Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I believe Armorcast was semi-official in that they were a separate company that made GW models until GW noticed them and gave them some sort of "seal of approval" for a time until Forge World eventually replaced them. They still exist and make models of their own, albeit mostly terrain pieces and scenic effects (smoke clouds, muzzle flashes, etc.)

Smegmalicious posted:

Ok, so...wow. This is a thing.

How the gently caress is this a thing? it's $1500 for gently caress's sake. The thing is more like an army case than something you could actually use. Are there people who would or could buy this? How the gently caress would you use it?

I mean a part of me is glad this exists, and maybe y'all have talked about it before but, man...I just don't even.
It's not just expensive and only useable in a very small number of situations, it also has rules that are pretty awful and that FW did not even make a token attempt to update them when they reprinted it!

Sulecrist posted:

How inportant in this edition are dedicated transports? I really don't want to have to do the every-squad-in-a-Rhino thing again but has delivering short-ranged troops gotten any easier? Also, for Space Marines, does any kind of consensus exist as to what the best and worst models within the faction are? I'm considering Imperial Fists rules but I haven't bought the book yet.

Most curious about :
Terminators
Sternguard (these weren't around when I played)
Scouts
Devastators (and what weapons are in vogue?)
Devastator Centurions (these guys are new?)
Librarians
Techmarines
Land Speeders (and is the kit any less of a loving pain to assemble)

Thanks. Still looking at Eldar, too, but I don't believe I'd be quite as excited to paint all of those mousy fucks again.
Dedicated transports aren't nearly so much of a "take it always forever" thing, but they can be very useful for getting close to use weapons. If a unit only can really function when within 12" of the enemy, you probably want a transport- maybe even a Drop Pod- for it.

Basic Terminators are fairly weak, although with Imperial Fists they end up sorta alright. Sternguard are solid, if sometimes a bit fragile; Scouts a super-cheap but not terribly effective, so don't expect them to carry a list. Devastators are pretty acceptable- Lascannons are the most common weapon, but Plasma Cannons are good too. Missiles and HBs are quite weak, Multimeltas are okay but very specialized; Devastator Centurions are pretty alright and can be very scary with IF bonuses, although they get expensive quick- Las/Missile or Grav/Hurricane are your best bets; Librarians are entirely alright as a utility HQ, if not as much of an "always take" as they were before; Techmarines are pretty solid if you have tough (AV13/14) tanks in your army and pretty needless otherwise; Land Speeders are, sadly, on the downswing, although not completely useless (the kit was updated to an all-plastic one that is not unreasonable to put together, though it will definite need some rubber band work.)

Direwolf posted:

Y'all just wait until I get my...uh... Wraithknight? up and running?

DANCE PARTY CENTRAL IS GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Right then. Just got in the queue, I have news.

Goodbag has a program. Program has "sentinels of terra" marine supplement coming October, imperial fist on the front. New realm of battle title from FW, "space marine castellum stronghold" I have pictures but I'm on my phone. I'll try imgur in a bit.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/hEpiagU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gJrVNBz.jpg

EDIT2:

FW event miniatures and booky wooks.

http://i.imgur.com/Syfsr5e.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ESOZc9B.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iPrLDYa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o10gG4v.jpg

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 29, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Safety Factor posted:

I also need to work out a good way to paint tiny lightning bolts. Preferably a method where I don't go slowly insane.

Ice blue first, then a smaller line ontop with white.

I made thinner bolts on later models and it looks much better. I can't seem to find them on my phone though.

The base was the old necron abyss.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I start with a base of Altdorf Guard Blue, then I Paint the bolts on using a 10/0 brush with Ceramite White. Then I darken the blue around the bolts using Drakenhof Nightshade (3 coats, progressively receding), and finish with some Nuln Oil. I find that to be significantly easier than painting the dark spots first and then going back over with white later. If I need to lessen the white, I'll sometimes go over the tips with Guilliman blue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 29, 2013

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Forgeworld Seminar

Coming in a few months:

Mechanicum Thralls. Skittarii kits compatible with imp guard plastics

Mechanicum Myrmidoms. Giant heavy support tech priests. Loom over terminators.

Legion Basilisk and Medusa with space marine crew.

Mkiib Achilles land raider

Kharibidys assault claw drop pod. Crazy pretty armed drop pod.

Iron Hands Medusan breacher squad.

Grave Warden Death Guard terminators.

Night lords Raptors.

Lorgar!

HORUS is 50% done. Only shower us his torso but he looks amazing.

Extermination is the third book, out Easter next year:

Battle of Phall - iron warriors vs imperial fists.
Battle of Paramar

Book contains Raven guard, iron warriors, alpha legion, imperial fists.

The alpha legion have a new alpha/omega overplayed symbol. All tanks and marines covered in hydras.

The fourth book will cover:

Prospero, Signus and Calth. Lists for the Sisters of Silence and Custodes and Traitor Guard for Calth.

:catstare:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh the old Armorcast work :allears: (although I can't help but wonder if there's a reference I'm not getting here)

Cataphract posted:

But at least it wasn't Romeo yelling at the other presenters for not plugging battlefoam.
What? This I need to hear about. :psyduck:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Vondizimo posted:

Forgeworld Seminar

That's awesome. Anyone have pics up yet?

E:nm, they're up on Dakka.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/450/549764.page

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 29, 2013

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Loads of cameras going off, so I expect so. Q&A going on right now.

And with that..

Sigismunds Templars! They will have rules in the IF section.

There will be more than 18 primarch models. Different poses, different armours, different states of fall to chaos.

Conversion kits for tanks have gone because of warehouse space.

Saul, Kharn, etc will probably get models. Gator and the socialite too.

They will do a warlord Titan in the next couple of years

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 29, 2013

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Vondizimo posted:

Oh hell yes!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Vondizimo posted:

Loads of cameras going off, so I expect so. Q&A going on right now.

And with that..

There will be more than 18 primarch models. Different poses, different armours, different states of fall to chaos.

loving. Awesome. I didn't need money or spare time anyways.

quote:

They will do a warlord Titan in the next couple of years

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vondizimo posted:

Sisters of Silence and Custodes

Vondizimo posted:

Oh my I want all of this :allears:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Vondizimo posted:

Battle of Phall - iron warriors vs imperial fists.
Lists for the Sisters of Silence and Custodes
Curse you Forge World, you can't have all my dollars! I need some of those dollars to eat and have a place to store all my tiny resin mans!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Vondizimo posted:

Prospero, Signus and Calth. Lists for the Sisters of Silence and Custodes and Traitor Guard for Calth.

They're all of these in a single book? Holy poo poo.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Vondizimo posted:

But Skittarii are cybernetic greatcoat infantry and none of the current GW plastics are greatcoat...

:tinfoil:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vondizimo posted:

Saul, Kharn, etc will probably get models. Gator and the socialite too.

Suddenly picturing Malcador in a fingertip length minirobe and platform heels simultaneously name dropping and insulting a Kardashian sister at a bar so hip it doesn't have a name yet :psypop:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Putting the finishing touches on Abaddon for my new Black Legion army. I need to get better with green stuff (and also get a better photo setup), but I'm still very happy with how he turned out.

It's a kitbash of the Finecast Abaddon and the Chaos Terminator Lord models, with some custom work on the chest. The chest work was done by taking a skull from the Chaos Vehicle Accessory sprue (the skulls with hanging chains) and the tubing/connectors were made with green stuff. The head is the helmet-less head from the plastic Chaos Terminators box with Abaddon's topknot attached.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's a lot of words and not much in the way of Tyranid news...

Oh, is this live right now? Right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This should make Iron Warriors pretty happy.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I love the poo poo out of that, despite the fact that I have to run it as allies in 40k. In fact, I love pretty much everything that Forgeworld is doing. Will also be picking up Night Lords Raptors and probably some Justaerin terminators to convert into elite Black Legion Terminators.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno what I'd proxy it for, but this thing looks pretty cool:

Bonus mechanicus dude:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Apologies, the Prospero, Signus and Calth are the 4th 5th and 6th HH books. That's the next trilogy, not one book.

FW seminar was mad awesome and I've probably missed stuff. Alan Bligh also said that no xenos will be released for HH. They're all in hiding or dead as the Imperium is at it's apex of power. They run the galaxy. The Scouring after the heresy is when the xenos flood back, it's a long way off if ever.

Lots of 40k rules coming for HH stuff like the sicarius tank thing etc. Legikn basilisk and medusa have exposed marine crew and rhino style side plates on the chimera chassis.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vondizimo posted:

rhino style side plates on the chimera chassis.

Yes. I can pimp my party wagons more. Yes.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I've been listening to this for the last, like, 6 hrs. Thank you. It kicks serious rear end.

Mongols? gently caress yeah, mongols.

Hey, you're very welcome! I'm a huge fan of his Roman podcasts as well.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How terrible is a CC themed SM army?

Pretty terrible.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Naramyth posted:

Pretty terrible.

My friends (who have come out of the woodwork since my post about not finding 40k players and now want to play 40k again) and I have decided to test houserules about chainswords that make that better. Chainswords of all types are STR- AP5, with heavy chainswords (which we're playing with being made upgrades for +5pts/model) being AP4. The upgrade would only be for Codex/Chaos Marines at the moment. We're going to test it out to see if it can't do better. We're also going to test out making jump/jetpack troops able to assault flyers, too. What do you think?

Edit: We're thinking of extending these rules to choppas/big choppas, too, which should make the Ork player happy.

Double Edit: Forgot. Heavy chainsword would go into the Melee Weapons table, so characters and vets would be the ones to get them. Marine assault units, though...

Goat Bouillabaise fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 29, 2013

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

I read this as "Sicaran Violator" somehow, which went well with its appearance. "Drive me closer..." :gonk:

Been doing some last minute tweaking for a doubles tournament coming up next week. How hosed are we?

Mine - IG
Company Command Squad + Chimera (ML/HF)
Veteran Squad (3 Melta) + Chimera (ML/HF)
Vendetta
LR Demolisher (HB)
LR Demolisher (HB)
875/875

Hers - Orks
Ghazghkull Thraka
30 Shoota Boyz (2 Rokkits) (Thraka goes here)
30 Shoota Boyz (2 Rokkits) + Nob (Klaw, Armour, Pole)
28 Gretchin + 2 Runtherd
Aegis Line + Quad Gun
874/875

Rules: 875 max points per player, minimum 1 HQ + 2 Troops for both players, max 1 forgeworld unit per player, max 1 flyer per player, ally matrix rules in effect (desperate allies will have to roll for One Eye Open, etc), all games are objective-based.

I'm kind of being a dick by taking a Vendetta and 2 Demolishers at 875 points, but hopefully people won't be able to fit a lot of reliable anti-armour into their lists at that point. My CCS will sit on her Quad Gun most/all of the games, and their Chimera is there because I really couldn't think of anything else to do with 55 points that wouldn't be a complete waste. The Vendetta is there to deal with flyers as Quad Guns don't really have a good AA track record for me. As for her list, I doubt I can convince her to change any of it anymore, but she insists on taking Thraka and the rokkits. I suggested a smaller Boss and Lootas, I really did! Not much else to say about it, just slogging across the table, shooting at whatever comes near, possibly getting blown up by a bad Demolisher scatter. Are there any armies that would probably give us a hard time?

Also, while I know that Quad Guns may replace a model's weapon when in base contact, where do you trace line of sight? Can a model shoot a unit it can't see, but the quad gun can?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

My friends (who have come out of the woodwork since my post about not finding 40k players and now want to play 40k again) and I have decided to test houserules about chainswords that make that better. Chainswords of all types are STR- AP5, with heavy chainswords (which we're playing with being made upgrades for +5pts/model) being AP4. The upgrade would only be for Codex/Chaos Marines at the moment. We're going to test it out to see if it can't do better. We're also going to test out making jump/jetpack troops able to assault flyers, too. What do you think?

Edit: We're thinking of extending these rules to choppas/big choppas, too, which should make the Ork player happy.

Double Edit: Forgot. Heavy chainsword would go into the Melee Weapons table, so characters and vets would be the ones to get them. Marine assault units, though...

Marines already stomp anything with a 5+ in CC.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Apparently, Rapey Joe managed to get me a set of Kakophoni. loving hero.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Better chainswords aren't going to fix the main problem: it is hard for most close combat units to actually charge into close combat without getting shot to bits in the previous two turns.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Phyresis posted:

Better chainswords aren't going to fix the main problem: it is hard for most close combat units to actually charge into close combat without getting shot to bits in the previous two turns.

Hmmm. True. Sorry, I'm still really new to 6th ed. Charge on arrival from Deep Striking should do a lot for that, I would think. Anything else you could recommend? I've got three guys who love playing CC armies, so retooling everything for shooting isn't something they're terribly interested in.

Naramyth: True, but we're making it AP5 across the board. So Guard, Inquisitorial troops, Eldar, whatever. But as Phyresis says, it doesn't fix the end problem.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Sykic posted:

I read this as "Sicaran Violator" somehow, which went well with its appearance. "Drive me closer..." :gonk:

Been doing some last minute tweaking for a doubles tournament coming up next week. How hosed are we?

Mine - IG
Company Command Squad + Chimera (ML/HF)
Vendetta
LR Demolisher (HB)
LR Demolisher (HB)
875/875

Hers - Orks
Ghazghkull Thraka
30 Shoota Boyz (2 Rokkits) (Thraka goes here)
30 Shoota Boyz (2 Rokkits) + Nob (Klaw, Armour, Pole)
28 Gretchin + 2 Runtherd
Aegis Line + Quad Gun
874/875

Also, while I know that Quad Guns may replace a model's weapon when in base contact, where do you trace line of sight? Can a model shoot a unit it can't see, but the quad gun can?

Your biggest issue will be her walking out because of the smell/creeper people. Now, let us all laugh and think about how funny and original I am.

But on to being serious, wow, your lists are like night and day. They should go well together. Or do horribly. I don't know much about IG other then you should have two units of thudd guns because gently caress those things. But for Orks, she might want to go with a choppa Mob and replace the rokkits with Big Shootas for both Mobs. You have armor covered on your side so the rokkits are kind of worthless since maybe 1 will hit a game. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but Thraka has an extra Waaaaaaaahg so he meshes better with the extra attacks from having choppas. I would run two choppa Mobs with big shootas. For the ADL w/QG, she has the correct set up. Put that by an objective and the Grots behind the ADL manning the gun and let their BS3 have at it. Just make sure that the Runtherders aren't the only model visible because they will go down fast is they are. I don't know how Grots match up to an ADL.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
They need a way to take assault marines and/or vanguard veterans as troops and they need an affordable transport they can assault out of. If you want to make the new C:SM not suck as a close combat centric army, I'd start there.

AP5 chainswords don't do much for them, because they're already fine against units with a 5+ save in close combat. And having jump pack marines able to fight fliers is funny and thematic, but it doesn't fix the reason why close combat marines don't work in that codex.

Have you considered just playing Blood Angels?

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Hah! Point taken, but we were really just trying to find ways to make CC more feasible across the board. Most of us use Marines already, is why we focus on them at present. I'm sure we will figure something out with experimentation.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ok, sat in the pub reading massacre. The admech are just insane. Everything has uprated bolt weapons that are too hardcore for the in augmented to use. Bizzare lance photon weapons. Madness. I want them all.

Battle automata have rules that nod to the old programming cards, and a mishap table including logic errors and communication problems.

I'm making an admech army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
My friend is hung up on the notion of a CC army and wants it to be Space Marines, so I guess Blood Angels? Are they just really good in CC or do they have a way to deal with not getting shot off the table immediately?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Thunder hammer Terminators still kick rear end. Take white scars and Kahn, and go second for first turn charges from Land Raiders. Hit and Run is a nice bonus. Use thunder fires to clear the chaff.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Can we be Warhound buddies?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Charge on arrival in any form is terrible, because it eliminates the possibility of move/countermove. This is something 40k and GW haven't been able to resolve for years; If you make CC units able to 'appear' and instantly get into combat, you've made them basically infallible ways for you to pay x points to remove y points from their army, where you can pick any unit of theirs that isn't CC orientated or able to tarpit the CC unit itself. If x < y, congratulations, you win. It's an awful idea.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The problem is that shooting units can appear and kill anything they want without penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Lack of assault vehicles is also a problem for anyone that isn't Orks or Dark Eldar.

• Locked thread