Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Bisensual posted:

it was explicitly stated that Mikasa and her mother are the last of the "Orient" race.

That the bandits knew of. It was supposed to be taken as "they're not from here and uncommon", rather than an absolute statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Roland Jones posted:

We've already established that they're all German. You're ignoring the rest of that post, and this thread, to quibble with a small part of it outside of its context.
I could've said more, Erwin just seemed like the most obvious example (although many other characters in AoT, like Eren, do not look particularly white). I think it's true that anime characters often use certain "white" features, in particular hair colors that are non-existent or extremely rare among the Japanese, which would be anything other than black. Although I guess that's probably not them trying to make their characters look white, it's just to make things more interesting and make it easier to tell them apart (important when a lot of anime seem to have characters with extremely similar faces).

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cicero posted:

in particular hair colors that are non-existent or extremely rare among the Japanese

Blue, purple and green hair are equally non-existent or extremely rare among non-Japanese people as well.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And characters in anime don't really look white; they're cartoons, and so simplified that they usually lack clear or overt "racial" features. This isn't always the case, though; Naoki Urasawa is a manga artist whose Japanese characters look Japanese (just see 20th Century Boys for this).
I often think about how easy it is for Japanese audiences to pick up different American portrayals of race in cartoons. Do we have a different vocabulary of symbols we use to differentiate race that are opaque to each other, or is our more heterogenous culture just more hung up on issues of race in our pop culture? Given how hair/eye color means pretty much nothing about race in anime, I'm wondering if Japanese kids watching Adventure Time will think Finn's white.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know why, but apparently it's a new trend to draw Annie as Squidward.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Thumbtacks posted:

Her nose.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my god this is amazing.

Agreed. That guy put in some fuckin' work. 2206 frames over two months. It's a shame the guy you quoted linked to a crappy rear end 360p (?!) version. Do yourself a favor and rewatch it in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfmu7Jeyz0

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just started this show two days ago and I'm caught up. This is pretty amazing, but I've heard its different from the manga in a fashion similar to FMA?

And they're only up to episode 24 correct? Can anyone tell me how many are planned? How close is this to end game? (It seems rather close, but thats because everything is a loving climax)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

hi liter posted:

Just started this show two days ago and I'm caught up. This is pretty amazing, but I've heard its different from the manga in a fashion similar to FMA?

And they're only up to episode 24 correct? Can anyone tell me how many are planned? How close is this to end game? (It seems rather close, but thats because everything is a loving climax)

It's not different. Maybe a panel or two have been cut out. There is one episode left this season.
EDIT: I am a robot. Beep. Boop.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

That the bandits knew of. It was supposed to be taken as "they're not from here and uncommon", rather than an absolute statement.

I feel when the author makes such a explicit statement, even if he's using a side character as a mouthpiece for that statement, you just have to assume it's true. Mikasa is the last (half) asian in the world, we have no reason to think otherwise. Sure, this was voiced by a random kidnapper, but nothing that has happened so far has disproved him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Denim Avenger posted:

I feel when the author makes such a explicit statement, even if he's using a side character as a mouthpiece for that statement, you just have to assume it's true. Mikasa is the last (half) asian in the world, we have no reason to think otherwise. Sure, this was voiced by a random kidnapper, but nothing that has happened so far has disproved him.

Maybe the last in the walls. I HIGHLY doubt there are 0 humans left elsewhere in the world.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Senor Candle posted:

Maybe the last in the walls. I HIGHLY doubt there are 0 humans left elsewhere in the world.

That's another matter, if there is another walled of piece if civilization out there then yes, this statement might not be true. But narratively I doubt there are any other survivor civilizations simply because that would detract from the narrative. The tension is substantially higher if there is no where to retreat to if the walls fail, or if humanity will at least survive somewhere else.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

It's more than the nose it's the whole expression and demeanor. Wow it's just so perfect.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

AF posted:

Agreed. That guy put in some fuckin' work. 2206 frames over two months. It's a shame the guy you quoted linked to a crappy rear end 360p (?!) version. Do yourself a favor and rewatch it in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfmu7Jeyz0

It was the one sent to me. I didn't realize there was a higher quality version!

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

AF posted:

Almost better than the Cookie Clicker one.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

snucks posted:

I often think about how easy it is for Japanese audiences to pick up different American portrayals of race in cartoons. Do we have a different vocabulary of symbols we use to differentiate race that are opaque to each other, or is our more heterogenous culture just more hung up on issues of race in our pop culture? Given how hair/eye color means pretty much nothing about race in anime, I'm wondering if Japanese kids watching Adventure Time will think Finn's white.
I think this is the right answer. Lots of modern Japanese art is inspired by Tezuka, who was heavily influenced by Disney. There isn't a secret underlying meaning behind race in anime at all.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bisensual posted:

Almost better than the Cookie Clicker one.

What cookie clicker one?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kild posted:

What cookie clicker one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_UhcbbIZM

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Denim Avenger posted:

That's another matter, if there is another walled of piece if civilization out there then yes, this statement might not be true. But narratively I doubt there are any other survivor civilizations simply because that would detract from the narrative. The tension is substantially higher if there is no where to retreat to if the walls fail, or if humanity will at least survive somewhere else.

I disagree. I think there's essentially three 'factions' in Attack on Titan: Humans, mindless titans, and advanced humans/titans. Part of the reason is that I feel like the technology to create a titan is highly advanced, and that the walled city has technologically regressed to their current state. A civilization doesn't need to be walled if they can defend it with Titans, after all.

The only reason the advanced humans/titans want to interfere with the walled city is because of Eren's dad. I think the three titans sent were supposed to infiltrate and discover his dad, because he either has technology or some secret about their existence. Of course, that doesn't explain why they want nothing to do with the humans, or why there would be a third faction in the first place, but the only other explanation is that they're in league with the mindless titans. Given annies suicidal scream, I think the titans hate them more than regular humans. Hell, they might be hiding because they're the cause of the titans in the first place and expect retribution from the humans if it ever came to light.

Not that they can leave the city anyways. Or maybe they're stuck in the city, and are simply hidden well?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

ETB posted:

It was the one sent to me. I didn't realize there was a higher quality version!

No worries. The one you linked had the niconico ID in the description. I Google'd it to find the higher quality version. The original on niconico has 1.2 million views!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

User0015 posted:

I disagree. I think there's essentially three 'factions' in Attack on Titan: Humans, mindless titans, and advanced humans/titans. Part of the reason is that I feel like the technology to create a titan is highly advanced, and that the walled city has technologically regressed to their current state. A civilization doesn't need to be walled if they can defend it with Titans, after all.

Also, in the ending credits there are clearly two groups of humans riding different coloured horses facing off against each other in the murals. It makes more sense to me that the colossal and armoured titans, and Annie of course, don't originate from inside the walls but belong to a second faction based [somewhere else] and are attacking the civilization left within the walls for [reasons]. 'Course, after this episode I'll be picking up the Manga where it left off so any unanswered questions left by the series finale will hopefully be addressed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I agree that the central conflict is man versus man, but I'm not convinced that the goal of the human-titans is to destroy the walls. The strongest evidence for that is that the walls still exist. Annie can drop in and out of titan form at will, there is nothing, nothing, that can stop the armored titan from suddenly materialising and breaking both gates. So they have some wider political goals that don't end in pure nihilism.

And who says that all the human-titans are on the same side? Annie isn't on the same side as Eren's dad who isn't on the same side as the Armoured/Colossal titans. As for how it all pans out I have no idea.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
With all the spinning Levi does when using 3DMG surely he would have developed acute motion sickness by now.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Fatkraken posted:

Also, in the ending credits there are clearly two groups of humans riding different coloured horses facing off against each other in the murals. It makes more sense to me that the colossal and armoured titans, and Annie of course, don't originate from inside the walls but belong to a second faction based [somewhere else] and are attacking the civilization left within the walls for [reasons]. 'Course, after this episode I'll be picking up the Manga where it left off so any unanswered questions left by the series finale will hopefully be addressed.

After the finale, pick up the manga at the beginning rather than where it left off. It's really interesting to go back and read it with new perspective, such as knowing that Annie is the female titan. It's so heavily foreshadowed you'll wonder how we didn't suspect her from her initial appearance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Khagan posted:

With all the spinning Levi does when using 3DMG surely he would have developed acute motion sickness by now.

That is his superpower.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Looks like Crunchyroll is putting the final ep up 3 hours earlier than usual.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Looks like Crunchyroll is putting the final ep up 3 hours earlier than usual.

Probably has to do with the finale being shown in theater in Japan a couple of hours earlier than usual.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Make sure you watch till the last second, because there's a loving titan face in the wall. I was not expecting that.

An amazing season ending to this wild ride. I'm super siked to see where this ride goes next season. Have they already announced when season 2 is running? (I assume next summer/fall at the earliest)

Thoughts:
1) Woah, looks like Annie has some daddy issues just like Eren. It sounded like he had some kind of plan and he wanted Annie to carry it out, and it also sounded like it was something that humanity wouldn't like at all. But how are they going to explore that angle further if she's trapped in a giant crystal?

2) I feel like the animation was a bit different this episode. Did anyone else get the same impression? Aside from that it was still absurdly amazing, even better than last episode imo.

3) drat, Eren. You know you have too much burning spirit when it's set your whole body ablaze.

3.5) The gently caress am I talking about? There's never too much burning spirit. TTGL, QED.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The Titan battle was way better than the manga, but that post-credits sting was a wet fart

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly cannot believe they relegated one of the major 'holy loving poo poo' moment in the manga to a post credits gotcha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you haven't watched the episode yet and plan on going to the manga after this(not a spoiler, but a suggestion): stop watching once the credits start

"Wet fart" really describes well how badly they hosed that up. Jesus. One of the most intense moments in the manga relegated to a loving stinger after everything is said and done.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ViggyNash posted:

2) I feel like the animation was a bit different this episode. Did anyone else get the same impression? Aside from that it was still absurdly amazing, even better than last episode imo.

This has been asked here and elsewhere for every episode since Smile. Elements of the animation have definitely changed, but they also haven't had a single scene where it felt like "TODO: DRAW SCENE WITH ANNIE KILLING TITAN" so it seems okay to me. There weren't any bizarre Fist of the North Star kind of facial distortions this episode, at least. The inconsistency only seems to happen with certain scenes, too. I think maybe they've been tossing some scenes to someone cheap but productive, where quality control is a little less important.

And yeah, about the "wet fart" tease after the credits. Not what I was expecting them to do. But maybe some people will like it? I think we just got ourselves pumped up about that in the manga thread too much.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 28, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Holy loving poo poo dudes, this is what they were buying time for with all those recaps.

oooooooooooh my god. That was insane. I have to start the manga now.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think we should all, as regular viewers of anime, have already learned the core "last episode" lesson of always watching that season finale to the bitter end. I rather thought the very last scene was perfect. I'm also glad the season is over. I've been terrified I'd post something in the Anime thread regarding the current events in the Manga. Even if I spoilered the topic, it's be months ahead of the anime.

I'm guessing a lot of you will begin reading the manga now. Unfortunately, it only comes out once a month, usually around the 5th or so. Fortunately, that's next week. If you push yourselves over this next week, you can probably catch up. See you in the manga thread....

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so uh

what the gently caress was that at the end

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Thumbtacks posted:

so uh

what the gently caress was that at the end

Time to read the manga, or wait a year or two for season 2. Have fun!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I should probably read the manga, yeah. Not sure where to get it, though.

Also I have a theory based on what this episode shows but I'm almost positive I'm wrong.

] so judging by the last scene plus what we saw with the spill screens (that's what those are called, right?) it sounds like it's almost like a weird cycle. there was a gap between the wall that existed and one in the ground, so maybe the titans in the walls fight the humans until the humans are extinct and then they're repopulated and the next wall springs up. it would explain some weird things about the walls+the wall cult (they can't be a recent build, because someone talks about the wall cult as "becoming popular again", and people don't usually talk like that if it's a recent event) Maybe if humanity wins, the walls go away or something. Like they're being groomed for greatness.

it's like the matrix. wonder who the architect is.

or possibly the was anime-only filler flavor text and i'm super wrong

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 28, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Huh, the arc sure ended in a shonen as heck way.

With all the arguments about how this is a show where guts and willpower isn't enough, Eren won by.....willpower. Okay. At least the fight looked rather nice! I was really underwhelmed by it all though. Not really a fan of how all their plans for capturing the female titan kept going wrong because Annie kept pulling out new powers, even at the very end.

Iunno my interest just really waned in this arc. They brought up the basement a bunch of times but zero progress was made. The female titan stuff just dragged on and on due to excessive recapping followed by characters talking about things covered in the recap. That time could have been better spent elsewhere (for example this is a wacky, crazy idea, but maybe actually working on character development??? The people that died earlier in the arc might as well have been red shirts). It's frustrating to me since there were moments of brilliance (The first time Eren fought Annie was handled quite well!) sandwiched between sloppy pacing. I mean the female titan stuff could easily have been handled in about half as many episodes and nothing would be lost. At the end of the day I'm still undecided if I'll watch a second season. The show had a lot of high points and a lot of low points and it made for a very uneven viewing experience. Not sure if I'd be up for another round of that or not.

Oh and the "twist" at the end felt like the twist at the end of a cheap horror movie. At least the show ended with me laughing my rear end off I guess.

I mean seriously, "the walls have titans in them oh nooooooo" is the sort of twist and the end I'd expect if this show were a Goosebumps book

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 28, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Pretty good episode. They can really ramp up the animation for the fight scenes. Now to wait a year or two for season 2. I don't expect this will be too hard on me, I'm patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Crossposting from the Genshiken thread:

• Locked thread