Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah Thief was definitely on there. Good recommendation too.

So help me out with another, dawg. I'm jonesing for some 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chichevache posted:

In addition to the suggestions of Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, you might be ineterested in Heathers, Highlander, and Top Gun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

In addition to the suggestions of Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, you might be ineterested in Heathers, Highlander, and Top Gun.

I've seen all the John Hughes' films. Heathers looks fun though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't believe no one said Flashdance or Footloose yet.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Chichevache posted:

License to Drive (featuring the Coreys, those two ultimate icons of the 80s)
Possibly the only more 80s movie is Can't Buy Me Love, sadly not available streaming

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
William Gibson is a brilliant novelist, essayist, and short story writer. Everything he's ever written for a visual medium has turned out dire.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For the guy looking for 80's movies, check out Stayin Alive. It's the sequel to Saturday Night Fever. It's a really bad movie with an awful soundtrack. It has none of the good 80's music.

It's the total opposite of Saturday Night Fever, which is a good movie with an amazing soundtrack. Seriously. It's one of the best.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Joe Don Baker posted:

He was on Stern and mentioned something pretty interesting about the show. He traded money for 100% creative control. He can do whatever he wants on the show. FX has zero creative input aside from Standards and Practices I guess. For that he doesn't get paid as much as he could otherwise.

FX literally write him out a cheque and he does everything else. I think he's also said it's basically impossible for them to lose money on the show because it costs so little that advertising easily covers it. They even offered to increase the budget but he told them no because he didn't want the expectation of "We've given you more so we expect a certain product."

The thing that trips people up about Louie is that it isn't always a comedy. There's moments of straight drama there and it's by design. They're basically just 10 short films, sometimes they're connected, most of the time they're not.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

FX literally write him out a cheque and he does everything else. I think he's also said it's basically impossible for them to lose money on the show because it costs so little that advertising easily covers it. They even offered to increase the budget but he told them no because he didn't want the expectation of "We've given you more so we expect a certain product."

The thing that trips people up about Louie is that it isn't always a comedy. There's moments of straight drama there and it's by design. They're basically just 10 short films, sometimes they're connected, most of the time they're not.

Artie Lange's cameo is the best.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there a difference between content on mediaplayers/mobile devices and PC? I was watching Flubber downstairs and wanted to continue watching it upstairs later. I tried on PC and PS3, and it's not available. When I try with my tablet, it is. I tried both the Dutch and American Netflix content and it's driving me crazy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Louis CK had a short lived sitcom on HBO that was much more "traditional" than Louie. It wasn't completely awful apparently, but I bet he learned a lot on how he definitely didn't want to do things..

Lucky Louie, it'd be interesting to see an episode to compare to his current show. Doesn't seem to be on my HBO on demand offering so perhaps they are hiding it ;)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

priznat posted:

Louis CK had a short lived sitcom on HBO that was much more "traditional" than Louie. It wasn't completely awful apparently, but I bet he learned a lot on how he definitely didn't want to do things..

Lucky Louie, it'd be interesting to see an episode to compare to his current show. Doesn't seem to be on my HBO on demand offering so perhaps they are hiding it ;)

It's on HBOGo, since you apparently have HBO.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been re-watching Lost, and what the hell is up with the subtitles? Sometimes they'll just be things that are nowhere near what's actually being said. They're usually paraphrases of what the characters are saying, but the wording is different enough that it can't be mishearing. Also I just got to the start of episode 5 and there's a Jack flashback where he's on the schoolyard and a bully's beating down his friend. The subtitles say "Is your human being friend gonna help? No he's not, human being", but nobody's saying anything at all at that point. Was the line like in the original broadcast, and then it got censored on Netflix, but somehow kept in the subtitles? Is it just really faint and I can't hear it over the music? The hell is going on here.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

priznat posted:

It's actually surprisingly good, and incorporates some of his well known stand up. Also his wife is the same actress as his love interest in the first couple of seasons of Louie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

In other Louis CK news, his directorial debut Pootie Tang is also up on streaming for anyone who would like to check that out. Never seen it myself, I'll leave commentary for someone else. Apparently he's a bit embarrassed of it these days, though, so tempering your expectations seems like good advice.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sarchasm posted:

In other Louis CK news, his directorial debut Pootie Tang is also up on streaming for anyone who would like to check that out. Never seen it myself, I'll leave commentary for someone else. Apparently he's a bit embarrassed of it these days, though, so tempering your expectations seems like good advice.

There was a huge amount of studio tampering (ironic, given the plot of the film). This becomes evident in out-of-place voice overs, interstitial scenes reminding you who characters from 15 minutes ago are, etc. It's still pretty funny, regardless.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jonny Angel posted:

I've been re-watching Lost, and what the hell is up with the subtitles? Sometimes they'll just be things that are nowhere near what's actually being said. They're usually paraphrases of what the characters are saying, but the wording is different enough that it can't be mishearing. Also I just got to the start of episode 5 and there's a Jack flashback where he's on the schoolyard and a bully's beating down his friend. The subtitles say "Is your human being friend gonna help? No he's not, human being", but nobody's saying anything at all at that point. Was the line like in the original broadcast, and then it got censored on Netflix, but somehow kept in the subtitles? Is it just really faint and I can't hear it over the music? The hell is going on here.

The mind reads slower than it hears, so they need to paraphrase bits of the longer sentences.

And yeah, usually when there are lines like that they were in the original scripts (which is what the subtitle people were most likely given to transcribe) and not put in the final product. This also happens when Netflix subtitles say something about music playing, it might say a completely different song in the subtitles because that's what was originally there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

GonSmithe posted:

The mind reads slower than it hears, so they need to paraphrase bits of the longer sentences.

And yeah, usually when there are lines like that they were in the original scripts (which is what the subtitle people were most likely given to transcribe) and not put in the final product. This also happens when Netflix subtitles say something about music playing, it might say a completely different song in the subtitles because that's what was originally there.

This, and sometimes they're given a rough cut of the episode to work with instead. Broadcast episodes are often being worked on close to being aired (From what I remember at the time, the Lost finale was still being edited like the day before it was shown), so they subtitle an assembly cut instead.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sarchasm posted:

Pootie Tang has a lot of issues but is still totally worth watching. It's weird thinking that it's from Louis C.K. just because it seems so unlike anything else he's done and even the style of humor is more absurd than his recent output.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GonSmithe posted:

It's on HBOGo, since you apparently have HBO.

I'm in Canada so we get a watered down version of hboGo that doesn't have a lot of series. Pretty much only stuff that is currently airing on the HBO Canada channels :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Pootie Tang has a lot of issues but is still totally worth watching. It's weird thinking that it's from Louis C.K. just because it seems so unlike anything else he's done and even the style of humor is more absurd than his recent output.

Louis C.K. was a head writer for the Chris Rock Show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Question about Amazon instant video - I had always assumed that the Prime streaming, rentals, and purchases all used the same library (well, OK, maybe Prime would be a subset), but is that actually the case? Are some things available for streaming that you can't buy/rent? I wanted to watch Fire Walk With Me but it's apparently not currently available for rental.

BTW, does the PS3 Amazon app seriously not support Bluetooth keyboard input?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Louis C.K. was a head writer for the Chris Rock Show.

Did not know that. I also haven't ever seen the Chris Rock Show. Although I guess it all makes more sense now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Did not know that. I also haven't ever seen the Chris Rock Show. Although I guess it all makes more sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

david_a posted:

Question about Amazon instant video - I had always assumed that the Prime streaming, rentals, and purchases all used the same library (well, OK, maybe Prime would be a subset), but is that actually the case? Are some things available for streaming that you can't buy/rent? I wanted to watch Fire Walk With Me but it's apparently not currently available for rental.

Not from what I've seen--prime videos are just a subset of the normal instant streaming videos that Amazon has for rental/purchase. For Fire Walk With Me, unfortunately it looks like it's not available for streaming at all. The DVD for $6.49 isn't a bad deal though, and if you have prime 2 day shipping is free. If you like Twin Peaks you will definitely be happy to own the movie.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Just got an email that season 3 of walking dead is on Netflix now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
loving finally.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I thought Season 2 dragged really, really badly in the middle, am I gonna go crazy watching season 3?

Seriously, there was a scene in season 2 that had me exclaiming "Thank god that loving kid is dead, loving finally!. The season was apparently set over two weeks, too, but it felt like it was over months. The pacing was so hosed up.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have to imagine it's been discussed, but early this morning I just could not sleep and I went on netflix and saw this documentary Man on Wire - which is about Phillipe Petit, a street performer and wirewalker, and how he famously walked on a wire between the WTC towers - a film which I had not seen back in 2008 when it came out (and I later found out did win the Oscar for best documentary that year and got 100% positive reviews on rotten tomatoes) and had totally forgotten about. So I figured what the hell, and watched it.

Really one of the best documentaries I have ever seen - fun, engaging, and entertaining; but also extremely poignant and profound at times. A most rare sort of film. Most documentaries about an amazing act like that might sort of demystify and dissect the event and take some of the wonder out of it, but this film amazingly pulls off exactly the opposite. I really don't want to spoil too much for people who haven't seen it, because just going in knowing as little as possible is probably best, I've probably said too much already. Watch this.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I thought Season 2 dragged really, really badly in the middle, am I gonna go crazy watching season 3?

Seriously, there was a scene in season 2 that had me exclaiming "Thank god that loving kid is dead, loving finally!. The season was apparently set over two weeks, too, but it felt like it was over months. The pacing was so hosed up.

Season 3 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of season 2.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

TrixRabbi posted:

I rewatched Pootie Tang for the first time in ages the other day. The first act is seriously loving hilarious. Like, it's some next level poo poo. But it collapses so quickly after that. I'd say it's worth it just for the first third of the film, honestly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Surprised as I am to see it on Netflix, I'm really impressed by the graphics in this Let's Play of the Playstation 2 game "Thor".

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I Think We're Alone Now.

Watch this. Morbidly fascinating, frightening, sad...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

E the Shaggy posted:

Season 3 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of season 2.

Yeah it's better but it drags quite a bit in the second half.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pick posted:

Surprised as I am to see it on Netflix, I'm really impressed by the graphics in this Let's Play of the Playstation 2 game "Thor".

Thor is only action heavy for the first half-hour or so, after that it turns into a really charming fish-out-of-water romantic comedy.

No, seriously.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dreadnought posted:

I rewatched Pootie Tang for the first time in ages the other day. The first act is seriously loving hilarious. Like, it's some next level poo poo. But it collapses so quickly after that. I'd say it's worth it just for the first third of the film, honestly.

The "POOTIE TOO GOOD" scene is one of my favorite movie gags ever. It's a shame there was so much post-production studio fuckery because the movie some great ideas and a couple loving great scenes, but it's hampered by useless footage and choppy editing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The "POOTIE TOO GOOD" scene is one of my favorite movie gags ever. It's a shame there was so much post-production studio fuckery because the movie some great ideas and a couple loving great scenes, but it's hampered by useless footage and choppy editing.

I still lose my poo poo at the breakup scene near the beginning. That actress sells it loving perfectly.

The movie really is less than the sum of its parts, sadly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Thor is only action heavy for the first half-hour or so, after that it turns into a really charming fish-out-of-water romantic comedy.

No, seriously.

I was too distracted by Kat Dennings to follow the on Earth sections of the plot.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

etalian posted:

I was too distracted by Kat Dennings to follow the on Earth sections of the plot.

I bought the 3D Bluray thinking she may be the best aspect of the gimmick, though it was actually the Rainbow Bridge. True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If you guys are interested in the many theories of The Shining. I recommend you check out Room 237. It starts out with some really great analysis and halfway through goes right into crazy town. It's honestly the most captivating movie about a movie I have ever seen.

• Locked thread