Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Canuckistan posted:

The drug forum TCC has a strict policy on not discussing pricing for any illicit substance. I'm not sure if that extends outside of TCC though.

Is that because of legal reasons or just because when you get a bunch of potheads from around the world talking together they won't shut up about prices? This wouldn't be a "lol your getting ripped off bro" but a talk about economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
My understanding is that rule is about avoiding people dealing. Once you start discussing prices, it gets easier to talk about meet ups, that kind of thing. Could start getting the subforum into legal trouble. I dunno if it's kosher here.
As for the news, I think it's terrible. Making it illegal to grow for individuals is a terrible policy.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/former-edmonton-cop-derek-huff-blows-whistle-on-brutality-corruption-1.1871353

Ugh. Cop viciously beats a suspect in custody, other cops who have some kind of conscience bring it up with their superiors and get run out. No matter where you go in Canada why is cop culture so hosed up?

quote:

"I stood up for what's right, and I just got run out of the police service,” said Derek Huff, 37. “I still can’t even really believe it.”

Huff is a 10-year-veteran who resigned in February, three years after he said he and his partner watched — stunned — as three plainclothes officers viciously beat a handcuffed man while he was down.

quote:

He said he and his partner were then branded as "rats" and were mocked and shunned. Huff said it got so bad, when he and Furman called for backup on the street, no one came.

“I went from having a great career to being a rat — and it’s almost like jail,” said Huff. “If you’re labelled a rat in the police service, you’re done.”

Pottsdam fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 30, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I heard about that file, the guy literally got Serpico'd and it's drat lucky he got out before someone killed him. It wasn't long ago that Edmonton PD was all "Oorah Professionalism!", what the gently caress happened? Where was Infernal Affairs in all of this?

What burns me most is the disingenuous "Well now that it's in the media we promise to take a look at this obviously unacceptable wagon-circling."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

I heard about that file, the guy literally got Serpico'd and it's drat lucky he got out before someone killed him. It wasn't long ago that Edmonton PD was all "Oorah Professionalism!", what the gently caress happened? Where was Infernal Affairs in all of this?

What burns me most is the disingenuous "Well now that it's in the media we promise to take a look at this obviously unacceptable wagon-circling."

I keep hoping that the police services in Canada will notice that they are on the road to New Orleans and take some steps to fix their corruption controls before it gets too late. Unfortunately they are too stubborn and I think it is only a matter of time before we discover an actual criminal gang operating in a police force in the country.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And here I thought cops in Quebec just really liked motorcycles :angel:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

Huff said the main instigator was Constable Jack Redlick, now 30. Before joining the Edmonton Police Service, Redlick, who is six foot three inches tall, was a hockey defenceman who was notorious for his fights on ice.

SOUNDS LIKE A REAL GOOD CANADIAN KID

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm hoping that the police services start wearing the personal cameras that I read about. Cop cams that can only be shut off by the cop(so you better have a good reason why). I feel it would be a great addition.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm hoping that the police services start wearing the personal cameras that I read about. Cop cams that can only be shut off by the cop(so you better have a good reason why). I feel it would be a great addition.

That's not going to happen, they'll mention privacy concerns. Not their own, but other people they might film you see. The police deeply respect the privacy of everyone they interact with.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

That's not going to happen, they'll mention privacy concerns. Not their own, but other people they might film you see. The police deeply respect the privacy of everyone they interact with.

They said that about dash cams. It will take time to bring them kicking and screaming to the 21st century so we shall get it done.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Uh jeez, the suspect was so aggressive I guess he knocked the camera right off my helmet. Those screams you hear on the tape are mine, your honour. I swear.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"But public privacy!" is a completely specious argument and gravely insulting to strawmen. The information on the cameras is collected, stored and released in accordance with the applicable federal/privincial privacy legislation. You're a public employee in a well-paid, controversial public-facing job. Your actions should be documented to hell and back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I broke my oath and responded to someone in the Comments section on CBC who was arguing that social supports in Canada are hurting the country, and that the US would be foolish to implement anything like UHC:

quote:

Government is not the solution. It is the problem. The Americans should not take cues from us Canadians. In Canada, we look to the government to solve all our problems--- socialized medicine and healthcare for the poor, lazy, and deadbeats; government cheques for the unemployed, sick, and elderly; and God know what else.

That's the difference between Canadians and Americans. Canadian have a sense of entitlement and that everything should be given to them in life whereas Americans have a culture of earning what they worked hard for. It is very inspiring and Congress should indeed make drastic cuts to Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. Why should a hard-working American who earned every penny he or she has made have to give it up to taxes in order to support a poor or lazy person who does not want to make an honest living?

I hope that the Republicans stand firm on their negotiations with the irresponsible Democrats. Even if it means a shut down for 3 days or 3 years!

I responded by outlining all the benefits of social programs and how caring for those who cannot work is part of being a civilization, but another poster showed me how wrong I was:

quote:

Every wealthy, right wing person I know was right wing when they were poor too. This notion that poor people somehow need big government and social programs is wrong. Many low income people want lower taxes and less government so they can guide their own lives. Social programs keep people poor and THAT is wrong.

People terrify me. I used to think that this kind of crazy was localized to the more southern parts of The States.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Why did you turn your camera off?" "Because <any reason the cop feels like>" "Oh, okay."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pottsdam posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/former-edmonton-cop-derek-huff-blows-whistle-on-brutality-corruption-1.1871353

Ugh. Cop viciously beats a suspect in custody, other cops who have some kind of conscience bring it up with their superiors and get run out. No matter where you go in Canada why is cop culture so hosed up?

Being a rat or a snitch is pretty looked down upon in any profession, though, and I don't think that's likely to change. To my mind, this is why always-on cameras are a good thing -- there needn't be any snitches, since all the evidence is on the officer's camera.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Being a rat or a snitch is pretty looked down upon in any profession, though, and I don't think that's likely to change. To my mind, this is why always-on cameras are a good thing -- there needn't be any snitches, since all the evidence is on the officer's camera.

"Why did you leave your camera in the car?" "Because <any reason the cop feels like>" "Oh, okay."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

THC posted:

"Why did you leave your camera in the car?" "Because <any reason the cop feels like>" "Oh, okay."

"Where did the footage go?" "It was <deleted routinely/deleted by accident/lost>" "Oh, okay."

Just given their previous track record with regard to protecting themselves, the police cannot be trusted to police the police. Even organizations like the SIU which are staffed by former cops are suspect. The SIU only lays charges when the situation is so egregious that they can't handwave it, like the murder on the streetcar a little while ago.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

THC posted:

Have the recording system be like a black box that can only be accessed when an incident report is filed. Data offloads to a server that can only be used by certain external parties (ideally a "civilian" review board) and only if there is an incident. If the officer is not wearing it or refuses to put it on then it is considered a disciplinary offense.

Best of both worlds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Video can be a double-edged sword, though. I've been trying to find an article that came out a few weeks ago that talked about how the burden of proof in cases against police is becoming dangerously close to requiring video evidence or else it basically didn't happen.

Lacking video evidence is not why police have been able to get off scott-free and having it isn't going to change matters much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whiteycar posted:

Have the recording system be like a black box that can only be accessed when an incident report is filed. Data offloads to a server that can only be used by certain parties and only if there is an incident. If the officer is not wearing it or refuses to put it on then it is considered a disciplinary offense.

Best of both worlds.

Then we'll have a situation like the Queen's Park incident at the Toronto G20. Police took off their badges because they knew that being caught without a badge on carried a much lighter punishment than if someone was able to positively identify them beating someone. Lo and behold, they nailed about 90 officers for not wearing their name tags and docked them a day's pay. The ones who were beating people? None of them were punished because no one could identify them (or no one stepped forward to identify them) with their faces behind visors.

So all that means is that a cop can eat a day's worth of pay to do whatever they feel like.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Lapel cameras are coming. The technology is feasible and the police "unions" won't be able to stop them. There's no compelling argument they can make to the public against them.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think figuring out ways to ensure the police are always monitored is the wrong way to approach this.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

We should cyborg the police services. It worked in Detroit, it'll work here.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Lobok posted:

Video can be a double-edged sword, though. I've been trying to find an article that came out a few weeks ago that talked about how the burden of proof in cases against police is becoming dangerously close to requiring video evidence or else it basically didn't happen.

Lacking video evidence is not why ce have been able to get off scott-free and having it isn't going to change matters much.

We're already there. Every interview room has a camera to avoid K G B situations where the credibility or admissibility of statements given during questioning is called shady and unreliable simply because it wasn't recorded.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think figuring out ways to ensure the police are always monitored is the wrong way to approach this.

It wouldn't address the root of the problem at all, which is the police subculture. But I don't know how one would even begin to confront that beast. As seen in the story that started this discussion, anyone who tries to make things better from the inside is ignored and ostracized, and eventually leaves for greener pastures. Those who try to change things from the outside are dismissed as ignorant bureaucrats who don't understand the unique conditions cops face.

Monitoring the police doesn't even begin to fix that - it'd probably make it worse, because it fuels the idea that it's the cops versus everyone else. But until someone finds a way to address the root problem, we need to make sure cops are held accountable for their actions. That's why I'd support an effort to monitor them more closely. If it doesn't give an incentive for them to change their behaviour, it would hopefully at least give us greater means to remove "bad cops" from the organization.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

THC posted:

SOUNDS LIKE A REAL GOOD CANADIAN KID

Listen, if you're not Okay with Bryan Marchment or Marty McSorley being a police officer, you can get right out of this country.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Huge Liability posted:

It wouldn't address the root of the problem at all, which is the police subculture. But I don't know how one would even begin to confront that beast. As seen in the story that started this discussion, anyone who tries to make things better from the inside is ignored and ostracized, and eventually leaves for greener pastures. Those who try to change things from the outside are dismissed as ignorant bureaucrats who don't understand the unique conditions cops face.

Monitoring the police doesn't even begin to fix that - it'd probably make it worse, because it fuels the idea that it's the cops versus everyone else. But until someone finds a way to address the root problem, we need to make sure cops are held accountable for their actions. That's why I'd support an effort to monitor them more closely. If it doesn't give an incentive for them to change their behaviour, it would hopefully at least give us greater means to remove "bad cops" from the organization.

I'm sure it's the wrong way to approach it but I roll my eyes every time the police demand a new budget and use the money to buy poo poo they don't need. Or the fact police rarely walk beats anymore and act like they don't work when they loving do.

I know the police union would be in the way of any significant decisions that could be made, but maybe ensuring police investigation units are not made up of former cops would be a good start.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Honestly at this point I start recording audio before an officer gets to my vehicle (throw the phone on the dash recording) or pull it out and start recording when approached by an officer. Been doing this since I was 'harassed' because I'm a young guy driving a 'sports car' (miata) and the officer refused to give name or badge number, specifically returning to my car with both the badge number and name removed when I asked for them.

I just don't implicitly trust police officers anymore. That's not to say they don't do what can be a very hard (and life risking) job - I do respect that - but that I've had enough bad encounters, coupled with friends bad encounters, coupled with poo poo I see in the media, that I feel wary rather than safe when there's a cop around.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TrueChaos posted:

Honestly at this point I start recording audio before an officer gets to my vehicle (throw the phone on the dash recording) or pull it out and start recording when approached by an officer. Been doing this since I was 'harassed' because I'm a young guy driving a 'sports car' (miata) and the officer refused to give name or badge number, specifically returning to my car with both the badge number and name removed when I asked for them.

I just don't implicitly trust police officers anymore. That's not to say they don't do what can be a very hard (and life risking) job - I do respect that - but that I've had enough bad encounters, coupled with friends bad encounters, coupled with poo poo I see in the media, that I feel wary rather than safe when there's a cop around.

I love the reaction when you tell an officer the conversation is being recorded. Suddenly they become first year officers again and make sure that every syllable is clear and punctual.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So apparently BC NDP leadership election is coming up.

1) If I gave them money earlier this year for the election, I'm a member right? I can vote? Is there a way I can make sure I can vote.

2) Who is the leftiest, bleeding-heartiest, eat-the-rich-est candiate that has a chance in hell of winning and won't shy away from running a campaign 100% based on pointing out how the BCLP ruined everything and eat children for brunch.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
We won't know the answer to #2 until they announce their bids.

However, I can tell you in advance, the answer is not Gregor Robertson.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 1, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Whiteycar posted:

Have the recording system be like a black box that can only be accessed when an incident report is filed. Data offloads to a server that can only be used by certain external parties (ideally a "civilian" review board) and only if there is an incident. If the officer is not wearing it or refuses to put it on then it is considered a disciplinary offense.

Best of both worlds.

Stream it directly to YouTube.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Fine-able Offense posted:

However, I can tell you in advance, the answer is not Gregor Robertson.

That so? I mean I'm sure there are going to be many candidates to the left of him (he did get elected in Vancouver after all, that pretty much precludes going too far either side), but I liked the general direction he was taking the city during his tenure - like at least he set out to deal with homelessness by way of mental health. It was more talk than walk it turns out, but that's still miles better than most of his constituents...

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Wynand posted:

That so? I mean I'm sure there are going to be many candidates to the left of him (he did get elected in Vancouver after all, that pretty much precludes going too far either side), but I liked the general direction he was taking the city during his tenure - like at least he set out to deal with homelessness by way of mental health. It was more talk than walk it turns out, but that's still miles better than most of his constituents...

You mean doing housing things like closing Little Mountain, kicking out all of the residents, and handing it over to his buddies the big property developers? It's not even the only one, they're set to close another social housing project that's full of mostly single mothers. It's absolutely disgusting how much social housing has been lost under Vision.

Vision Vancouver is a machine created to greenwash their naked handjobs for the development industry, nothing more. On any land-use issue they are completely indistinguishable from the NPA.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fine-able Offense posted:

You mean doing housing things like closing Little Mountain, kicking out all of the residents, and handing it over to his buddies the big property developers? It's not even the only one, they're set to close another social housing project that's full of mostly single mothers. It's absolutely disgusting how much social housing has been lost under Vision.

Vision Vancouver is a machine created to greenwash their naked handjobs for the development industry, nothing more. On any land-use issue they are completely indistinguishable from the NPA.

Well you have to have a housing plan for the homeless when you have a plan to tear down all the social housing. It only makes sense.

I am expecting him to win the nomination, as he would be par for the course for the BCNDP.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Uh, you guys apparently don't realize that agencies in Canada are actually already in the process of evaluating body worn video. And ironically, EPS is the first agency to my knowledge who are actually street testing them. They've been in use for months now.

And for those who are concerned about police subculture (a very valid concern), comfort yourself in the knowledge that despite some people's interpretation, it has been improving steadily since the invention of police forces. Those with rose coloured glasses who think that police have been getting worse are far off the mark. Every generation of new officers has been improving the quality of service in Canada. This isn't to say that the situation is perfect right now - there are still lots of changes that need to be made. But things are improving, even if it doesn't seem that way.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
They are testing those cameras in Edmonton right now. The way they are doing it is that the cameras are usually off and it is up to the police officer to turn them on when they have to deal with a member of the public. They had a radio interview with some police officials where they gave all the reasons they didn't want to be filmed while at work. They included:

- The cameras make members of the public hostile towards the police officers because they are being filmed without their permission.
- The cameras are mounted on the front of their protective vests which gives an incomplete picture of what is going on around them - IE. "I'm not always looking straight forward"
- Something about how they already have so much equipment hanging off of them that it's dangerous to start fumbling around with yet another thing.

And I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. They talked for the best part of the hour about how they didn't think the cameras were safe. They might have a point in each case but it's getting so that people are becoming afraid of the police and the public needs something to show that they are being held accountable. I would hate for things to get like they are in the States - I was on a cruise last year talking to some americans and it's ridiculous how much hatred they have for their police force. People down there feel uneasy about leaving their homes at night because they are worried about having a run in with the cops.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr. Wynand posted:

So apparently BC NDP leadership election is coming up.

1) If I gave them money earlier this year for the election, I'm a member right? I can vote? Is there a way I can make sure I can vote.

2) Who is the leftiest, bleeding-heartiest, eat-the-rich-est candiate that has a chance in hell of winning and won't shy away from running a campaign 100% based on pointing out how the BCLP ruined everything and eat children for brunch.

1) I think you have to actually signed a membership form dealio - if you can call the number on the website they'll tell you if you are eligible.

2) Not sure yet. Dream is that Cullen decides that Federal is too much travelling and moves into Provincial Politics :shobon:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Breaking News! Conservative Senator is corrupt?

Wait, that's not breaking news anymore, is it?

Conservative Senator Leo Housakos denies involvement in questionable fundraising in Quebec posted:

Conservative Senator Leo Housakos solicited tens of thousands of dollars' worth of questionable construction industry donations for a Quebec provincial party immediately prior to his appointment to the upper house in 2008, according to one of the star witnesses at the Quebec inquiry into municipal and provincial corruption.

Lino Zambito, a construction company owner who was one of the first to tell Quebec's Charbonneau commission about the elaborate kickback schemes set up between municipal and provincial politicians, engineers and construction bosses, now tells CBC News that he also gave money to Leo Housakos, who, Zambito says, approached him for a $30,000 political donation in the fall of 2008.

At the time, Housakos, a businessman and prominent member of Montreal's Greek community, was the head of fundraising for the now defunct Action Démocratique du Québec, the small "c" conservative party then led by Mario Dumont.

In the run-up to the provincial election in December 2008, the fledgling party was doing so well, said Zambito, that construction firms like his took notice and were prepared to pay to win favour.

Last week, a spokesperson for Housakos relayed to CBC News the senator's previous statement that he had never been involved in illegal fundraising. He declined to be interviewed on what we said were new allegations (without revealing what Zambito had told CBC News), saying through his spokesperson that he "wasn't interested in talking to smear merchants."

Since corporate donations are not allowed in Quebec, and the limit for personal donations was then set at $3,000 per contributor per party, Zambito says he had to use the illegal "prête-nom" system to come up with that kind of money. While never explicitly stated, he said he assumed Housakos knew the game.

Former construction boss Lino Zambito testifies before the Charbonneau inquiry probing corruption and collusion in Quebec's construction industry in October 2012. Zambito was the first to explain in detail the common practice of skirting the province's supposedly stringent political donations law. (Canadian Press)

"They all say 'Ah us, we took cheques, they're legal,'" said Zambito, adding he believes fundraisers were well aware of the system: "No one's going to make me believe they didn't know what was happening."

Many witnesses have now come forward to tell Judge France Charbonneau about the system whereby company executives would reimburse their staff, friends or family members for cheques that they would donate to political campaigns.

This "prête-nom" scheme was a way for companies to conceal an illegal corporate donation through a series of much smaller, seemingly legal contributions from different people.

"Could you raise me, from people you know, friends, raise me $30,000 of cheques," Zambito said of the fundraising requests

"Then it's your problem,do what you have to do."

The construction boss said he came up with between $20,000 and $25,000 in cheques for the ADQ that he handed off directly to Housakos on two separate deliveries in the fall of 2008, and then reimbursed his friends and employees.

He didn't make his $30,000 target, but he said Housakos was pleased with the sum.

Rather it had been a Con MP, but hey, I'll still take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
You know what, I'm calling it. Andrew Coyne is a loving moron. He's basically hailing the Tea Party as representative of American politics, completely missing the MASSIVELY gerrymandered districts they come from. We're talking districts in which the Republicans win by 30 points, and the closest the politically active come to disputing the election is voting in the Republican primary. The effect is a violent shift of the Overton window to the right. That's how they get in, and it has nothing to do with America as a whole. So that's it. Coyne is a loving moron, because any politico should know this.

quote:

“Nothing is ever settled in this town,” George Shultz, Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state and a veteran of the political wars, once advised. In Washington, defeat is always temporary. You lose a vote, you win the next. Win a vote, and your opponents will that day be plotting its repeal. For the next election is never more than two years away, and before that are the primaries, and …

Americans like to keep their representatives on a short leash. Not only are election campaigns perennially in season, but as often as not the result is to divide control of the government between the two parties. People who are inclined to see the present era of confrontation as a strange new development, or a wholly Republican phenomenon, forget their history.

From 1980 to 1992, a period in which the Republicans were in control of the White House but the Democrats controlled one or both houses of Congress, the government of the United States ran out of money no fewer than nine times. To be sure, most of these “appropriations funding gaps” — between the passage of a new resolution extending the government’s spending authority and the expiry of the last — were over in a couple of days. Much worse was the record under Jimmy Carter, when the Democrats controlled all three: presidency, Senate and House. In just those four years, the government shut down six times, for a total of 66 days.

But of course the shutdown most people remember was the last, in 1996, when the Republicans, in control of the House for the first time since 1952, overplayed their hand and revived Bill Clinton’s fading presidency. It is entirely possible today’s Republicans may be about to do the same for Barack Obama.

But the situations are very different. Then, it was their leaders who were responsible. Today’s crisis is driven not by the leadership or even the majority of the party, but by an intense and disciplined minority, itself a product of the changes that have overtaken the country in recent years.

Scarred by the financial crisis and badly frightened by the massive expansion of government that followed, the Republican base is in no mood to compromise. But then, neither are the Democrats. Though the country is more or less evenly divided, Democratic and Republican districts are increasingly homogeneous, a product both of gerrymandering and of “self-sorting,” or voter migration. Congressmen are less and less concerned with winning and keeping the approval of the electorate at large, and more and more so that of their own grassroots. Back down in a fight like this, and face a primary challenge at the next election.

Add to this the cockamamie rules of U.S. budgeting, notably the requirement for Congress to vote twice, once on the budget itself, a second time on the debt ceiling — the second to decide whether to fund the deficit the first had approved — and some such showdown was more or less inevitable.

Indeed, it is now almost routine. Critics despair that America has become ungovernable, immobilized for long stretches (see “gridlock”) broken by short periods of hair-raising brinksmanship: over the debt ceiling in 2011, the fiscal cliff in 2012, and now over the Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. ObamaCare. Even shutting down the government no longer produces quite the frisson it used to. It is now necessary to threaten to repudiate the government’s debt: a very real possibility, if the current conflict is not resolved by mid-month, when the government reaches the limits of its borrowing authority.

And yet, as messy as it looks, as undignified as it seems, it is also … working. The 2011 conflict produced the Budget Control Act, which cut $900-billion from spending over 10 years. Widely judged a capitulation by Obama, it nevertheless led to a decline in Republican support: when it came time to negotiate last year’s “fiscal cliff” agreement, a re-elected Obama was able to demand, and win, $600-billion in tax increases. The result of all this haggling, taken together, has been just the sort of balanced approach, mixing spending cuts and tax increases, that most experts advise, but that neither side was likely to produce on its own — and a sharp decline in budget deficits: from 10% of GDP in fiscal 2009, to a projected 2.1% of GDP in fiscal 2015.

For all the Republican determination to repeal ObamaCare, moreover, it remains the case that the “gridlocked” American system in recent years has succeeded in passing, not only major health-care reform, but an $800-billion bailout of the banking system in the bargain. What similarly bold measures has Canada, with its more “efficient” parliamentary system, enacted in the same period?

Don’t get me wrong. I still prefer the parliamentary system. But Canadians should not look upon the shenanigans south of the border and conclude that, because we are not in a similarly chaotic state, all is well. Neither system is operating as it should; partisanship has degraded both into parodies of themselves. But between a system that forces the parties to negotiate, and one that allows one side to simply roll over the other, it’s far from clear ours is superior.

America is a sharply divided society at present, confronted with great challenges and with no consensus on how to address them. There is no advantage in a system that suppresses these divisions, or a politics that pretends they don’t exist.

• Locked thread