Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Sten and Iron Bull, with a Qunari PC. :allears:

With the last member being a dwarf, just because it'd be funny to have one dwarf hanging out with three giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd like to see Aveline, but she's pretty much rooted in Kirkwall after getting married and becoming captain of the guard; even after things went to poo poo I don't expect that changing. Was there an ending where she bugs out?

What about temporary party members such as from the origins? It would be interesting to meet a tranquil Jowan; characters could whinge about how cruel it was to make him tranquil but we know how much damage he caused.

On the same note as characters from the origins, there's an elf woman you meet as a human noble who says she has a daughter in the alienage. I don't ever remember finding out what happened to that girl after her mother was murdered, so finding out that she became an adventurer or a shopkeeper or a prostitute or something as a result of that tragedy would be interesting to me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Maybe a little callback for her if you chose the options for a human noble to romance her mother. The noble or their brother adopting her into House Cousland, or even just providing a home for her at Castle Cousland. Her mother did take an arrow for the PC, if unintentionally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They all escape on Isabela's ship; I assume Aveline probably lost her job or decided it was generally not wise to stick around. I like to think she went back to Ferelden and now has a job in the capitol or something.

As for who I'd like to see return as a companion...

Well, Varric would be my choice, and hurrah that's happening. He and Wynne would probably be my choices, but I think Wynne dies ten years after DAO according to Asunder? So that's out.

I guess my top 5 to be made companions again from DAO/DA2 in this order: Varric, Shale, Bethany, Aveline, Charade.

For cameos, I want them to go hog wild again, like they did in DA2. Just bring back everyone, at least for a bit part. I want to see some kind of acknowledgement that Hawke has influenced their direction in life. Douchey mine owner guy! That one kossith mercenary who acts like he's going to be a companion and then doesn't! Also, I want to see the guy who kept complaining that the Viscount was too busy to see him. Oh, oh, and Orana! I will be really disappointed if I don't see her neon green eyeshadow again.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 1, 2013

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

If we're going to have a Grey Warden companion, I'd rather have Nathaniel or the Hawke sibling over the rumored Stroud. I know that he's pretty much the only guaranteed Grey Warden depending on choices, but he was such a minor, irrelevant character in DA2, that I can't see why they'd bring him back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MildShow posted:

If we're going to have a Grey Warden companion, I'd rather have Nathaniel or the Hawke sibling over the rumored Stroud. I know that he's pretty much the only guaranteed Grey Warden depending on choices, but he was such a minor, irrelevant character in DA2, that I can't see why they'd bring him back.

He has a stupid mustache too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MildShow posted:

Hey remember, Merril was a minor irrelevant character in DA:O, and making her a party member turned out great!

Right? :v:

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Nobody. I really hate returning companions. Most of the time, they have a character development arc in their own game, and bringing them into another one and still giving them interesting dialogue and quests requires the writers to completely reverse their character, or worse ignore your input in previous games. That's how we got poo poo like Garrus becoming Batman in ME2 no matter how you influenced him in the first game, Anders becoming gung-ho about totally free mages when he mocked that concept in Awakening, and Oghren abandoning his wife to fight and drink more when you spent his entire arc in Origins helping him not to be like that.

Unless you can actually expand on a character without loving their development up, its not really worth it and just comes off like lip-service.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Has there been any mention of Kal-Sharok in the marketing? That's one of the few things I still find interesting about the setting, and it'd be (conceptually) cool to visit the place or get a bit more information on it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Unless you can actually expand on a character without loving their development up, its not really worth it and just comes off like lip-service.

I generally think returning companions is a bad idea, too. I'd prefer something like Zevran in DA2, where maybe you do a quest with him and maybe he'll help you in the end, but you're not actually controlling him or taking him through an entire arc.

I am straight-up mad that Cullen might be one. gently caress that guy.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Pick posted:

I generally think returning companions is a bad idea, too. I'd prefer something like Zevran in DA2, where maybe you do a quest with him and maybe he'll help you in the end, but you're not actually controlling him or taking him through an entire arc.

I am straight-up mad that Cullen might be one. gently caress that guy.

I would actually like to see Cullen. For a not very important NPC, he sure has gotten a lot of character development and it would be interesting to see his reaction to this whole mess.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I didn't realise that people liked Nathaniel. He has basically zero character after his initial appearance. Maybe that's the thing, though? Likewise Sigrun and Velanna's one character trait. I'm beginning to realise why it was Anders and Justice they ended up bringing back for DA2.

I'd be interested in seeing character like Cullen be brought through to be new companions. Other than Cullen himself, anyway. Technically that's what got us Merrill and Isabella, but I still like the idea of going with some character that has an interesting hook to them rather than a blank slate, and as ever with Bioware games it's the secondary characters that tend to be the most interesting. Like Shianni, or that dwarf who wants to go study with the Circle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Comedy option: Gamlen!

As an LI, natch.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Pick posted:

Comedy option: Gamlen!

As an LI, natch.

I'd honestly rather have Gamlen than Cullen, he'd be like a way creepier Zevran.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bring back Captain Ewald. You all remember Ewald, right?

"I should never have let Hawke into the city..."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lotish posted:

I'd like to see Aveline, but she's pretty much rooted in Kirkwall after getting married and becoming captain of the guard; even after things went to poo poo I don't expect that changing. Was there an ending where she bugs out?

What about temporary party members such as from the origins? It would be interesting to meet a tranquil Jowan; characters could whinge about how cruel it was to make him tranquil but we know how much damage he caused.

On the same note as characters from the origins, there's an elf woman you meet as a human noble who says she has a daughter in the alienage. I don't ever remember finding out what happened to that girl after her mother was murdered, so finding out that she became an adventurer or a shopkeeper or a prostitute or something as a result of that tragedy would be interesting to me.

The elf woman is Iona and her daughter is Amethyne, who's in a corner of the alienage somewhere. You can't actually talk to her -- clicking on her makes her mention her mom and how she's wondering when she's gonna get back from Highever :(. You'd think there'd be an option as a Human Noble to be like "uh, yeah kid, about that...", but oh well.

Also her name comes up yellow, so she'll gently caress you up.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, Iona is a prime example of how badly DA2 mishandled your sibling's death. You barely talk to Carver/Bethany at all before the ogre pulps them, whereas with Iona, you can have like a ten-minute conversation about her hopes and dreams and family, so she's much more of a character than Hawke's dead sibling ever was. I was a lot more pissed when she died than when Carver or Bethany ate it.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 1, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Loghain should come back. Even if he's dead. Because Simon Templeman.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Hubert is confirmed, with a romance. Now you really can clean out his Bone Pit.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I at least want a cursory cameo of Finn and Ariane from Witch Hunt, since the VA's for both characters really give off more than their Whedon-esque origins and writing established.

I can't imagine Sten and Alistair and Loghain won't be at least mentioned in the main plot of Inquisition, considering how vital the first two are to Gaider's loving retarded canon plot progression.

We're probably going to see a Virtue like Wynne or Justice in Awakening, maybe even joined to a companion because the concept is a legitimately good one, and the whole giant tear in the Fade thing is definitely conducive to their reintroduction, especially when they are given an power-progression like Rage-Hunger-Slot-Desire-Pride for demons.

Lastly I hope there's a bearded or female dwarf companion because a gruff, physical, faction-less companion is nearly a prerequisite, even though Iron Bull sounds like he'll fill this spot, as well as a non-Mage (though not like Fenris) from Tevinter. Based on all the visitors from Tevinter in Kirkwall and Ferelden and that concept art last page it sounds like Tevinter is a real lovely, oppressive place, and I really like the idea of a non-slave commoner from Tevinter who is used to magic equating evil/power and social inequality yet having no initial opinion for or against the mage-derived anarchy occuring in basically every other province of Thedas. Basically a simple brute/ruffian with no polar opinion of the freedom/oppression of the chaos of magic that seemingly every companion in Dragon Age II came as emotional baggage with (except Varric of course).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Hubert is confirmed, with a romance. Now you really can clean out his Bone Pit.

Personally, I'm looking forward to our new tank:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MildShow posted:

Well, while Stroud does seem completely boring and irrelevant, he does hint that the Grey Wardens are up to something so big that they can't waste time with a Qunari invasion. That could amount to something in story, but I still thing he'd be far better as a returning NPC instead of a party member.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, we learn absolutely nothing about him in DA2 at least that I can remember; half of his appearances hinge on whether Alistair is still a Grey Warden (and the other half on having Anders during the expedition). I'm sure there are plenty of people that never knew he existed. Maybe they'll do something interesting with him?

VVVV: caught me just before my edit and illustrate my point at the same time. Thank you.

Stroud's DA2 wiki entry.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 1, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lotish posted:

Well, we learn absolutely nothing about him in DA2 at least that I can remember; half of his appearances hinge on whether Alistair is still a Grey Warden. Maybe they'll do something interesting with him?

I have no idea who Stroud is. He shows up in DA2?

Lotish posted:

VVVV: caught me just before my edit and illustrate my point at the same time. Thank you.

Stroud's DA2 wiki entry.

That guy has an amazing moustache I would remember him so that means I don't think he showed up in my game. Alistair was King in my version so that means I never see him?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 1, 2013

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Stroud only has at most two appearances in Dragon Age II, one optional (turning your tainted sibling into a Grey Warden), and one obligatory (giving you Warden's Promise at the end of Act II).

He's the only actual non-DLC Grey Warden you encounter, if you don't count Anders as one since he's pussing out on the big Grey Warden mission that Stroud and company is on in order to apply band-aids on homeless Fereldans in Kirkwall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I hope they change his moustache, but keep him moustachioed. I'd love to have a party member rocking a big thick Tom Selleck. Maybe have a conversation option where you convince him to change his facial hair, but he flatly refuses to shave entirely. He is the moustache and the moustache is him.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

steakmancer posted:

Stroud only has at most two appearances in Dragon Age II, one optional (turning your tainted sibling into a Grey Warden), and one obligatory (giving you Warden's Promise at the end of Act II).

He's the only actual non-DLC Grey Warden you encounter, if you don't count Anders as one since he's pussing out on the big Grey Warden mission that Stroud and company is on in order to apply band-aids on homeless Fereldans in Kirkwall.

Okay my sibling didnt become a grey warden but when is this 'Warden's Promise' thing? Did I black this out. I am pretty sure I would remember the stash.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you imported a save where Alistair was still a Warden, he replaces Stroud during the Qunari attack at the end of Act 2. He comes to your aid in a cutscene, talks about how he has a mission, and gives you a ring before he leaves; he's just there to hint at sequel hooks.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 1, 2013

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
It's like after the last fight in the burning Lowtown during the Qunari uprising and unavoidable. The Warden's Promise was actually a real good ring for Warriors and Rogues.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lotish posted:

If you imported a save where Alistair was still a Warden, he replaces Stroud during the Qunari attack at the end of Act 2. He comes to your aid in a cutscene, talks about how he has a mission, and gives you a ring before he leaves; he's just there to hint at sequel hooks.

Ah ok so I just never had the circumstances for this to happen. This sounds like the perfect character to arbitrarily bring in. I mean outside of Anders I knew and recognized precisely zero of the characters that have been brought forward from previous games to become party members.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 1, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As much as people might complain about it, Isabela was a good choice for companion: a character people might vaguely remember but who didn't have a defined character or arc from DAO. It was more like a neat callback than bringing back a "character".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

As much as people might complain about it, Isabela was a good choice for companion: a character people might vaguely remember but who didn't have a defined character or arc from DAO. It was more like a neat callback than bringing back a "character".

I'll be honest and say I never knew Isabela was in DA:O until people pointed it out and didn't even recognise the scene she was from....so yea I guess?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Yo I had the good fortune of not running into Isabella my entire recent playthrough so there was one facet of the poo poo diamond that Dragon Age II was missing.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

steakmancer posted:

Yo I had the good fortune of not running into Isabella my entire recent playthrough so there was one facet of the poo poo diamond that Dragon Age II was missing.

My first DAII playthrough I didn't reqruit Isabella (I also stuck Anders in a corner and never interacted with him) and the plot made poo poo for sense. I just couldn't understand a thing that was happening and there was no explenation. Then I got a prompt asking me to kill Anders so I did. My first playthrough was so weird. (I also didn't reqruit fenris but that didn't really make a diffrence)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fenris is shockingly unrelated to anything, as opposed to Anders who is god-damned determined to be the PC's center of attention at all times.

I refuse to bandwagon Hepler; she as good a writer as anyone on DA2, but holy poo poo did Anders have "writer's pet" written all over him, even by the standards of a Bioware game.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't even think the Arishok mentioned the tome without Isabella so the whole Qunari uprising was literally based off just the dwarfradical elf stealing the Joker gas and the whole criminal extradition thing :jerkbag:, so even if that plot beat was more nonsensical than usual at least I didn't have to deal with a poorly written sex joke during every area change.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Pick posted:

I refuse to bandwagon Hepler; she as good a writer as anyone on DA2,

There's really no need for that kind of savagery.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

That's how we got poo poo like Garrus becoming Batman in ME2 no matter how you influenced him in the first game,

The Punisher.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't want Sten to return in Inquisition, but I have this mounting dread that he will show up. That comic where he was made THE loving ARISHOK will be made canon, I just loving know it.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah that's Bioware official canon, where Varris, Isabella and Alistair the king of loving Ferelden form the Justice League of Thedas and rescue Cailan Theirin's dad and ughghghghhgghghhg

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

steakmancer posted:

Yeah that's Bioware official canon, where Varris, Isabella and Alistair the king of loving Ferelden form the Justice League of Thedas and rescue Cailan Theirin's dad and ughghghghhgghghhg

Hey now, it wasn't that bad. Yeah, that's damning with faint praise but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still, it's not like the proud warrior archetype who becomes the leader of his nation hasn't been done before. Except for Wrex, and Canderous (that one is Obsidian, but it still counts considering that Canderous was a Bioware creation). I mean, I thought that the Qunari were supposed to be sorted into their societal roles based on aptitude tests. How the hell does a Sten who was part of the Baresaad suddenly get promoted to one of the triumvirate that control the Qunari nation? Isn't he fixed to his position as Sten?

• Locked thread