Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Seriously if Scion really is on his way to attack them, people are about to die. Get ready to say your goodbuys guys. Anyone wanna take bets on deaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

NecroMonster posted:

Worm 29.5 welp, next chapter is going to be a loving nightmare. I don't know how to interpret this other than Scion is about to attack them. Maybe Satyrical is bluffing, but my gut tells me he's not and things are about to get really really loving bad.

Worm: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire

I'm not sure how Satyrical knows Scion is coming, but it may be explained later.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well, Cuff sure has come a long ways.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So we know power combinations are something that actually seems to be able to gently caress with Scion. I wonder if Canary can brainwash people strongly enough that Taylor is able to hook them into her network. That would also basically put her on the path to becoming a worm herself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Hmm, who do we know who wouldn't be slowed down in the slightest by a half-mile of solid steel? Oh, right, Shadow Stalker. Well played, Taylor, well played.

I guess Scion wouldn't either, but I doubt they're about to ask him for help. :v:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think if Canary had ever practiced with her power she'd be able to sing like the Simurgh. Which is...interesting.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hollylolly posted:

I'm not sure how Satyrical knows Scion is coming, but it may be explained later.

My guess is Scion cannot teleport directly into the Cauldron complex, so he's instead entering from the entrance Satyrical and Taylor's groups used, which would mean Sat's teammates gave him a heads up before they got killed by Scion.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I dunno, seems to me like if it was Scion they'd be, to quote Snatch, "proper hosed." Maybe it is one of the other Endbringer level characters we haven't been introduced to yet. Of course, since they're going to rescue Contessa and the Doctor I suppose that does give them some escape options so maybe it is Scion.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Lyon posted:

I dunno, seems to me like if it was Scion they'd be, to quote Snatch, "proper hosed." Maybe it is one of the other Endbringer level characters we haven't been introduced to yet. Of course, since they're going to rescue Contessa and the Doctor I suppose that does give them some escape options so maybe it is Scion.

It's the Sleeper. He stumbles into the room only to fall down and start snoring. The sound of his snores tear everyone apart with sonic waves.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lyon posted:

Nah, it's gotta be Scion. Because them being proper hosed at this point is thematically appropriate. The only other option is that the vegas capes are playing games AGAIN, in which case I wouldn't expect Taylor to leave them alive this time.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

So why couldn't they just be hosed because they need a plan and have no way to get to the person with the plan before Scion kills too many capes for it to matter, rather than "Scion is on his way and will completely obliterate us in about five minutes"? I mean, Satyrical didn't seem to be in any rush.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

So why couldn't they just be hosed because they need a plan and have no way to get to the person with the plan before Scion kills too many capes for it to matter, rather than "Scion is on his way and will completely obliterate us in about five minutes"? I mean, Satyrical didn't seem to be in any rush.

Lung and the Custodian can probably slow Scion down, but they are the only ANYONE there who stands a chance of doing even that. If you are as good as dead with no real options, why panic?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I thought they were referring to the Doormaker - that wall of steel seems like a perfect place to put a portal, and the problem is that, well, it's gone.

But then again, there'd be no reason not to refer to him by name, so I guess it's probably Sion.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, Cuff, how would you feel about supercharging your metal manipulation powers right now?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Lung and the Custodian can probably slow Scion down, but they are the only ANYONE there who stands a chance of doing even that. If you are as good as dead with no real options, why panic?

I meant he kills too many capes back at the other Earths, rather than him showing up at the facility.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
"Softball" :lol:

Just genius.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

hollylolly posted:

Worm: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire, Then out of that Fire, Into a Bigger Fire.

There is no biggest fire.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, Scion :stare:. It appears that Jack succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Worm: So did the coward run for it, or is she going to try to slow Scion down? I now believe that something is probably up with Imp, but I ain't got a clue what, not much (aside from teacher, and that feels off) fits. And what was the loving purpose of the poo poo Sat just pulled?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think I'm going to have to read that chapter a few times because I didn't get why Satyr was doing what he was doing either. Just a death wish?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

hollylolly posted:

I think I'm going to have to read that chapter a few times because I didn't get why Satyr was doing what he was doing either. Just a death wish?
Pretender is a Cauldron cape, I think it has something to do with that, considering who's with the doctor right now.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, I'm going to need to read it again as well but the general idea seems to be that the Vegas capes will want to kill Doctor Mother, Pretender is with Doctor Monther and will probably defend her, and Stayr is head over heels in love with Pretender (or maybe he was in love with Alexandria) and really doesn't want to fight him/her, but felt he needed an excuse to keep himself and the rest of his group from going down there, and thus he played games with Taylor.

I'm not at all sure that's correct, so don't take it as gospel or anything.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

That's how I took it as well.

As for SS, I think she's going to be straight up this time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The other option is it's a really complex pile of lies constructed to prevent Taylor from working her way through and thus convince Taylor to lead her group down the hole and thus into a trap. If that's true, then Shadow Stalker might be their only hope for getting out of the trap alive. I don't really believe this is what happened but I'm not willing to claim I fully understood anything that went on during the exchange with Satyr.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Yeah. I'm not sure what to make of Satyr. He's a Cauldron cape, and his "best friend" is a powerful Cauldron agent. On the other hand, he's been working to expose Protectorate corruption, which leads straight back to Cauldron.

Who knows what his motivations are at this point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm a mess of wild-rear end guesses at this point, but the though which stuck with me today was this: could Foil charge Weld with her power? Because that would be cool.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm a mess of wild-rear end guesses at this point, but the though which stuck with me today was this: could Foil charge Weld with her power? Because that would be cool.

Nope. Weld is "Manton Optimal" to put it most simply. For powers that effect the living he's metal, for powers that effect non-living only he's alive.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2013

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Oh. Dear.

Venom 29.7 Spoilers:

Well, I guess that explains how Cauldron was harvesting abilities.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

OmniBeer posted:

Oh. Dear.

Venom 29.7 Spoilers:

Well, I guess that explains how Cauldron was harvesting abilities.

Oh. Dear. That whole loving chapter.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Even when they needed an entirely unlimited power, Doctor Mother STILL mixed in Balance to limit the powers. Wasted time they didn't have.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Out of each frying pan, into a series of slightly larger frying pans, still have no idea where the fire is.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dietrich posted:

Out of each frying pan, into a series of slightly larger frying pans, still have no idea where the fire is.

also, still have no idea what the fire is.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Virigoth posted:

also, still have no idea what the fire is.

What if it's frying pans all the way down?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I keep thinking Weaver should upgrade to these.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/killer-hornets-see-first-pictures-2327613

Or those Japanese Hornets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bit late for that really.

And yeah, holy crap doctor, get a loving clue.

Oh wait, you're dead. Welp.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

veekie posted:

Even when they needed an entirely unlimited power, Doctor Mother STILL mixed in Balance to limit the powers. Wasted time they didn't have.

It would have been poetic justice if someone had just knocked the balance mixture off the table and then force-fed her the other two vials. Since this is Worm, the power would have done absolutely nothing to save them, but still.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I can't decide if I prefer having to wait between each new segment of Worm (get it? :haw:), which builds a huge amount of tension, or if I would rather the entire thing be released at once so I can blaze through breathlessly as things build up faster and faster.

I thought the first arc (through Chapter 8) was relentless, but this has just been something else entirely.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Finally caught up. :stare: I swear, there needs to be a reverse "It gets better" campaign for Worm.

"Hey, I know you're probably upset because you just read about Brockton Bay getting fisted by Leviathan, and you're hoping that things are going to work out in the end. Well, trust me, it gets worse. You ain't seen poo poo yet."

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Thread title change request:
Worm: You ain't seen poo poo yet. It can always get worse

I keep trying to get my friends to read this, and they keep having other things to do/read. It's eating at me like Malazan did not being able to share the :stare: with people in real life.

(There really needs to be a growing :stare: animation like the one for psyduck. 30x30 pixels just isn't enough.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

I think I'll try to read this again.

• Locked thread