Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

How come you're main stat is dex instead of strength? Seems odd in anything to do with enrage. Not so much critiquing as I am genuinely curious.

Also, the Pounce advantage seems like a waste of advantage points in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The Dex tree perks seemed more attractive to me, Strength has a lot of +HP or +Defense, but with Dex I can load up on Crit based stuff.

And yeah after a good sleep I'm not sure why I need extra damage on pounce, it's purely a closer...

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

WarLocke posted:

The Dex tree perks seemed more attractive to me, Strength has a lot of +HP or +Defense, but with Dex I can load up on Crit based stuff.

And yeah after a good sleep I'm not sure why I need extra damage on pounce, it's purely a closer...

Hey Warlocke, do you want this to be a Tank or a Damage dude, primarily?

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0003bDC42iK0ca1

Just poking around at it a bit, Strength primary will give you better energy efficiency, higher HP, and almost as much crit and severity. You really only need The Best Defense once before it flies off into diminishing returns land, and The Best Defense - Aggressive Stance feedback loop gets both numbers crazy high. Additionally, you get access to Merciless on top of Ruthless, and Focused Strikes ignores diminishing returns and is a bananas increase to your DPS.

I would strongley recommend a different slotted passive though. If you want to tank primarily, I would say Invincible. If you want to kill dudes, Way Of The Warrior

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 30, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

Hey Warlocke, do you want this to be a Tank or a Damage dude, primarily?

I was thinking damage, primarily. Tanky enough to do solo stuff, but in a group just run in and start shredding the big guy as someone else tanks it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I was thinking damage, primarily. Tanky enough to do solo stuff, but in a group just run in and start shredding the big guy as someone else tanks it.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...6043bDC42iK0ca1

Ok then! I would totally say do this for it. Your single target damage/bleed will be crazytown bananas, Havok Stomp kills the gently caress out of weak dudes, you'll have +Dodge out the wazoo and one of the only aggro dumps in the game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like the test server's added Tail Thickness, Tail Length, and Wing Size sliders. Tails were always kind of huge, so that could be nice to have? Alternately, now they can be even more huge, which should look pretty obnoxious on some characters.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Looks like the test server's added Tail Thickness, Tail Length, and Wing Size sliders. Tails were always kind of huge, so that could be nice to have? Alternately, now they can be even more huge, which should look pretty obnoxious on some characters.

Hooray, something to make Mecha Monkey more annoying!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy crap is this one of you because these templates look great:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2398521&postcount=9

e: How well does Lightning Reflexes work now? I've been tossing about a re-do of Millennia Violet as a Munitions (pistols specifically, probably Two-Gun Mojo and Lead Tempest) dodge tank.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

That's Bluhman from the forums, his costumes and mechanics breakdowns are what got me playing again, dude rules.

LR is honestly kinda lovely.

Inb fact, go read Bluhman's Freeform guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154774909#99493

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 1, 2013

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman's a goon, yeah.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Lightning Reflexes does work, but at high-end performance it begins to lag behind, because Quarry can achieve everything it is capable of. In fact, in some cases, Quarry outdoes Lighting Reflexes heavily in the dodge chances it can achieve. To its credit, though, LR does offer a very solid buff to Avoidance. Once you get a piece of avoidance gear, though, its pretty much lights-out for LR.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Lightning Reflexes does work, but at high-end performance it begins to lag behind, because Quarry can achieve everything it is capable of. In fact, in some cases, Quarry outdoes Lighting Reflexes heavily in the dodge chances it can achieve. To its credit, though, LR does offer a very solid buff to Avoidance. Once you get a piece of avoidance gear, though, its pretty much lights-out for LR.

I was actually looking at a Defiance build with Resurgence and the Dexterity perk tree to get some dodge/avoidance. Still knocking it around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Keep in mind that's going to change in a while -- I'm 99% sure they're going to change Lightning Reflexes/Way of the Warrior to provide raw dodge CHANCE, as Quarry does, rather than dodge RATING as they do today.

e: catching up on that thread wow I see a whole bunch of people "subtly" lobbying for buffs to their favorite thing ("make my gear more powerful" in particular).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 1, 2013

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I just don't get why these people don't understand that hey, its a test realm and things change. It's pretty mind boggling.

Edit: I also wish there was a way to remove mods from gear for free on the test shard.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Keep in mind that's going to change in a while -- I'm 99% sure they're going to change Lightning Reflexes/Way of the Warrior to provide raw dodge CHANCE, as Quarry does, rather than dodge RATING as they do today.

e: catching up on that thread wow I see a whole bunch of people "subtly" lobbying for buffs to their favorite thing ("make my gear more powerful" in particular).

Raise that to 100%. Crush (dev working on a lot of the new powers) has some tentative values for the dodge based passives:
LR: 30/40/50% flat dodge chance added. (This is over the base chance of 10%. So, without equipment, it's going to be dodging 60% of the time.)
Way of the Warrior: 15/20/25%
Night Warrior: 10/15/20%

There's also apparently going to be a new block enhancer that has the base effect of boosting dodge chance or something, meaning that LR, built correctly, will be able to comfortably sit at an 100% dodge chance. Something that a lot of the other passives are going to have a really hard time reaching.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Raise that to 100%. Crush (dev working on a lot of the new powers) has some tentative values for the dodge based passives:
LR: 30/40/50% flat dodge chance added. (This is over the base chance of 10%. So, without equipment, it's going to be dodging 60% of the time.)

Oh wow, I might just wait until this thing goes live then before I recreate Millennia Violet. Lightning Reflexes + Lead Tempest/Two-Gun Mojo. :c00l:

This means I can switch to brainstorming Force builds for Meteor Maiden. Are the Protection and/or Containment Fields in Force any good?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I've actually done some containment field testing in preparation for a guide I'm writing. The hold (and any other containment field effect) literally cuts damage the target takes in half. It's such an rear end-backwards debuff. The abilities that take advantage of it are sort of OK for AoE I guess (Force Blast's advantage makes it somewhat similar to Ice Blast's advantage), but its quite overly-complicated when it comes to maximizing damage, and also not nearly as sustainiable due to how holds work.

Protection Field, though, is just sort of a support move that, while it's a bit out of place for the rest of the set, is a really nice and solid shield. It's a bit slow to activate, but it takes damage quite well.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bluhman posted:

There's also apparently going to be a new block enhancer that has the base effect of boosting dodge chance or something, meaning that LR, built correctly, will be able to comfortably sit at an 100% dodge chance. Something that a lot of the other passives are going to have a really hard time reaching.

:flashfap:

Way of the Warrior just got a whole lot sexier.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Protection Field, though, is just sort of a support move that, while it's a bit out of place for the rest of the set, is a really nice and solid shield. It's a bit slow to activate, but it takes damage quite well.

I haven't actually hit up powerhouse for this yet, but I was kind of thinking since Compassion apparently buffs PFF strength, you could take those run in support role, get whichever mastery perk it is that makes your heals shield and your shields heal, and be dropping huge Protection Fields on people in Alerts that -also- heal them. Wonder how that would work out.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

WarLocke posted:

I haven't actually hit up powerhouse for this yet, but I was kind of thinking since Compassion apparently buffs PFF strength, you could take those run in support role, get whichever mastery perk it is that makes your heals shield and your shields heal, and be dropping huge Protection Fields on people in Alerts that -also- heal them. Wonder how that would work out.
It's presence mastery, and while it does make your heals provide shields, it doesn't make your shields provide heals. Instead, your shields grant an incoming-heals buff. So if you want the green bar to go up, you still need an actual heal.

And yes, protection field benefits from healing strength bonuses. If you're built as a healer you can get protection fields somewhere around 5k-6k, if I recall correctly. (Haven't used it in a while.) Of course, there's still the problem that such shields don't benefit from certain defenses and so aren't actually preventing as much damage as they claim to.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bluhman posted:

See, everything's going to be fine. :toot:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is this dodge change roundup going to effect Quarry?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Quarry already uses dodge chance so it wasn't affected in itself. My numbers went down a bit due to dodge rating on gear (don't remember exactly how much) but it wasn't enough to bother me.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
That all looks good, yes. I wonder if they'll change the various dodge related advantages. Lead Tempest w/ Tread Softly, Shuriken Storm w/ Floating Butterfly, and Parry w/ The Elusive Monk should probably all provide dodge chance of some amount as well, probably to a lesser extent than the passives will bit still. Leaving them as dodge rating is kinda meh, it'd be like if all the various stuff that increases resistance buffed defense instead.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
How good is Holdout Shot with the Stimpak advantage?

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
I really like Holdout Shot with Stimpack. It can do double damage at low energy, and the heal doesn't come with a damage penalty. And it can crit.

I even have it on one of my melee characters, I think it's a solid power.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Current line of brainstorming for Meteor Maiden:

Primary superstat Endurance (for 'end raise equilibrium'), secondary Int (power cost reduction) and Ego (ranged damage), run in ranged DPS role with Quarry; see if that can fully charge Force Cascade at equilibrium. Oh, and also see how low it can get the recharge on Force Detonation, whether it can be used as a general AoE.

e: Kinetic Manipulation would make it easier as far as choosing powers go, but it counts as an energy form so I'd hardly ever have it up and it would make planning for Cascade power use spiky...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 2, 2013

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So, if I wanted to make a Punisher style dude who just had tons of different guns, what are some stand-out gun-type powers that I'll want to grab for him? And what passive?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

So, if I wanted to make a Punisher style dude who just had tons of different guns, what are some stand-out gun-type powers that I'll want to grab for him? And what passive?

Gadgets has some ray gun stuff, for convention stuff you want Munitions. It has pistols, SMGs, ARs, pretty sure a rocket launcher and grenade, etc.

Passive will completely depend on what you want to do with him. First of all, offensive or defensive one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, the passive is Quarry either way.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Full offensive. I know where the gun powers are and stuff, I was more asking if there were any particularly good ones that I could use as big focuses in a build. Trying to stay away from rayguns and more fantastical things though, I want a purely ex-military vigilante type of guy for this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm not that familiar with Munitions other than the Pistol skills, so I'll let someone else handle that. Although if you're going to go offensive (ranged DPS stance?) Quarry probably is going to be your best (only?) option for buffing tanged physical damage.

Now a question: In regards to spec trees, what is considered a 'blast' attack?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Full offensive. I know where the gun powers are and stuff, I was more asking if there were any particularly good ones that I could use as big focuses in a build. Trying to stay away from rayguns and more fantastical things though, I want a purely ex-military vigilante type of guy for this.

A lot of the guns in Munitions are actually pretty solid to build around, really. Though they all have slightly different possibilities and focuses.

Two-gun mojo is ridiculously straightforward, and you can basically build entirely around the dual-pistol attacks for a close-ranged, semi-defensive AoE dude.
Shotgun is a good mixup with Enrage and/or Ego. Could get creative and pair it with some mines and such as well, if you feel like moving around a lot.
Assault Rifle's main draw is its superb range, and low energy cost. If you combine it with killer instinct and maintain it, you basically never run out of energy and can consistently stay at above 50 feet in combat. Pairs well with Sniper Rifle for picking off enemies.
Speaking of Sniper Rifle, the characterization of it makes it... Strangely well suited to support characters with shields. Overseer and Arbiter get access to specializations that boost the damage of the next attack (which is best spent on a huge burst; something the Sniper Rifle can put out). Also, if you have a forcefield, you can apply it to yourself in order to be able to use the rifle in mid-combat.
Gatling Gun might be the most fun and underrated attack in the set. It generally has the same draws as Assault rifle, but costs a bit more energy. Advantage can also inflict fear, so if you want to see people cowering from you and/or want to mix in some darkness, this would be a good move.
Rocket Launcher and related moves are all about Intelligence. They actually have good damage output - when you can actually use them. This is another build type I'd pair with mines and such.
SMG is just pure damage in a cone - a short-ranged, but really reliable cone. The bleed advantage is really good, and if you feel like you want to hit people with a sword a bit, it ties in quite well.

Unless you're feeling exotic, you'll likely want Quarry. Targeting computer isn't a bad alternate choice at all, though - I think its targeting and critical boosts might make it a lot stronger on the offense than Quarry. Kinetic Manipulation is an acceptable choice if you won't be using any explosives, but it generally doesn't quite live up to what Quarry can do.

WarLocke posted:

It should be listed in the power description as the last word in it. If you look at shotgun blast, for example, it is noted as a blast at the end of its attack type descriptors.
Not like this makes much of a difference; spec damage boosts are almost entirely base damage, so they're roughly equivalent to getting like a single extra stack of your toggle form. Only a select few really can compete with higher-tiered single-target attacks, but those usually have some sort of side-effect that isn't quite blast classification.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2013

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

WarLocke posted:

Current line of brainstorming for Meteor Maiden:

Primary superstat Endurance (for 'end raise equilibrium'), secondary Int (power cost reduction) and Ego (ranged damage), run in ranged DPS role with Quarry; see if that can fully charge Force Cascade at equilibrium. Oh, and also see how low it can get the recharge on Force Detonation, whether it can be used as a general AoE.

e: Kinetic Manipulation would make it easier as far as choosing powers go, but it counts as an energy form so I'd hardly ever have it up and it would make planning for Cascade power use spiky...

So once upon a time I had a DPS Force guy. It says in the FC tooltip that if you cut the cost in half with an energy form, you can't use energy forms for a bit. BUT Circle of Arcane Power counts as an energy form and doesn't get canceled out by the FC cost reduction gimmick. My rotation was basically CoAP-> FC -> CoAP -> FC and so on. That way I could focus on Dex and Ego for outrageous crits and then secondary End and sit on CoAP to regenerate energy, which it did pretty quickly.

Just some food for though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

A lot of the guns in Munitions are actually pretty solid to build around, really. Though they all have slightly different possibilities and focuses.
I really want to like Gatling Gun, but every time I tinker with a munitions character the tiny tiny targeting cone just frustrates me. Two thirds of the time it's effectively a single-target attack... and while it's actually surprisingly good at that, it's a bit redundant next to assault rifle or two-gun mojo, and SMG or even Lead Tempest are a lot more reliable for clearing out random trash. :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Asimo posted:

I really want to like Gatling Gun, but every time I tinker with a munitions character the tiny tiny targeting cone just frustrates me. Two thirds of the time it's effectively a single-target attack... and while it's actually surprisingly good at that, it's a bit redundant next to assault rifle or two-gun mojo, and SMG or even Lead Tempest are a lot more reliable for clearing out random trash. :(

And Lead Tempest just looks so awesome...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And Lead Tempest just looks so awesome...

No lie, I'm probably just going to take Two-Gun Mojo and Lead Tempest on my Millennia Ranger dodgetank. One can get Crippling and the other Challenging, so you don't really need much more than that.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Pretty much. A single-target maintain and a trash-clearing AOE, especially a large PBAOE maintain.

I have a Sentinel Mastery character with 2GM, Lead Tempest, Miniaturization Drive with Reciprocating Gizmo, Sonic Device, Telekinetic Maelstrom, and Quarry as a passive.

Presently has Sniper Rifle on live, but I don't really like it and barely use it, even in Gravitar - the charge time is too long.. Strongly considering switching to TK Lance, which is pretty nice for a spike when TK Maelstrom gets ego leech from mobs. Not necessarily as good just for boss fights, but I'm liking it so far.

So TK Maelstrom for an AOE stun, and Sonic Device can be carried on any of the other attacks.

Amazing on live, slightly worse on dev but still able to handily do 5-man hard on PTS even with the dodge changes as they stand right now.

Of course the char also has Evasive Maneuvers, and took Tread Softly on Lead Tempest. Oh and Force Shield / Force Sheath.

I have another character that I plan to use Heavy Weapons and Gatling Gun on, but I probably won't take either 2GM or Lead Tempest on him. I remember liking Gatling Gun back when I had it on a character. Not saying it'll necessarily stay at 40, though...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm not that familiar with Munitions other than the Pistol skills, so I'll let someone else handle that. Although if you're going to go offensive (ranged DPS stance?) Quarry probably is going to be your best (only?) option for buffing tanged physical damage.

I'm really enjoying this here munitions build, but I took a pretty different route from pure shoot-stuff-hard:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...A000nGO0ZTM2M8G

Name: Ronnie Highbinder

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Powers:
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Shotgun Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Concentration
Level 11: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3, Runic Glow)
Level 14: Killer Instinct
Level 17: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Illumination (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Celestial Conduit (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2)
Level 32: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Rebirth
Level 38: Divine Renewal

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Flight

Specializations:
Presence: Repurpose (2/3)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Overseer: Administer (3/3)
Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
Overseer: Overseer Aura (3/3)
Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Sentry: Reinforce (2/2)
Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

The Munitions powers themselves work really well with Killer Instinct, so you aren't likely to have energy problems regardless of what superstatting setup you pick, but if you mix and match any OTHER power sets into your character, you should probably consider superstatting to account for that or taking Dark Transfusion/Circle of Arcane Power or some poo poo. For Two Gun Mojo and Lead Tempest, both powers are great either with or without their respective advantage options. I don't think there is really a bad power in all the Munitions set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Is there a reason you have two slotted passives in that build? Just curious.