Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is after he got jumped by the nWo in 1996 (the same segment where Rey is thrown into a production truck by Nash) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJZdeJfx4E

That might well be my favorite promo of all time. Arn Anderson is seriously the poo poo.

Pretty much. Arn was never that kind of larger than life character like Ric Flair or The Rock, but Double A was king of straight talk. In an era of cartoon characters he was believable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ1Y7J09uyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK, this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask this here. I'm thinking of getting some wrestling books, can you guys give me some recommendations? I heard the death of WCW was good and that's about all I know. Any good biographies where the guys talk about backstage stuff?

Dynamite Kid's Pure Dynamite is a really excellent book if you can handle hating the person who is writing it. If you can find it Bodyslams! by Gary Michael Capetta is very interesting and gets a pretty good look at backstage stuff from a different perspective.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Any recommended books on the history of wrestling, perhaps the Gold Dust Trio? I've become increasingly interested in the history of wrestling since subscribing to the Observer a year ago and the conversation in this thread a few days ago about '20s wrestling is making me curious abou the guys that seemingly invented many aspects of pro wrestling as we know it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Any recommended books on the history of wrestling, perhaps the Gold Dust Trio? I've become increasingly interested in the history of wrestling since subscribing to the Observer a year ago and the conversation in this thread a few days ago about '20s wrestling is making me curious abou the guys that seemingly invented many aspects of pro wrestling as we know it.

You should find Karl Stern's History of Wrestling series, he did 10 or so episodes on the history of wrestling from the 1850s through modern day and went into way more depth on pre 1930 than post 1930.

There's also a ton of Observers in the archive that go into various historical topics. I think the Thanksgiving 2011 issue has a history of wrestling on Thanksgiving, the issue before the first Zuffa UFC in Brazil is a history of jiu jitsu and its ties to pro wrestling in Brazil, etc.

Actual books on the subject are a bit rarer, at least ones that are good. http://www.amazon.com/National-Wrestling-Alliance-Monopoly-Strangled/dp/1550227416 has been acclaimed but I've never gotten a chance to read it. I may change that...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Arn may have been one of the last guys to get over with that kind of "random dude in a bar who could kick your rear end in a fight" look.

I remember someone describing his look as "Your dad's drinking buddy who could kick your rear end", so yeah, pretty similar.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alternatively, "Your dad coming down the stairs when you woke him up after he was on night shift".

I think that captures the aura of "AW gently caress".

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The head librarian at the university I went to was the spit of Arn Anderson. Same glasses and everything. I was always scared he'd pop my shoulder out of socket if I didn't pay my library fines.

Once Scott Dawson gets a little older, I think he'll do a satisfactory job off carrying on the pissed off dad wrestler legacy.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 30, 2013

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

maniacripper posted:

I always like Jim Cornettes response to the "Creative have nothing for you" bullshit by saying, "If creative has nothing for them, firing your loving creative team!"

Halloween Jack posted:

I like the shoot on Jon Laurenisticaliatiasis Johnny Ace where he talked about WWE creative taking one of his OVW stars (I think it was Doug Basham) and shaving his head because they wanted to see what he looked like bald. "They're a creative team? Can't they fuckin' pretend?"

Onmi posted:

That was hilarious. I liked when he was describing what was going on in the lead up to the screw-job, I think it's the one take on the Screwjob that instead of having me feel dirty just has me burst out laughing.

Can I get links to whatever you guys are talking about?

Has there ever been a "worst finishers/moves" thread here? I'm not asking if I can make one, since I don't think it deserves its own thread, but I was curious and the search function apparently can't go through the archived stuff.

Nick_326 posted:

But yeah, I would like to see a "Paragons, Role Models, Mentors, and Mark Henry: The Nicest People in Wrestling" thread.

REAL TALK: Would it be okay if I started a thread like this? The closest thing I think we had to this was "The Baddest Badasses in Pro Wrestling" thread, which is dead and also had a good deal of :stare: and :gonk: stuff.

Also, any suggestions on a good title for that thread, or is the one I suggested okay?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The worst is the Overdrive.

Actually, Kanyon's Flatliner always looked pretty dumb.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Nick_326 posted:

The Jim Cornette screw job story is in Timeline: The History of the WWF 1997. http://kayfabecommentaries.com/DVD_TL_1997.html

The cliff's notes version: Cornette knew Vince had something planned, Vince wouldn't tell him, when he saw the screwjob from backstage, he had a laugh and got the gently caress out of dodge before the poo poo hit the fan.

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!
Not sure if it's buried somewhere in the thread, but here's a link for the Doug Basham story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkIuYQmVEw

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Heart Punch. Brain Chop.

Really, Overdrive is fairly weak looking but it's nowhere near the worst.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
My most hated finisher ever is undoubtedly the Unprettier/Killswitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Christian didn't get a world title program sooner than he did is because of how terrible that thing is.

I love the Heart Punch though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Booty Man had the worst finisher in wrestling. Bar none. http://youtu.be/_C6Gi11HgZk?t=3m8s

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Booty Man had the worst finisher in wrestling. Bar none. http://youtu.be/_C6Gi11HgZk?t=3m8s

Clever name though.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Nick_326 posted:

Youtube has it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LkvwC1wJ6g

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK, this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask this here. I'm thinking of getting some wrestling books, can you guys give me some recommendations? I heard the death of WCW was good and that's about all I know. Any good biographies where the guys talk about backstage stuff?

- Don't get The Rock's book, unless you're a Rocky superfan. It's neat in that it details a lot of his college life, CFL, and entry into wrestling, but ... I didn't really remember anything great from it. Plus, there are italicized sections where he talks in character, which is odd.

- Bret Hart's book is pretty good, but long. Honestly, the section about his growing up and working Stampede is fascinating as hell. You'd think that, since you're familiar with the WWF era, you'd like that better, but he really seems to gloss a lot of that over in favor of his frustration with his marriage and other things. His passion for wrestling really comes out in the era he spent working for his dad.

- I've read Shaun Assael's 'Sex, Lies, and Headlocks', which glosses over a lot of things, but still gives you some neat stuff. I'd recommend it for cheap, just because you can learn a lot about how Vince made the WWF. I might be biased, though, because I'm from the town Vince grew up in, so references to that part of NC are neat to me.

- Also recommending Foley's books.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jericho's books aren't bad if you skip over everything to do with Fozzy and his 'haha I got drunk and did some stupid inexcusable poo poo repeat x 100'. Undisputed has a lot of both of these things but also gives an interesting glimpse of the 'right' way to talk/deal with the ever-changing whims of Vince McMahon.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Booty Man vs. The Gambler is the most WCW Saturday Night match of all time

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

sticklefifer posted:

Heart Punch.

get out

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
For me, it was Shane Douglas' Franchiser at the end of WCW. What exactly was that move supposed to do, anyway?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hoss Corncave posted:

For me, it was Shane Douglas' Franchiser at the end of WCW. What exactly was that move supposed to do, anyway?

Better then his other finisher - Belly to Belly suplex.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hoss Corncave posted:

It's basically just a backwards stunner.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never liked Sandman's Russian legsweep or Glacier's Ice Pick.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

Pain & Passion, The History of Stampede Wrestling, by Heath McCoy, is one of the best wrestling books I've read. It's a really interesting and in-depth look at the territory and I could not recommend it more.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I always hated Sting's Scorpion Death Drop. I guess I would be okay with it if reverse DDTs weren't so common. I know everyone uses a DDT now but there is something special about seeing Jake Roberts use it that Sting's Scorpion Death Drop lacks.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

getitoffgetitoff posted:

My most hated finisher ever is undoubtedly the Unprettier/Killswitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Christian didn't get a world title program sooner than he did is because of how terrible that thing is.

I love the Heart Punch though.

Punch to the chest: Legitimate KO.

Dropping someone on their face: Questionable impact.

Considering Christian can snap off the Killswitch like an RKO, or pretend to struggle with it as match psychology requires, it's pretty great.

A punch to the chest though? You'd have to establish that move week after week; and it's not even as believable as Khali's Brain Chop.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

NutShellBill posted:

Punch to the chest: Legitimate KO.

Dropping someone on their face: Questionable impact.

Considering Christian can snap off the Killswitch like an RKO, or pretend to struggle with it as match psychology requires, it's pretty great.

A punch to the chest though? You'd have to establish that move week after week; and it's not even as believable as Khali's Brain Chop.

I don't care about how legit it supposedly is. It looks like poo poo while the heart punch looks cool. If you start to analyze wrestling like that you need to explain the mechanics of the Irish Whip first (please don't)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bartok posted:

I always hated Sting's Scorpion Death Drop. I guess I would be okay with it if reverse DDTs weren't so common. I know everyone uses a DDT now but there is something special about seeing Jake Roberts use it that Sting's Scorpion Death Drop lacks.

That reminds me - The Shattered Dreams kick is fake as all hell, even though the crowd pops for it. It's always been so ridiculously obvious that Goldust is kicking the middle turnbuckle.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It would take two seconds for an announcer to get over the Heart Punch and the kayfabe ramifications of an involuntary chest compression. Well, a competent announcer, not Cole.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Q: What was the single worst year for the WWF/E, financially, since Vince took over? Who was the world champ that year? Who was booker? Does any other year come close?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Red posted:

Q: What was the single worst year for the WWF/E, financially, since Vince took over? Who was the world champ that year? Who was booker? Does any other year come close?

i think '95 with diesel but i don't know for sure but i think

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I don't have hard numbers, but I would think '97 was worse financially.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
97 was when Bischoff was saying WWE would be dead in 6 months

They also were pretty low before Mania III and if that show didn't succeed, they might have went under

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

EugeneJ posted:

They also were pretty low before Mania III and if that show didn't succeed, they might have went under

This is complete horseshit revisionist Vince history. They did invest a lot into the first Mania, but it was very obviously going to succeed enough given the ratings they were pulling on the MTV stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

That is a difficult question to answer. In terms of pure financial loss, 2002-3 is their worst year ever, they lost 19 million. However that is because of the restaurant, the wrestling side of the business was quite profitable and the loss was a drop in the bucket to their finances.

The two worst years for the wrestling side of the business are 94-95 and 96-97 (WWE's financial reporting used to be spring to spring, now their fiscal year matches a calendar year.) They lost more in 96 than 94, (4.5 million to 6.5) but both were really bad. Diesel and Bret were the champions in 94-95, HBK for the most part in 96.

Things hit rock bottom in 97, but by dropping the idea of charging less for the IYH PPVs they immediately put the company in the black.

EugeneJ posted:

This is the wrongest thing you've ever posted and that is rather impressive.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

by dropping the idea of charging less for the IYH PPVs they immediately put the company in the black.

Now that's fascinating, because I, as a customer, loved the IYH concept - you got a 2-hour pay-per-view, at a price that matched the length of the show. For a PPV, you probably had less filler, and you got 4-6 matches, and if you didn't have a ton of money to throw at PPVs (which, as a teenager, I did not), it was ideal for your budget. When they moved to three hours, I didn't order any more PPVs that weren't RR or WM unless I was sharing the cost with a bunch of people in a college dorm.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Red posted:

Now that's fascinating, because I, as a customer, loved the IYH concept - you got a 2-hour pay-per-view, at a price that matched the length of the show. For a PPV, you probably had less filler, and you got 4-6 matches, and if you didn't have a ton of money to throw at PPVs (which, as a teenager, I did not), it was ideal for your budget. When they moved to three hours, I didn't order any more PPVs that weren't RR or WM unless I was sharing the cost with a bunch of people in a college dorm.

In Your House was basically the same thing you could see on the house show runs and did lovely buyrates because it was considered unimportant; no major angles or matches really happened on them, even though some were very good shows.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I don't care about how legit it supposedly is. It looks like poo poo while the heart punch looks cool. If you start to analyze wrestling like that you need to explain the mechanics of the Irish Whip first (please don't)

Wow look at this guy who doesn't understand Newton's first law of motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I'd love to watch a Mythbusters where they try to quantify if a heart punch could ever do what wrestling says it does; but my first reaction is: The other guy has a rib cage, for just such occasions.

Getting dropped on one's head without control of the landing is generally a pretty understood KO, though.

I will grant you that Little Guido and Edge can't do the move for poo poo, though.