Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Geirskogul posted:

Is there any talk about the main show? All this about a live show I can't see makes me sad. It's like a bunch of cool kids have a secret club or something.

There's some on tumblr but it is rife with spoilers. Just a casual glance into the tag right now is a bad idea if you don't want to learn basically all the important plot points on accident. Even with "spoiler/spoilers" on blacklist. I tried to just see some pictures and general reactions and had to back out before I got very far. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

iostream.h posted:

I want you guys to do more limited edition t-shirts.

Seconding this question, are there any more limited shirts in the works?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is it odd that I was surprised that Cecile and Carlos were gay? I always thought the reason Cecile talked about Carlos like he did because everyone did, like Carlos was some kind of Nymph or Siren or Scientists were like unicorns in Night Vale and are considered precious.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it odd that I was surprised that Cecile and Carlos were gay? I always thought the reason Cecile talked about Carlos like he did because everyone did, like Carlos was some kind of Nymph or Siren or Scientists were like unicorns in Night Vale and are considered precious.
Kind of... I mean, Cecil basically screamed "gay" to me but then I've got the advantage of acquired gaydar. Carlos on the other hand, I had assumed he was straight until the show said otherwise. I was completely ready for poor Cecil's feelings to go unrequited :(

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Feeble posted:

Kind of... I mean, Cecil basically screamed "gay" to me but then I've got the advantage of acquired gaydar. Carlos on the other hand, I had assumed he was straight until the show said otherwise. I was completely ready for poor Cecil's feelings to go unrequited :(
I always kind of figured Carlos was straight up until the one year mark at which point he kind of figured out that love is love or something.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BigRed0427 posted:

I think that was part of the joke. The listener was supposed to think that it was just one other weird thing about Night Vale. But nope, turns out Cecil just had a massive crush on him.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Along those same lines, I figured Carlos didn't think about Cecil much, and then after The Phone Call, when Carlos and Cecil met for coffee, Carlos told Cecil to stop talking about him on the radio, but they could be friends. After the Phone Call, Cecil doesn't talk about Carlos again until One Year Later, which is 9 episodes (and like 4.5 months) later. That would give them enough time to actually become friends, and Carlos would probably relent on the talking about him on the radio thing a bit. I've also seen a fan theory that Cecil dated Earl Hanlan (the Eternal Scout master) in there for a bit, which is why Earl said that they could have had something before the Eternal Scout ceremony (and that maybe that started to turn Carlos' feelings towards romantic.)

Probably overthinking it a bit, but I like that theory.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Seconding this question, are there any more limited shirts in the works?

yes

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

loving hell.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I actually found out about the show from this video (for some reason I never noticed it right here). The Idea Channel video totally interested me, looking forward to checking this out.

Also if anybody here doesn't regularly watch the "Idea Channel" you really should, it's one of the better Youtube channels.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I can already hear the Topatoco servers groaning in pain. Hoping for some hoodies because I need more "Workin' on it" orders to help maintain the eternal reprinting cycle.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Why are you allowing your guy to work for Cassandra Clare. She's terrible. Like, not a good person especially in Internet slapfights, and definitely a terrible author.

Edit: I am grouchy because literature is dead

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Atma McCuddles posted:

Why are you allowing your guy to work for Cassandra Clare. She's terrible. Like, not a good person especially in Internet slapfights, and definitely a terrible author.

Edit: I am grouchy because literature is dead

I work with Cecil, I don't own him, and I don't "allow" him to do anything.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

maxnmona posted:

I work with Cecil, I don't own him, and I don't "allow" him to do anything.

Well there goes my fanfic. Thanks a lot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

50 Shades of Night Vale.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
All of them are Void

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, the first Night Vale fangame has been created. On the plus side, it's a tabletop RPG instead of a video game.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

MariusLecter posted:

I like to think that everyone writing fanfic will eventually be found by City Council and be ceremoniously dispatched for violating the ban on writing.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Someone made a cake

http://thatcakegirl.tumblr.com/post/60613009199/my-latest-cake-welcome-to-nightvale-based-off

Is it useful at all to suggest songs for the weather if am in no way affiliated with the band?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Annakie posted:

Along those same lines, I figured Carlos didn't think about Cecil much, and then after The Phone Call, when Carlos and Cecil met for coffee, Carlos told Cecil to stop talking about him on the radio, but they could be friends. After the Phone Call, Cecil doesn't talk about Carlos again until One Year Later, which is 9 episodes (and like 4.5 months) later. That would give them enough time to actually become friends, and Carlos would probably relent on the talking about him on the radio thing a bit. I've also seen a fan theory that Cecil dated Earl Hanlan (the Eternal Scout master) in there for a bit, which is why Earl said that they could have had something before the Eternal Scout ceremony (and that maybe that started to turn Carlos' feelings towards romantic.)

If we're talking about favourite fan theories, I like the one about Steve Carlsberg being Cecil's ex.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

aricoarena posted:

Is it useful at all to suggest songs for the weather if am in no way affiliated with the band?

No, the website says they have over a year's worth of weather already planned out.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been obsessively listening to this for a few weeks now after hearing about it on io9 and I had no idea it was made by goons, let alone Maxnmona! :o

Seriously, as a guy who's been listening to podcasts for almost 10 years, this is my favorite of all time. I'm actually JEALOUS I didn't come up with this concept myself! Keep up the good work!

bengraven fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 28, 2013

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Annakie posted:

He also mentioned a beautiful young man from Luftnarp in 'Memories of Europe'.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Woebin posted:

If we're talking about favourite fan theories, I like the one about Steve Carlsberg being Cecil's ex.

I always figured him or the "Apache" Tracker could be his ex's.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Woebin posted:

Blew my mind here.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Listened to the first three episodes today, and so far I really like it a lot. Looking forward to blowing through this.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I always figured him or the "Apache" Tracker could be his ex's.

That jerk! :argh:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Idea: When the live episode is released for sale, sell it on a data CD (and/or a downloadable archive) containing encypted files and weird text, image etc. files. This CD/archive is a self-contained ARG-style game that must be solved in order to decrypt the included live episode. Possibly the first podcast episode for which someone may need a walkthrough.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Wow it's getting hard to avoid spoilers for the live show. The two minutes I listened to were tremendous.

Maxnmona are you going to be at the October 10th show?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Wow it's getting hard to avoid spoilers for the live show. The two minutes I listened to were tremendous.

Maxnmona are you going to be at the October 10th show?

I will be at every live show we currently have scheduled

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

I will be at every live show we currently have scheduled

That's awesome! I'll look for a dog in a shirt.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Voting for the T-shirt design contest has started. I personally don't really like any of the Cecil/Carlos shirts that made it to finals (I'd been really hoping for Lawrence Gullo's design, personally), but at least I voted for the intern shirt in the second category.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Well, I'm glad everyone is being an adult about this T-shirt contest.

http://sentientabyss.tumblr.com/

quote:

It has just been brought to my attention that the creators of Welcome to Night Vale are hosting a fan-design t-shirt contest. Right now, a shirt featuring Native Cecil is in the semi-finals. THIS IS HUGE. THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO COMBAT THE WHITEWASHING AND WHITE SUPREMACY THAT CONTINGENTS OF OUR FANDOM HAVE PERPETUATED. IF WE CAN GET THIS SHIRT TO BE CHOSEN AS THE DESIGN, WE WILL BE AFFIRMED IN A WAY THAT THE MILITANTLY WHITE!CECIL HEADCANON SUPPORTERS CANNOT DENY.

IF YOU VALUE THIS MONUMENTAL OCCURRENCE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE FOR THE SHIRT DESIGN BY MYISHA HAYNES. EVEN IF YOU DON’T LISTEN TO WTNV, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS.

I cannot convey to you how much this matters. The battle for representation is so incredibly frustrating, but even with a problematic fanbase, Welcome to Night Vale has had an incredibly positive impact in terms of representation of people of colour, and of queer identities. The creators and voice actors have made me feel incredibly affirmed as a fan, and their impact is monumental.

Please support this. There are people actively trying to prevent the shirt design from winning, and I don’t think I can stand that. If you value non-white depictions of Cecil, please vote now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't take Tumblr seriously. They're good for popularizing a thing, but holy poo poo do they manage slapfights over the dumbest things.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't take Tumblr seriously. They're good for popularizing a thing, but holy poo poo do they manage slapfights over the dumbest things.

I just don't really want them to take a T-shirt contest as proof that they're right. They're trolls who don't even know they're trolls. It defeats the point of trolling.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Tumblr gonna Tumbl.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Woebin posted:

Voting for the T-shirt design contest has started. I personally don't really like any of the Cecil/Carlos shirts that made it to finals (I'd been really hoping for Lawrence Gullo's design, personally), but at least I voted for the intern shirt in the second category.

The cool thing about contests is we can only use designs that were actually submitted to us. That it simply exists online isn't enough.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I picked the one by Melissa Shaw and the Intern shirt. I liked the way Melissa's shirt incorporated the eye, while also keeping the appearance of Cecil and Carlos obscured.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

The cool thing about contests is we can only use designs that were actually submitted to us. That it simply exists online isn't enough.
It was submitted! Was it lost somewhere in transit? Lawrence is a friend of mine and I know for a fact that he submitted it. He only shared it elsewhere online after submissions were closed to make sure nobody would steal it and submit it in their own name.

Edit: Checked with him and he definitely remembers submitting it. Of course if it just didn't qualify for finals that's one thing, but if it was lost somewhere on the way that's just really unfortunate.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally caught up on the thread and it really is crazy to see how the show caught on since this got posted. I did manage to get one of my friends hooked after I "forgot" 11 cd's worth of Night Vale in his car so there's that.