Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

incogneato posted:

Hey gnome7 (at least I think I have the right SA username), are you still taking late backers for Inverse World per this post? My group may be starting a new campaign soon and I realized that the Lantern is so very perfect for what I want to play in our new world.

I am, indeed, still taking backers as per that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

petrol blue posted:

I've not, pretty much all I've seen is the different class-sheets and a cheat-sheet. It says good things about the game that it already has the idea in it. Does it usually end up batshit-insane?

People often wind up failing outright or taking compromises on rolls. How insane things wind up depends largely on how important those rolls are to things not being insane.

And also how willing the DM is to go insane. Dungeon World's mechanics are generic enough that they can hold on even when the plot train derails into crazytown.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

petrol blue posted:

I've not, pretty much all I've seen is the different class-sheets and a cheat-sheet. It says good things about the game that it already has the idea in it. Does it usually end up batshit-insane?

This session we solved 'being shot at' by the Mage slowing the arrows down. We solved the side-effect of also slowing another PC down by brewing ultra-coffee. The ultra-coffee led to the Fae stumlbing into an imp-trap with the imp. The Imp was defeated by turning it into a cow... The cow stampeded in our castle's engine room. I'm utterly in love with this game already, especially after the glacial pace and serious-business 4e campaign we've just finished.

The rules for GMing are built to help the GM ad-lib scenarios and consequences on the fly. The game runs incredibly well with minimal to zero prep, because you can just look down the list of GM Moves, pick one, flavor it to suit the situation, and hit the players with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If your players are crazy enough they even do most of the work for you. I had a rough plan set in my game and wasn't exactly sure where to go with it but the players are doing a fine job pissing things off without my pointing them in any particular direction.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

madadric posted:

The rules for GMing are built to help the GM ad-lib scenarios and consequences on the fly. The game runs incredibly well with minimal to zero prep, because you can just look down the list of GM Moves, pick one, flavor it to suit the situation, and hit the players with it.

I'm petrol's GM, sup.

The problem I found with picking GM moves with no prep was that the party very quickly escaped the initial danger (angry villagers) and got themselves into a fairly safe location (the Mastermind's fortress). It was tough for me to think of sources of danger, which most of the GM moves seem to be fuelled by, that could reasonably threaten them there.

I can think of a number of ways to make things fun for them going forward, since if they just turtle down then I'm free to start pushing with Grim Portents. But not having Fronts for that session did throw me a fair bit.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Whybird posted:

I'm petrol's GM, sup.

The problem I found with picking GM moves with no prep was that the party very quickly escaped the initial danger (angry villagers) and got themselves into a fairly safe location (the Mastermind's fortress). It was tough for me to think of sources of danger, which most of the GM moves seem to be fuelled by, that could reasonably threaten them there.

I can think of a number of ways to make things fun for them going forward, since if they just turtle down then I'm free to start pushing with Grim Portents. But not having Fronts for that session did throw me a fair bit.

Remember that you can always create a threat elsewhere that can cause problems in the future. Just note them down and feel free to bring them in later (which as a side benefit fuels player paranoia like nothing else).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Whybird posted:

I'm petrol's GM, sup.

It sounds like you might need to use "Show signs of an approaching threat" a bit more. That's the one that is specifically for introducing new problems when you start running out.

It also sounds like you just need a little prep-work to keep the ball rolling. A couple Fronts should help a bit, as you said.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

It sounds like you might need to use "Show signs of an approaching threat" a bit more. That's the one that is specifically for introducing new problems when you start running out.

It also sounds like you just need a little prep-work to keep the ball rolling. A couple Fronts should help a bit, as you said.

In addition to this, don't just put the characters in danger, put the whole location in danger. Fire, earthquake, flood, storms, an erupting volcano, a marauding horde, something that gives you an environmental danger that not only threatens the players, but innocent bystanders as well.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
My favorite example of this kind of environmental danger was to have water leaking from the ceiling and filling each chamber of the dungeon, so the party couldn't dawdle in rooms for too long. It also forced them to make tough choices since they couldn't backtrack easily.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It's a good idea generally, but one of the conceits of the campaign is that we're nominally in charge of an ambulant tower (so far, it's playing like a cross between Howl's Moving Castle and Red Dwarf), so if the location was threatened, we'd just move on.

Mind you, given that we don't really know how to pilot the thing, there's plenty of scope for 'can we get it moving in time?', but we used that this session, and it'd get old pretty fast if it was repeated.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So I had an idea for an experimental type of special weapon, based on A weapon from the game blazblue and was hoping to get feedback on either the concept of these kinda "Drive" weapons (double edged swords with more narrative than mechanical penalties) and, if possible, this one in particular?

quote:

Memory Lane
"Your eyes fall upon a rusted blade, curved to favor atacking with one side and teeth which seem threatening despite the oxidation. It lies next to a dark blue sheath, a tattered silver ribbon wrapped around to form a sort of handle. Whatreally draws your attention, however, is the glass handle - although you don't recall seeing this blade before, the handle conjures feelings of familiarity within you, like a friend or distant cousin you've not seen for a long while. What do you do?

When a player picks up Memory Lane, they become cursed and, when in combat, must use the blade when possible, and must attempt to engage the enemy in close combat when possible. Memory Lane has the following profile:
Memory Lane, curved sword(Close, reach, Precise, Forgetful, Jagged, -2 damage)
-Forgetful: Memory Lane steals memories with which it learns about the world. Anyone touched by the weapon, besides a wielder cursed by it, will temporarily forget what they are doing for a fleeting moment.
-Jagged: The blade is designed to tear through flesh and leave bleeding holes. A successful attack with this weapon causes bleeding, damaging the victim until the wound is bandaged or sealed..

In addition, while you are cursed you gain an extra bond, "I am the wielder of Memory Lane". You may also choose to surrender additional bonds to the weapon, excluding the newly formed bond - if you do, you forget everything you knew about the person, and will only remember what you learn about them after taking up the sword. In addition, you take -1 forward to aiding or defending this person, on account of the difference between how you percieve each other While your allies may resolve bonds with you for exp, you will not gain the benefit of resolving the bond. Whenever you have downtime or make camp, you may choose to feed memories to Memory Lane. Only full seperation from the blade will return your memories, or channeling divine energy to break the curse.
The number of bonds fed to Memory Lane is listed as +Bonds, with a maximum of 3 and maximum mechanical benefit of +2 (-1 if you feed no bonds to Memory Lane).

Memory Lane grants the following moves while you physically have the blade:

Minimum 0 bonds:
Slip through the cracks:
The blade holds disdain for your lack of willingness, but it understands that it musn't bite the hand that feeds it. When you don't want to be seen or remembered, the blade responds by making you almost impossible to remember by people who don't know you. Then, roll +Bonds. On a 10+, the blade seeks no payment. On a 7-9, it gives you around one week to find a source of memories to consume, equivalent to around a months worth of diary writing. On a 6-, it rips a bond at random from you - your +Bonds increases by one.

Mimimum 1 bond:
Teach me, Memory Lane:
It understands that you are willing to work with it, and thus Memory Lane provides for you in the hopes that you feed it more. When you deal damage to a sentient foe using Memory Lane, it steals one memory the victim considers unimportant and passes on the information to you. It will want the memory back after the fight, however, so use the information while you still can.

No points are waypoints:
Having been given a bit more leeway, It is willing to strain itself in order to help out its master. When you call upon the blade to shroud you, it produces a thick mist around your personal space, causing anyone without a strong sense of memory to forget where they are if they pass through it. However, you must defy Wisdom in order not to forget yourself...

Minimum 3 bonds:
Wipe the Slate Clean:
Your parasite is pleased with how it has been fed, and hungers for more. It listens to its masters demands, and will happily gorge itself at your command, euphoric at the cooperation you're showing it. When you command Memory Lane to take all the memories of a paralyzed, defeated or vulnerable enemy, roll +Bonds then +Con:
+Bonds(choose two on 10+, one on 7-9):
-The victim's mind is wiped clean.
-The victim doesn't immediately break free and attack you out of fear.
-You learn 3 things the victim thought were important - The GM will decide what.

+Con:
10+, you're fine.
7-9, you must feed a bond or give a prized memory to your blade.
On a 6-, it loses control and takes your memories as well. You continue to play your character normally, but lose all social based holds you had and all bonds and alignments you had. When appropriate, you may make new bonds and, depending on how you act, your alignment will become clear(this new alignment may be beyond the bounds of the class).

Questions to consider:
<>Where does the weapon come from?
<>Whom does the weapon serve?
<>How, if at all, does the weapon communicate?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
My first thought is 'that magic item's mechanics are longer than my character sheet'.

I mean, it looks fun, but I like the rules-lite of DW, and that description seems to buck against that.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
You could make the sword part of a compendium class instead.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

petrol blue posted:

It's a good idea generally, but one of the conceits of the campaign is that we're nominally in charge of an ambulant tower (so far, it's playing like a cross between Howl's Moving Castle and Red Dwarf), so if the location was threatened, we'd just move on.

Mind you, given that we don't really know how to pilot the thing, there's plenty of scope for 'can we get it moving in time?', but we used that this session, and it'd get old pretty fast if it was repeated.

Taking a page from Red Dwarf, you can also use the "We don't really control where and when it goes" aspect. There may be some people (Including the original creator?) who want it for themselves...

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

So I had an idea for an experimental type of special weapon, based on A weapon from the game blazblue and was hoping to get feedback on either the concept of these kinda "Drive" weapons (double edged swords with more narrative than mechanical penalties) and, if possible, this one in particular?

I love it! I've been wondering how to represent cursed items and this corrupted bonds-stats-whatever model you've come up with is great. In regards to Memory Lane I think you might be better off modelling 'Forgetful' as stun damage which happens in addition to normal damage. If the item were a compendium class I'd say you should get something extra in return for suffering the curse - maybe turn bond moves into regular moves and retain the +Bonds mechanic. That's not to say the model you've got now is bad - in fact I like it - it's just a thought.

Maybe you could play around with the levelling up mechanic - buying a new move for the compendium class could cost you a bond, representing a deeper connection between yourself and the weapon. Frankly I think this is an incredible mechanic and you could use it to represent cursed armour, symbiotes, forbidden knowledge - whatever. Don't just corrupt bonds - corrupt HP, stats, moves, anything!

Edit: On second thoughts I don't like it and I don't like any of that stuff I wrote about it. It's too rigid and mechanical. Rules follow fiction - you don't need a new tag to tell us the weapon leaves bleeding wounds, that's just Messy. You don't even need messy! Just mention the terrible, jagged teeth. I also have to say I hate the fact that it removes bonds - forgetting people entirely just isn't very interesting. How about this:

quote:

Memory Lane

A rusted blade, curved to favor attacking with one side and bearing jagged teeth which seem threatening despite the oxidation. What really draws your attention, however, is the frosted glass handle - although you don't recall seeing this blade before, the handle conjures feelings of familiarity within you.

The blade obscures its bearer - when you will it, the blade makes you almost impossible to remember. Onlookers are overcome with a vague sense of nostalgia, as if you were something unearthed from the depths of their memory. When you leave their sight, you will be as a half-remembered dream.

When you hack and slash on a +10 you have an additional option: You may forgo damage and steal the memories of your opponent, leaving them dumbfounded. The GM will give you an interesting memory.

Extra bits:
• Jagged teeth rip at their dreamstuff and drink it down through the hilt.
• Stealing memories forces your opponent to act on instinct?
• The hilt and the blade are separate magic items - the hilt provides the first power, the blade provides the second. Unite them!

So now you've got this cool sword and it didn't take you two pages to tell us about it. You don't need tags either - the jagged teeth tells us it's going to leave terrible, ragged wounds.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 27, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Updated grim world play books are out and they are much, much better.

I'd post the Dropbox link but they said this time backers only.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Updated grim world play books are out and they are much, much better.

I'd post the Dropbox link but they said this time backers only.

People should go and check to see if they fixed the things that were wrong with v1, as identified by the thread.

e; vv thanks, more people should do changelogs for RPGs. Sounds like they fixed a lot, but not the Slayer.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 27, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

People should go and check to see if they fixed the things that were wrong with v1, as identified by the thread.

Very much so. Here I will at least post the change log:

Battlemaster

Lots of minor edits for clarity
Moved several moves around
Intelligent Defense improved
Guardian removed (check out Intelligent Defense instead!)
Combined upgrades for Reckless Tactics and Aggressive Tactics into “Reckless Aggression”
Folded Expect the Attack into Combat Sight
Changed Battlefield Motivation and Battlefield Desperation (previously Desperate Maneuver)
Moved the 3 point Gambit to replace Lethal Gambit, buffed it slightly, and clarified its intent
Added a new 3 point Gambit (suggested by Jacob Randolph, thanks Jacob!)
Added Combat Assessment, Misdirection, Command Ally, Multiclass Learner, Tactical Teacher (pretty much my new favorite move)

Channeler

Reworked all of Summon Elemental and its corresponding moves. This was the biggest complaint and source of confusion people had about the Channeler. I tried to simplify the move but still keep the same flavor. The intention is for a Channeler to feel like they're slowly losing control over the Elemental. It’s also more flexible now (you can technically Channel with an Elemental still out). Please let me know what you think!
Reworked the Channel move’s 7-9 options. Now you have the option of taking 1d4 damage or you can leave it up to the GM to decide the complications
Changed Bender of the Elements to be a little less freeform, but hopefully easier to use mechanically in play
Renamed Elemental Warrior/Champion to Conduit Warrior/Champion to avoid confusion
Renamed Elemental Callus to just Callus, also to avoid confusion
Reabsorb Elemental is now a 2-5 advanced move
Just a Squirt is now a starting move and has been renamed to Trickle (get it… you can use it to perform tricks… har har)
Altered Devastation Wave slightly
Added Reckless Summoner

Necromancer

Minor edits for clarity
Moved Gravedigger to be a 2-5 advance
Moved Life Sap to 6-10 and made it potentially more dangerous/powerful
Buffed Monstrous and Mortiferous to make them more interesting than just a straight damage increase
Undead Pack Rat became True Collector
Added a new Undead Pack Rat move

Shaman

Brought Irontree Spirit in line with the other Guardian Spirits
Renamed Spirit Mediation to Séance
Rolled Spiritual Renown into Maker of Talismans
Revised Medium
Removed Spirit Clout (too boring/weak)
Added Wandering Spirit, Totemic Weapon, Protector

Slayer

Minor edits for clarity
Increased damage to d10
Split Cathartic Kill apart (added Slayer’s Strike) to make it more clear
Made the Tenacity Manifestation more interesting (hopefully)
Revised Parched and I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead
Removed Unquenchable, Piercing Throw
Added Sponsor, Bliss
Revised Constriction to be more Slayer’s Strike friendly

Templar

This class has had massive changes. Too many to list. The feedback we received was mixed, some good, some bad. Looking back at it, I think it was the weakest of the 6. I still like the Penance idea (and you’ll still see it in the new class), but it wasn't working that well. It’s been entirely reworked and is now called Wrath. It’s more of a traditional resource that you can spend to do some smitin’. Also, Blessings are gone. I liked them, but they never really fit the theme of a Templar. I think this new version is a lot closer to what a Templar is within grim world.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just noticed the Shaman is an electrum top seller on DTRPG, which places it in the top 2.81% of products by sale. :stare:

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm FINALLY going to get to run my first game of DW tomorrow. It's with a group of good friends who are willing to go with anything, but they've never played any RPGs before so I'm stressing about how little I've prepped for the scenario. That seems to work best with DW, but I wanted to run it all past you guys so I can avoid any potential disasters.

They're going to start outside of a small village, I'll let them decide on the details of what they're doing there, but they'll quickly come upon a group of goblin scouts. The heroes will find a clue on the bodies that shows the goblins' attack plans for the village and that they're planning to create some big weapon. Someone in the town will point them towards some caves a few hours away where the goblins are known to hang out. I've drawn up a little map of the caves with a few trap ideas I like, but eventually they'll get to a room where the goblins are trying to summon an earth elemental. That's pretty much all I'm thinking we'll have time for.

Throughout all this, I'm thinking I also want to introduce the possibility of a larger Big Bad, in case the players like it and want to keep going with a campaign. Basically hinting that this greater power wants to spread chaos throughout the land so they've given the goblins some magic item that helps with the summoning ritual and convinced them that the village is sitting on a large stockpile of treasure.

Does it sound like I need to think anything else through? I want to keep it relatively simple so I don't overwhelm them, but still keep enough interesting stuff in there to pique their interest. And should I choose a race other than goblins? I just wanted to pick something relatively weak and stupid so they could get hints that there's someone bigger behind this. If you have suggestions for a more fun race that would still fit into that "relatively weak and dumb stock bad guys" category, then I'd be glad to hear them.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I wrote up a new race/background, it's a bit wordy, but I couldn't figure out how to condense it further.

Ghost:
You're bound to a small object, your anchor (typically carried by one of your allies), that relates to your death and you can't wander too far from it. As long as you have hitpoints remaining, you can manifest and demanifest yourself at will. While manifested you may appear obviously ghostly or as you were in life as you will. While demanifested you're invisible and intangible, unable to affect or be affected by the real world beyond observing. When you lose all of your hitpoints, instead of rolling for last breath, you're forcefully demanifested until your anchor is taken to a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power, at which point you can remanifest yourself at 1 HP. If you lose your last hit point to a divine, necromantic or other exorcising attack, roll last breath as normal. The gear you start with is a ghostly rendition of what you carried when you died, they weigh nothing, are unusable by anyone except you and if they include any consumables they refresh to the amount you started with whenever you visit a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Penguin Patrol posted:

So I'm FINALLY going to get to run my first game of DW tomorrow...

I might recommend starting them out in an action scene. Start them off engaging in a skirmish with the goblins, and be detailed with your descriptions while encouraging them to get more descriptive, too. This way you skip a lot of the awkwardness that comes from new players not really knowing what to do. "You are outside of Plothook Village, what do you do?" is really open and can intimidate a new player.

My last front I ran I had the players start out by being chased through the forest on a run away wagon. I asked the players "Why are you being chased? What is in the cart? Who is driving, who is riding on top and who is inside protecting (thing they said from previous question)." I wanted the players to end up in this specific town I created and I just had the cart head that way through the chase anyways. Seemed to make the story feel less forced, and they all instantly wanted to get back at the guys chasing them. Luckily, the guys chasing them was also the very first grim portent so it all worked out perfectly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Okasvi posted:

I wrote up a new race/background, it's a bit wordy, but I couldn't figure out how to condense it further.

Ghost:
You're bound to a small object, your anchor (typically carried by one of your allies), that relates to your death and you can't wander too far from it. As long as you have hitpoints remaining, you can manifest and demanifest yourself at will. While manifested you may appear obviously ghostly or as you were in life as you will. While demanifested you're invisible and intangible, unable to affect or be affected by the real world beyond observing. When you lose all of your hitpoints, instead of rolling for last breath, you're forcefully demanifested until your anchor is taken to a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power, at which point you can remanifest yourself at 1 HP. If you lose your last hit point to a divine, necromantic or other exorcising attack, roll last breath as normal. The gear you start with is a ghostly rendition of what you carried when you died, they weigh nothing, are unusable by anyone except you and if they include any consumables they refresh to the amount you started with whenever you visit a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power.

I feel like the 'ghost' concept is too broad and impactful to use in the way that DW usually handles races. Without compromising your view of ghosts, at least. It seems like it would work better as a Class or Compendium Class than as a simple appendix to an existing class. If you were going to sub it in for a race or something, I'd probably allow the ghost character to keep any existing racial abilities they have, develop some kind of 'Manifestation' move and sub it in for a class move. Or you know, just use a CC.

I like the idea a lot but yeah it feels too complex for a race, I think.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I mostly made it a race so you could start out as ghost at level 1, it could pretty easily work as a compendium class as is by just giving it some trigger related to you dying. Might expand it to a full class at some point, if I can bother.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Memory Lane

There's also the Bearer compendium class, here. I'm sure if you took that class and put it together with the simplified item I wrote you could model Memory Lane pretty well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Okasvi posted:

I mostly made it a race so you could start out as ghost at level 1, it could pretty easily work as a compendium class as is by just giving it some trigger related to you dying. Might expand it to a full class at some point, if I can bother.

The Ghost (Compendium Class)
When you start play as a ghost instead of some other living creature,
gain the following move in place of your Race or Aspect move:

Apparition
You are a ghostly spirit, bound to this world for reasons unknown. You are able to Manifest or Demanifest at will. When you Manifest, you look and act like you were in life, although you have some telltale ghostly features, such as blank white eyes, semi-transparent skin, or a faint ghostly vapor trailing around your feet. When you Demanifest, you may as well not exist - you are invisible, intangible, immobile, and mute, unable to interact with anything in the world until you Manifest again.

When you have the Apparition move, you gain access to the following moves as Advance options:

Spirit-Bound
You're bound to a small object that relates to your death, your anchor (typically carried by one of your allies). When you lose all of your hitpoints, instead of taking your Last Breath, you're forcefully demanifested until your anchor is taken to a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power, at which point you can remanifest yourself at 1 HP. If you lose your last hit point to a divine, necromantic or other exorcising attack, take your Last Breath as normal.

Ghost Trick
When you are Demanifested, you can still interact with the world, just a little bit. You can move and speak while Demanifested, and you can manipulate up to 1 weight's worth of physical material. When rolling to interact with the physical world while Demanifested, roll -1 instead of whatever you would normally roll - the world is hazy to you, and hard to interact with.

Poultergeist
You are able to telekinetically manipulate the world around you. You can lift any object within Near range, and move it to anywhere else within Near range. If the object is particularly heavy or being held by someone who does not want it moved, roll +STR. On a 10+, the object moves where you want it to be anyway. On a 7-9, it moves, but not quite how you wanted it to - it ends up somewhere other than where you wanted it, or the person holding it comes along with it, or moving it had unintended side effects - the GM will tell you what happens.

==========

You could probably expand this into a full class fairly easily, but this should get you started pretty nicely.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

The Ghost (Compendium Class)
When you start play as a ghost instead of some other living creature,
gain the following move in place of your Race or Aspect move:

Apparition
You are a ghostly spirit, bound to this world for reasons unknown. You are able to Manifest or Demanifest at will. When you Manifest, you look and act like you were in life, although you have some telltale ghostly features, such as blank white eyes, semi-transparent skin, or a faint ghostly vapor trailing around your feet. When you Demanifest, you may as well not exist - you are invisible, intangible, immobile, and mute, unable to interact with anything in the world until you Manifest again.

When you have the Apparition move, you gain access to the following moves as Advance options:

Spirit-Bound
You're bound to a small object that relates to your death, your anchor (typically carried by one of your allies). When you lose all of your hitpoints, instead of taking your Last Breath, you're forcefully demanifested until your anchor is taken to a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power, at which point you can remanifest yourself at 1 HP. If you lose your last hit point to a divine, necromantic or other exorcising attack, take your Last Breath as normal.

Ghost Trick
When you are Demanifested, you can still interact with the world, just a little bit. You can move and speak while Demanifested, and you can manipulate up to 1 weight's worth of physical material. When rolling to interact with the physical world while Demanifested, roll -1 instead of whatever you would normally roll - the world is hazy to you, and hard to interact with.

Poultergeist
You are able to telekinetically manipulate the world around you. You can lift any object within Near range, and move it to anywhere else within Near range. If the object is particularly heavy or being held by someone who does not want it moved, roll +STR. On a 10+, the object moves where you want it to be anyway. On a 7-9, it moves, but not quite how you wanted it to - it ends up somewhere other than where you wanted it, or the person holding it comes along with it, or moving it had unintended side effects - the GM will tell you what happens.

==========

You could probably expand this into a full class fairly easily, but this should get you started pretty nicely.

I've been working on just such a thing!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sq0qMwvledDAV2poa82s3NmcfIOlYYCrWncJ6pxwC7M/edit?usp=sharing

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I really like the idea of Ghost/Ethereal/etc. as a class. Armour of 'rattling chains'? Some sort of temperature control, maybe, though that might work better as a 'generally freak people out'.

e: Personally, I'd make the main stats CHA and WIS for 'it's the force of your personality that holds you here', but that might just be my interpretation.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 28, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I feel like the 'ghost' concept is too broad and impactful to use in the way that DW usually handles races.

Yeah, this. That is way too long and complex to be one move.

Generally, anything that requires more than one sentence of rules isn't a good candidate to be a race. This also applies to anything that has a racial ability that's universal (dragonborn, warforged, etc.) - per-class racials work because elves, dwarves, humans and halflings have no inherent abilities that are core to the race.

That said: I personally give level 1 characters a free advance, so they can pick something cool to do on top of their starting moves. I've been toying with the idea of doing e.g. dragonborn as a set of two racial moves: you get one per-class racial that represents what being a dragonborn [CLASS] is all about, and then there's one racial move that gives you the iconic racial ability (a breath weapon) which you take in place of your free level 1 advance. You could then write a compendium class that offers further moves developing that iconic racial ability.

Warforged can be done the same way: the iconic racial ability is not needing to eat, drink or sleep.

It is clunkier/more complicated than the way stock DW handles things, but not sufficiently so that I feel it doesn't work.

e; actually, I might start working on an Eberron hack for DW - the extra advance could also be swapped out for a Least Dragonmark move, and each Dragonmark can then be a CC that develops your mark. As a general rule, the extra advance could also help represent that Eberron PCs are something special from the get-go.

Yeah, I think this is a pretty solid idea.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 28, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Oh, that's a neat idea about giving a free starting advanced move and having a special racial move take up that slot. I actually had a character in the game I ran for which that would've been very applicable; a Gorgon Mage whose racial slot was eaten up by the trademark gorgon trick of turning things to stone. Though in her case, it was more like 'turn weak things to stone and paralyze or stun strong things'. And she used it only twice that I can think of in the entire game because she was trying not to be, well, a gorgon.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, this. That is way too long and complex to be one move.

Generally, anything that requires more than one sentence of rules isn't a good candidate to be a race. This also applies to anything that has a racial ability that's universal (dragonborn, warforged, etc.) - per-class racials work because elves, dwarves, humans and halflings have no inherent abilities that are core to the race.

That said: I personally give level 1 characters a free advance, so they can pick something cool to do on top of their starting moves. I've been toying with the idea of doing e.g. dragonborn as a set of two racial moves: you get one per-class racial that represents what being a dragonborn [CLASS] is all about, and then there's one racial move that gives you the iconic racial ability (a breath weapon) which you take in place of your free level 1 advance. You could then write a compendium class that offers further moves developing that iconic racial ability.

Warforged can be done the same way: the iconic racial ability is not needing to eat, drink or sleep.

It is clunkier/more complicated than the way stock DW handles things, but not sufficiently so that I feel it doesn't work.

e; actually, I might start working on an Eberron hack for DW - the extra advance could also be swapped out for a Least Dragonmark move, and each Dragonmark can then be a CC that develops your mark. As a general rule, the extra advance could also help represent that Eberron PCs are something special from the get-go.

Yeah, I think this is a pretty solid idea.

This is a GREAT idea. Tomorrow I'm starting a DW eberron game, and I would totally use it if one of my players decided to be Dragonmarked.

I actually made some moves for Dragonmarks a while ago, but since my game never took off I never finished them. Might have to work on them again.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Huckabee Sting posted:

I might recommend starting them out in an action scene...

Thanks for the help. I just finished our first session and overall it worked out really well. There were definitely some problems with lack of imagination among the players, but they got better towards the end.

We had a Druid, a Thief, a Wizard, and a Ranger with his terrifying bear companion named Daniel. Early on in the adventure, the Ranger was going to have Daniel the Bear eat the bodies of a couple of dead kobold guards at the entrance to the dungeon so that any other approaching kobolds wouldn't get suspicious. The Wizard had previously used one of his books to get more information about the Kobolds, so the Ranger asked him to check the book to make sure kobolds aren't poisonous. My wonderful wizard player decided "No, but they will give your bear diarrhea." We all had a good cheap laugh, but seeing as how it was their best spark of creativity so far, I decided to write it down and keep it.

Towards the end of the adventure, the Wizard had taken control of an orb that was binding an Earth Elemental to him while a couple of kobolds came after him for it. The Thief threw knives at them and managed to clip one of their ears (he rolled a 1 for damage) and then botched his roll for the second kobold, so I told him that he missed and shattered the orb that the Wizard was holding instead. At that point, the Earth Elemental started to go berserk and destroy the dungeon. We were also starting to run out of time so it worked pretty well.

The rest of the adventure was them running out and dodging boulders as they escaped. At one point the Druid, who was in Warthog form, ran head first into a boulder that had fallen directly in front of him and got stunned back into human form. Is that a thing that can happen? I don't know, but he rolled a 6- so I made it happen. At that point, the one-eared kobold, who was also running out, started rushing at the Druid with his spear. Druid managed a successful Hack & Slash roll with his shillelagh to finish off the kobold, but I thought it would be more fun to just add insult to injury, especially since it was the end of the adventure and they were nearly out of the dungeon, so here's what happened: The Druid knocks the one-eared kobold back, The Ranger and Daniel the Bear run past at the exact moment that Daniel finally loses control and empties his bowls all over said kobold, and then a boulder falls on the poor poo poo-covered thing. Very mature, I know, I'm not proud of myself. Actually scratch that, I'm very proud of myself. The players absolutely loved the callback, especially since they had forgotten about it by then. I think I may have to bring that kobold back from the dead so that he can seek revenge, I have a feeling they'd like seeing him as a recurring villain. And they all definitely wanted to play again, so I'll take that as a success.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Here, have an almost finished magic item. I only need to determine what stat would be most appropriate for determining how painful or painless you can be when you're stabbing someone with a sword.

The Sword of Insane Healing

"Despite the name, this magical blade doesn't restore a damaged mind. Instead wounds caused by this sword instantly regenerate, and heal any other wounds besides, though they're twice as painful as a similar mundane wound would be. It is said that being chopped into fine paste by this sword renders one to perfect health, restoring even lost youth and granting immortality. Whether the patient's mind can survive such torture though, is uncertain."

When the Sword of Insane Healing deals damage, the patient rolls +Wis to resist the pain, unless the patient is an NPC, in which case the wielder rolls +? to control how painful their ministrations are. On a 10+ choose one. On a 7-9 both, roll damage for both effects separately. On a miss the GM chooses one.

-The healing power of the sword restores the amount of HP equal to the damage that the attack would have dealt.
-The patient is physically healed, but takes damage as normal, due to the mental trauma of being brutally assaulted with a sword.

If you lose your last HP to the Sword of Insane Healing, roll your last breath as normal, but instead of Death you meet Delusion and if you roll a miss or refuse the bargain you're rendered irrevocably insane instead of dying.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

quote:

Sword of Insane Healing

I like the idea of the sword, but I feel adding another roll to every hack and slash is a bit tedious. Roll hack and slash, then roll damage, then roll for the Sword(if you get 7-9 you have to roll 2 more times for damage.) The fiction of the sword alone adds a ton to the game, and allows for awesome PC creativity. I really love the last bit about delusion. I might steal that idea for future campaigns I run with my friends, if you don't mind.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Could probably cut it down to just rolling twice for damage, once to heal and once to damage, but I wanted to give the PC:s some ability to steer the effect towards a favorable outcome.

E: How about this.

The Sword of Insane Healing

"Despite the name, this magical blade doesn't restore a damaged mind. Instead wounds caused by this sword instantly regenerate, and heal any other wounds besides, though they're twice as painful as a similar mundane wound would be. It is said that being chopped into fine paste by this sword renders one to perfect health, restoring even lost youth and granting immortality. Whether the patient's mind can survive such torture though, is uncertain."

When the Sword of Insane Healing deals damage, roll for damage twice, one roll determines how many HP the swords healing powers heal, the other how much damage the mental trauma of excruciating pain deals. The player character that dealt or took the damage may add their Wis to either roll as they wish. If you lose your last HP to the Sword of Insane Healing, roll your last breath as normal, but instead of Death you meet Delusion and if you roll a miss or refuse the bargain you're rendered irrevocably insane instead of dying.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 29, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for movies/books/graphic novels to help me fill my head with ideas for future GMing?

Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie is the textbook example of 7-9 results; just look at the truck chase sequence for how you can avoid one danger only to somehow be in worse trouble. The whole pacing of the movie is perfect and should inspire any PbtA GM.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie is the textbook example of 7-9 results; just look at the truck chase sequence for how you can avoid one danger only to somehow be in worse trouble. The whole pacing of the movie is perfect and should inspire any PbtA GM.
What's PbtA?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008