Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I'd like to tell you guys about a PW: Story server on Neverwinter Nights. Roleplay Heavy, story heavy, and, if it helps, full PvP.
I'm sharing now, of all times, because the server just recently entered a new chapter of the story. The name is dumb, but it's trying to fit a theme established 8 years ago. I'm talking about "Escape from Uncertainty: Revelations". A continuation of "Escape from the Underdark", which became "Escaped from the Underdark: Archipelago", which became "Escape from Undeath: Mistlocke".

You can read about it here, but let me tell you about the finer things, the things the site won't mention.

The server is heavily inspired by Lovecraftian horror, and Game of Thrones. People die. The consequences for death are very heavy. Heavy like, if you respawn, you lose 1/3 of your total experience. If your character is murdered by another player's, you can't respawn at all. You can only come back to life if your body is recovered, and a Raise Dead spell is cast on you.

I should also impress on you that the server is designed to be difficult. The surviving remnants of humanity have fled to the Underdark, because the surface has been overrun by aberrant powers. Solo-play is not rewarded. In fact, if you leave the city without an ally or a very strong idea of what you're doing, you will almost certainly die.
Finding a group of people to quest with you, and learning how to work together and share supplies is crucial to survival.

Levelling above 8 is uncommon, and levelling above 10 is exceptionally rare. Characters are not superheroes, and power tends to be determined more by who your friends are, than how strong your build is.

The setting is alive, in the sense that there are mysteries intended to be solved by players over the course of months or years.

The DM team is a genuinely awesome bunch of folks. They love seeing new players, and they care a lot about retaining quality players. For example, I asked the Founder a few weeks ago if he'd like me to advertise here, and he asked me to wait until the team had a chance to iron out the problems (too many bugs, not enough content)associated with having just completely changed the Setting.

I can't really express enough that if you're interested in serious, high-quality storytelling and roleplay, this is the very best place to go for it.

If you've got questions, you can pop in to the IRC channel, #efu on irc.darkmyst.org, and ask in there. You can also ask me in this thread, or send me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So does the PRC class pack for NWN1 still require that external character creator to use it's races and base classes?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

xanthan posted:

So does the PRC class pack for NWN1 still require that external character creator to use it's races and base classes?

Pretty sure it does.

Alternately, most of the PRC races for NWN1 have absurd ECL's and aren't worth using, and you can always start at level 1 with a different class and then multi-in, if your build can work with that.

Black Numenorean
Nov 23, 2008
I can confirm what 'bottles and cans' has said here. EfU:R is definitely worth a look if you're into intrigue, dangerous adventuring, and a wickedly-designed setting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sounds neat, I've been looking for a new server after a clique of really self centered players basically decided to drive a lot of the cool people out of my last one. Might check it out if SRR doesn't keep sucking up all my free time.
(SRR is awesome and you should all go get it.)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So I bought NWN2 today from GoG, and I managed to download the setup. But when the install was finished, I tried to start the game and I got an error message, then it said that it crashed or something. I restarted the computer and tried again but got the same thing, so now I'm uninstalling and re installing the game to see if it would work this time. So did I just waste :20bux:?

Edit: I re-installed the game and the same error message came up again. "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." Like gently caress it did either. Does anyone here know what the problem here is? Should I e-mail Gog to get my $20 back?

Edit 2: Yep, I've been screwed. I've deleted everything and re-installed the program, but I keep getting the same error message. I'm gonna have to e-mail them.

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 11, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a directx error that has nothing to do with either GoG or NWN2, try (re)installing directx9. Don't attempt to just download the .dll file.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Thunderfinger posted:

Edit: I re-installed the game and the same error message came up again. "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." Like gently caress it did either. Does anyone here know what the problem here is? Should I e-mail Gog to get my $20 back?

You're running on windows 7 or 8 right? Either your DirectX 9 install has been corrupted, or you just don't have version 9 since the latest versions of windows use DirectX 11. Either way it's a simple fix, just google DirectX 9 and get the installer from the microsoft website.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Yeah, I figured it out last night, sorry guys. Now all I have to do is figure out the controls and I'm set.

For the record, I'm running this on Vista.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)
NWN1 and 2 are on sale on gog.com right now for CHEAP. NWN1 Diamond edition is less than $3!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm going to try and actually beat NWN2 this time. I quit my last playthrough after getting fed up with the AI and encountering the Act 2 castle teleport bug.

Can someone help me with the terrible AI? I don't want to use the improved AI mods in the OP, I just want better control of my group. I hate how companions will just rush headlong through a hall of traps or aggro a bunch of rogues and get backstabbed to death. Last time I played, turning off AI prevented them from following me and trying to manually move them as a party was super janky because pathfinding for party movement apparently wasn't intended.

I just want to play the game like an Infinity engine game where I can just tell me dudes exactly where to go and issue every command. Is there some ingame setting I'm overlooking or, failing that, a mod that will let me do this?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Learn the shortcut for "follow". It calls all companions back to whoever you're controlling and disables their combat AI until you give them another order ("attack", or whatever).

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Any recommendations for Sorcerer spell picks in NWN2? I'm starting a new playthrough of the OC+MotB using Kaedrin's PRC Pack and the mod compilation in the OP.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cirosan posted:

Any recommendations for Sorcerer spell picks in NWN2? I'm starting a new playthrough of the OC+MotB using Kaedrin's PRC Pack and the mod compilation in the OP.

All of the Isaacs Missile Storm spells, along with a full stack of metamagic feats.

Premonition, or at lower levels, Stoneskin.

Firebrand.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Haste!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Persistent Haste is the most important convenience feature in the game. You don't get it until level 17 though.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for the advice - I'm not very far into the game at all and I'm already glad that I picked up Haste as soon as I did.

I do have another question, though: Is there any harm in using the Party Roster option in the Player Menu to rearrange your party order? For instance, removing both Khelgar and Neeshka from the party in the roster and then re-adding them so that one is first and the other comes second. And by 'harm' I mean, would any of the party members hold it against me? Because removing them from the roster just makes them vanish from existence until you plop them back in. I wouldn't want to, say, be locked out of Khelgar's Vision Quest or something because he's mad at me for kicking him out momentarily every so often. Or worse, glitching them out by using the roster.

From what I can tell there's not a formal option to reorder your party on the fly (other than just picking them in that order when you leave the inn), and for me the game has this terrible habit of switching the people in second and third place around randomly.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
You can do that freely.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
This is a fairly long shot, but did any of you goons play on DeX or Bastions of War when this game had a pretty sizable online community (maybe 2003-2007)?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've got a lot of fond memories playing persistent worlds in NWN, mostly roguish types who took advantage of people and were frequently murdered as a result. Being a part of that community ranks among the most satisfied I've ever been with a video game and I find that jumping into any online game after, I'm just chasing that dragon. Have you guys managed to find a replacement for that NWN sized hole in your heart?

I imagine that there's still something of a community left, but after the master servers went down I'm sure things are beginning to stagnate if they haven't already.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

I imagine that there's still something of a community left, but after the master servers went down I'm sure things are beginning to stagnate if they haven't already.

I was saying at the top of this page that there's a NWN PW still going, and it is, in actual fact, better than it's ever been.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)

Dorkopotamis posted:

I've got a lot of fond memories playing persistent worlds in NWN, mostly roguish types who took advantage of people and were frequently murdered as a result. Being a part of that community ranks among the most satisfied I've ever been with a video game and I find that jumping into any online game after, I'm just chasing that dragon. Have you guys managed to find a replacement for that NWN sized hole in your heart?

This. This is the reason I'm in college learning game development. After a lot of thought though, it's tough to decide how I'd improve on the original design. I initially thought that moving the design toward a more 2d environment to make custom content creation a bit easier for the average player. But, that brings in its own problems with recreating animations.

At its core, what REALLY made the game unique and fun, was the ability to host your own server , make your own adventures, and develop a community around that server, where character development can have a real, in-game affect, on the world. The intimacy of the small, persistent multiplayer environment...that's what made it fun, and it's what's lacking in games since.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I remember back in the heyday of NWN, slamming the direct connect button to servers that were at max capacity, in the hope that I would connect just as someone else was leaving. With no queue system it was the only way to get into some of the more popular servers. City of Arabel, a server I played on for about three years, was at max capacity pretty much 24/7. They're still around, but I checked their activity and they're listed as having less than 10 people during peak hours. Times they are a changin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Does anyone remember Narfell? My first and only PW experience when I was pretty young. I was probably an annoying little twerp (in fact, scratch "probably", I was fourteen) but it was an awesome server on which I felt like I'd made some real friends. It was really low-key, and characters over level 10 were legendary - I remember reading logs of the highest-level group of players in the game, who were all about level 12-14, and their ventures into an as-yet-unexplored dungeon, in which one of their number died and the rest had to retreat. This was all totally organic, but was spread through the server through rumours and stories and announcements. There was a real sense of mystery and awe about the whole thing. Most of my time was just spent chilling around a campfire at one of the city gates (Norwood or something), waiting for a party that needed a bard along to raise their spirits, hearing tall tales and meeting passing friends. Brilliant atmosphere all around, and really blew my mind as a kid.

Probably wouldn't be the same now even if I could go back to it, but my few months playing on it are up there with my favourite gaming memories.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

How viable is an enchanter sorcerer in MOTB? I found out the hard way that playing a rogue was gonna suck because of all the undeads and spirits you fight are immune to sneak attacks, so I'm just wondering if they're immune to charms and mind-controlling spells that as well.

Also, found this pure sorcerer build from the link posted earlier with the basic builds http://nwn2db.com/build/?93

It's some wacky kinda shield-using sorcerer, but as I recall from my D&D days you get a spell failure percentage from using shields. Does this not apply in NWN2?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
As long as the shield is made out of mithril, you won't suffer arcane failure.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game is like a love hate relationship. I have NWN2 GOLD and I remember playing it and having a blast like 3 years ago. But....I got to a point where I was in a dungeon and I think I was fighting vampires or something to do with undead. I remember getting stuck with no healing items or curing items and every time I'd rest, I'd be attacked by a ton of enemies. They kept respawning and killing me and I got really mad and quit.

How far was I, into the game? I have since lost the save files and don't know where I was. I really enjoy these kinda of games, but I remember the beginning taking FOREVER to get going. I really don't want to go back and play through a ton of that if I was almost done with the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only place I can think of where enemies respawn is in the final dungeon.

Krowley posted:

How viable is an enchanter sorcerer in MOTB? I found out the hard way that playing a rogue was gonna suck because of all the undeads and spirits you fight are immune to sneak attacks, so I'm just wondering if they're immune to charms and mind-controlling spells that as well.
Undead are immune to pretty much everything. Not sure about spirits though.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 29, 2013

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
I made it almost to the end of chapter 1 of NWN2 and was very excited for the slog to be nearly over so I could get into the real meat of the game when my graphics started skipping. It's hard to explain and I could probably fraps a little to show it if needed but the game ran like butter for the entire time I was playing it and everything else I play runs fine but now NWN2 just has this super annoying skipping that has made me not want to play it. I turned it off around a month ago and have tried a couple of times to turn it back on hoping it would randomly be working since it randomly broke but no such luck. Anyone experience something similar to this? I was already having fun with the first chapter (though I fully understand what people mean when they say it really drags on) and was really excited that it only would get better. Sucks I can't play it now. The game isn't unplayable really but the skipping is so incredibly annoying I can't deal with it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There's an animation bug that's tied to how long your PC has been on or something like that. The Client Extension should have a fix for it.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

isndl posted:

There's an animation bug that's tied to how long your PC has been on or something like that. The Client Extension should have a fix for it.

I thought I installed this but maybe not I'll give it a try. I don't ever restart my computer so that kind of makes sense. Thanks will report back if this fixes it. If it doesn't I'll fraps a little bit to show exactly what I mean.

edit:Worked like a charm thanks a bunch. Can finally see what all the fuss is about with the rest of the game!

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 29, 2013

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Jastiger posted:

This game is like a love hate relationship. I have NWN2 GOLD and I remember playing it and having a blast like 3 years ago. But....I got to a point where I was in a dungeon and I think I was fighting vampires or something to do with undead. I remember getting stuck with no healing items or curing items and every time I'd rest, I'd be attacked by a ton of enemies. They kept respawning and killing me and I got really mad and quit.

How far was I, into the game? I have since lost the save files and don't know where I was. I really enjoy these kinda of games, but I remember the beginning taking FOREVER to get going. I really don't want to go back and play through a ton of that if I was almost done with the game.

This describes the last level of the OC, right before the final boss. Don't worry, I had the same reaction as you and was ready to quit at even this late point. It's funny because a lot of the combat problems I was able to overlook by pre-buffing; stuff like stone skin and persistent haste gives you a lot of leeway for error. But this level is the only place where enemies will interrupt your resting, so you better hope a stray dispel doesn't wipe out your spells. Plus, it's a level made of multiple elevations and narrow passages, which is a nightmare for pathfinding. Not to mention there's a lot of shadow enemies, which are a pain to visually make out unless I zoom in to target them. The worst part of the game for me is how it controls and the last level is a frustrating culmination of all its problems.

I'm playing MOTB currently and it's slightly better. I just accepted that the game really wasn't designed for manually controling your party and left puppet mode on this time around. Combat is now kind of boring, but it beats the hassle of wrangling all of my party around or having most of my commands not register. I'm just playing it for the story at this point, the actual gameplay is an utter wash for me :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moot the hopple posted:

This describes the last level of the OC, right before the final boss. Don't worry, I had the same reaction as you and was ready to quit at even this late point. It's funny because a lot of the combat problems I was able to overlook by pre-buffing; stuff like stone skin and persistent haste gives you a lot of leeway for error. But this level is the only place where enemies will interrupt your resting, so you better hope a stray dispel doesn't wipe out your spells. Plus, it's a level made of multiple elevations and narrow passages, which is a nightmare for pathfinding. Not to mention there's a lot of shadow enemies, which are a pain to visually make out unless I zoom in to target them. The worst part of the game for me is how it controls and the last level is a frustrating culmination of all its problems.

I'm playing MOTB currently and it's slightly better. I just accepted that the game really wasn't designed for manually controling your party and left puppet mode on this time around. Combat is now kind of boring, but it beats the hassle of wrangling all of my party around or having most of my commands not register. I'm just playing it for the story at this point, the actual gameplay is an utter wash for me :(

Ah...well if it was the last level then I'm not going to go back into it. I replayed through BG and BG 2, but I don't know if I could stand to go through NWN 2 all over again. Thats too bad.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I'm just playing it for the story at this point, the actual gameplay is an utter wash for me :(

Yeah I think I'm coming around to this conclusion as well. I really want to like the combat, and if the stars align it can be fun sometimes, but it's just so broken in so many ways.

My current big issue is not being able to easily tell which spells are currently active without stopping the game and sorting through the cluster of tiny icons by the portrait, trying to remember which effect belongs to which spell. I suppose there isn't a mod for this either, because I'm sure it'd be a must-have for everyone.

Also, isn't puppet mode supposed to make your character 100% passive? I've had my sorcerer start bashing away at adjacent enemies even though I never ever want her to do that, especially not if I just cast Etheral Jaunt on her because she was near death ...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any mods that raise the level caps for NWN 1 or 2?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Are there any mods that raise the level caps for NWN 1 or 2?

There's the Legendary Level System in NWN1, but it requires the use of NWNX (which I think is online-only). There's nothing similar in NWN2, although it's possible to emulate some kind of continued advancement through clever script hooking and UI alterations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I know that there are a few NWN2 PW's that have a level 40 cap. No clue how they do it though.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

What's the easiest way to resolve conflicting .2da files?

I wanted to use Distance Tweaks from the OP, but the baseitems.2da and appearance.2da files were already included in Annakie's mod compilation.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krowley posted:

What's the easiest way to resolve conflicting .2da files?
Place both .2da files in your override (give them both a unique name for the moment). Boot the toolset, open both .2da files (View - 2DA file) and save them in order to give them both the same formatting.
Then use a program like Winmerge to compare the two. Check what's different and implement one file's changes into the other. You may also want to grab the original file from NWN2's Data folder and compare both mods individually to that first so you know what each mod changes exactly.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is that PW still kicking? I would be up for making a warlock who thinks she will be lynched constantly or something. Love me some warlocks.

• Locked thread