Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

ninmeister posted:

Well, I flashed the 9/21 CM 10.2 nightly on my Sprint Galaxy S3 after those RIL changes were merged in. It looks like it has helped, but developed an interesting little bug. It will show my connection as no connection (the hollow signal triangle), yet in phone status it shows I'm on eHRPD and data will work fine. This seems to only happen in a low signal situation. But at least the data is working.

I imagine that will get worked out. The weekend will be a good time to see how this works. Thanks LastInLine for the information on that being merged in!

Edit: lol nope data still seems to be pretty broken. Back to touchwiz.

every now-and-then I hop in here to check if there are any good 3rd party ROM's for my Sprint GS3...thanks for this early warning. I haven't read back too far in the thread recently :effort: but are most people running rooted stock on the GS3's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

every now-and-then I hop in here to check if there are any good 3rd party ROM's for my Sprint GS3...thanks for this early warning. I haven't read back too far in the thread recently :effort: but are most people running rooted stock on the GS3's?

Most people run CM or other 4.2 AOSP-based roms, as far as I can tell.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've been running CleanROM on my Verizon GS3 with a theme that makes it look like AOSP. Solves 99% of my problems with touchwiz, but it is stuck on 4.1.2. Still, running stock gives me the best stability and the touchwiz camera is fantastic.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wait, Cyanogen doesn't do HDMI out? Might explain why my HDMI out cable stopped working for my Nexus 4. :(

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
cmxlog seems to have stopped working. Trying to follow changelogs on the official tracker is obnoxious. :argh:

Did something change with root access for apps? I have AdAway set to autoupdate once a day, but now the update hangs until I hit the notification which apparently lets it get root access and finish.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Frozen-Solid posted:

cmxlog seems to have stopped working. Trying to follow changelogs on the official tracker is obnoxious. :argh:
BBQLog still works

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

That's the "official" changelog. Cyanogenmod.org links to it, and it's terrible.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

My GS3 i9300 runs Googy Max Kernel, which allows for dualbooting between rooted stock 4.1.2 and CM10.2. Decisions are overrated. :smug:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Frozen-Solid posted:

That's the "official" changelog. Cyanogenmod.org links to it, and it's terrible.

http://review.cyanogenmod.org is the official changelog. Anything else (bbqlog, cmxlog, et al) just parses that or the github commits.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I'm right in thinking that when I get a new phone, I can just upload my Titanium backup to Box, then just download it onto my new phone and all the app data will work like a charm?

Also it's a long shot but the new phone will be the Galaxy Mega 6.3 - anyone running root and a rom on one of those?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

nimper posted:

http://review.cyanogenmod.org is the official changelog. Anything else (bbqlog, cmxlog, et al) just parses that or the github commits.

The cyanogenmod website forwards it's changelog link directly to BBQlog. http://www.cyanogenmod.org/changelog

That is why I call it the "official" changelog.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

AlphaXPlusToyotaMarshmellow

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Frozen-Solid posted:

The cyanogenmod website forwards it's changelog link directly to BBQlog. http://www.cyanogenmod.org/changelog

That is why I call it the "official" changelog.

How interesting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LiquidRain posted:

Wait, Cyanogen doesn't do HDMI out? Might explain why my HDMI out cable stopped working for my Nexus 4. :(

HDMI outputs on both the Nexus 4 and Optimus G variants are all over the place in 10.2. To be completely honest I don't think they understand what's going on there - Nexus 4 uses Slimport, not MHL, and I think different variants of the G use slightly different driver revisions and thus aren't compatible across the board. This is a known problem with NFC drivers, for example.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I definately am an amateur when reading through CM change log commit documentation.. so would this change to be in the next nightly: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/49314/ possibly have anything to do with the bad data connection on my Sprint GS3?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you were missing an APN you'd have no data connection at all. So no, that doesn't look like it will help with an intermittent problem.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

No, it's like if you put your band's recordings out under an open license (I'd say CC-BY-SA would be a reasonable GPL analog for such things) and someone decided to put them in to a compilation album.

When you release code under the GPL that's the agreement you're making with the world.

Yeah sorry you are completely right, I had forgotten this was all GPL. I'm bad at analogies.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hooah posted:

do you know why the built-in SuperUser functionality would crap out after a day or two?
If it's CM 10.2 then the Superuser daemon may be crapping out.

Hoenstly Superuser in 10.2 is kind of janky right now. There's some work being done to sort it out but folks are busy and time and stuff. SuperSU may serve as a reasonable alternative right now, but it does questionable things in the long run.

ninmeister posted:

Well, I flashed the 9/21 CM 10.2 nightly on my Sprint Galaxy S3 after those RIL changes were merged in. It looks like it has helped, but developed an interesting little bug.
Data issues are still actively being looked at, so yeah, give it a few more days. I'd be interested in checking myself but it's an absolute hassle to reactivate a d2spr on SERO.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

CM 10.1 works pretty well. It's 10.2 that's causing grief the way Android always causes grief for CDMA, Sprint, etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If it's CM 10.2 then the Superuser daemon may be crapping out.

Honestly Superuser in 10.2 is kind of janky right now. There's some work being done to sort it out but folks are busy and time and stuff. SuperSU may serve as a reasonable alternative right now, but it does questionable things in the long run.

Whoa, you're back in the Android threads! Good to have you dropping by with your excellent knowledge.

I figured it was basically what you said, but I know jack-poo poo about CM/Android development, so it's good to hear it from an expert.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

CM 10.1 works pretty well. It's 10.2 that's causing grief the way Android always causes grief for CDMA, Sprint, etc.
Yeah, CDMA is always a pain in the rear end but the latest 10.2 nightly is working well on my Sprint S3 and 10.1.3 was rock solid for me.

Edit: I take that back, 9/26 nightly causes data issues, I'm looking forward to going GSM in a couple of months.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 27, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Whoa, you're back in the Android threads! Good to have you dropping by with your excellent knowledge.

I figured it was basically what you said, but I know jack-poo poo about CM/Android development, so it's good to hear it from an expert.
I'd love to hear an EB! braindump on the nuts and bolts, but the short version is that in 4.3 the typical way Superuser worked was broken. To fix it, SuperSU and later Superuser took over the old install-recovery.sh script that ran when the phone started. What it used to do was install the stock recovery (obviously) and the recovery generally had a feature that deleted that file for you if it detected its presence.

That's why when 4.3 came out and SuperSU and Superuser were updated you had to also get an updated recovery which made sure not to erase install-recovery.sh for you because now that script runs a daemon which runs in the background to handle superuser requests. If that daemon were to stop running for some reason, any superuser requests would fail.

As I've never had Superuser stop working I don't really know how to troubleshoot the problem. I doubt there'd be a way to restart the daemon without restarting the phone as you'd need root to access the script to manually run it yourself.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Can anyone help a retard out and tell me what I need to root, and then wipe my phone so I can just reinstall the basic poo poo instead of all this Verizon garbage?

I have a RAZR MAXX running 4.1.2 according to my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

Can anyone help a retard out and tell me what I need to root, and then wipe my phone so I can just reinstall the basic poo poo instead of all this Verizon garbage?

Just go to Settings > Apps and disable what you don't want.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Just go to Settings > Apps and disable what you don't want.

I've tried that, they just start right back up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

Verizon is so good at being terrible. :allears:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Good reception in my area though! I rooted my OG droid back in the day, but that was years ago and I haven't kept up with anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostnuke posted:

Motorola really did a good job at security on Jellybean in their TI-OMAP4430 sibling devices (such as your Razr Maxx). The only known root method for your phone is to run Linux. I'm not even kidding. Rooting newer devices is nowhere near as nice and simple as the old OG Droid.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/16518-root-motoshare-2-old-bug-new-exploit/

The root method involves exploiting Moto's file sharing app on your phone to be able to push in the su binary & superuser. It all has to be done while executing some command line items as well.

However, once you get rooted just get friendly with Titanium Backup so it can go scrub the bloatware out of your phone. If you ever gently caress up too badly when scrubbing unwanted parts go snag the full system FXZ file and RSDLite to reflash your phone and try again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghostnuke posted:

Just to be clear, you disabled the apps and they started up again? Not closed, but disabled? That shouldn't be even slightly possible because disabling the app, well, disables it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes, this happens with Verizon and T-Mobile pre-installed apps at least. They'll re-enable at boot, and I think I even saw them re-enable without rebooting. I'm rooted, so I just deleted the offending apps, but it was pretty annoying. I think T-Mobile MyAccount and the stupid Zynga games thing were two doing it offhand with my SGS3.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, sometimes I find it hard to comprehend how much the US mobile phone industry hates its own customer base.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not like people are going to stop using cell phones, so they're pretty much free to gently caress with us as much as possible within the legal limits. Which they're happy to do in general.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

ProjektorBoy posted:

Motorola really did a good job at security on Jellybean in their TI-OMAP4430 sibling devices (such as your Razr Maxx). The only known root method for your phone is to run Linux. I'm not even kidding. Rooting newer devices is nowhere near as nice and simple as the old OG Droid.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/16518-root-motoshare-2-old-bug-new-exploit/

The root method involves exploiting Moto's file sharing app on your phone to be able to push in the su binary & superuser. It all has to be done while executing some command line items as well.

However, once you get rooted just get friendly with Titanium Backup so it can go scrub the bloatware out of your phone. If you ever gently caress up too badly when scrubbing unwanted parts go snag the full system FXZ file and RSDLite to reflash your phone and try again.

Suck. I don't know the first thing about running Linux, so I guess I'm screwed this gen. Thanks for the info though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to get the photosphere camera/gallery back on CM10.2 nightlies? I seem to have lost the ability do do both.

This is on a N4.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone run MIUI? What do you think of it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

Is there a way to get the photosphere camera/gallery back on CM10.2 nightlies? I seem to have lost the ability do do both.

This is on a N4.
Of course, just flash a GApps package that includes the stock camera.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I've thought about rooting and installing a custom rom on my Xperia Arc to make it last a few months longer. Is there any security concerns about this? I use a bank app with a mobile ID app and I've hesitated about installing some random rom from a 16-year old of the internet.
It would make my Arc look (and hopefully run) better. :shobon:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

Does anyone run MIUI? What do you think of it

It's pretty nice.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

saihttam posted:

I've thought about rooting and installing a custom rom on my Xperia Arc to make it last a few months longer. Is there any security concerns about this? I use a bank app with a mobile ID app and I've hesitated about installing some random rom from a 16-year old of the internet.
It would make my Arc look (and hopefully run) better. :shobon:

There seems to be plenty of activity at XDA. I'd probably get a CM based ROM if you care about 12 year olds putting hidden malware but you'll never be 100% sure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Godzilla07 posted:

It's pretty nice.

Was this supposed to be an example of being nice?

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want to ask questions about the Note 2 and kernels/rom recommendations, like if there are any things worth keeping from Touchwiz or if I should just install Carbon like I did for the Note 1, and if I should bother with one of these supposedly amazing custom kernels. Can anyone please talk to me over PMs? The XDA developers forums is a nightmare of broken sentences and confusing acronyms.