Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Got my third bad ending on F/SN. Tiger Dojo's are the best. Story wiseI just finished the segment with Assassin on day 6. I gotta say, Shirou's raging misogyny is pretty uh...showing I wanna say? I'll assume he'll improve but currently it's a wee bit, yeah. Otherwise I'm still liking it all so far. Kinda saw Shinji being a master coming, but didn't expect who his servant was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

Got my third bad ending on F/SN. Tiger Dojo's are the best. Story wiseI just finished the segment with Assassin on day 6. I gotta say, Shirou's raging misogyny is pretty uh...showing I wanna say? I'll assume he'll improve but currently it's a wee bit, yeah. Otherwise I'm still liking it all so far. Kinda saw Shinji being a master coming, but didn't expect who his servant was.

For what it's worth there's pretty much zero of that in the other two routes.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I'd like to point out that narrow-mindedness regarding gender roles is not misogyny; he's just dense.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

True I suppose, it just came off that way mainly because how hard he seemed to be driving his point across. :v: It is kinda funny though seeing him basically get the poo poo kicked out of him by Saber's training.

e; speaking of Saber. Boy does that one image flash up a LOT.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 29, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zeratanis posted:

This is the main problem most people have with the first route (also, Saber is pretty boring). Not only does he get better in other routes, but the game is well aware of the perceptions you have now and will attempt to play off of them in those other routes as well.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Despite how much it's shown through flashbacks back to it, I think it's worth pointing out that the reason he's that way towards Saber is because he got traumatized by seeing her getting her guts torn out of her by Berserker. I kind of missed it my first way through Fate until I thought about it. He's still got the idea of traditional gender roles ingrained (late 90s japan cultural values and all) and at times says some rather sexist things without thinking, but that event is the driving force behind his behavior during the route.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Oh right, I was supposed to post my thoughts about Heavens Feel. I don't remember what I last posted, but it's day 15 and god drat things are hosed up. Shirou teaming up with Kotomine. Sakura turning insane, and the shadow taking over her. Right now, Shirou's in the forest, running away from Berzerker with Ilya, and (much like the rest of the route) I'm in a perpetual state of :ohdear:. So much god drat poo poo is happening, and Shirou is only making things hard for himself.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

Heavens Feel Day 15

It begins, the one reason to have the Realta Nua patch :fsn:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nephilm posted:

It begins, the one reason to have the Realta Nua patch :fsn:
Berzerker Alter is terrifying :cry:

EDIT: I hate Kotomine, but I'm so glad someone managed to kill that bastard Zouken

EDIT 2: No Shirou. Don't be an idiot and uncover Archer's arm.

EDIT 3: Wait a sec. Assassin is still around. Is Kotomine going to take him to make up for losing Gil?

EDIT 4: Why is the music changing so much? He's losing his memories again, isn't he.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 29, 2013

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Oh god what have I done

edit: yes I am not quite done

Barent fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 29, 2013

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Needs the UN decals.

...Oh, it's not painted yet.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Barent posted:

Oh god what have I done

edit: yes I am not quite done

Sweet, I have an IJA version I need to get around to assembling.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

More bad ends more Dojos, they don't get old. :allears: Yes I'm looking for them specifically since I want to see as much as I can going through, still avoiding spoilers like the plague. But uhh Imma go and guess Rider is Dracula? I don't know my history well but Vlad Tepes rode a horse right? Well, other than Rider is also a girl and Dracula was a guy. Just made me wonder since Shirou got his blood sucked and that's the first thing that popped into my head. Also leave it to Shinji to be a lying douchebag, very glad he got his arm smashed.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You can forget about learning who Rider is for a while, I don't think they answer that for sure until HF. You could figure it out a bit later in Fate if you're really familiar with the mythology involved, but I only figured out what country's mythology she came from with that information. She's really kind of an odd one, since she's not all that associated with riding. Hell, even other servants in F/SN are more associated with mounted combat than she. The mythological figure Lancer is based on was also a well known charioteer, for example.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 29, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Heavens Feel Shirou killed Saber :smithicide:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blhue posted:

You can forget about learning who Rider is for a while, I don't think they answer that for sure until HF. You could figure it out a bit later in Fate if you're really familiar with the mythology involved, but I only figured out what country's mythology she came from with that information. She's really kind of an odd one, since she's not all that associated with riding. Hell, even other servants in F/SN are more associated with mounted combat than she. The mythological figure Lancer is based on was also a well known charioteer, for example.

Obviously hindsight bias plays into it, but the fact she's the only Servant who is constantly covering her eyes might be a clue. What mythological race of beasts had eyes you could never look into, and which of those beasts is the most well-known? But yes, if you didn't already know who she was, you probably wouldn't reach that conclusion by yourself.

As for unpronounceable, it's the way she would have wanted things to end :smith:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Unpronounceable, it may be a good idea to go back to when Rider asks Shirou what he's going to do, pick a wrong answer, and see that Bad End through. It's loving awesome. :black101:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Sylphid posted:

But yes, if you didn't already know who she was, you probably wouldn't reach that conclusion by yourself.

I think the main point preventing someone from identifying Rider's identity is that she is fundamentally not human, whereas all the other heroic spirits presented are - even Kojiro being a wraith was still human. You have to think a lot more outside the box than with say, Saber.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also she kind of lacks her defining physical feature, the thing that people associate with her name other than the effect of her eyes. That was the thing that made me boggle. If she had had that, her identity would have been immediately obvious though, so I can see why she didn't have it.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I'm on day 9 of the main route of F/SN and I'm pretty sure I know who Rider is? After seeing her sigil thing and putting two and two together re: covered eyes and the way they keep referencing her hair, I'm guessing it's medusa.

I'm honestly more confused about who Saber is supposed to be. My only real guess is Joan of Arc but I don't think there are any real myths about her that would make her an interesting main heroine.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

More bad ends more Dojos, they don't get old. :allears: Yes I'm looking for them specifically since I want to see as much as I can going through, still avoiding spoilers like the plague. But uhh Imma go and guess Rider is Dracula? I don't know my history well but Vlad Tepes rode a horse right? Well, other than Rider is also a girl and Dracula was a guy. Just made me wonder since Shirou got his blood sucked and that's the first thing that popped into my head. Also leave it to Shinji to be a lying douchebag, very glad he got his arm smashed.

(Don't read this, Zeratanis. Or any of the other recent spoilered posts, for that matter. Also contains Zero spoilers.) This is the first time I've seen this theory. It's interesting because most of the other Servants whose identities aren't revealed almost immediately have at least one standard false assumption (Joan of Arc for Saber, Kiritsugu for Archer, a revived Archer for Gilgamesh, something bug-related for True Assassin, Gawain and Mordred for Zero Berserker). I don't think there's a standard false assumption for Kojiro, though. Ironically, Joan, Vlad, Gawain, and Mordred all appear, with their identities revealed almost immediately, in Extra and/or Apocrypha, leading to weird indirect spoilers if, for instance, you play Extra before watching Zero.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 29, 2013

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Watuhboy posted:

I'm honestly more confused about who Saber is supposed to be. My only real guess is Joan of Arc but I don't think there are any real myths about her that would make her an interesting main heroine.

Funny you say that, because Saber is the least interesting heroine.

Well, no, I'll be fair: though rather simplistic in presentation, Saber's baggage is a pretty interesting conflict particularly when tied with elements brought up by Fate/Zero, and she undeniably has a very rich past, but as an individual she's just a regular girl with a couple personality quirks that are played for laughs. Because of this, she's much better when she's not a romantic interest, because then she's less "just a girl" and more an interesting figure from an age past.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

(Don't read this, Zeratanis. Or any of the other recent spoilered posts, for that matter. Also contains Zero spoilers.) This is the first time I've seen this theory. It's interesting because most of the other Servants whose identities aren't revealed almost immediately have at least one standard false assumption (Joan of Arc for Saber, Kiritsugu for Archer, a revived Archer for Gilgamesh, something bug-related for True Assassin, Gawain and Mordred for Zero Berserker). Ironically, Joan, Vlad, Gawain, and Mordred all appear, with their identities revealed almost immediately, in Extra and/or Apocrypha, leading to weird indirect spoilers if you play Extra before watching Zero.

More spoilers for F/SN:

Thinking that Saber is Joan of Arc is actually really common when people aren't spoiled on the twist in advance. It's still funny when it happens.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

More spoilers for F/SN:

Thinking that Saber is Joan of Arc is actually really common when people aren't spoiled on the twist in advance. It's still funny when it happens.

That's what I was saying. Everyone assumes Saber is Joan, but this is the first time I've seen it proposed that Rider is Vlad.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

That's what I was saying. Everyone assumes Saber is Joan, but this is the first time I've seen it proposed that Rider is Vlad.

Oh wow I misread that badly. Yeah that is a weird assumption.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

More spoilers for F/SN:

Tell that to Zero Caster.

I never made the Saber = Joan of Arc connection, but I did think at first Gilgamesh was a revived Archer at first. But, that was just a Saber thing since she never figured out he was Gilgamesh when they last met, and if he was Archer, revival completely altered his voice, personality, and appearance, which I thought was a long shot at best. It didn't make any sense why they couldn't just make a new character if he was going to be completely different, which made it more of a "Oh snap" moment for me, but made less and less sense as he continued to talk.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is late because after I finished, my internet connection died as I was writing this :geno:

So, I ended up getting the normal end. :smith: Things work out for the world at large, but Sakura just keeps waiting for something she knows will never come. For everything I dislike about him, Shirou was stupidly selfless until the end. Seeing him lose himself was really painful. He put him through so much to protect Sakura, but just couldn't save himself.

So, I've seen three ends, and 15 bad ends, and it's been a good ride. I think my thoughts may change when I get HF's true end, but right now my favourite route is UBW. I really liked the development of Archer, even if he did turn out to be a dick, Lancer's :black101: death, and Berzerker's death scene was unexpectedly moving. I'm going to get a couple bad ends that I've been told are good, like the one at the end of Fate where you don't go into the basement of the church. I'm going to put it down before finding the rest, and getting the other endings though. I need something(s) to cleanse my palate.

There are a few short ones I want to read before finishing up F/SN. I downloaded True Remembrance a while ago, there's Dysfunctional Systems that I bought recently, and I want to get the endings I missed in Analog before moving on to Hate+.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

unpronounceable posted:

So, I've seen three ends, and 15 bad ends, and it's been a good ride. I think my thoughts may change when I get HF's true end, but right now my favourite route is UBW. I really liked the development of Archer, even if he did turn out to be a dick, Lancer's :black101: death, and Berzerker's death scene was unexpectedly moving. I'm going to get a couple bad ends that I've been told are good, like the one at the end of Fate where you don't go into the basement of the church. I'm going to put it down before finding the rest, and getting the other endings though. I need something(s) to cleanse my palate.

Really the only thing I don't like about HF is its the only route in which Lancer doesn't get to go out like an absolute badass.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One thing I've always found interesting in Fate is how, no matter what character you like, there's no guarantee what happens to your favorite character will be a good thing in the next route. Saber plays a key role in Fate, but her relevance to the story decreases in UBW and even further in Heaven's Feel, where she, aided by Angra Mainyu's influence, gives into her hate and suffering and becomes Alter, leading to death no matter what ending you're getting.

Archer doesn't do much in Fate, but is the star of the show in UBW, and doesn't last that long in Heaven's Feel, either. Berserker is a major villain in Fate, but gets wasted by Gilgamesh in UBW and doesn't accomplish much in HF, either. Conversely, his Master's influence on the plot grows as you go through the game itself. Rider doesn't do much in Fate, gets killed really early in UBW, but makes it all the way to the end in HF, etc. etc.

The only three characters who are consistently important to the story in all three routes are Shirou, Rin, and Kotomine in my estimation. It's a fun way to play with your expectations, since a major character in one route could get get completely sidelined next time, or a minor character could become a major one. Keeps you guessing who will be important this time.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

This is late because after I finished, my internet connection died as I was writing this :geno:

So, I ended up getting the normal end. :smith: Things work out for the world at large, but Sakura just keeps waiting for something she knows will never come. For everything I dislike about him, Shirou was stupidly selfless until the end. Seeing him lose himself was really painful. He put him through so much to protect Sakura, but just couldn't save himself.

There are a few short ones I want to read before finishing up F/SN. I downloaded True Remembrance a while ago, there's Dysfunctional Systems that I bought recently, and I want to get the endings I missed in Analog before moving on to Hate+.

You literally skipped the final resolution of Shirou and two other character plot threads if you automatically reached the HF Normal End.

I'm not kidding, you skipped 3 full and long sequences that are some of the best in the novel, and this is before even the epilogue.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I don't think it's that weird. Rider spoilers It's drawing a bit much on the fruity 'melty blood' bad end, but given the point in the story and how there have been other high profile servants so far, combined with a total lack of knowledge abut rider cept she drinks blood apparently, and anime's love of gender bending, I could see it being something someone grasps at briefly.

I mean, not that he knows per say but saber being who she is is odd given the mythos behind that hero.

I think that most people latch onto 'heros' harder, and thus dracula is a bit out of the box. At this point we know she drinks blood and impales people with weird spikes. There has been more tenuous adaptations of real life figures in anime before.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What I find odd about Rider's identity is that they make a big deal about someone only having to be 'the hero of their own story' in order to be considered a Heroic Spirit, even if they were evil or whatever. But I never saw any story in which a Gorgon could actually be considered a hero of it. Admittedly I'm not a greek mythology buff but I was briefly interested and read through a few of those stories back in the day.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

clearly the existence of fan fiction has drastically altered what constitutes a 'story'

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I think it's safe to ignore whatever rules Nasu sets since he's just going to break them when he feels like it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Well, there's a plot that explains the Grail Wars being a clusterfuck since the 3rd.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

unpronounceable posted:

So, I've seen three ends, and 15 bad ends, and it's been a good ride. I think my thoughts may change when I get HF's true end, but right now my favourite route is UBW.
I think this is the best way to go about it (getting the Normal End before the True End). I know for me it made the True End that much more satisfying.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Reminalt posted:

I think it's safe to ignore whatever rules Nasu sets since he's just going to break them when he feels like it.

I think like half the world building and rule setting in his stories is just so somebody can come along and do something completely contrary to it all for dramatic effect.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pornographic Memory posted:

I think like half the world building and rule setting in his stories is just so somebody can come along and do something completely contrary to it all for dramatic effect.

That happens with a lot of supernatural/fantasy stories that try to be dramatic. They define a set of rules then give the villain, and then the hero(s), some bullshit rule-breaking ability. It's an easy and effective way to contrive drama in supernatural/fantasy stories.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

I think this is the best way to go about it (getting the Normal End before the True End). I know for me it made the True End that much more satisfying.

I think it ruins the tension if you wait two weeks after the Normal End to watch All The Evils in the World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nephilm posted:

I think it ruins the tension if you wait two weeks after the Normal End to watch All The Evils in the World.

So I should go back right now, and get the true end? If it's that important to have the context fresh in my head, I can put off the other VNs I was planning on moving on to.

• Locked thread