Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Betjeman posted:

Thomas doesn't satirise, his cartoons are blunt instruments. He thinks Clegg is a loser for having aspirations for his party and he's suggesting that the LibDems are the arsewipes of politics. It's straight up insult, nothing clever.

It's a straight up insult that's based in reality and delivered well, rather than an incompetent bit of waffle about either the Queen or immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
See I'd argue it's not delivered well at all - needing to say "He's a loser" because without that it could appear as quite an endearment towards him, and no Express reader would have any truck with that. You could argue that Thomas is constrained by the opinion that the Express editor has of its readers, but I tend to veer towards the concept that Thomas doesn't have a creative or funny bone in his body.

If anything it comes off as a massive bully-boy Tory ego, which I wouldn't expect to find sitting at the front row of a Lib Dem conference.

E: Let's not forget that the Express' party of choice, UKIP, have aspirations to get approximately one MP in parliament at the next election, if they do exceptionally well. UKIP would give their right nut to be where the Lib Dems are at the moment.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 19, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne and the housing market - The chancellor told the Institute of Directors that he was 'alert to the risks but let's not pretend there's a housing boom'"

Betjeman posted:

UKIP would give their right nut to be where the Lib Dems are at the moment.
Independent:

Express:

Face veils in hospital under review

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

He really does have a fear of leaving empty space in the lower corners of the cartoon, doesn't he?

(Also not a terrible cartoon - the guy on the left has a stupid reaction and that's a hell of an incision, but it's fair to point out that hospitals already have people who in their professional role have all but their eyes covered. The story is still stupid in general and I'm probably going to be called out for this again :v:)

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 20, 2013

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Typical NHS hospitals that can't be bothered to *shoo* out any birds from the operating room

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Syria - Syria's deputy prime minister says the war has reached a stalemate"

Telegraph:

Memoirs are starting to be published revealing Labour in-fighting. Have some emails.

Independent:

After John Collier.

Stephen Collins:

I hope you comprehend.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Syria - Syria's deputy prime minister says the war has reached a stalemate"

Could someone identify the man between Gove and dead Blair? And if they know who the shoulders belong to, that would be impressive.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Could someone identify the man between Gove and dead Blair? And if they know who the shoulders belong to, that would be impressive.

'Briar', on Comment is Free posted:

Brilliant. What is missing is the Western media - "liberal" outlets like this one, still gunning for Assad, or commentators like the NYT's Kristof whose compassion for the victims is so great he urgently wants to start bombing them to free them (from life itself, presumably). The propaganda attached to this war stinks to high heaven.

'CartoonistRowson' posted:

They're there, represented by David Aaronovitch, sitting among the armchair warriors between Gove & Blair's skeleton...

peace & love

Martin Rowson

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Squishy posted:

Shoulders? You mean Obama's arm?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Labour-on-Sea - Chris Riddell on the difficulties facing Ed Miliband at the Labour party conference in Brighton"

Sunday Telegraph:

(apologies for the low quality)

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Labour conference 2013"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Kenya 'united' as stand-off goes on

Express:

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Kenya 'united' as stand-off goes on

Express:

The contrast of Actual Commentary vs the phoned in poo poo at the bottom always tickles me.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Legitimately horrifying.

quote:

Express:

Legitimately horrifying.

BastardySkull posted:

The contrast of Actual Commentary vs the phoned in poo poo at the bottom always tickles me.
Pfft, see above. :colbert:

In related news, Downton Abbey actually poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What kind of old rear end tv is that :colbert:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Ed Balls at the Labour party conference – The shadow chancellor makes his speech to the party faithful in Brighton"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Express:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Ed Balls at the Labour party conference – The shadow chancellor makes his speech to the party faithful in Brighton"

drat condoms on the beach!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I spotted the quail easily enough, but no fox?

Edit: that's the only reason I actually look at the Express cartoons.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The guy on the far left's tie is a fox tail.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thomas has such a mastery of perspective. I particularly like Ed's microphone standing in the middle of the audience right behind the guy apparently literally half his height. Also all the audience members standing behind the speaker and looking at the sleeping panel on stage.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

This is after an absolute classic of a railway poster, which appeared in various flavours from the 1920s through to the 1950s.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Miliband's speech at the Labour party conference. After Charles Atlas.

Telegraph:

End of VW camper van production.

Independent:

Labour to announce plans for 200,000 homes a year by 2020

Express:

Just a heads-up: I'm away for the next week. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

UnCO3 posted:

The guy on the far left's tie is a fox tail.

Christ, good eye.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Fat cats and Firefighters.

Peter Mandelson's criticism of Ed Miliband's energy pledge

Fluo posted:

This weeks so far:

And this week's IF...

:siren: Steve Bell on Ed Miliband 'sick and tired of being a weed' at Labour party conference video :siren:

Independent:

Mandelson raises doubts over Labour energy bill freeze

Ed Milliband will price freeze Energy.

Telegraph:

Asda and Tesco withdraw Halloween patient outfits. And A landmark report says scientists are 95% certain that humans are the "dominant cause" of global warming since the 1950s.

Ed Milliband will price freeze Energy.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Can someone tell me why Cable is a yellow elephant?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

In the 2010 campaign, Cable said that the economy was "the elephant in the room" which both Labour and Conservatives had tried to banish, which he guessed made him "the elephant man." The yellow is because he's a Lib-Dem.
To be honest the only nickname I've heard for him is Saint Vince (with a lot more irony lately) but I guess that's not as funny.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Conservative conference 2013

IPCC report

:allears: Stephen Collins :allears:

Telegraph:

Pint of ale and a smoke seems to be "UKIP" image. :negative:

Independent:

Seems they're trying out some new artists.

Based off of one of Ingles' Bather series

Daily Express:

No comment. :suicide:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Pint of ale and a smoke seems to be "UKIP" image. :negative:
For the full UKIP experience, mix the two.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
That's a pretty passable Forsyth by Thomas. And Stephen Collins was wonderful, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzBd41NuZw

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's conference speech - George Osborne used his speech at the 2013 Conservative party conference to announce that a Tory government would seek to run an overall budget surplus by 2020"

Independent:

"In his keynote speech in Manchester, Mr Osborne also said he intended to freeze fuel duty for the rest of the Parliament, up to May 2015, if the money could be found."

Express:

Reggie Perrin reference?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So I've drawn the cigarettes, the alcohol and the widescreen TV. What else do benefit scroungers like... cacti? I am pretty sure they like cacti.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
:siren: FLATSCREEN TV :siren:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

What's Gordon Brown doing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So I've drawn the cigarettes, the alcohol and the widescreen TV. What else do benefit scroungers like... cacti? I am pretty sure they like cacti.
Sitting side on to their TVs, apparently.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Poor People :argh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's conference speech - George Osborne used his speech at the 2013 Conservative party conference to announce that a Tory government would seek to run an overall budget surplus by 2020"

Reference is to Delaroche's "Napoleon abdicating at Fontainebleu":

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson's hair - Boris Johnson signalled a more constructive relationship with David Cameron when he launched a strong defence of the prime minister in his speech to the Tory conference"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Barack Obama: Republicans want 'ransom' to end shutdown

Yesterday's Mail:
"Job seekers are encouraged to do jobs to earn their benefits like cooking for the elderly."

quote:

“Apart from fish fingers and bacon butties, has one got any other delicacies in ones repertoire?”

Mail:
"Job seekers are required now to report every day to Job centres to look for work."

quote:

“Today I will tell a few jokes then Mrs Potts will demonstrate how to make a useful pencil case out of a plastic bottle and some sticky tape.”

Express:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I thought he thought jobseekers are scroungers?

In this new one, he shows the jobcentre now having no jobs surely implying that they can't be lazy if there is no employment opportunities?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Geokinesis posted:

I thought he thought jobseekers are scroungers?

In this new one, he shows the jobcentre now having no jobs surely implying that they can't be lazy if there is no employment opportunities?

Populism is not rational.

Just wait until gangs start forming in the people who are there all day every day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why would Cameron want to put Boris into an oven? Boris isn't poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Jedit posted:

Why would Cameron want to put Boris into an oven? Boris isn't poor.

Cameron has a bun in the oven and it's Boris?

• Locked thread