Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Agrikk posted:

It would be totally awesome if that big old son of a bitch was running NetWare. Just because.

Also those DL380 servers were great boxes. We had a poo poo load of them and they ran like champions until we did a hardware upgrade. I ended up snagging a bunch of them and shipping a few of those out to the Goonfleet guys where I think they ended up powering the forums there and other infrastructure for a while.

Linked for size.

You kids and your fancy new post-HP-buyout DL380s. :colbert:

The web hosting company I used to work for had tons of these old Compaqs. To this day, some of their critical internal infrastructure still lives on them. To be fair, they are goddamn tanks; I once dropped one (gently caress Compaq rails forever) and it landed hard enough to bend the front faceplace (which is like a quarter-inch thick slab of solid steel), and after picking it up and plugging it back in, it still worked just fine.

That same company also, to this day, still has customers paying $50 and up for shared hosting accounts which are hosted on these ancient HP LPrs, running BSDi (yes, BSDi) 3.5 or some poo poo:

That company had all sorts of crazy hardware. They were too cheap to pay for any new hardware unless there was no possible way around it, so our provisioning room was a museum of server hardware from days gone by. They'd buy other hosting companies left and right and literally haul their systems to our data center and stand them up as-is rather than converting the customers to a single platform (since that would require buying hardware, and damned if that was going to happen when the company they just bought out already has all this stuff sitting around).

While we did retire platforms now and then, there were times when we were maintaining well over a dozen separate hosting platforms at once, all of which were on completely unique hardware and software platforms. At one point in time, we were responsible for managing customer-facing hosting systems running on three generations of Windows, several flavors of Linux, multiple versions of SunOS and Solaris, FreeBSD, BSDi, and Irix all at once. When they bought a company, they'd boot most of the acquired company's employees (and the rest would usually see the writing on the wall and bail within weeks), so we'd have to take over managing their systems, usually with little or no documentation or training. There were times when we first learned that we owned yet another new hosting platform when a tier one tech support guy called us about an issue with it. Expertise among us sysadmins was determined by lottery; whoever got assigned the first incoming support ticket or call about a new system (or an old system whose previous "owner" left) became the expert on that system forevermore, regardless of whether they actually knew anything about the platform or even the OS.

From what I understand, despite some major consolidation projects in the later years I was there, the place is just as crazy as always thanks to several more acquisitions. Apparently, in addition to a ton of newly inherited hardware and hosting platforms, they now have about a dozen separate CRM systems (several of which directly execute hosting account provisioning tasks through completely different middleware systems), none of which can talk to each other at all. :psyduck:

Edit: I think my favorite system of the many we inherited was the customer email hosting platform which consisted of custom POP3 and SMTP server applications written in Java running on ancient Solaris servers, which stored emails (including attachments) as data in an Oracle database and never deleted them (it would just set a flag on the email message in the database when the customer deleted it). Oh yeah, and the webmail interface was a ColdFusion application running on a Windows 2000 server. The system was still in use as of about a year ago, and as far as I know it's still running today. :cripes:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ahh, a 1st gen Compaq DL380.

My first experience of ever building a server rack consisted of four of those and eight external disk enclosures. It was made particularly fun that someone had come in before us, unboxed everything into a pile and thrown out all the boxes and instructions. Both me and the dude who'd been assigned to the job with me had never actually done rack stuff before, and had no idea which type of rail went on what other than by counting them and matching them to the number of boxes of that type we had.

Fortunately the guy I was working with, I'd gone to school with him, and college, worked on more than a few projects together and generally worked really well with, so we got that thing built and it worked really well. Lasted until after I'd left the company and then some joker decided that moving the server room to another building was a great idea and couldn't possibly go wrong.

That setup was a thing of beauty, apart from the fact that someone installed Lotus Notes on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shortly before I started at my old job, my boss had ripped three Qubes and a few RaQs out of the server room. Would have been mid 2010. And yeah they were still hosting poo poo that clients were paying way too much money for.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Galler posted:

Clothing can serve other purposes besides just covering body parts up. :pervert:

I like my presents wrapped. :v:

Back in 2001 I got to rebuild a whole server room from scratch. So much DL360 and DL380 goodness. Also a Citrix Metaframe farm with 60 concurrent users on two DL380s.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Well this is a weird one. I have a user who was on Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange 2003 (SBS2003 server, scheduled to be replaced in the next 6-12 months), last week we upgraded him to Office 2010. Now in Outlook when he selects the public folders he sees another copy of his mailbox instead of the public folders. Searching around I don't find anything about why this would happen, I am guessing and thinking a weird permission issue but it worked fine in Outlook 2007 and earlier.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

tehloki posted:

The dark switch is dead but load-bearing

Should be the new thread title.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Varkk posted:

Well this is a weird one. I have a user who was on Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange 2003 (SBS2003 server, scheduled to be replaced in the next 6-12 months), last week we upgraded him to Office 2010. Now in Outlook when he selects the public folders he sees another copy of his mailbox instead of the public folders. Searching around I don't find anything about why this would happen, I am guessing and thinking a weird permission issue but it worked fine in Outlook 2007 and earlier.

Is this in cached mode?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

idiot client trying to leave our services posted:

Hi teethgrinder ! This Saturday I moved company.net zone, I need ip addresses for ns1.company.net and ns2.company.net so I can redirect name resolution for domains or services that still use your name servers for now , just in case. Can you please give me this IP addresses ? Thanks

...am I missing something obvious or is this as stupid as it sounds?

edit: to be clear...does he not know how to ping it? Or use a look-up tool? Or look with the full Webmin access to the servers he has? How can he understand how to transfer BIND services, yet not resolve a domain?

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 30, 2013

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

...am I missing something obvious or is this as stupid as it sounds?
Is he using a new registrar but still has some of his DNS records hosted on your system? He might need the IPs for glue.

Or I'm missing something too.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Maybe he wants to search for static assignments to those DNS servehahahahaha no this is just a stupid request he could have done himself.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

To be "fair" this has been the slowest effing migration imaginable.

Some ridiculous background ... I used to work for company.net. My existing company hired me away from there (YOTJ!) ... my existing company still provides hosting services for them. I handle all their technical support under a pseudonym.

This guy emailing me is the IT contractor they hired when I quit, instead of getting someone full-time. He's slowly migrating all of their hosting over to his own company's. Supposedly he runs a datacentre. :munch:

edit: It's also CC'd to the executives, on Sunday, so I guess he wants to show he's working on it and only my slow response is preventing him from finishing it.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 30, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In DNS is it possible to create a CNAME for like http://192.168.0.100:8280/folder/folder to point to test.company.com ?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

GreenNight posted:

In DNS is it possible to create a CNAME for like http://192.168.0.100:8280/folder/folder to point to test.company.com ?

CNAMEs only map DNS names to other DNS names, not URLs. You need to set up the webserver on 192.168.0.100:8280 to redirect to that URL.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SamDabbers posted:

CNAMEs only map DNS names to other DNS names, not URLs. You need to set up the webserver on 192.168.0.100:8280 to redirect to that URL.

It's an AS400 system. Lovely. We've purchased a software package that allows users to connect via a web page instead of a terminal client.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

It's an AS400 system. Lovely. We've purchased a software package that allows users to connect via a web page instead of a terminal client.

Make a simple html/javascript page that redirects to site.blabla/one/two and put it on site.blabla/ ?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Crowley posted:

Make a simple html/javascript page that redirects to site.blabla/one/two and put it on site.blabla/ ?

Yeah that's one way of going about it. I think the plan is to enable the web server features of the AS400 regardless, this just pushes up that plan.

A week ago I mentioned a user who dropped a speaker on his laptop. Here is that laptop:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
A verbal ticket came in from the 2nd head of department (Not IT, we are part of a bigger one):
"There's Ás all over my pc on boot and other fragments, I think it has a virus. Here's my HDD, scan it please."
Well, nothing on there, filesystem also reads fine. Can you show me the Laptop?
So he brings it in a day later, and the symptoms are all there, graphic glitches on most images, Á all over the place and other text fragmenting. Told him to trash the age old Dell, nothing we can do about it after a memtest.

I hate when people don't show you the problem, especially such a generic one, instead they ask you to blindly follow up on their diagnosis.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

A week ago I mentioned a user who dropped a speaker on his laptop. Here is that laptop:

:v: "Does this mean you can't fix it?"

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.
A return came in. Three UPS return labels on one box. Why would someone do this?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Content:
Was a fun morning this morning. Came into work and two more small consumer switches fried. I'm sure ill be replacing a few cables as time goes on today. The client is finally taking some advice that I relayed from a few goons in the thread and getting someone in to check for power bleed in the network.

YOTJ:

Interview tomorrow. :yotj: Job is very similar to what I do now, end user support, with server admin roles is the bulk of the job. There are a couple of things I don't have much experience with but I am willing to learn. SQL and webserver maintenance, which shouldn't be bad unless something breaks and support for Auto-Cad which I've never dealt with before. Its for an engineering company that is literally a 30 minute walk from home as well. There is on-call but that is a staple of IT so I'm not surprised. Just researching now for the most annoying part of the interview "How much do you want to make"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

:v: "Does this mean you can't fix it?"

We have accidental damage on our laptops through HP. We know how terrible those motherfuckers treat anything that they didn't personally buy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GreenNight posted:

We have accidental damage on our laptops through HP. We know how terrible those motherfuckers treat anything that they didn't personally buy.

They usually treat things they buy like poo poo too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

Interview tomorrow. :yotj: Job is very similar to what I do now, end user support, with server admin roles is the bulk of the job. There are a couple of things I don't have much experience with but I am willing to learn. SQL and webserver maintenance, which shouldn't be bad unless something breaks and support for Auto-Cad which I've never dealt with before. Its for an engineering company that is literally a 30 minute walk from home as well. There is on-call but that is a staple of IT so I'm not surprised. Just researching now for the most annoying part of the interview "How much do you want to make"

If they ask for references, link them to this thread. We'll give you glowing reviews. Just :frogout: as fast as possible!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If they ask for references, link them to this thread. We'll give you glowing reviews. Just :frogout: as fast as possible!

I'm not sure that would look good on a resume.

References

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in....

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

RadicalR posted:

I'm not sure that would look good on a resume.

References

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in....

Now now, I'm sure Dick Trauma would make a fine reference!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
"What would you say is your greatest weakness?"

"Uh..." [fumbles with phone] "Can you imagine the unrepentant ugliness of ladies' underwear designed to part in such a way to allow the wearer to piss without removing them"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A return came in. Three UPS return labels on one box. Why would someone do this?

Was it three of the same label, or three different RMAs?

Personally I'd never put multiple labels onto an RMA since manufacturers and their warranty shops are big on trying to invoice you for returned parts they lose track of..

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

An RFO came in from one of our clients:

quote:

We tracked down the device on that IP which was an XBox 360. Our best guess is the owner got somebody mad while playing an online game and they launched a DDoS attack on him. We've blocked his network access for the time being. Since that is a floating IP, it should be safe to clear the black hole so we don't interfere with the next person to get assigned that dynamic IP.

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
We have scripts that publish content regularly to some of our clients on hubspot, some of them stopped working recently. I reached out and received this response:

quote:

It looks like you all have migrated over to our newer COS blog. At this time the Blog API is only for the legacy blog platform and the COS blog does not yet have an API. The API is currently being built out and is going to be released in early 2014.

:negative:

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

coyo7e posted:

Was it three of the same label, or three different RMAs?

Personally I'd never put multiple labels onto an RMA since manufacturers and their warranty shops are big on trying to invoice you for returned parts they lose track of..

The user was shipped three boxes with three different return labels to ship back to my office.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Is this in cached mode?

Happens with cached mode on and off.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I work in a casual environment where jokes are appreciated. The server guy had old stuff that he no longer needed but never bothered to erase on his whiteboard, and he left it there so long that the dry-erase marker dried up. I took the red marker and made it into a flowchart and told him that his flowchart was broken. He immediately cleaned it off and enjoyed the joke.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Zodijackylite posted:

I work in a casual environment where jokes are appreciated. The server guy had old stuff that he no longer needed but never bothered to erase on his whiteboard, and he left it there so long that the dry-erase marker dried up. I took the red marker and made it into a flowchart and told him that his flowchart was broken. He immediately cleaned it off and enjoyed the joke.

Some take their whiteboard pranks really, really seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ML7jFV8NA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kensei posted:

An RFO came in from one of our clients:

Because taking that address out of the DHCP pool would be hard.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

18 Character Limit posted:

Some take their whiteboard pranks really, really seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ML7jFV8NA

I have to wonder if that buildup was worth the reaction shot they got out of it, given that the point where the video cuts off was probably "Welp, I can't get anything done today, have fun opening my office back up!"

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
https://medium.com/editors-picks/6d711818b86a

I feel like printing out 100s of copies of this in a crazy typewriter font and leaving them all over work, Unabomber Manifesto style.

Day 15 straight. No end in sight. I miss weekends.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Now now, I'm sure Dick Trauma would make a fine reference!

I can confirm that the applicant is a recent graduate of my "I.T. Muthafuckas Boot Camp" and is capable of making recommendations on most grain alcohols.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I can confirm that the applicant is a recent graduate of my "I.T. Muthafuckas Boot Camp" and is capable of making recommendations on most grain alcohols.

If When I get the job, I can confirm the purchase of a bottle of Glenmorangie for myself. I will figure out something for the thread for helping not go insane over the last few months.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 30, 2013

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

blackswordca posted:

If When I get the job, I can confirm the purchase of a bottle of Glenmorangie for myself. I will figure out something for the thread for helping not go insane over the last few months.

You know, I think if you set up some sort of donation site, just about everyone in this thread would kick in a dollar to help fund your well-deserved "Welp, looks like it's gently caress This poo poo O'Clock" bender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Ursine Asylum posted:

I have to wonder if that buildup was worth the reaction shot they got out of it, given that the point where the video cuts off was probably "Welp, I can't get anything done today, have fun opening my office back up!"

I dunno, I'd have fun just busting through the wall right there, since it's gotta go anyway.

• Locked thread