Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Red Herring posted:

:frogsiren:OAT COMPRETE:frogsiren:

I also credited you with a themed group.

Slimnoid posted:

So! This month I aimed for the Detektuv's Jurnal: Freehand and Double the Fun! bonuses; I went for last month's Jurnal (Weathering) for Double the Fun.

You already did Double the Fun with this oath, although maybe you didn't realize since I credited it to you (parts list + backstory + the month's theme).

thespaceinvader posted:

Do I need to quote my original completion pic or anything?

I'll have some less... dark... pics of both my minis for this month up once the battery's charged on the camera.

Yes, I need your Oath Complete to contain all of the stuff you oathed and completed this month. Please either post a new Oath Complete post with everything, or, go back and edit this post (and let me know when you have done so). I only have one field in the spreadsheet and I prefer to just paste one link into it to make krushgroove's job easier when he's putting together the slideshow for the judges.

KingMob posted:

No Jurnal for me.
OK, no worries.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

drat, I misread the Themed Group requirements. I don't have a fifth model, unfortunately. And no, I didn't freehand on any of these guys. I can just try the Themed Group next month I suppose!
OK, no worries. Yeah, there's always next month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Planning ahead for next month. Does speed painting have to be your entire oath in 24 hours? Can you accomplish the speed paint, and then do an oath addition for doing over the course of the month?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Leperflesh posted:

You already did Double the Fun with this oath, although maybe you didn't realize since I credited it to you (parts list + backstory + the month's theme).

Nope, had no idea. I should probably check the sheet more often :v:

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE!

Detektuv's Jurnal
Tried my hand at getting snowflakes to show in Vayl's cloak. I just cannot get the hang of freehand but I suppose it didn't turn out too badly. They sort of resemble snowflakes from a distance.

Themed Group

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I didn't paint for about 10 days between finishing my oath and today. I wasn't sure I'd have time to oath something new and paint it, so I just didn't start anything. This is seriously what it must feel like to quit smoking, it's absolutely maddening.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Planning ahead for next month. Does speed painting have to be your entire oath in 24 hours? Can you accomplish the speed paint, and then do an oath addition for doing over the course of the month?

Speaking from experience, it only has to be a part of your oath. Declare your oath as you would normally, take a timestamp picture of the models you're speed painting before you start and then another when you're finished. Carry on with the rest of your oath in your own time :)

That's right isn't it judges?

Come on next month, hurry up and get here, I got me some stuff to paint!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, I'm planning to do Cut and Swap some time, so I figure I may as well get it when I get it, and pick up this month's theme with an additional.

On which note, muthafukkin speedpainting beeyatch. :siren:Oath Complete: 1 Damien, Hellborn Wizard, by Reaper Bones:siren:

Claiming Cut and Swap for the base swap and speedpainting for the... having finished. Now. Approximately 6 hours after I started.

I'll pick a mini or two and do an additional oath to get this month's theme, which does sound fun. Now, which of my bones can I do lots of nice freehand on? I mean, there's actually a tonne of room on this one, and some of the example minis on Reaper's site have some neat freehand, but I'm not going to try to do both freehand and speedpainting in one go... E: I'm thinking about doing one of the other Bones wizards that has a big scroll for my second oath this month. I'll have a look at my haul and see. Plus, I may well add a giant or a demon if I'm feeling brave stupid.

thespaceinvader posted:

:frogsiren:Additional oath complete:frogsiren:
Claiming: detektiv's jurnal (freehand) for the scroll, front and back, and box art (c.f. reaper's version: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/galladon/latest/77054#detail/77054_p_1_mj) - mine's not as good and a bit bluer, but I think it'll do the trick.

Do I need to quote my original completion pic or anything?

I'll have some less... dark... pics of both my minis for this month up once the battery's charged on the camera.

Leperflesh: that OK?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Here's a closeup of the freehanded tattoos.

Claiming Detective's Journal and Themed group

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Speaking from experience, it only has to be a part of your oath. Declare your oath as you would normally, take a timestamp picture of the models you're speed painting before you start and then another when you're finished. Carry on with the rest of your oath in your own time :)

That's right isn't it judges?

Come on next month, hurry up and get here, I got me some stuff to paint!

Yeah this is right, just one model is needed to qualify for the Speed Painting bonus.

:siren: October is going to be Amnesty Month! :siren:
...just like it has been in the past because of Sole.sushi's birthday - it's my birthday month, too, so we're doing the same thing again! This means you can oath part-painted models that you didn't complete previously, or whatever, and you get points as if you'd oathed single-color models.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Yeah this is right, just one model is needed to qualify for the Speed Painting bonus.

...just like it has been in the past because of Sole.sushi's birthday - it's my birthday month, too, so we're doing the same thing again! This means you can oath part-painted models that you didn't complete previously, or whatever, and you get points as if you'd oathed single-color models.

Oh HELL YES, I will finally finish my Mammoth! :dance:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Oath Complete

Theres a bit of shine on the Warjack as Ive not had a chance to dullcote it yet. Dont hate...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oath Complete!

Taking notes on how to do better photography for next month.

I'm claiming Themed Group for the Klingon squadron, and the Journal for the weather effects and markings on the fighter tokens.

The cloud effects were easier than I thought they would be.

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
:siren:Oath Completer:siren:

3 x Space Marine Bikes

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
:frogsiren:Oath Complete:frogsiren:

The Journal is the chest emblem. Originally there was a sculpted Tau emblem there but I filed it down, smoothed it out with greenstuff and painted the heretic seditionist Farsight emblem there instead.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Well this was an exercise in frustration but I learned a lot. Next month it's going to be better.

Imazul fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 30, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some better pics of this month's minis:

I've still not quite nailed down my camera settings, though this is a LOT better than it used to be. Really shows the flaws too D:

I'm pretty chuffed with the tiefling, though, particularly for a 6-hour speedpaint run. Only one major error really sticks out to me, though there is some rough stuff in there.

Need to find the right manual white balance settings for the camera, and look at fiddling with exposure lengths too.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

...just like it has been in the past because of Sole.sushi's birthday - it's my birthday month, too, so we're doing the same thing again!

All the cool kids are born in October, 'sup October birthday buddy :cool:

Quick question, is there any way I can paint a gaming table as part of any terrain etc. based points challenge? Off the top of my head, I'm sure there isn't a table category, just diorama and army showcase thingy. Just curious :)

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OATH IS COMPLETE:catdrugs:

Here's a counts-as Draigo for my Grey Knights. He's finecast, which prompted the conversion since the casting job on his sword arm was horribly hosed up (didn't see it in the blister despite an inspection). Several other small flaws made me decide to just ding him up a bit and make a few dents in his armor. I had the halberd part spare from some deathwing knights I'm making up, so I thought it would make a nice different look for him since he has a special sword in the rules anyway. I'm sure some of you will recognize the helmet part. Hopefully the smoldering skeleton on the base works, that was a bit of an experiment. The steel wool smoke can go away if I decide I don't like it.

Here are the 40k objectives I added, on square bases to pick them out and because I have tons sitting around. Clockwise from top left: mysterious bloody lump on pedestal, mysterious glyph & ork skull, mysterious relic thingy (seriously I don't even know where it came from), jenga pile of choppas, mysterious book & dagger, and a very un-mysterious imperial crate of blandness. The front three represent the jurnal element, having some little freehand bits on them. I went to extra lengths to weather these up so I'm claiming double the fun! because of the theme last month! Also, since they are objective markers, I'm claiming up I Rolled A 6!...Or A 20...Or Maybe An 01. If that's all legit, of course.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 29, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Drones

Suits

Drone Controler

Plasma Rifles

Detectiv's Journal

These are numbers in Tau. Like a barcode, or the numbers on a school bus. Who knows, it's alien. I thought about spelling out goony things but really it doesn't matter.

Recording 40k oath, Themed Group, Detectiv's Journal, uhh... I guess that's it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

All the cool kids are born in October, 'sup October birthday buddy :cool:

Quick question, is there any way I can paint a gaming table as part of any terrain etc. based points challenge? Off the top of my head, I'm sure there isn't a table category, just diorama and army showcase thingy. Just curious :)

Whoop whoop! October representin'! (also, anyone who's followed the Oath Thread for the past year or two will already know what the October Detektuv's Jurnal will be, but don't get started yet! you still have to timestamp your stuff!)

I know someone asked a while back about painting a table, I don't think we have a category it could easily fit into...does anyone know who that was so I can see what was said in response?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Any hints about October for those of us who weren't oathing last year, so we can at least start thinking of ideas?

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
September Oath Complete!

"I's been ridin 'dis bike for DAYS, me leg's is cramped, so zog off!"

"Dem Humies got some flash trousers, good job they 'ad me size!"

"One previous owner, not in very good condition, hur hurr!"

So I'm claiming the Detektive's Jurnal for the heming and seams on his jeans, and also for the wild beast hide on the bike saddle. Does this satisfy you level of work for this category?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Haydrian posted:

"One previous owner, not in very good condition, hur hurr!"

...Does this satisfy you level of work for this category?

This satisfies everything in my book.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:frogsiren:OATH COMPLETE:frogsiren:

I probably overextended myself this month because of a nasty test and assignment schedule this month, so I had to take some shortcuts and just didn't have the time these models deserved. Either way, I'm going to consider it a positive experience because I learned a few things, like

1) I still need to work on how I do power armor, flat spaces are hard.

2) Using orange and brown ink to start "bony" parts actually makes them pop pretty well from farther away if I can make the lines neat.

3) I accidentally wet blended an eye, yay!

4) Streaky white for old armor is probably not the best approach, but the orange with silver lines to a show rusty, used look works pretty well. Orange in general was more useful than I expected for the whole project.

5) First time using corkboard for fake base rocks. More meticulous than I expected but it's good practice.

DETECTIVE'S JOURNAL, the octopus eye and blood vessels on soul edge the demon weapon.

I don't actually have any models to oath for next month because all the other troops have some red on their weapons from an aborted attempt to assembly-line paint them. I might try to split a Dark Vengeance box so I can get some cultists and that nice Helbrute model (I know he sucks in game but that's not the point).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Welcome back to the stage of history.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

There's been too many excellent models posted on this page, so it's time to lower the bar!

Oath Complete

I painted a standard bearer too, so I think that qualifies me to Fly Your Flag

For my detective's journal I've got the less-lovely scrollwork that I freehanded on the leader

Now to just figure out what to paint for October. It won't be a unit.

Also here's a shot of the whole family

Korwen fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 30, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Those are some good-lookin Praetorians, fellow Tyrant. Nice work :thumbsup:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Oath Complete - claiming my Awwww, it's a baby! I suppose.

Didn't have time to build a light box this month, so hopefully next time I can do that.

Bases are done-ish. I want to pick up some tundra tufts when next I can get out the shop that stocks them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Themed Group

Five Blood Bowl Zombies (the team colours are purple and gold).

Free hand

One Reaper Devil Dude. (I tried to channel my inner Bachtere for this model. It's nowhere as good as his stuff, but it was enjoyable making a departure from my normal colour pallette.

Infinity Model

One Ariadna Dog Soldier.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 30, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete

For this month's Jurnel, I free-handed the flower on the back of Misaki's pants leg.

This is also a themed group.

And I'm glad I oathed this, because I'd otherwise have given up on them weeks ago.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Magnus and his battlegroup are a Themed Group. The freehand on the chainsaws and the dials on the boilers is for this months jurnal.

The base on the Galleon is my Get Based Out entry.

I have complied with last month's requests by documenting how to make not only the water base, but also the entire galleon in this post right here.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
OATH COMPLETE

Themed Group

Infinity Model

Detektuv's Jurnal

He keeps sticking these posters up everywhere, no one knows why...

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oath Complete

I'm so glad I thought it was going to be a busy month, because I only found time for this yesterday... yikes.

Detektuv's Jurnal is the additional veins on the head and the ridging on the totally-not-from-alien tongue/mouth thing.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Oh man, Why I gotta follow all this other amazing poo poo this month. Makes me so self conscious. Here goes!

OATH COMPLETE Claiming Jurnal and entering Themed Group

Wanted to do a spider on the back of the Exarch and make kind of a crazy eldar advance technology thing.

Took one more here to show off my hubris. Thanks for all the nice comments on my Wave Serpent last month, decided to try the same thing with the black/gray and the lightning of the khaki/bone instead of white. Hope some of the harder contrasts came through like the Wave Serpent.

Special thanks to Booley, who inspired me to get a drat camera and some lamps and a tripod to do this month.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 30, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Red Shoe posted:

The base on the Galleon is my Get Based Out entry.

"Initiating launch operations: Gypsy Danger"

So cool, I didn't even know they had this model. Great job!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't actually have any models to oath for next month because all the other troops have some red on their weapons from an aborted attempt to assembly-line paint them.

It's a good job next month is amnesty month then.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Oath complete!

Jurnal: My shot at an Adeptus Arbites symbol.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath Complete!

Journal is the checks on the sides of the kannon barrel thingie

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

Here was a conversation I had with my friend L_____ earlier this month:

:v: I dunno, I'm in kind of in a creative rut with this lady dragonslayer I'm supposed to paint...I'm just not feeling it, y'know?
:j: Make it girly!
:v: Girly?! It's already a woman, and anyway I wait a minute that's GENIUS

(I apologize for the incredibly terrible quality of the pics this month. Again. I promise it looks better in person. Apart from the mold lines that only showed up after I put on my basecoat, of course.)

In addition to the Detektuv's Jurnal: Freehand (daisies on the back of the cape), I'd like to claim the one-time Parts List bonus:

Vallejo Products
Surface Primer (Black, White and Grey)
Vallejo Model Color (VMC) 70.995 German Grey
VMC 70958 Pink
VMC 70808 Blue Green

Army Painter Products
Angel Green
Ash Grey

Howard Hues Products (Note: These paints suck, don't use them)
Fair Maiden

Reaper Paints
Master Series 09255 Black Wash
09024 Amethyst Purple

Privateer Press Paints
Moldy Ochre
Sulfuric Yellow
Menoth White Highlight
Beaten Purple
'Jack Bone
Gun Corps Brown
Ryn Flesh
Khador Red Highlight
Cygnar Blue Base
Necrotite Green

Citadel Products
Skull White
Chaos Black
Mephiston Red
Blood Red
Sunburst Yellow
Averland Sunset
Boltgun Metal
Mithril Silver
Shining Gold
Warlock Purple
Goblin Green
Calthan Brown
Sotek Green
Enchanted Blue
Reikland Fleshshade Wash
Biel-Tan Green Wash
Drakenhof Nightshade Wash
Leviathan Purple Wash
Blackfire Earth Texture Paint
Scorched Grass Static Grass

Miscellaneous
Krazy Glue All-Purpose Brush-On Formula

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Deanut Pancer posted:

Any hints about October for those of us who weren't oathing last year, so we can at least start thinking of ideas?

http://nbcam.org/

• Locked thread