoyama if he gained some weight, or Gagamaru if he lost a bunch?

Also it said in one of the videos that Aran's stable is closing? If stables have a one foreigner limit, what does that mean for him?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Who would be more frightening, Takanoyama if he gained some weight, or Gagamaru if he lost a bunch?

Also it said in one of the videos that Aran's stable is closing? If stables have a one foreigner limit, what does that mean for him?

Gagamaru's weight is the only thing giving him any kind of advantage. His technique and balance are terrible. Takanoyama with another 30 lbs would be a beast.

That's what I heard too about Aran's stable. Hope Baruto owes him a favor or else he may be "voluntarily deported" if no other spots have opened up due to rikishi retirements.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This video has been making the rounds for the slam that this guy pulls off (Turn your volume down). Figure I'd post it up for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPqCjg2g2s

Also, I've seen it mentioned that the guy who did the slamming (Byambajav Ulambayar) is a world champion. Anyone ever heard of this dude? Any reason he wouldn't be in the Japanese basho?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This video has been making the rounds for the slam that this guy pulls off (Turn your volume down). Figure I'd post it up for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPqCjg2g2s

Also, I've seen it mentioned that the guy who did the slamming (Byambajav Ulambayar) is a world champion. Anyone ever heard of this dude? Any reason he wouldn't be in the Japanese basho?

He's an amateur sumo champion, not a professional rikishi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Man, not even up for Goueido domination station?

So, the guy who was supposed to become the head of Aran's heya left with Baruto a few years back. The current guy turned 65 and is retiring, and there is nobody to take over (it sounds like a small stable).

Now all of those rikishi are moving to a new one (its already been decided), its the one that Tochiozan, tochinoshin, and Aoiyama wrestle for. You can check it out by searching for 春日野部屋. (Don't drop the 部屋, you will get animated :nms: child poo poo)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8OjBJVlsw

Hopefully Endo's injury is minimal

Hakuho is God

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He's an amateur sumo champion, not a professional rikishi.

Oh okay, I see. That makes sense. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Even I felt tired after that Homasho bout.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Pity the source material isn't in a higher resolution so we'd be able to breakdown that supposed hair pull frame by frame.

At least we'll have some guys sitting on a 7-7 record to create at least a little tension tomorrow with Tochiozan, Shohozan and Okinoumi deciding whose going to end up where on November's banzuke.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gaiDxUaM00

Slightly better quality and a couple more angles. I don't think it was a hair pull, you can see how his hand kinda rolls across the back of Kisenosato's head.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, we're in the presence of a loving god. We will be forever spoiled after Hakuho retires because anybody who stumbles into becoming a Yokozuna afterwards will be seen as unimpressive. Hell we've already started on Harumafuji.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
If you look at Hakuho at about 9:10 into Kinta's video, you can see a good bit of blood coming from the area around his eye. Even Gods can bleed, evidently.

But yeah, Hakuho is so good it's unreal.

No idea on the hairpull, seems like it could go either way. It certainly wasn't obviously one.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TbpuJTgbU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
A Good Basho

Shohozan scrambling around is the funniest thing today