Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

quote:

A couple on my Facebook named their newborn daughter "Linelda", combining the names Link and Zelda
At least it wasn't Zink. That would just have been stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Semprini posted:

At least it wasn't Zink. That would just have been stupid.

That would have been a really metal name. :rimshot:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My new niece's middle name is Zelda but she gets some excuse for it by having a pair of German grandparents and a German surname.

(My brother in law is a MASSIVE Nintendo fan though, it was chosen exactly why you think it was)

vvv While I agree doesn't really belong in the terrible names thread, it fit in with the current line of conversation and I'm still pretty pumped up about becoming an uncle :)

VodeAndreas has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Sep 28, 2013

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

VodeAndreas posted:

My new niece's middle name is Zelda but she gets some excuse for it by having a pair of German grandparents and a German surname.

(My brother in law is a MASSIVE Nintendo fan though, it was chosen exactly why you think it was)

Eh, Zelda is at least a real name that existed before the games, and they had the good sense to make that her middle name to boot.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
A Chinese student I know who is actually a cool dude is named Mai Dong.

AmateurHuman
Mar 20, 2013

I was in the grocery store and this huge woman was telling for her kid down the aisle. "Come here, Chlamydia!"
:doh:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I know a guy named Richard Johnson III. For obvious reasons, he goes by Tres.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I work with a woman who's last name is Deathrage :black101:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Last names:

Raspberry
Appleberry
Stringfellow
Stufflebean

First names:
Jenious
Orion (pronounced or-ee-on instead of o-ry-on)
Presley
Jaysen
Zyme
Juawana

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

All this talk about naming kids after Zelda and Link reminds me that one of my friends was asked to name his baby brother. They named him Elric, after Full Metal Alchemist. At least that's a real name, so it could have been worse. I just can't help being reminded that she let her son name the baby after an anime character every time I see them.

And that reminds me of our African American student named "Kawaii."

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've always wondered if the Elric brothers were named after Elric of Melnibone.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

AmateurHuman posted:

I was in the grocery store and this huge woman was telling for her kid down the aisle. "Come here, Chlamydia!"
:doh:

No you loving didn't. Also, maybe read the first post.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Azrael Alexander posted:

I work with a woman who's last name is Deathrage :black101:

I work with a Deathrage too!

I once met a kid named Talon Savage. That's pretty :black101: as well.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

canyoneer posted:

My wife's best friend is about to be married to a Deatherage. Must be a popular name or something.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I encountered someone today with the name Nor East. I thought I'd misheard until he spelt it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
A colleague of mine gave her son the middle name Apollo. For the space program. I think it was #11, but I'm not really sure.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

A colleague of mine gave her son the middle name Apollo. For the space program. I think it was #11, but I'm not really sure.

That's not terrible as a middle name. If it was his first name all the kids would be calling him Polly, though.

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.
Thomas Youngblood is a metal guitarist with an appropriately metal name.

I'm friends with Jasper Q. and Zebulon Hornberger. No, the Q. does not stand for anything.

My second cousins named their kids Cole Miner and Trayler Tresh. :doh: They thought it was hilarious, but the rest of the family was none too happy.

I also knew a kid in elementary school by the name of Tractor Traylor.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
Weird but also fairly cool names (people I've met in North Carolina):

- Laracca Jones
- A woman named Lovie Factory
- A 90-year-old woman named Zylda Falco
- Zan'te
- Frog
- Some ghetto dude named Karon (pronounced "Kay-ron") (His mom called him "Bouchie". Dude was like 20 years old)
- Tanya Spiderman

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I once met a kid named Talon Savage. That's pretty :black101: as well.

One of my best friends growing up had the last name Slaughter. He ended up joining the army and eventually becoming Sgt. Slaughter. :black101:

Dogan posted:

- Some ghetto dude named Karon (pronounced "Kay-ron") (His mom called him "Bouchie". Dude was like 20 years old)

Are you sure she wasn't just calling him 'bougie'? It's a bastardized form of bourgeois and usually refers to those thought to be acting above their perceived social status.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Sep 30, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He needs to buy a house, pronto.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

A colleague of mine gave her son the middle name Apollo.

Isn't there some pickpocket named Apollo? Doesn't seem so bad to me, just weird.

One of my coworkers is married to a Pinky; they are expecting a baby, and we have joked about the child being named Thumb.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dogan posted:

Weird but also fairly cool names (people I've met in North Carolina):

Might have been named after the Styx ferryman, which would be pretty cool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Bringing this thread back from a few day's rest to report I just had a customer named Swamp Rat. Swamp being the first name and Rat being the last.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Guy missed his calling in life to become a urologist.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
A co-worker of mine went to a gynecologist named Dr. Poon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
A friend of mine has a satanist girlfriend who wants to name their child Lucifier :devil:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

"Cathy Glunt" is a pretty bad name, too.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was at a restaurant earlier, and caught a glance of their reservation screen. They were holding a table for a Dr. Rolf Barth.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

I was at a restaurant earlier, and caught a glance of their reservation screen. They were holding a table for a Dr. Rolf Barth.

??

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I hadn't even thought of that. I just thought it was funny because both his names sound like synonyms for puking. If his middle name was Hurley or something, it'd be even funnier.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bringmyfishback posted:

"Cathy Glunt" is a pretty bad name, too.
Sounds like a spoonerism.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dstyle posted:

A co-worker of mine went to a gynecologist named Dr. Poon.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dogan posted:

Hey, I knew a trans guy named Caron. It was a portmanteau of his mother's name, Carol, and his father's name, which I forget. He hated it and his mother. Probably not for that reason (she was insane and he was trans), but it couldn't have helped. So there are at least two in the world, even though his was intended to be a girl's name.

Johnny Segment
Feb 6, 2006

The audience are like ginger in my hands.
I'm sure this has already been posted:

http://jezebel.com/these-puritan-names-from-1888-are-the-best-worst-names-1322135371

For original content I have a friend who is a pediatrician and she's constantly trying to dissuade mothers from making awful mistakes.

Her best one? Pronounced Absidee

Spelt ABCDE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Johnny Segment posted:

http://jezebel.com/these-puritan-names-from-1888-are-the-best-worst-names-1322135371

For original content I have a friend who is a pediatrician and she's constantly trying to dissuade mothers from making awful mistakes.

Spelt ABCDE
No you don't and no she doesn't.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Johnny Segment posted:

Spelt ABCDE

Which is more upsetting- the inability to read, or the fact that you believe this to be original content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Segment
Feb 6, 2006

The audience are like ginger in my hands.
Well my inability to read is probably the main cause of my shame but I was told this one first hand so it's at least original to me.
Apologies, I shall slink off.