Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!
Is there a good place for FATEs for 20-30 that has a decent amount of people, but not as many as Quarrymill? I don't think I can deal with the absurd zerg of people clearing every FATE in like two seconds before I even realize it's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

You bet your fuckin' rear end they do. Well. At least I've heard that they do, anyway :shobon:

With multiple bards you can have one of each song up. Two of the same song will not stack.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Downtime posted:

With multiple bards you can have one of each song up. Two of the same song will not stack.

Well yea, that would be ridiculous. I suppose I misunderstood his question because I've been fate grinding for the past 8 hours and feel faint.

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~
"I've heard bad things about Hard Mode Ifrit, but regular Ifrit shouldn't be that hard for a pubbie group right?" - Me, at the start of Bowl of Embers.

My opinion changed 45 minutes in, when the DPS still couldn't down the nail. I told them to limit too and none of them used it, even after I explained it. Eventually I had to help dps the nail so everyone was getting a face full of fire. Our poor healer thought it was his fault for the longest time, I used the tier 2 tank limit just to give him a break after Hellfire :smith:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Delicious Infantry posted:

"I've heard bad things about Hard Mode Ifrit, but regular Ifrit shouldn't be that hard for a pubbie group right?" - Me, at the start of Bowl of Embers.

My opinion changed 45 minutes in, when the DPS still couldn't down the nail. I told them to limit too and none of them used it, even after I explained it. Eventually I had to help dps the nail so everyone was getting a face full of fire. Our poor healer thought it was his fault for the longest time, I used the tier 2 tank limit just to give him a break after Hellfire :smith:

I've run regular Ifrit three times successfully and each successful time the tank had to DPS the nail as well. I would even throw in damage as healer if I could.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tell me about HM Ifrit since I haven't beaten the game yet. Does everybody at least get the weapon drop? All I hear all about people trying so hard to get their weapon drops and failing, but hey, getting any loot at all would prevent me from getting too angry.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

As a tank that first timed Ifrit, twice with PUGs, not DPSing the ember was your fault. :saddowns:

There will be many places where your DPS will be necessary to beat the encounters, you need to be able to work on your positioning so that the frontal attacks aren't hitting everything. The best case of this I can think of is the last boss in Aurum Vale where you have to beat on the fruit before they turn into adds, if the tank doesn't help with this you will always have adds, and the boss does a bad breath that if it hits anyone will really mess them up.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Tell me about HM Ifrit since I haven't beaten the game yet. Does everybody at least get the weapon drop? All I hear all about people trying so hard to get their weapon drops and failing, but hey, getting any loot at all would prevent me from getting too angry.

It's 1 weapon drop per kill.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is it a random weapon, or weighted toward the classes in the kill?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Bruceski posted:

Drops often to a non-present class, so I'm leaning towards there being no weighting unless someone has evidence pointing otherwise.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody know what potency actually means? Is it a percent of your weapons bade damage?

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's always cute to see these hopeful individuals, I used to have these "the design can't intentionally be this retarded" moments too before I became jaded by the growing number of terrible design choices made by squeenix. Now I just see something dumb and take it in stride.

This is a very well known issue where bosses have enormous drop tables and absolutely no weight on the drops, hopefully enough people bring this up as a terrible idea so that it gets fixed soon.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

notZaar posted:

Does anybody know what potency actually means? Is it a percent of your weapons bade damage?

Yes, 100 potency is 100% weapon damage, 250 potency is 250% weapon damage.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SoUr posted:

As a tank that first timed Ifrit, twice with PUGs, not DPSing the ember was your fault. :saddowns:

There will be many places where your DPS will be necessary to beat the encounters, you need to be able to work on your positioning so that the frontal attacks aren't hitting everything. The best case of this I can think of is the last boss in Aurum Vale where you have to beat on the fruit before they turn into adds, if the tank doesn't help with this you will always have adds, and the boss does a bad breath that if it hits anyone will really mess them up.

The fruits you use for the stacking debuff in that fight also cure any other negative statuses, so someone can just munch one if they get bad breathed. Doesn't help if it's a frequent thing, given fruit respawn timers, but it's certainly a solution for accidental occasions.

As for the adds, they're goddamn trivial if the healer is a WHM (Holy goooooo, DPS can clean up afterwards), very manageable so long as the DPS aren't both either MNK or SMN (the other three flavors each get nice bursty spammable radial AoEs), and even if the party is the worst possible setup of SCH + MNK/SMN + MNK/SMN, you can still single-target down some of the adds before they sprout, then single-target down the rest after they sprout (they don't take that much longer to die after sprouting) and then run off to a fruit to clear the extra debuff stacks. (That said, of course, in that last case, having the tank add DPS to the adds helps too.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

First time I did it I just solo killed the nail, never had any problems. :smuggo:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

First time I did it I just solo killed the nail, never had any problems. :smuggo:

We wiped twice on our first normal Ifrit run until our melee DPS finally admitted he didn't know what Limit Breaking was and we walked him through how to add it to his hotbar.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Chucat posted:

I want to find that post on the WoW subforum that was the guy who said "Healing is engaging enough that you can't zone out and have a dippy drinking bird play for you but it's boring enough that you wish you could." and then talked about alt-tabbing to read Reddit as he healed.

I mean I hate healing for a whole bunch of different design reasons (also playing Resto Druid) and Yoshi seems to know it's poo poo enough to give every White Mage a loving unicorn or something but gently caress knows how to fix it in any sort of meaningful way.

Scholar fixes it. Having an automated heal bot in the fairy so you can actually alt tab safely on trash is just the best, period.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I got to 50 last night and did CM and Praetorium. Praetorium was a loving amazing end to the story, holy poo poo.

But why are there no loot drops at all in the last story dungeons? Holy poo poo it's so frustrating to topple these amazing bosses for literally no reward.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Aladar posted:

Is there a good place for FATEs for 20-30 that has a decent amount of people, but not as many as Quarrymill? I don't think I can deal with the absurd zerg of people clearing every FATE in like two seconds before I even realize it's up.

I noticed a few people had a group for FATEs in the zone just north of Aleport with some 22-25 level FATEs, where five or six different ones spawn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

jsr v2.0 posted:

I got to 50 last night and did CM and Praetorium. Praetorium was a loving amazing end to the story, holy poo poo.

But why are there no loot drops at all in the last story dungeons? Holy poo poo it's so frustrating to topple these amazing bosses for literally no reward.

100 Tomes is worth more than the gear they'd drop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Yeah I haven't quite progressed up to marking things yet mainly because I haven't actually seen which mobs do what and which ones should be taken down first. But I can bind them to my F1-4 keys and that should make it pretty easy. Maybe when I actually do a dungeon more than just once.

Also having the "threat meter" thing that shows all the mobs in the fight is really handy. That plus the threat bars on the party ui makes it pretty obvious that hey, Mr. Lancer Guy is pretty much always going to be the one pulling threat. I should just target whatever he's targeting! I'm learning! :pseudo:

Here's the thing, marking is always better. If you don't know which mob should die first, just pick any of them. Seriously. DPS focus on one mob, even if it isn't the weakest mob, is ALWAYS preferable to splitting damage amongst targets.

If its your first time doing the dungeon as tank, just watch for the links to see how many mobs will be in your next pull, then mark a couple of em, and go at it. If you want, pick the one that looks puny. Maybe change up which you target if you notice as you go through the dungeon that one of the other mobs dies faster. (You usually want to kill the weakest ones first)

But literally marking ANYTHING is better than marking nothing.

Aerox posted:

We wiped twice on our first normal Ifrit run until our melee DPS finally admitted he didn't know what Limit Breaking was and we walked him through how to add it to his hotbar.

I've been there man. There's nothing like having a final boss fight where you agree beforehand "Okay BLM use limit break when I say so" or "LNC use limit break when we get level 2" only to have the person wait until you say "use limit now!" to respond with "what's a limit?" or "How?"

:suicide: Seriously how are you so dense?! How do you get all the way to level 30 and never even think to ask...

I just really hate Pubbies in this game and how they refuse to talk to anybody. Go play a loving single player game! I've got enough friends on the server and in the guild now that I can just never run a PUG again, because gently caress that noise. Learn to chat, people. (And if you don't chat because you're on PS3 then you suck, get a keyboard scrub!)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 30, 2013

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
In light of the account thefts, some basic password advice:

Don't use the same password on every website - chinese botnets have stolen password lists from thousands of old websites you registered for in the past. Almost all account theft comes from this. Ideally use a different password for every website, but at least use a different password for your e-mail, your financial websites, and the rest.

Don't use English words in your password - basic brute force prevention. Nobody is going to brute force your password directly through FFXIV, but they will do it through the old websites mentioned above.

By following those two basic rules, it's incredibly unlikely your account will ever get stolen. If all else fails, get an authenticator and never have to worry about it again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aladar posted:

Try Upper La Noscea, via the northern road from Aleport. It's another 20-25 area, that usually has enough people to finish FATEs in a good amount of time, but not so many that they end in seconds. It also has a bigass dino-whale fossil right in the middle of the map, and one of the FATEs is a giant FF11-style crab.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

Minrad posted:

I noticed a few people had a group for FATEs in the zone just north of Aleport with some 22-25 level FATEs, where five or six different ones spawn.

I was looking at a FATE guide and it tried to say there were only 1-2 FATEs in this area. Considering I've done incidental FATEs here a couple times before, I'm not sure why I believed that :raise: this definitely works though, way better than maybe getting silver at best because I took three seconds too long to get somewhere and I have cast times.

Zaphod42 posted:

I just really hate Pubbies in this game and how they refuse to talk to anybody. Go play a loving single player game! I've got enough friends on the server and in the guild now that I can just never run a PUG again, because gently caress that noise. Learn to chat, people. (And if you don't chat because you're on PS3 then you suck, get a keyboard scrub!)

I have to admit I've rarely had this experience with pubbies/PUGs in this game. Some people are pretty quiet, but most of the time I run PUGs, everyone is chatty and banters throughout the dungeon, knows what to do and is silent, or doesn't know what to do, is silent, but does take advice that you give them :shobon: I guess it might have to do with the DF group I'm on?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Get over yourself.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

SoUr posted:

It's always cute to see these hopeful individuals, I used to have these "the design can't intentionally be this retarded" moments too before I became jaded by the growing number of terrible design choices made by squeenix. Now I just see something dumb and take it in stride.

This is a very well known issue where bosses have enormous drop tables and absolutely no weight on the drops, hopefully enough people bring this up as a terrible idea so that it gets fixed soon.

It's a 1/9, or approximately 11% chance to get the Primal item for your class. With some exceptions, you have no competition. Due to the job system, every item goes to someone and can be of use to them at some point in the future. Nothing ever rots or would get DE'd if that was a thing.

Also everyone gets Philo/Myth. Tiny amounts, but if you're chaining Garuda or Titan with a set group, it's actually not much worse than AK runs.

Also Relics are better than anything that the primals drop, and you only need to kill each one once for that, guaranteed.

Not to say 'it's fine, stop whining' since hey, you want the game to be Diablo and shower you in a rainbow of pretty colors after every kill, that's cool too. I'd love it if there were a game like that, full of nothing but short single-boss raids and piles of loot to pick through after every kill. This is not that game. It will never be that game. If you want to go off and find that game, that'd be great, since it sure beats seeing you and people like you overreact every time the game doesn't hand you a bottle, powder your rear end, and set you on your way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Francis posted:

Not to say 'it's fine, stop whining' since hey, you want the game to be Diablo and shower you in a rainbow of pretty colors after every kill, that's cool too. I'd love it if there were a game like that, full of nothing but short single-boss raids and piles of loot to pick through after every kill. This is not that game. It will never be that game. If you want to go off and find that game, that'd be great, since it sure beats seeing you and people like you overreact every time the game doesn't hand you a bottle, powder your rear end, and set you on your way.

I agree with you, I should say, but I feel that there are two games at work in XIV. Getting to 50 is comically easy. Between FATEs, quests, guildhests, the 50% exp bonus for secondary jobs, "maxing out" your character is more a matter of when than if. Some people, and I myself took a little bit to fully understand this, don't realize that the game shows its (probable) true form once you're at 50.

I actually wondered if this game was ever going to give me those bone crushing moments of depression that XI managed to do on occasion. After watching my friend go 0/95 for his Ifrit HM weapon, and watching my own small number of attempts go without success, it was like meeting up with an old friend again.

Mind you, I'm okay with this. I honestly thought the game was taking it way too easy on me.:getin:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Demonicpoodle posted:

Okayyy that's about enough of that. On the PS3, there seems to be some button combination that turns off your HUD completely. Oh, and it also doesn't let you type anything, so you can't log out or get to the menu! Can someone shed some light on this? It's really lovely. I'm convinced it has something to do with the L2 button and the left joystick (L3). It's happened twice and those seem to be involved every time.

Another interesting 'quirk' of the PS3 version is if you logout of the game, as in going back to the login menu instead of exiting, there is no way to exit the game without manually restarting the PS3 or logging back into the game then logging back out and selecting 'exit'. The home button doesn't work ("That operation is not permitted."), pressing all the triggers and select and start or whatever doesn't work, nothing. You have to physically get up, walk over to the PS3, and press reset. I can't fathom the mental gymnastics the guy who programmed that functionality had to go through to figure that this setup was a good idea.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Shinjobi posted:

I agree with you, I should say, but I feel that there are two games at work in XIV. Getting to 50 is comically easy. Between FATEs, quests, guildhests, the 50% exp bonus for secondary jobs, "maxing out" your character is more a matter of when than if. Some people, and I myself took a little bit to fully understand this, don't realize that the game shows its (probable) true form once you're at 50.

I actually wondered if this game was ever going to give me those bone crushing moments of depression that XI managed to do on occasion. After watching my friend go 0/95 for his Ifrit HM weapon, and watching my own small number of attempts go without success, it was like meeting up with an old friend again.

Mind you, I'm okay with this. I honestly thought the game was taking it way too easy on me.:getin:

I'm just tired of people looking at things that are maybe not working as designed and wanting to just upend the entire design instead of tweak it so it does work.

People have gotten it into their heads that primal weapons are some kind of requirement or entitlement, but I'm pretty sure they were intended as vanity items more than anything. If they were part of some kind of gearing progression, Titan or Garuda would drop rings or something instead of completely redundant weapon sets. By the time you can kill Titan once you can build a relic, simple as that.

I think the idea was that you would buy a crafted weapon (which can be better anyway) and use that until you got a relic. Prices right now are too high for that to be reasonable, but as more and more people have nothing better to do with philo than sell mats prices have been dropping.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Aurain posted:

100 Tomes is worth more than the gear they'd drop.

So why can't they give tomes and drop level-appropriate gear? Why does it have to be one or the other? I can't remember another MMO in history that literally had no loot drops for max level dungeons.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sheep posted:

Another interesting 'quirk' of the PS3 version is if you logout of the game, as in going back to the login menu instead of exiting, there is no way to exit the game without manually restarting the PS3 or logging back into the game then logging back out and selecting 'exit'. The home button doesn't work ("That operation is not permitted."), pressing all the triggers and select and start or whatever doesn't work, nothing. You have to physically get up, walk over to the PS3, and press reset. I can't fathom the mental gymnastics the guy who programmed that functionality had to go through to figure that this setup was a good idea.

Hold down the "Home" button on the PS3 controller, and click "quit game" or "shut down" (can't remember which option is available).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Zaphod42 posted:

:suicide: Seriously how are you so dense?! How do you get all the way to level 30 and never even think to ask...

Except you never have to do it in the early game? If you turn off the help popups you never even learn about it.

Riftling posted:

In light of the account thefts, some basic password advice:

Also: USE AN AUTHENTICATOR

e: for anyone using Bluestacks to run the android app on a PC, be aware of this part of their terms:

quote:

B. Text Messages. By providing us with your mobile telephone number You consent to our use of that number to send You text or SMS messages with details of offers, our services and other advertising, until You tell us to stop. You can direct us to stop such text or SMS messages by sending a text message with the subject line STOP to +1 408 377 1488.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

jsr v2.0 posted:

So why can't they give tomes and drop level-appropriate gear? Why does it have to be one or the other? I can't remember another MMO in history that literally had no loot drops for max level dungeons.

Because Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep DO drop loot (but give less tomestones)? It seems like a pretty fair tradeoff to me. If I need philo stones I'll do CM/Prae, if I need myth stones or other loot (though at this point I have almost all of it) I'll do AK. The only one left out here is Wanderer's Palace and I think they should have just had it drop ilvl60, but oh well. It was good for a bit when relic precursors still sold well.

At any rate in 2.1 we'll have 2 hard-mode dungeons plus a brand new dungeon for 50, so there'll be more to do once that rolls around.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Been meaning to ask but I keep on forgetting. How does socketing materia work exactly? I know that there are some restrictions tied to the equipment piece you are socketing.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

jsr v2.0 posted:

Because that gear would be immediately replaced by WP/AK gear, and it gives more tomes than any other dungeon at 50

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Francis posted:

It's a 1/9, or approximately 11% chance to get the Primal item for your class. With some exceptions, you have no competition. Due to the job system, every item goes to someone and can be of use to them at some point in the future. Nothing ever rots or would get DE'd if that was a thing.

Also everyone gets Philo/Myth. Tiny amounts, but if you're chaining Garuda or Titan with a set group, it's actually not much worse than AK runs.

Also Relics are better than anything that the primals drop, and you only need to kill each one once for that, guaranteed.

So what you're saying is that giving people a 11% chance at getting an item they can use is meant as a way to increase the challenge in the game? You must either be a fanboy or just plain retarded, forcing people to run the same instances over and over for a shot at loot they can use is bad design, it adds absolutely nothing to the challenge of the game and just forces people to grind in order to see the end game.

The tomes system is not bad and at least guarantees people will get something for their time; it was nice of you to bring it up as a rebuttal to my post that made no mention of that system at all, instead of focusing on the problem with massive loot tables in this game.

And I thought Zaphod was the only white knight in this thread, at least he seems genuinely in love with the game, you just come off as an rear end in a top hat while striking at straw men.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Is there a vendor that sells cotton yarn? I can't find one and there hasn't been a single piece offered for sale in the AH for days.

vvv ty

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 30, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Esmenet at the Ul'dah Alchemists Guild sells cotton yarn.

Etrips posted:

Been meaning to ask but I keep on forgetting. How does socketing materia work exactly? I know that there are some restrictions tied to the equipment piece you are socketing.

I think it amounts to "hit meld button. hope it works". The crafting class and level requirement are listed on each piece of equipment.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Schubalts posted:

I think it amounts to "hit meld button. hope it works". The crafting class and level requirement are listed on each piece of equipment.

The preview before you meld shows you if you'll get the full effect of the materia. Just look and see if you have a red number when melding. A table of the effective stat caps on every single item would make this information searchable, but I don't see that happening any time soon. If you're not sure if you can slot a materia for full effect and don't have it on hand to actually check, a good rule of thumb is 'don't bother slotting stats already on the item, especially if the item is HQ'. This isn't a hard and fast rule though and the only way to be sure is to see the meld preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Schubalts posted:

Esmenet at the Ul'dah Alchemists Guild sells cotton yarn.

I meant, if you have a piece of armor that has say: Vitality and Parry on it with three materia sockets. Can I just slap 3 parry materias in there?

• Locked thread