Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KittyEmpress posted:

Varric needs to pass down his badassitude to the next generation. And Aveline deserves a happy ending.

I don't think any attempts with Bianca are going to turn out :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
Aveline and Varric are pretty much the only two character from DA2 that should be allowed to reproduce. Sebastian might not totally cock it up, but he's savin' it for Andraste or whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

necessary voodoo posted:

Aveline and Varric are pretty much the only two character from DA2 that should be allowed to reproduce. Sebastian might not totally cock it up, but he's savin' it for Andraste or whatever.

He might have kids from earlier, though, hypocrite bastard. Ohhh, he can have a history of drinkin' and whorin', but not youuu.

Also, it's kind of weird that the only sex-specific love interest is the one who wouldn't even be wrangling your nards anyway?

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
I know in the Mark of the Assassin DLC if you romanced him they mention a wedding, which I'm pretty sure means he HAD to have put out if they wanted it to be official in any meaningful way.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
^^ Nope. It's a 'chaste marrage'. Clergy of Andraste are allowed to get married, but they still aren't allowed to have sex if they do. It does allow him to needle Carver about being his brother-in-law though.

The Crotch posted:

Hey, can we talk about Gamlen for a minute? I mean, sure, he gambled away your mom's house, but holy poo poo is your family ever terrible to him. The Hawkes spend over a year living in his giant-rear end house, never once cleaning it, never once paying rent, never once paying for their own food.

I always felt really bad for that dude.

This came up in the DA2 LP that's going on right now. The general consensus was that Gamlen's kind of a scumbag, but he he does his best to make up for that. Also, that Leandra needs to get the hell off her high horse.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 30, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well, she does get thrown off her high horse eventually. Just not in the way you'd expect :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gamlen is also the only family that will never disappoint you by dying. Thanks a lot, Malcolm, Bethany, Carver, and mom :colbert:.

Also, the one redeeming moment of the Anders romance (only with dude-Hawke though) is your uncle getting all up into your butt business.

quote:

So, I've heard you let that apostate live at your place. I guess I don't have to ask which one of you's the girl.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 30, 2013

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
After DA2, I found myself totally disinterested, which was awful after DA:O, which is probably my favorite RPG ever after Final Fantasy 6. But, Varric was the high point of 2, so maybe him coming back will help boost the story a bit.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

But, Varric was the high point of 2, so maybe him coming back will help boost the story a bit.

There were a lot of people who liked Anders in Awakening who were excited to see him back in DA2... just saying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As risk averse as Bioware probably is right now about the Dragon Age franchise, and as much time as they're investing in this project, I sincerely suspect they're going to try and keep playing Varric as true to his previous appearance as possible, especially since he has the same writer as in DA2, which was not the case with Anders (who went from being written by Gaider to being written by Hepler.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Penakoto posted:

There were a lot of people who liked Anders in Awakening who were excited to see him back in DA2... just saying.

"Anders? And Justice? All right!! :dance:"

I didn't like Anders in Awakenings so the tears were pretty fun.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Stroth posted:

^^ Nope. It's a 'chaste marrage'. Clergy of Andraste are allowed to get married, but they still aren't allowed to have sex if they do. It does allow him to needle Carver about being his brother-in-law though.

The chaste-marriage thing should only flag if you friendship pathed Sebastien into being a whiny chantry baby who lives in the Grand Cleric's basement. If you Rival pathed him into retaking Starkhaven, he mentions that the Hawke-Vael union could become the most powerful dynasty in the Free Marches if he manages to retake Starkhaven (while hinting that you should become Viscount of Kirkwall). I believe one of the DLC party banters does not distinguish between the two however.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I'll give the writer's enough credit to say this is intentional, the same with Fenris hating slavery but also wishing he could kill all mages. They're both hypocritical assholes basically. What likable characters.

It makes sense in a way if you compare being born a mage to being born a hereditary monarch. In both situations you inherit heaps of power through simple birthright, regardless of if you're actually able to handle it responsibly or not, much to the possible chagrin of the rest of the world if you're a massive fuckwad. In particular, being born a mage is apparently nearly one-in-the-same as being born a noble in Tevinter because being born powerful mage there means you will become a somebody in the Imperium. It would make sense that a born slave would be anti-hereditary monarchy without being hypocritical, it would make sense that a born slave would be anti-mage in this context as well, particularly considering Denarius' foul treatment of him and the general mistreatment of ordinary people by their magisters at Tevinter.

Motherfucking Fenris just wants to guillotine errybody who dresses in ridiculous robes and hats. Vive la révolution. Well, he seems to be more pro-heavily guarded Circle for innocents and more about the guillotine for anyone who has already abused their power.

E: It also helps to remember that Fenris also gets to be a companion in DA2, a game where every single mage except Hawke or Bethany is mouth-frothing insane with bad magic.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 30, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The fact that one of your first interactions with him (when you invite him along) ends with him trying to make you seem like you were flirting, and it gives you rivalry points to say you aren't should have colored my opinion of him worse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My main fear is that DA:I won't give me a romance option that's as anti-mage as Fenris.

I mean romance options are pretty much why people play Bioware games right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

My main fear is that DA:I won't give me a romance option that's as anti-mage as Fenris.

That's why they have all those sexy, sexy homeless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HenessyHero posted:

E: It also helps to remember that Fenris also gets to be a companion in DA2, a game where every single mage except Hawke or Bethany is mouth-frothing insane with bad magic.

Also, mages are actively trying to re-enslave him until whenever you finally kill Danarius in act 3.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

This is really your main worry about this game?

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

I'm hoping for two people that were made into some two-headed monstrosity by an evil magister, and friend romancing one immediately means you're rival romancing the other.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MoreLikeTen posted:

I really hope the sex enya is good this time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MoreLikeTen posted:

Yes.

No, my main worry is that dwarfphobic SCUM Gaider will deny the collective love of the masses for Varric once again :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yes.

No, my main worry is that dwarfphobic SCUM Gaider will deny the collective love of the masses for Varric once again :swoon:

They really owe aimo this much.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HenessyHero posted:

I can name at least one mage that is not mouth-frothing insane with bad magic. It is that half-elven dreamer kid you rescue in the Fade. And depending on your view, the dalish keeper is not insane as well.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I can name at least one mage that is not mouth-frothing insane with bad magic. It is that half-elven dreamer kid you rescue in the Fade. And depending on your view, the dalish keeper is not insane as well.

The Dalish Keeper absorbs a pride demon in Act 3 for Reasons. Dream kid also possibly ends up committing suicide (by Hawke) or getting possessed by a demon, but it is interesting to note that the best case scenario for his well-being was going to bad old Tevinter for training.

The only other non-crazy named mage I can think of off the top of my head was was that loser Orlesian Apprentice who escapes the circle only to go around telling people he's a scary blood mage, hoping it'll get him laid at a tavern.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
No doubt Faynriel is going to be at least a minor character in Inquisition with the driving plot feature being a giant tear into the Fade, which is pretty cool because his sidequest chain was actually one of the best ones in Dragon Age II, even if it ended so stupidly.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
There's also Alain, the kid from the run away apostate mage quest in the first act. It's also hinted later on that he gets raped in the Kirkwall circle, depending on what you did in the quest.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

necessary voodoo posted:

There's also Alain, the kid from the run away apostate mage quest in the first act. It's also hinted later on that he gets raped in the Kirkwall circle, depending on what you did in the quest.

Aw I didn't know that :smith:, I usually turn him over the Templars at the end because I wasn't cool with him being party to a blood mage conspiracy to put your bro/sis/bff in a magical coma to lure Hawke out (though, he only thinks they're going to dupe you, not kill you afterwards).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Iron Bull is a Qunari. Maybe he has Qunari opinions on the treatment of mages.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A few pages back, but...

KittyEmpress posted:

Meanwhile what we have seen in game in DAO was that the only time blood magic really goes wrong is when the practitioner is under a ton of duress. The creepy mage in Warden's Keep never lost control in hundreds of years, the only time he did was when he was under significant threat.

The demons were too powerful and he lost control. This is one of the first things Avernus tells you about the ritual. He regains some level of control over the tear, but not before everyone - friend and enemy - is dead.

Tuvok's werewolf ritual was also blood magic and hosed everyone over unnecessarily for centuries.

KittyEmpress posted:

It depends, because there isn't really anything that suggests alchemy and magic are similar, and learning one helps the other.

There's an alchemy lab in the Circle Tower in DA:O.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mages might learn alchemy because lyrium potions are really, really helpful for mages, or use it in magical experiments. Outside of specific applications, though, magic and alchemy are unconnected. Alchemy is just herbal medicine and chemistry upped to videogame levels.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gameplay/combat magic is instantaneous sparkly effects, but the big cutscene spells have always involved ritual and symbols and props. Avernus, Jowan, Tuvok, Circle Tower blood magic bonanza... The Warden's initiation is alchemical & a form of blood magic.

I'm not sure why anyone wold draw a distinct line between alchemy and magic even in this one specific series. They're always related.

edit: In DA:O your magic stat determines how effective potions are!

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 30, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

necessary voodoo posted:

By a guy with muttonchops, no less.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Where did all this Iron Bull / other companion information leak from or is that all just rumors?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

sassassin posted:

Gameplay/combat magic is instantaneous sparkly effects, but the big cutscene spells have always involved ritual and symbols and props. Avernus, Jowan, Tuvok, Circle Tower blood magic bonanza... The Warden's initiation is alchemical & a form of blood magic.

I'm not sure why anyone wold draw a distinct line between alchemy and magic even in this one specific series. They're always related.

edit: In DA:O your magic stat determines how effective potions are!

The specific plot point in question from DA2 only requires that it be plausible that Hawke wouldn't know a specific bomb recipe or its ingredients. It's not a plot hole just because a case for it being plausible that he would recognize the ingredients could be made. He didn't know, this isn't implausible in light of what we know about Hawke, bad things happened as a result.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

steakmancer posted:

Where did all this Iron Bull / other companion information leak from or is that all just rumors?

I mostly saw stuff on tumblr back in the previous thread. Don't have the links and I have no idea how to use tumblr, but most of it was leaks of images from magazines that should be out now. You can probably find it on the Dragon Age wiki.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

steakmancer posted:

Here's a picture of a really old survey Bioware sent out asking people to rate if they'd like to see these people in the game. They linked some of the descriptions as well, like the Iron Bull:

A question for people- who would you *want* to see returning to DAI as either a party member or cameo? Choose out of prior party members from the last two games, so no cheating and saying Sandal. Or do you already have your choice confirmed?

edit: Here's the Iron Bull description that I dug up: ""The Iron Bull: The Iron Bull is a long way from home, and prefers it that way. A slap in the face of typically humorless Qunari, he loves drinking,killing, and looting-not necessarily in that order. The head of a vicious mercenary company, he’s known for excellent pay and brutal punishment. It’s been a ten year party, but the Bull may find that old loyalties die hard."

Bioware is denying the survey is real however, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Leelee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 30, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leelee posted:

A question for people- who would you *want* to see returning to DAI as either a party member or cameo? Choose out of prior party members from the last two games, so no cheating and saying Sandal. Or do you already have your choice confirmed?

The best party member of DA2 is already returning in Inquisition. Ditto for DA:O. I would prefer all new party members, with the exception of Varric of course, so I don't want anybody else returning as a follower. But for cameos, I don't really care. The only party member I want to return as a cameo is Liliana, in her role as an agent of the current Divine of the Chantry. The others can get a nod or a bigger role, as long as I can choose that Anders died at the end of DA2.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Leelee posted:

Sten, Oghren and Zevran from DA:O, and Nathanial from Awakening, all characters I liked a whole lot who haven't been ruined like Anders. A cameo is good enough, I can't really think of a good reason for any of them to make a comeback as party members.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sten and Iron Bull, with a Qunari PC. :allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'd like Sten back, they haven't really offered another character like him in the series yet. Having two Qunari companions would be cool as well instead of a ton of elves or humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Leelee posted:

who would you *want* to see returning to DAI as either a party member or cameo?

Loghain, I guess. Shale. I could hit some of DA2's cast returning after a makeover. Seeing Merrill all grown up and independent could be pretty cool.

• Locked thread