Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Sockington posted:

6hours until I head out for my initiation. Been patiently waiting since spring for this date.

Congratulations brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Sockington posted:

6hours until I head out for my initiation. Been patiently waiting since spring for this date.

that's awesome! what a great experience. Have fun and let us know what you think (like that needs to be said).

We're actually initiating 2 guys tonight in a nearby lodge, 1 of whom has been waiting since spring too. Seeing the look on a newly initiated brothers face never gets old.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There were actually two of us tonight as well. I went first to have the opportunity at the fresh goat.

Was kind of nice to get to watch the second guy run through as I picked up on a lot more without having to focus on what I was doing or saying.

Oh, and one last thing... brothers

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sockington posted:

There were actually two of us tonight as well. I went first to have the opportunity at the fresh goat.

Was kind of nice to get to watch the second guy run through as I picked up on a lot more without having to focus on what I was doing or saying.

Glad you finally went through, brother :)

Hopefully you enjoyed it and it made an impact on you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sockington posted:

Welcome, Brother.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Welcome, brother!!

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Sockington posted:

Congrats and welcome, brother!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I follow this thread mostly because my granddad was a Shriner and I'm interested in Masonry, even though I'm not eligible to join. (drat the requirement that you believe in a higher power!)

Anyway, this was in the state paper today, and I thought you guys might find it interesting. It's a picture of a lodge in a tiny Arkansas town from the 1930s. Please forgive the poor quality -- I don't have a scanner.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Excellent to hear. I always do love seeing someone come into the thread as they're thinking about petitioning, and taking their journey through there and up to initiation and beyond. Welcome, Brother.
Hopefully seeing someone else go through what you've just gone through will help with immediate questions and provide a bit of clarity. Be active as possible as you can in your lodge, take in what you can and get the most out of the craft - the old saying of 'you get out what you put in' applies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ain't no party like a Grand Lodge party 'cause a Grand Lodge don't stop.

...at least, it certainly feels that way...

Pretty cool though, being in a room with ~500+ other Masons. I got to talking to a few other guys I know who are into the more "esoteric" side of things, and there's some really interesting things going on. There's a Traditional Observance Lodge having its very first meeting next month, which I'm looking forward to. A number of people are noticing a split between the BBQ cookout Masons and the serious philosophical Masons. Or at least, that's how a brother put it.

Always interesting to hear people talk about Masonic politics at GL :)

In local-er news, the closest temple building to me just shut its doors after 100 years or so. It's being bought by a Publix :smith:

But a time capsule was found in the cornerstone!
http://m.journalnow.com/news/local/article_80907c66-1ffd-11e3-81b1-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

THAT's pretty cool.

Alright, coffee break is over, back to the GL.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What if you're a philosophically inclined brother who also does a mean smoked brisket while discussing symbolism in Gnostic texts? Less jokingly, I do wish we had a lodge around here focused on that side of the craft, but things are bad membership wise in NSW. We can barely sustain 'standard' social, for lack of a better term, lodges in many of our rural areas.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Loomer posted:

What if you're a philosophically inclined brother who also does a mean smoked brisket while discussing symbolism in Gnostic texts? Less jokingly, I do wish we had a lodge around here focused on that side of the craft, but things are bad membership wise in NSW. We can barely sustain 'standard' social, for lack of a better term, lodges in many of our rural areas.

Which side of the craft in NSW do you mean Loomer. I'm a current WM here in NSW, and can point you to all the different style of lodges here in Sydney, be the strict by the book ones, the fly by the seat of your pants ones, and the ones that are pushing the envelope when it comes to philosophy. If you are a Master Mason, and do want to discuss philosophy, history, esoteric ritual and would like to spend time with younger brethren who mix it up with paganism and long dead religions, let me know, I can point you in the right direction.

As to good BBQ Masons, you have to go up the coast, Lodge Tomaree just past Newcastle are a lodge with older Masons and they're right near the beach, they know how to BBQ and are the greatest hosts when it comes to visiting masons.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The more esoterically inclined side. Up here in the Northern Rivers we don't have any lodges focusing on it, to my knowledge, nor the members to cultivate it. The closest would be the Red Lodge on the coast near here. Mind you it's very possible I'm just not in the know about them since I'm first degree (not for long. Next meeting I'm being passed, if I can remember my answers etc), but it's a complaint some of the MMs have shared with me as well.

Maybe things are a bit different down in the city, though. Up here I think we're likely to stay this way for a while since membership has been so bad we've had to fold five or six Lodges into each other over the last few years just to keep them going.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Loomer posted:

The more esoterically inclined side. Up here in the Northern Rivers we don't have any lodges focusing on it, to my knowledge, nor the members to cultivate it. The closest would be the Red Lodge on the coast near here. Mind you it's very possible I'm just not in the know about them since I'm first degree (not for long. Next meeting I'm being passed, if I can remember my answers etc), but it's a complaint some of the MMs have shared with me as well.

The current Grandmaster shut down a lot of the talk back in 2012 with the following edict:

5. Regular Freemasonry does not permit within it any form of esotericism which encompasses or tends towards – occultism, sorcery, alchemy, astrology, profane mysticism, transcendentalism, supernaturalism, druidism, rosicrucianism, satanism or any concept or movement related to any of these. The presentation, endorsement and/or promotion of such subjects in any Lodge holding under the UGL of NSW and ACT whether the Lodge be open, adjourned, at refreshment or closed or at any connected or associated Lodge function should be deemed irregular and is strictly forbidden.

That said, a lot of lodges got their backs up and decided to keep on doing what they like doing. So far no one has been punished for being esoteric in NSW.

Wait until you hit your MM degree. Once you have that. Then you can start hunting for the more esoteric groups. The closest Societa Rosicruciana to you is in the Hunter Region, which would still be a bit of travelling for you, but they meet four times a year and the rest of the work is done by email groups. These guys are fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How could a Masonic Grand Lodge condemn esotericism?? What is the point of Masonic teaching if not philosophy and spirituality??

Edit-- Temet, are you familiar with the AMORC? I'm skeptical of such an open Rosicrucian group, but it might be cool.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

QPZIL posted:

How could a Masonic Grand Lodge condemn esotericism?? What is the point of Masonic teaching if not philosophy and spirituality??

Edit-- Temet, are you familiar with the AMORC? I'm skeptical of such an open Rosicrucian group, but it might be cool.

The Grand Lodge published an additional clarification later in the quarterly magazine (I think. Possibly just on the website) that only bans esotericism that doesn't relate to masonry. Exactly where you draw the line between the parts of esotericism that do relate to Masonry and the parts that don't is a mystery to everyone still.

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

The current Grandmaster shut down a lot of the talk back in 2012 with the following edict:

5. Regular Freemasonry does not permit within it any form of esotericism which encompasses or tends towards – occultism, sorcery, alchemy, astrology, profane mysticism, transcendentalism, supernaturalism, druidism, rosicrucianism, satanism or any concept or movement related to any of these. The presentation, endorsement and/or promotion of such subjects in any Lodge holding under the UGL of NSW and ACT whether the Lodge be open, adjourned, at refreshment or closed or at any connected or associated Lodge function should be deemed irregular and is strictly forbidden.

That said, a lot of lodges got their backs up and decided to keep on doing what they like doing. So far no one has been punished for being esoteric in NSW.

Wait until you hit your MM degree. Once you have that. Then you can start hunting for the more esoteric groups. The closest Societa Rosicruciana to you is in the Hunter Region, which would still be a bit of travelling for you, but they meet four times a year and the rest of the work is done by email groups. These guys are fun.

Thanks Temet. I'll keep them in mind for later on.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Loomer posted:

The Grand Lodge published an additional clarification later in the quarterly magazine (I think. Possibly just on the website) that only bans esotericism that doesn't relate to masonry. Exactly where you draw the line between the parts of esotericism that do relate to Masonry and the parts that don't is a mystery to everyone still.
Especially when the initial statement mentions Rosicrucianism.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Speaking of esotericism, any fans of Wilmshurst here ?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
I have three more days until my initiation and i want to learn more about masonry while i wait. Anyone have any links to informative youtube videos? I found a couple where benjamin franklin talks about freemasonry. Any other historical type stuff?

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

I've heard of them, but don't know any members (probably do, but they won't out themselves), usually I only join groups that have people I know in them.
Because I joined the Societa Rosicruciana in Scotia first, AMORC lost out, as anything I get out of them would be most probably end up being a duplication of ideas, rather than new ones.
They probably are pretty cool though, so it wouldn't hurt to have a chat to a couple of them QPZIL.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Colton posted:

I have three more days until my initiation and i want to learn more about masonry while i wait. Anyone have any links to informative youtube videos? I found a couple where benjamin franklin talks about freemasonry. Any other historical type stuff?

I don't have any handy, but I would advise, as others have, that you avoid anything about the rituals until you've done each one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The less you know, the better it is. I kept my reading strictly to this thread and the old one. I'm glad I did as it didn't ruin anything.

ex
Nov 27, 2002

it all comes down to the fine arts

Sockington posted:

The less you know, the better it is. I kept my reading strictly to this thread and the old one. I'm glad I did as it didn't ruin anything.

I also did this before my initiation. I think it was the best decision for myself. Just relax and have fun!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The trick is to get books on Goat Care and Leather Maintenance but only read them after you're initiated so you can get to work ASAP.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

The trick is to get books on Goat Care and Leather Maintenance but only read them after you're initiated so you can get to work ASAP.

These work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Goats-For-Dummies-ebook/dp/B003AU7DTI

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Latex-Care-Looking-Great/dp/1881943003

Skip the stuff about selecting a goat breed. The Grand Lodge assignments are incontestable.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

all this talk of goats is starting to really get me worried. You guys are just joking, right? How would I explain to my wife that I smell like goat? I promised her those days were over...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All will be revealed, don't stress about it. Although you may want to bring some deodorant. Also, take out your nipple piercing before you show up.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Shower before and wear clean underwear too.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

I'll be coming straight from work, so I won't be wearing any underwear... this is troubling...

on a serious note, thought I'd say where I'm getting initiated.. Tuality Lodge no. 6 in Hillsboro, OR. anyone in this tread a member there? I'll see you tomorrow!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Colton posted:

I'll be coming straight from work, so I won't be wearing any underwear... this is troubling...
Wear underwear. If nothing else wear underwear.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 3, 2013

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Wear underwear. If nothing else wear underwear.

During one of the EA... um, walks... my cousin's "special pants" came unfastened and dropped. He was very glad to be wearing new, clean undies. The whole loge now knows whether he's a boxer or brief man. ;)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You could get away without underwear where I am. Regional differences in practice are interesting stuff.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Effingham posted:

During one of the EA... um, walks... my cousin's "special pants" came unfastened and dropped. He was very glad to be wearing new, clean undies. The whole loge now knows whether he's a boxer or brief man. ;)

It wouldn't be the end of the world if a guy went commando. I'm just thinking of the benefit of the candidate more than the brothers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also the NEXT candidate will appreciate that you've worn underwear.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

I'm leaving for the grand lodge in about 45 minutes where I'm going to be receiving the first two commandery orders tonight. Not a CLUE what to expect, but since the grand commandery (which apparently meets at the grand lodge?) is putting them on, I'm sure they will be spectacular.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

in three hours I leave for the lodge that will forever be my mother lodge. I hope the goat is kind.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Colton posted:

in three hours I leave for the lodge that will forever be my mother lodge. I hope the goat is kind.

Let us know how it goes!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

Lets us know how it was. I'm going to preemptively congratulate you, Brother.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

So, uh... wow... that was a lot to take in. It was exciting though and i feel pretty good right now, like a burden's been lifted.

I have so many questions too but i don't know what to say here. Good thing my lodge meets this saturday.

Oh, and fraternal greetings, brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

So, uh... wow... that was a lot to take in. It was exciting though and i feel pretty good right now, like a burden's been lifted.

I have so many questions too but i don't know what to say here. Good thing my lodge meets this saturday.

Oh, and fraternal greetings, brothers

Now that you've been impregnated with the reptilian eggs you will soon begin to hear psychic echos and all your questions will be answered.