Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

kater posted:

I never read no stinkin manga and I regularly hate the anime, but that was not a bad episode or a bad way to end the season. Crazy awesome titanfight and also Eren got his first drop of characterization since like... episode 2.

Also Bill would make the perfect titan.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. I've read the manga (admittedly so long ago I barely remember this part), and I thought this episode was handled fine, just differently. But it seems like many manga readers have been anticipating the finale (and reactions to it) so much that they're just annoyed it wasn't treated as a big deal. I kind of wish they'd at least keep the complaining to the manga only thread and leave this thread free for unspoiled anime reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iQ-U3osZU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bremen posted:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. I've read the manga (admittedly so long ago I barely remember this part), and I thought this episode was handled fine, just differently. But it seems like many manga readers have been anticipating the finale (and reactions to it) so much that they're just annoyed it wasn't treated as a big deal. I kind of wish they'd at least keep the complaining to the manga only thread and leave this thread free for unspoiled anime reactions.

It's an adaptation and they've done an outstanding job, it's just the most important revelation out of this arc was very poorly executed. I think if they had 26 episodes they could have delivered everything the series deserves.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 29, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I Appreciate You posted:

I'm pretty sure y'all are forgetting the best parody of them all. :colbert:
Original size was better because of details like :14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUySqz10MQQ

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
okay, this is effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJAT7U1otU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Promising fresh meat to toss into the meat grinder that is the animation industry!

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
I haven't read any of the manga, but from what I watched today the final episode was pretty freaking awesome. I really don't have any complaints. The fight between Annie and Eren was incredible and personally, Eren turning into some sort of fire demon titan was pretty baller guys. I know a lot of you are complaining about the ending, but I thought it was really cool and creepy that there was a loving titan in the wall. Considering all the backstory given on the miner, he most likely discovered this and was eaten or maybe even started the "titan's in the wall" club. But yeah, as a person who hasn't read any of the manga and doesn't neccesarily plan to as long as they are making a second season, I didn't have any problems with this episode (because I have nothing to compare it to.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One thing I liked about this episode was that they made the flashbacks with Annie's father a proper counterpart to Eren's flashbacks with his father. That's one thing that the manga didn't emphasise, but by adapting both sequences with similar intensity, they made them seem like counterparts to each other.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 29, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not like the manga readers hated the episode. 99% of it was completely loving awesome. Even the added stuff was pretty great. They just (stinger talk) rearranged some things to make the Wall Titan reveal the final image, which not only lowered the intensity of its reveal(in the manga it happens right after Annie falls and Mikasa and Hanji are like ":catstare: WHY IS THERE A TITAN IN THE WALL" and everyone is freaking out without a chance for things to calm down after the Annie capture) but also because some things happen directly afterward that I can't see how they'd incorporate them if nobody's around and the time when it's exposed.

I still loved the episode as a whole. I just think they mishandled a really great scene.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
GOD drat that fight scene!

When his burning spirit picked himself up out of the rubble, that's almost a perfect Sin from Genesis moment from Eva 2.22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndwtZToVcno

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh you have got to be making GBS threads me wall titan is an actual thing and not just a neato graphic?

OH YOU HAVE GOT TO BE making GBS threads ME WALL TITAN IS AN ACTUAL THING AND NOT JUST A NEATO GRAPHIC?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

kater posted:

Oh you have got to be making GBS threads me wall titan is an actual thing and not just a neato graphic?

OH YOU HAVE GOT TO BE making GBS threads ME WALL TITAN IS AN ACTUAL THING AND NOT JUST A NEATO GRAPHIC?

Haha, if this caught you off guard, I want to see your reaction to what comes next.

It keeps happening. :unsmigghh:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Calm down, there is no need to be upset.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Mikasa is the most cold-hearted woman of all time and I love it. The part where she slices off Titan Annie's fingers and then jumps on her drat face so she can tell her to just fall down directly was incredible.

Mikasa #1 forever

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Roflfox posted:

Mikasa is the most cold-hearted woman of all time and I love it. The part where she slices off Titan Annie's fingers and then jumps on her drat face so she can tell her to just fall down directly was incredible.
Definitely feel like Armin's never gonna need to give that whole "cast your humanity aside" pep talk to Mikasa.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's an adaptation and they've done an outstanding job, it's just the most important revelation out of this arc was very poorly executed. I think if they had 26 episodes they could have delivered everything the series deserves.

Agreed, the summary episode (13.5) was not needed and should have been scrapped for this purpose.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Khagan posted:

Agreed, the summary episode (13.5) was not needed and should have been scrapped for this purpose.

Given the way the first half of the series looked compared to the second half, that episode was absolutely needed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Original size was better because of details like :14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUySqz10MQQ

This reminds me, I don't think this one was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tML0GaXxkwA

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, they probably should have made a second recap episode as well instead of opening most episodes in the second half with a few minutes of recap.

With all the pacing issues in the second half I think the last thing this show needed is more episodes to cover the same amount of content.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Heck, they probably should have made a second recap episode as well instead of opening most episodes in the second half with a few minutes of recap.

With all the pacing issues in the second half I think the last thing this show needed is more episodes to cover the same amount of content.

In the second half? The second half was far better paced than the first. We didn't get bogged down with meaningless monologues for entire episodes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ViggyNash posted:

This reminds me, I don't think this one was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tML0GaXxkwA

I don't' get it, why are they so upset some stupid anime is getting made? What's their stake in this?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

I don't' get it, why are they so upset some stupid anime is getting made? What's their stake in this?

It's not their moe waifu anime like K-On and Haruhi. In fact it's so anti-moe that they probably saw it as a direct insult.

Of course that point is moot since Free! is probably one of the most popular show of the season behind AoT.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Khagan posted:

It served a purpose. To give you a teaser preview of the first OST. :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

In the second half? The second half was far better paced than the first. We didn't get bogged down with meaningless monologues for entire episodes.

Not entire episodes, but all too frequently there would be a recap and sometime in the same episode characters would be standing around repeating the information that was already repeated in the recap. If they did one or the other it'd be fine, but doing both makes for rough pacing!

(And I think manga readers mentioned that the second half is where the pacing became 1 chapter per episode)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not like the manga readers hated the episode. 99% of it was completely loving awesome. Even the added stuff was pretty great. They just (stinger talk) rearranged some things to make the Wall Titan reveal the final image, which not only lowered the intensity of its reveal(in the manga it happens right after Annie falls and Mikasa and Hanji are like ":catstare: WHY IS THERE A TITAN IN THE WALL" and everyone is freaking out without a chance for things to calm down after the Annie capture) but also because some things happen directly afterward that I can't see how they'd incorporate them if nobody's around and the time when it's exposed.

I still loved the episode as a whole. I just think they mishandled a really great scene.

I would agree the scene was mishandled... if this was a 50 episode season. But it's not, they wrapped things up, and handled the scene just fine with that in mind. Sorry it sucked for you because you're looking at it in hindsight.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

RBX posted:

No kidding. Please heed the warning. Also please don't act smug about only watching the anime you look like an idiot. Nobody does that.

:negative:

Roflfox posted:

Mikasa #1 forever

At first I thought she managed to do it through her reinforced fingers.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Srice posted:

Not entire episodes, but all too frequently there would be a recap and sometime in the same episode characters would be standing around repeating the information that was already repeated in the recap. If they did one or the other it'd be fine, but doing both makes for rough pacing!

(And I think manga readers mentioned that the second half is where the pacing became 1 chapter per episode)

It's actually 1-1.5 and has been that way the entire series. The chapters are 35-40 pages typically so their approach left them plenty of material they could use for an episode without the whole thing feeling rushed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

I would agree the scene was mishandled... if this was a 50 episode season. But it's not, they wrapped things up, and handled the scene just fine with that in mind. Sorry it sucked for you because you're looking at it in hindsight.
I know you get your rocks off for whatever reason from manga readers being unhappy with how something in the anime is handled, but can you stop being so unappealing about it? It's really not unreasonable to be dissatisfied by how they handled a pretty massive reveal. You could try reading the two manga chapters involving it to see the differences so you at least can understand why a manga reader might have issues with it.

Kissmanga Chapter 33 link

Also, chapter 34 has a much better cliffhanger ending to the season than what they went with. If you'd prefer not to see that, then stop reading when it starts into the Erwin interrogation pages, after that it enters post-anime territory.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't take the sting at the end as a cliffhanger; the way I see it, it's a hook for the second season (or the manga). A sort of preview for what it will come in with, and as much part of the plot as the next-episode previews.

I do think a lot of people were expecting that reveal to actually happen this season, and are disappointed because it didn't. It just got lip service.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting my point across really poorly here.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
I didn't even think it was a reveal. I thought it was a joke!!! What the gently caress is even :shepface:

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

JosephWongKS posted:

Man, the amount of Attack on Titan fanwork is absolutely bugfuck insane. I've compiled below a selection of "Guren no Yumiya crossed with other series" videos, and this is by no means complete or comprehensive, and it does not cover "Jiyuu no Tsubasa" crossovers, or the ED crossovers, or instrumental covers, or the astounding number of AMVs or MADs.

Guren no Adventure Time

I'm only saddened to see no Guren no Haibane Renmei. It's got a wall and everything.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Disconnecticus posted:

I'm only saddened to see no Guren no Haibane Renmei. It's got a wall and everything.

Obviously they exist in the same universe. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The fact half the people thought it was a joke or think its fine it just got "lip service" is the problem. If it was handled correctly we'd have people wtf'ing and asking questions and excited. Instead everybody is talking about...how it was handled.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

RBX posted:

The fact half the people thought it was a joke or think its fine it just got "lip service" is the problem. If it was handled correctly we'd have people wtf'ing and asking questions and excited. Instead everybody is talking about...how it was handled.

Except that's exactly the discussion I've been having with my friends who've only been watching the anime, none of who got the wrong impression with the shot. I'm gonna blame the manga readers who got to this thread first and decided to start posting about how it was handled. They set the tone here.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was going to come in and ask questions about it, since it seemed like a great cliffhanger to go out on. But people got in here first and said "now nobody will ask questions about it because of the way it was handled" before anyone could ask questions about it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

CaptCommy posted:

Except that's exactly the discussion I've been having with my friends who've only been watching the anime, none of who got the wrong impression with the shot. I'm gonna blame the manga readers who got to this thread first and decided to start posting about how it was handled. They set the tone here.

Yeah, I agree. We should have just shut the gently caress up for a while and let the anime watchers enjoy it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

There have been a couple of people who posted in this thread saying they thought it was a titan breaking through the wall or something. And plenty of people who missed it entirely.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Genocyber posted:

There have been a couple of people who posted in this thread saying they thought it was a titan breaking through the wall or something. And plenty of people who missed it entirely.

Who cares? Is the Objective Truth that important here?

Take comparisons to the manga to the manga thread please.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I know you get your rocks off for whatever reason from manga readers being unhappy with how something in the anime is handled, but can you stop being so unappealing about it? It's really not unreasonable to be dissatisfied by how they handled a pretty massive reveal. You could try reading the two manga chapters involving it to see the differences so you at least can understand why a manga reader might have issues with it.

Kissmanga Chapter 33 link

Also, chapter 34 has a much better cliffhanger ending to the season than what they went with. If you'd prefer not to see that, then stop reading when it starts into the Erwin interrogation pages, after that it enters post-anime territory.

Oh yea. That's a far better reveal than the anime one, and I can understand the annoyance among manga readers.

But considering how they did the last segment of the episode, I can't think of how they would be able to smoothly fit in the the titan in the wall reveal with the same impact and intensity. I liked that whole ending segment pre-credits a lot so I wouldn't want that to go away, but I now agree that reveal could have been far better.

Maybe they could have had Mikasa chilling out at that field where Eren and Annie fought, just contemplating what had happened, then suddenly the wall chunks fall away and HOLY gently caress IT'S A TITAN FACE. Hopefully they redo that in the BD release.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So that episode, that was something alright. Titan Eren vs. Titan Annie is definitely the most brutal showdown in the show. Even in their first fight, it was still a calculated fistfight for the most part, just on the scale of giant monsters. Here it was just raw, visceral anger. Who needs tactics when you can turn yourself into a raging hellbeast? Eren was definitely going insane from becoming the Berserk Titan or whatever, but man that was an angry fight.

Well, it was less a fight and just Eren going insane hunting down Annie. It was sort of cathartic, seeing the once super-confident Annie, who was just tossing the Survey Corps aside during the 57th Expedition, running in terror from certain death, and whenever the camera zoomed in on her eyes that expression of hers was priceless.

As for the post-credits reveal, I admit I skipped past the whole miner story while watching the episode, mainly because I was eating something while watching it and didn't want it to get cold, but uh, didn't see that one coming. I thought it was the Colossal Titan at first, but there had to be a reason that whole miner story got included.

I admit I've been holding off on the manga mainly because the highlight of my week has usually been the new Titan episode and I didn't want to spoil myself on what'll happen next, but maybe it's time to give in. They have to make a second season. They can't just spring the post-credits thing, the miner story, and the last moments we see of Erwin's interrogation, and not do anything with it. Seems he really gets what's going on, even though he seems to be running the Survey Corps like his own thing and answerable to no one.

But I can understand, given the Military Police are corrupt and useless for the most part and everyone else is just keeping order within the walls. Someone has to step up and change things, especially since the Colossal and Armored Titans have proved just sitting around is inviting certain death for humanity. Still, though, without reading the manga, I have no idea what's going to happen next, especially the whole Wall Titan thing. Man, for a shounen series the plot is oddly compelling.

Titan is certainly not a perfect show by any means, but dear god is it entertaining. Really a stellar production all-around, and I'm there day one for season two. What I especially liked from the final moments was the callback to the first episode, where the episode's opening shot was of two birds flying, and then the line about "On that day, humanity remembered the fear of oppression living under them and the humiliation of living in a cage".

I still think the opening 30 seconds to this show is probably my single favorite moment. It communicates an entire world of emotion and dread in under a minute. I've still got other shows I'd like to watch that'll replace Titan until season two begins, but nothing is ever going to be able to replicate Titan, in any way, shape, or form.

• Locked thread