Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it depends on how they were stored. I've had coffee that were 2 weeks old and it's not like it's repulsive, it's still good. Just tastes different from ones that are fresh.

Personally I wouldn't buy beans that were more than 3 days old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, coffee is basically done after about 15 days from roasting.
My local place basically gives 2 week old coffee away. I have some right now at about 3 weeks, and you can't really tell it was a really excellent kenyan.
I'm only drinking it now because I leave for minneapolis for a week next week and don't want to buy new coffee to have it sit.

Also, no one really gave recs for MSP coffee. I'm now revising my geographical area to Minneapolis and St. Paul proper.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It depends on storage and on the beans themselves, yeah. I've had beans that were were still good at 14 days and ones that turned at like 9 or 10. Weird fuckin things.

Always, always keep them sealed, out of direct sunlight, etc. Some people say you shouldn't touch inside the bag because that can accelerate staling, but I personally think that's a little overzealous.

If you're gonna keep them in an airtight container or something then either keep them in bags in the container (nice, convenient, maybe a tiny bit ugly?) or clean the container regularly between batches to get rid of old oils building up.

e: But seriously, try to use them up before 10-12 days. What's the worst that happens, you drink more tasty tasty coffee that's what.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
So out of curiosity I tried the new Starbucks Ethiopia coffee today. It smelled like it could be mildly pleasing but of course tasted charred past the point of flavor. Real shame.

In an effort to have me some decaf Ethiopian (which is impossible to find anywhere), the husband ordered some decaf Ethiopian beans from Sweet Maria's. We have an air popper and are going to experiment when the beans arrive. Wish us luck! Mama wants some good decaf :/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also keep in mind that two-week-old coffee that you grind yourself is probably still better than Folger's.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nm posted:

Yeah, coffee is basically done after about 15 days from roasting.
My local place basically gives 2 week old coffee away. I have some right now at about 3 weeks, and you can't really tell it was a really excellent kenyan.
I'm only drinking it now because I leave for minneapolis for a week next week and don't want to buy new coffee to have it sit.

Also, no one really gave recs for MSP coffee. I'm now revising my geographical area to Minneapolis and St. Paul proper.

The only place I've been to is this place called Dogwood Coffee. It was tasty and definitely a third wave joint (it's in uptown Minneapolis), but I can't honestly say I know if it's GOOD coffee.

That said, there was an article in the Star Tribune a couple years back about third wave coffee in Minneapolis, that might be a good place to start.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Dogwood was mentioned in that article on complex about top roasters in the country. Also think they've been mentioned in this thread before as well. I'd check them out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The thing about third wave coffee is that the care in brewing makes good coffee really good and bad coffee really bad.

I don't really know how it happens, but there's coffee that's okay out of an autodrip thing but god awful out of an aeropress or good pourover or what have you.

If the coffee tasted good at a third wave place it was probably good coffee :v:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
Thought I'd report that the Kona I roasted two nights ago brewed up fantastically. Easily the best I've had in a good month. Nice to know that it wasn't just marketing.

Now I'll have to roast something else at these moderate temps and see how much of an effect that had on overall quality.

I just love loving around with this - such a nice, harmless, relatively cheap thing to sperg about.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Sick of having to heat up and measure water, and then do a pour over? Kickstarter to the rescue!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102734022/invergo-an-automated-pour-over-coffee-system

Edit: Almost went for the non-pro at $50, then saw it shipping December of 2014...and with delays that means 2015...whee!

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 30, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shugojin posted:

If the coffee tasted good at a third wave place it was probably good coffee :v:

Yes, that is what I was assuming. Just felt that disclaimer was necessary. v:v:v

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Slimchandi posted:

Are they going to be seriously past their prime at two-three weeks?

Congratulations on your decision to start roasting your own coffee! Buy a heatgun, a dogbowl, and a sampler from Sweet Maria's. You'll thank yourself in the end.

edit: \/Air popper works too.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 30, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Heat gun and dog bowl vs air popper?

edit: I'm on the verge of getting into roasting and it seems like everyone recommends heatgun over air popper. I guess it's more even?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 30, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I started out with an air popper but had mixed results and switched to heat gun, which has been way better.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

edit: I'm on the verge of getting into roasting and it seems like everyone recommends heatgun over air popper. I guess it's more even?

eh, I have even results in both a whirly pop and a electric popper. ymmv. I prefer these because they're a tad more brainless than nursing a bowl. Although I've been roasting long enough that the novelty of nursing anything at all is kind of dwindling and I just want a behmor 1600 now so I can ~~set it and forget it deal with it after an alloted period of time~~

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
Are there any people here that can ask their roasters to change thing up? I've had some luck with my local roaster to try some lighter roasts, esp. on the East-African and SA beans, and had them roast smaller separate batches from other stuff.

Beats home roasting in an appartment imo.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Steve Yun posted:

I did air popper because I had one that literally hadn't been used since microwave popcorn was invented, and my wife said "sure!" when I asked if I could wreck it.

Had to bend the thermostat to stop it from shutting off from overheating.

Now I am realizing how nice it would be to have adjustable heat output, because it runs a bit hot and makes getting just the right roast a bit of a challenge (see earlier posts...). There's a mod online I'm considering that adds a potentiometer (think that's the name) for adjusting heat output. That would bump my overall cost to whatever that electric knob thing costs from radio shack. $10 I suppose.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

beanbrew posted:

We got a batch of samples from our roaster last week, and one of the coffees was a Panama Geisha. That cup was straight up the sweetest cup of coffee I've ever had. It was like there was a dab of honey in it or something, it was amazing.

My local shop got in a Panama Geisha a couple months ago. There is definitely a honey kick to it, especially after it's cooled a bit. I found it had sort of a ripe green grape taste when it was hot. It was awesome. They've had a couple other Geishas in since, but that one has been my favorite.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

I recently switched over from black tea (with cream and sweetener) to straight black coffee using a CCD, a baratza encore grinder, and freshly roasted beans. My coffee often turns out to be really tangy (acidic?) and it's not all that pleasant to drink. What causes this to happen? Also does it take anyone else a few sips to start enjoying a cup of coffee? I'm usually disgusted by the first few tastes but halfway through I start to really like it. Maybe I'm retarded.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tomed2000 posted:

I recently switched over from black tea (with cream and sweetener) to straight black coffee using a CCD, a baratza encore grinder, and freshly roasted beans. My coffee often turns out to be really tangy (acidic?) and it's not all that pleasant to drink. What causes this to happen? Also does it take anyone else a few sips to start enjoying a cup of coffee? I'm usually disgusted by the first few tastes but halfway through I start to really like it. Maybe I'm retarded.

What's your brewing process? Coffee/hot water ratio in grams, steep time, water temp, is it stalling out on draw down? I'm on my phone right now but of you search through my posts in this thread I've posted my CCD process that I've been using for months with great success.

The CCD is easy to use, but still requires a bit of experimentation to get right.

One thing I've discovered since I posted my method is that I have to slightly adjust grind size based on the bean and how fresh the roast to keep it from stalling.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
New bean I am in love with: Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere natural process. Roasted to just barely a city+ and done via traditional pour over or a chemex is just spectacular. Haven't been this excited about a bean since the last crop of Kenya kinyovu peaberry.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Tomed2000 posted:

I've noticed that the flavor of many coffees changes dramatically depending on the temperature. I have found that if I let my coffee cool to the point where I can take a nice big sip without having to slurp it with air (which cools it as it's pulled in) the flavor is much improved.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

New bean I am in love with: Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere natural process. Roasted to just barely a city+ and done via traditional pour over or a chemex is just spectacular. Haven't been this excited about a bean since the last crop of Kenya kinyovu peaberry.

This is my favorite bean right now! Have you tried it in an aeropress or siphon? I feel like it benefits greatly from a filtered full-immersion method.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Eleeleth posted:

This is my favorite bean right now! Have you tried it in an aeropress or siphon? I feel like it benefits greatly from a filtered full-immersion method.

Not yet, aeropress with a metal or paper filter? I'm hesitant to siphon it(or anything) without an infared burner for super fine temp control.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I found an old heat gun in my dad's basement.

I'll post again soon :getin:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Not yet, aeropress with a metal or paper filter? I'm hesitant to siphon it(or anything) without an infared burner for super fine temp control.

Paper, I don't like the sediment I get with a metal filter. Don't be afraid of siphons! They're consistently one of my favorite methods when I feel like babying the coffee.

Then again, it might be bias after babying the coffee.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Paper, I don't like the sediment I get with a metal filter. Don't be afraid of siphons! They're consistently one of my favorite methods when I feel like babying the coffee.

Then again, it might be bias after babying the coffee.

Agreed. I get great results from just the simple alcohol burner. I'm going to switch to butane sometime soon, but that's more for ease than temp control. The way the siphon is designed does a good enough job of controlling temperature with the thermodynamics of the pressure change.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Google Butt posted:

What's your brewing process? Coffee/hot water ratio in grams, steep time, water temp, is it stalling out on draw down? I'm on my phone right now but of you search through my posts in this thread I've posted my CCD process that I've been using for months with great success.

The CCD is easy to use, but still requires a bit of experimentation to get right.

One thing I've discovered since I posted my method is that I have to slightly adjust grind size based on the bean and how fresh the roast to keep it from stalling.

I've seen your instructions and do pretty much the same thing (20g coffee, 3 min brew, stir at 1 min, etc). It might be the grind settings I have. For those with the baratza encore which number do you use for the CCD? Does a finer grind usually result in a more acidic or less acidic cup?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
For the guy who asked, sour coffee is a sign of under extraction. You either need to extend time or grind finer assuming you are using enough beans.

Bitter is generally over extracted.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

If you guys haven't tried Sidama Deri Kochoha boy howdy you're missing out. Ethiopians in general have become my go-to for nosy craziness. I usually take mine to about 420F (hair before second crack) to get a little bit of that chocolate base coming through for espresso, but man the berry, tea nose on that thing is insane. I've had it on two different drip machines, pour-over, espresso, and it kicks rear end every time. Gets insanely sweeter as it cools.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'll have to keep my eye out for that. I dig that region a lot. Highly underrated in my opinion.

In other news, I finally broke down and bought the nice electric cordless Bonavita gooseneck kettle. We just moved into a new house and the lovely old kettle we had needed to go since we have an awesome brand new kitchen and I want something nice goddammit.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Tomed2000 posted:

I've seen your instructions and do pretty much the same thing (20g coffee, 3 min brew, stir at 1 min, etc). It might be the grind settings I have. For those with the baratza encore which number do you use for the CCD? Does a finer grind usually result in a more acidic or less acidic cup?

A few pages back everyone came to the conclusion that not-hot-enough water could also cause sourness.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

A few pages back everyone came to the conclusion that not-hot-enough water could also cause sourness.

Not hot enough water would cause under extraction (aka sour) that couldn't be cured by grind or (reasonable) time.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

rockcity posted:

I'll have to keep my eye out for that. I dig that region a lot. Highly underrated in my opinion.

In other news, I finally broke down and bought the nice electric cordless Bonavita gooseneck kettle. We just moved into a new house and the lovely old kettle we had needed to go since we have an awesome brand new kitchen and I want something nice goddammit.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee/africa-arabia/ethiopia?source=side

A few listings down, right under the sampler. I'm about halfway through the 20lb bag of it I bought a while back. :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Alleric posted:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee/africa-arabia/ethiopia?source=side

A few listings down, right under the sampler. I'm about halfway through the 20lb bag of it I bought a while back. :)

Awesome, I'm about ready to place an order from them anyway. I'm probably finally going to grab some sort of pourover brewer too, I'm just debating which one. Oddly enough, it's one of the few brew methods I don't currently have equipment for. The new gooseneck kettle is making me want one now though. I'm thinking V60 or a Chemex.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Get the Hario woodneck. Nel drips are the new darling brew method of the season.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

this cracks me up. CCD, kalita wave entice the coffee masses away from V60 promising less finnicky extraction, more foolproof. Hario retorts with an even finnickier extraction method. they're all like "whatchu got scrub?" :smugbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I've had really good coffee made out of a Nel but that was by some ridiculously skilled barista at Blue Bottle's siphon bar in NYC. Dude had absurd control over his pour rate.

Also he managed to get a perfect ground mound out of the siphon method with only three stirs. Ridiculous.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If you don't put a stroke inducing amount of effort into your cup of coffee may I suggest just having some water and a caffeine pill? But yeah Nel drips are pretty mind blowing when well executed and worth seeking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

If you don't put a stroke inducing amount of effort into your cup of coffee may I suggest just having some water and a caffeine pill? But yeah Nel drips are pretty mind blowing when well executed and worth seeking out.

Is there an issue with the plastic $5.99 Melitta cones?