Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

(serisouly, its such a minor, esoteric, bit of lore that is akin to knowing what Princess Di had for breakfest the day she died.)

Never say this to a Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah I made a 54 40 or fight joke at work yesterday. It's not that obscure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeTftBlOVY

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

jiharlequinade posted:

I'm Canadian and I've never heard of it.

And now having heard of it I don't care about it.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

jiharlequinade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RgubAo29w
"One Day In Your Life" 54-40

:canada:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Strudel Man posted:

v:shobon:v I'm pretty ignorant of history generally and I recognized it.

I recognized it because they taught it to me in 5th grade. I am American however.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strudel Man posted:

v:shobon:v I'm pretty ignorant of history generally and I recognized it.
Though I wouldn't call myself ignorant of history, I don't really find modern American history particularly exciting, and yet I still got the joke. The quote is associated with an important part of the expansion of the US, and the rapprochement of the US and the British Empire, which would color their relationship to this day, it's not exactly as irrelevant as knowing what Di had for breakfast. Sure, I can understand why someone would be unaware of this, but you're bound to pick it up if you have any interest in 19th century history.

(Neither American, British or Canadian.)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hey, you guys got any neat puns about the Whiskey Tax Rebellion? I bet there are some real knee slappers there.

razorrozar posted:

I recognized it because they taught it to me in 5th grade. I am American however.

Did you live in the Northwest-ish area? I could see how places near there would go over such a thing in more detail.
Pretty much all that US Versus Canada/UK business was rather glossed over. Sure , sure we had the Manifest destiny stuff, war of 1812(that is something else that no one cares about) but mostly you skip over the years until the Civil war. (War of Northern Aggression, m i rite?)

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Sep 29, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Not enough people in this thread have watched Wag the Dog.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only Canadian/British/American border dispute history I remember is the Aroostook War, mainly because it happened where I grew up. My favorite piece of info is the only casualty of the war was a cow that died from a stray bullet that fell from the sky after being fired in the air in celebration.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Android Bicyclist posted:

The only Canadian/British/American border dispute history I remember is the Aroostook War, mainly because it happened where I grew up. My favorite piece of info is the only casualty of the war was a cow that died from a stray bullet that fell from the sky after being fired in the air in celebration.

Very similar to the Pig War of 1859 between the US and Britain/Canada, in the Pacific Northwest. In that case, the only casualty was the pig for which the war was named.

It was actually a follow-up to the 54-40 border dispute - they agreed on the 49th parallel and that Vancouver Island would go to Britain/Canada, but they didn't resolve the ownership of the San Juan Islands in between the US mainland and Canadian Vancouver Island, leading to the Pig War border dispute.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, it's less " know American history" and more "spent 6 years getting a worthless American History Degree".

(serisouly, its such a minor, esoteric, bit of lore that is akin to knowing what Princess Di had for breakfest the day she died.)

Haha man your right history is pretty worthless!!!!

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Shuuuuuut uuuuup goooooooons

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey, you guys got any neat puns about the Whiskey Tax Rebellion? I bet there are some real knee slappers there.

Did you live in the Northwest-ish area? I could see how places near there would go over such a thing in more detail.
Pretty much all that US Versus Canada/UK business was rather glossed over. Sure , sure we had the Manifest destiny stuff, war of 1812(that is something else that no one cares about) but mostly you skip over the years until the Civil war. (War of Northern Aggression, m i rite?)

Nope, South Carolina. 49th ranked state in education. As far from Oregon as possible without being Florida. Still learned about it in school.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
The best war is obviously the Toledo War of 1835-6 between Ohio and Michigan. No deaths, one wounded (a sheriff was stabbed with a pen knife), and when Ohio won, we got to keep Toledo. So really, we lost.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, it's less " know American history" and more "spent 6 years getting a worthless American History Degree".

Yeah, it's really not nearly as obscure as you're making it out to be. I have no special education or interest in history, and I got the reference, right away.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I knew about 54-40 or Fight solely from reading Wikipedia. :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

The best war is obviously the Toledo War of 1835-6 between Ohio and Michigan. No deaths, one wounded (a sheriff was stabbed with a pen knife), and when Ohio won, we got to keep Toledo. So really, we lost.

Yeah, the UP is awesome. We definitely got the better end of that deal. We should start more wars with Ohio. :getin:

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Probably some coffee and donuts, seeing as how several hours later you can crash pretty hard.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

jiharlequinade posted:

I'm Canadian and never heard of it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Blue waffles.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Android Bicyclist posted:

It took me a second read to realise they didn't fire the cow into the air in celebration, which hit a stray bullet on the way down.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite place for motorboating.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Maytag posted:

Shuuuuuut uuuuup goooooooons

I recognize it as Breaking bad but whaaaath the heeeeelllll is gooooing oooonnnn.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
They have on each other's set makeup.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Slim Killington posted:

They have on each other's set makeup.

They've done a couple pictures where they swap costumes, but this is just a photoshopped version of a promo picture.

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
In case anybody missed it a while back, here's a whole gallery of pretty girls making ugly faces.

http://imgur.com/gallery/fxC1M

edit: I guess there's a whole archive of them:
http://imgur.com/r/PrettyGirlsUglyFaces

particle409 has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Sep 30, 2013

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
How do you make yourself go wall-eyed like that? Thats just hilarious.

No fair, you're using sellotape and a cats rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Raithe posted:

Cross your eyes and look off to the side.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Raithe posted:

:catstare: I imagine going to bed with the left, and waking up to the right be like a groundhog seeing it's shadow. Libido wouldn't come back out for 6 weeks.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Raithe posted:

Well, I taught myself how to do it and it hurts. Just cross your eyes and and sort of force one eye to loom elsewhere.

....I love making ugly faces.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So that's what @meganamram looks like :allears:

(click to make big)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

particle409 posted:

In case anybody missed it a while back, here's a whole gallery of pretty girls making ugly faces.

http://imgur.com/gallery/fxC1M

edit: I guess there's a whole archive of them:
http://imgur.com/r/PrettyGirlsUglyFaces

Thank you for this link - it made my night.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Ragequit posted:

Thank you for this link - it made my night.

Werewolf?

Dexter Stratton
May 25, 2007

We happen to have this on our shelf:

It has a pretty rad cover too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Low hanging fruit?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
When your ball is in the sand, then you will have my permission to chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Dexter Stratton posted:

We happen to have this on our shelf:

It has a pretty rad cover too.

Holy poo poo, shut up about American History in the Funny Pictures thread.

Rapman the Cook has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Sep 30, 2013

• Locked thread