Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Yeah it looks like I may be able to cheat it this way. FOV 90 still looks a tiny bit fisheyed in the corners but it'll have to do I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
Looks fine to me. Then again, I only get sick from playing games with narrow FOVs and not from watching them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Quick question: I want to LP Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos, a visual novel. The problem is that there is only one episode is out right now, and it doesn't really make sense to create a thread devoted solely to one episode. Especially since this episode really leaves things hanging.
On the other hand, the game has words a-plenty and several ending, not to mention an incredible premise, plot, artwork and soundtrack. I discovered it a week ago, and I wanna show it off, since it seems like it got passed-over. I promise you, the plot is totally worth it. For such a small game, it is :suspense: as hell.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Hey people,

I'm planning on doing a text/screenshot LP of the game Robot Alchemic Drive and I want to make sure I'm not breaking forum rules with this, so I've got a test update here on the offsite tester:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15760

Please let me know if there's any red flags popping up there.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SSNeoman posted:

Quick question: I want to LP Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos, a visual novel. The problem is that there is only one episode is out right now, and it doesn't really make sense to create a thread devoted solely to one episode. Especially since this episode really leaves things hanging.
On the other hand, the game has words a-plenty and several ending, not to mention an incredible premise, plot, artwork and soundtrack. I discovered it a week ago, and I wanna show it off, since it seems like it got passed-over. I promise you, the plot is totally worth it. For such a small game, it is :suspense: as hell.

You forgot to ask the question. I'm going to presume it was going to be "What should I do?" because that's generic enough to fit your rambly premise, and I actually will bother to fit a question into my response: What's the state of future episodes? If they're dead in the water and the episode you have is all there will ever be, then it's up to you whether to make a thread or not. If there are more episodes coming, then I would recommend waiting if you want one thread for the whole VN - you're going to have to wait three months after each episode to LP it anyway, and the forum will probably still be here three months after the finale has been released. Or you can do a thread for each episode, close it when you're done, and wait. The decision that it doesn't make sense to devote a thread to an episode is yours - there's not enough information here to determine how you came to that conclusion.

If you're just trying to drum up interest for a game in progress, LP isn't the only way to do that. Make a thread for it in Games proper or something.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Spaceking posted:

Hey people,

I'm planning on doing a text/screenshot LP of the game Robot Alchemic Drive and I want to make sure I'm not breaking forum rules with this, so I've got a test update here on the offsite tester:

You mean to tell me you're not going to show off the amazing voice acting in this game? :colbert:

Seriously, though, I have to question whether it's a good idea to show this game in screenshot format. Video would probably be better, with especially empty bits trimmed out. You'd want probably want a blind co-commentator, too, because of how special this game is in presenting itself sometimes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Robot Alchemic Drive's voice acting was supposedly contracted out to a voice over company that typically only did work for work place instructional videos, which means the dialogue is downright magical.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I see. If I can make a thread for every episode, then I guess there's no problem. I'm gonna think about what to do; the episode ends on a cliff-hanger and transcribing a visual novel will be a pain.
Presenting all the episodes will probably allow for a more cohesive plot too.

I'll think about this some more.

As for drumming up interest, I guess that's part of the reason I want to do an LP. Maybe you're right, I should just make a thread about it in Games.

Thank you for the reply.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Explosionface posted:

You mean to tell me you're not going to show off the amazing voice acting in this game? :colbert:

Seriously, though, I have to question whether it's a good idea to show this game in screenshot format. Video would probably be better, with especially empty bits trimmed out. You'd want probably want a blind co-commentator, too, because of how special this game is in presenting itself sometimes.

I had planned to video the intro/outro parts for voice acting pleasure to make up for that. Might miss some juicy bits in-mission, but part of Lets Plays is encouraging people to play it for themselves, right? Besides, this game already has 4 video LPs on youtube alone.

I'd generally find writing to be a better format for creation, comedic in this case, wheras video is very improv-oriented. I can arrange screenshots and text to make something funnier in less time than editing a video, as well as generally more experience with that. Filming a mission multiple times to get some amusing events and the like due to the game's just buggy engine means overlaying them would make it seem choppy, wheras with screens I can easily arrange them to make it seem cohesive. As hilarious as the voice acting is, even you have to admit 20+ parts and the joke gets old. Interspersing a kind of MST3K snark over it might give some extra life that a video couldn't. That's my reasoning anyway.

I'm sure as hell going to record that reporter though. Goddamn that reporter is magical.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 29, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Robot Alchemic Drive's voice acting was supposedly contracted out to a voice over company that typically only did work for work place instructional videos, which means the dialogue is downright magical.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether it was intentionally bad or just incompetent but...this is a new one on me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Spaceking posted:

Hey people,

Didn't you already start an LP of this?

But that aside, your jokes didn't really strike me as funny for the most part. I mean what makes the reporter 'Tits McGee' and why do you need to intersperse snark in between almost every line? It makes the people nigh on unintelligible (which I'm assuming the game doesn't need help in doing). Also in the middle of the news cast section you suddenly have a portrait for a character we haven't met; is she the camera man? Is she in the studio? I don't know; it's not striking me.

Also it doesn't matter how many VLP's are up of it on Youtube; this is your presentation and it's up to you how to present it. But if the main draw is bad voice acting, you might want to show that off more.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Niggurath posted:

Didn't you already start an LP of this?

But that aside, your jokes didn't really strike me as funny for the most part. I mean what makes the reporter 'Tits McGee' and why do you need to intersperse snark in between almost every line? It makes the people nigh on unintelligible (which I'm assuming the game doesn't need help in doing). Also in the middle of the news cast section you suddenly have a portrait for a character we haven't met; is she the camera man? Is she in the studio? I don't know; it's not striking me.

Also it doesn't matter how many VLP's are up of it on Youtube; this is your presentation and it's up to you how to present it. But if the main draw is bad voice acting, you might want to show that off more.

Yeah, I was a idiot and didn't run it by this place first.

That portrait was meant to be the newscaster, that's just a typo. I do go over these things before posting them and make sure they're fixed up before proper posting them (first run aside); this was a rough draft. I'll admit, I was trying to squeeze probably more comedy than exists for this update (I was kinda iffy on the name joke as well, but again, draft), but I don't think its unintelligible. I've seen LPs in this style that are perfectly legible; I might just have to put less text in.

I don't think the voices are the main draw. They're hilarious to be sure, but alongside them are the batshit storyline, strange characters, odd controls and setting, bizzare actions and just the general WTF of the game. All of those can be conveyed in text & shots and explained better as well.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 29, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Spaceking, Tits McGee is as far from a 'typo' as you can get. You have to make the choice to do so, and, as one who knows a character who actually deserves the term, this newscaster isn't worth calling Tits McGee for a cheap laugh. A lot of the humour in this seemed forced. Remember, you don't need a gag for every shot or line. It just comes off as trying too hard if you do.

Also, I noticed 3d... does that mean you actually walk around? Well tell me about it, as a player, that's actually kind of important!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Spaceking posted:

this was a rough draft.

Rough draft not funny enough. Do over, do better. Be less defensive and explainy, apply critique and do better.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JamieTheD posted:

Also, I noticed 3d... does that mean you actually walk around? Well tell me about it, as a player, that's actually kind of important!
The game is still a glorified intro at this point, but yes, the player has control of running around a 3D city.
Putting off character controls FAQ much further can lead to a massive update consisting of nothing but control FAQ, after the titular Robot appears.
By the way, RAD has a certain degree of non-linearity. Which way's this LP heading when it comes to old friends and mass destruction?
I also remember reading that RAD was a part of a longer series of mecha games that started in Japan back in PS1 era. That could make some lovely background info.
Why not have a vote on the main character, since "their stories are virtually identical apart from some dialogue and plot elements"?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 29, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Hm, s'all good advice. I'll see how my recording software fares FPS-wise and whether it's a possible option since a lot of people seem to favor that. During the more intensive moments it seemed to drop immensely, but I'll play with the options and see if it'll hold up well enough to play. I haven't got much experience in video lets play but I'll give it a shot if I can make it work. If I can't make it feasible, I'll see if I can improve my writing and continue with the original approach. Otherwise, I guess someone else can take a shot at this game; it definitely needs to be played.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how I can improve and close the thread I have now.

SelenicMartian posted:

The game is still a glorified intro at this point, but yes, the player has control of running around a 3D city.
Putting off character controls FAQ much further can lead to a massive update consisting of nothing but control FAQ, after the titular Robot appears.
By the way, RAD has a certain degree of non-linearity. Which way's this LP heading when it comes to old friends and mass destruction?
I also remember reading that RAD was a part of a longer series of mecha games that started in Japan back in PS1 era. That could make some lovely background info.
Why not have a vote on the main character, since "their stories are virtually identical apart from some dialogue and plot elements"?

Yeah, I originally wanted to run through the first mission quickly, but it turned out longer than expected. Problem is the actual tutorials actually have spoilers in them, which is annoying. Not putting up a bio straight up was a bad move on my part, no excuses there. The better fix is to just explain things in the first post I guess.

I'll admit, choosing the character was selfish on my part. The other two seem more suited to the role of piloting a giant mech, so it just seemed odder to me to have the young girl doing it. Just seemed to make the situation more absurd. But I suppose if I'm making this for the community, would be a good idea to get their opinion.
Although that raises the issue of "how much clout do they bring?" There are certain goals in some missions that change how the game and certain characters react; protecting/destroying buildings and people can alter the story slightly, but a lot of them aren't really choices in the traditional sense. If they want me to protect a building but it keeps getting destroyed, do I keep replaying until I get it right or just forge ahead because that's just the way it went down? (yeah, this is another thing I should've brought up early rather than waiting till it arose. I didn't want the first update to just be all controls and exposition though.)

I don't recall if RAD had prior games. From my research, it seemed to be standalone, though with a vague connection to Earth Defence Force.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 29, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Spaceking posted:

I don't recall if RAD had prior games. From my research, it seemed to be standalone, though with a vague connection to Earth Defence Force.
Here's a GameSetWatch column on two predecessors in terms of control mechanics. RAD wasn't built RAD in a day, apparently.
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/12/column_robotochan_an_ode_to_sa_1.php

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's a GameSetWatch column on two predecessors in terms of control mechanics. RAD wasn't built RAD in a day, apparently.
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/12/column_robotochan_an_ode_to_sa_1.php

I'd heard of Remote Control Dandy but not the other one. They don't seem to have actual story-connections with RAD, but that control scheme is definitely familiar. Worth a mention for sure, thanks for the heads-up.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Spaceking posted:

protecting/destroying buildings and people can alter the story slightly, but a lot of them aren't really choices in the traditional sense. If they want me to protect a building but it keeps getting destroyed, do I keep replaying until I get it right or just forge ahead because that's just the way it went down?

That's really up to you as the LPer. Personally I find a mix works best - plan a rough progression, but if something contrary happens that's interesting or shows off a good mechanic then just roll with it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My biggest tip: Never force humor, as forced humor is never funny. Err to informative if you can't think of anything witty to say. Let your sense of humor pop up organically.

After a few updates, you'll eventually get the groove of things and be able to make more humorous updates without having to force it.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

unfair posted:

That's really up to you as the LPer. Personally I find a mix works best - plan a rough progression, but if something contrary happens that's interesting or shows off a good mechanic then just roll with it.

Its more like it adds up over time. If you do certain things, you can have really horrible stuff happen to people that basically ruins their lives.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
A question: I'm thinking about trying my hand at the freeware game Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. The game has been in development for a while and is currently chugging out a new release every month or two - would it fall under the three month rule or no, since it seems like it's going in the Dwarf Fortress direction of "it will never be completed".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Galick posted:

A question: I'm thinking about trying my hand at the freeware game Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. The game has been in development for a while and is currently chugging out a new release every month or two - would it fall under the three month rule or no, since it seems like it's going in the Dwarf Fortress direction of "it will never be completed".

The three-month rule is mainly meant to keep people from rushing to make the first LP of a game the minute it comes out, which obviously isn't a problem for this game. I'd PM a mod to be sure, but it should be fine.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Galick posted:

There was a Catacylsm: DDA LP attempt a while ago and it wasn't axed for violating the rule. I assume it's okay for that reason.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

The three-month rule is mainly meant to keep people from rushing to make the first LP of a game the minute it comes out, which obviously isn't a problem for this game. I'd PM a mod to be sure, but it should be fine.

That's a good thing. If we didn't, we'd have a flood of LPs the second a game came out. Other places that are okay with this will typically have about a dozen concurrent LPs (all of questionable quality just because they were rushed), and about 10 viewers who are actually interested in seeing any of them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

valkhorn posted:

That's a good thing. If we didn't, we'd have a flood of LPs the second a game came out. Other places that are okay with this will typically have about a dozen concurrent LPs (all of questionable quality just because they were rushed), and about 10 viewers who are actually interested in seeing any of them.

...yes? That's what I was saying? I'm not sure why you made this post?

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

...yes? That's what I was saying? I'm not sure why you made this post?

To agree and add my two cents?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I revised my videos based on feedback in this thread, and subtitled everything. Additionally, I have included a bonus video with the requested guitar cam, so let me know what you think, and if you have any further criticisms.

The OP, video list
Second Post, for content and game information
The first update, with content

Also, I'm using a different setup to render videos now (avsp + megui as opposed to vdubmod + handbrake) so the videos come out a lot smaller. The bonus of this is that they process faster to 1080p so full quality videos should be available

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Muuuuch better, Mephiston! One question I do have vis the FRAPs lag... You trying to record exactly 30 or 60 FPS with FRAPS? If so, I seem to recall they never got round to fixing that FRAPS actually doesn't like it. I record at 29.97 or 59.97, and for some arcane reason, that actually seemed to cut the lag a fair bit, although it still sometimes needs retakes when I'm recording emulated stuff. Either way, so long as you can catch the reason for that video lag, you're definitely go for thread content. As it is, you've got a passable set of vids, tech wise.

But you definitely nailed it on the subs. Show these scrubs what a fellow bassist can do! :D

EDIT: Ahh, wait, definitely got some desync thar, Mephiston. I got the general impression, but it's definitely desynced.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 30, 2013

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I have fraps set to record at 30fps usually. I did a test video a while back recording playing through a song, you can have a look at it right here. The lag and desync in that arent as noticable, and it was recorded a few days before my LP vids, which is what leads me to believe that it was the comp needing a restart. Well, that and the fact that it was actually lagging in game too for me.

Is the desync unbearable? or do you think the videos still work despite that?

I can set fraps to record at 29.97 as a test, i suppose.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Well, a whole quarter, maybe half a second lag in some sections might well be considered a bad thing, but if you think you've got a handle on it, just post a note for those first couplea vids that you had some audio desync, because it's not unbearable, just a bit jarring. As you say, the test vid barely has any at all, I think I only noticed two very small disconnects in the entire vid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mephiston posted:

I revised my videos based on feedback in this thread, and subtitled everything. Additionally, I have included a bonus video with the requested guitar cam, so let me know what you think, and if you have any further criticisms.

The OP, video list
Second Post, for content and game information
The first update, with content

Also, I'm using a different setup to render videos now (avsp + megui as opposed to vdubmod + handbrake) so the videos come out a lot smaller. The bonus of this is that they process faster to 1080p so full quality videos should be available

Wait a minute, there's guitar support for bass mode but no support for 6-string basses?

As a trained Jazz bassist, I am personally offended. :colbert:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'll be kind of upset if the thread isn't named in reference to the Bass-Fest episode of Tom Goes to The Mayor.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

So I'm planning to do a SSLP of the iOS game Layton Brothers Mystery Room.

Here's a test update: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15387

Please tell me how it looks and if there's anything wrong with it.

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013
I'm planning to do a video LP of a Resident Evil-like PC game. I've decided to do it in voice, solo and post-commentary to better exhibit the oddities and interesting things that would be hard to showcase via screenshots. I'm having a bit of a problem with the commentary though...

I've only ever dabbled in screenshot and subtitled LPs before, and because of that I'm producing what could very well be called a video screenshot LP. I can't seem to find a proper balance between being informative (my preferred style) and just shooting the poo poo, thus I end up with a 5-minute monologue on battle tactics spoken over 2-minutes of actual combat, and painfully fake, pre-written quips that make me sound like an aspiring video game reviewer from youtube.

Sadly, I don't have a suitable partner to team up with.

Could any of you successful people share some tips on how to do good post-commentary? Do you make lists of topics to mention or something like that?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

TheQkey posted:

I'm planning to do a video LP of a Resident Evil-like PC game. I've decided to do it in voice, solo and post-commentary to better exhibit the oddities and interesting things that would be hard to showcase via screenshots. I'm having a bit of a problem with the commentary though...

I've only ever dabbled in screenshot and subtitled LPs before, and because of that I'm producing what could very well be called a video screenshot LP. I can't seem to find a proper balance between being informative (my preferred style) and just shooting the poo poo, thus I end up with a 5-minute monologue on battle tactics spoken over 2-minutes of actual combat, and painfully fake, pre-written quips that make me sound like an aspiring video game reviewer from youtube.

Could any of you successful people share some tips on how to do good post-commentary? Do you make lists of topics to mention or something like that?

Please name this Resident Evil-like PC game, if just for me.

When I started RE6 I thought I'd write and rehearse topics of note but I didn't, it wasn't working out and I stopped after one sentence. I was so uninspiring that I asked people to vote on whether I should have continued with vocal commentary. I simply said things as they happened if they were new and unseen, explaining the mechanics in pseudo real-time. That's the best advice you can be given. Know the game to its fullest, give some detail on everything new, spread it out and you're golden.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TheQkey posted:

Keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with informative VLPs, provided they're interesting enough.

Don't be afraid to edit things that we've seen variants of, like combatting the same enemies, backtracking transit, etc. You don't have to go nuts, but if there's sections you're having trouble saying interesting things over... maybe they're just not interesting?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Since I finished Tomb Raider I've been wondering about how collectibles fit into LPs. I picked up every cache, journal and relic the game had to offer and don't really know if it added anything to the LP. The collectathon videos were the lowest viewed in the thread. By the end I was looking at almost a third of the views for the collectathons as with the story videos; that fraction even applies to the video I straight up said had a sequel hook in it. In the end I really wonder if charging out and getting every little scrap like that is worth it to the viewer or if it sort of pads out the LP.

Generally, I think that last statement applies to more open world like games. Seeing the spots the developers hid relics in Uncharted is actually kind of cool and doesn't break the flow of the video or the update schedule half the time. In a game like Arkham City with 300+ Riddler Trophies you would end up with probably as many collectathon videos as you would have story videos.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazyfire posted:

Since I finished Tomb Raider I've been wondering about how collectibles fit into LPs. I picked up every cache, journal and relic the game had to offer and don't really know if it added anything to the LP. The collectathon videos were the lowest viewed in the thread. By the end I was looking at almost a third of the views for the collectathons as with the story videos; that fraction even applies to the video I straight up said had a sequel hook in it. In the end I really wonder if charging out and getting every little scrap like that is worth it to the viewer or if it sort of pads out the LP.

Generally, I think that last statement applies to more open world like games. Seeing the spots the developers hid relics in Uncharted is actually kind of cool and doesn't break the flow of the video or the update schedule half the time. In a game like Arkham City with 300+ Riddler Trophies you would end up with probably as many collectathon videos as you would have story videos.
The journals were definitely worthwhile, because they helped flesh out the plot. Items like that in other games are generally worth picking up too. That said, the time you spent collecting those caches and relics on-screen (and their equivalent in other games, like the feathers in Assassin's Creed and so forth) probably could have been better spent. Just splice in a video of what happens when you collect all the caches if you want, but that's probably all that's needed in my opinion. Even if you're going to 100% a game in an LP, you don't have to do all the 100%ing on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JT Jag posted:

The journals were definitely worthwhile, because they helped flesh out the plot. Items like that in other games are generally worth picking up too. That said, the time you spent collecting those caches and relics on-screen (and their equivalent in other games, like the feathers in Assassin's Creed and so forth) probably could have been better spent. Just splice in a video of what happens when you collect all the caches if you want, but that's probably all that's needed in my opinion. Even if you're going to 100% a game in an LP, you don't have to do all the 100%ing on screen.

The issue there was that the first few collecting videos generated a few comments that could be summed up as "thanks for showing this, but could you show how you got to these things and where they were more?" It isn't possible to please everybody, but it would have been hard to say I was only going to show the post-collection screen when the majority wanted to see more.

• Locked thread