Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Ghost Hand posted:

Thanks man! They essentially cost me $12 to build and paint!

That sounds... frugal. Are you okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Uh no it's a clear reading of the rules. Vehicles save against glancing/penetrating hits and the grav gun doesn't cause them. It's completely possible that this is intentional.

And while that is neat, let's be clear kids. Grav guns are not good anti tank guns. Necrons can get away with glancing on 6s to bring down tanks (kind of) because they have the volume of fire to make it happen. A handful of shots from a grav gun hoping for 6s is not a good idea. In other words....

Corrode posted:

Bads gonna bad.

And unrelated, here is a thing I did last night:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Squifferific posted:

I picked up a Sentinel on Ebay for cheap a little while ago. First thing I noticed was that it was the older metal version, which is fine I guess. Second thing I noticed, well...

The best part is that it came from the UK. Somewhere in England, there's an army of Space Racists.

I thought this was the only metal sentinel

in the background are 3 old sentinels back when you could buy 3 packs of them. They didnt come with armored cockpits so I had to buy the bits so they would match the one newer one I have.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JEEVES420 posted:

I thought this was the only metal sentinel

The old plastic sentinel had a metal conversion kit to give it extra armor and the like. That enclosed compartment is all metal bits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Crossposting grimglowdark

I can just see my Eldar, as they're running towards the back of the Serpent, holding out their hands with a red left thumb and a green right thumb so that they remember which side of the tank is which :v:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SRM posted:

The old plastic sentinel had a metal conversion kit to give it extra armor and the like. That enclosed compartment is all metal bits.

hmm starting to remember now; wasnt it for the Steel Legion?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JEEVES420 posted:

hmm starting to remember now; wasnt it for the Steel Legion?

Yeah, but there was a Cadian version too. That was typically fielded with the top hatch off (to show the Cadian head on the dude inside) and an autocannon if I remember correctly.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

SRM posted:

Yeah, but there was a Cadian version too. That was typically fielded with the top hatch off (to show the Cadian head on the dude inside) and an autocannon if I remember correctly.

That explains a lot. This guy is very top heavy. I thought at first it was because it was so racist, but your explanation makes more sense.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Today was a big day.

I went into a hobby store for the first time in forever, bought a box of plastic spacemans (I now have a 70 point army!) and then botched the paint job on one of my guardsmen so badly that he looks like a 3rd grade art project.

I am beyond excited to throw all of my money into this. Thanks goons!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Today was a big day.

I went into a hobby store for the first time in forever, bought a box of plastic spacemans (I now have a 70 point army!) and then botched the paint job on one of my guardsmen so badly that he looks like a 3rd grade art project.

One of us! One of us!

I still hope to run into you sometime soon.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Today was a big day.

Hurrah, hurrah! Welcome to the hobby. I hope you have as much fun as humanly possible with plastic space barbies.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am sure we will rub shoulders soon, Jerry! I recently moved to the area as well, so I am excited to meet you and be beaten by you one of these days! I hope to make it out next Wednesday.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am sure we will rub shoulders soon, Jerry! I recently moved to the area as well, so I am excited to meet you and be beaten by you one of these days! I hope to make it out next Wednesday.

Just brown wash it. It will make it look decent. The best tip is to get a spray paint that can handle your base coat. Then, pick out details, then wash it. Just paint it for you, and get it on the tabletop. You can always go back and fix things later. Basing helps, too.

First mini circa 2008

Favorite mini circa 2012

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

Favorite mini circa 2012

What IS this beautiful monstrosity?

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Hencoe posted:

What IS this beautiful monstrosity?

A Deff Dread standing on 2 Killa Kans with Killa Kan for a head. Here it is unpainted.

I don't play Forge World, or I would run it as a MegaDread. Maybe, pop some Riptide weapons on it for my Tau-Orks?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Squifferific posted:

The best part is that it came from the UK. Somewhere in England, there's an army of Space Racists.
It ain't 'bout race, it's 'bout state's rights. One o' these day, the South, she gonna rise again and teach that boy in th' White House his'm proper place!

(Also acceptable: the phrase "War of Northern Aggression" used in any context.)

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
I've poked around a tad but can't any good tutorials on painting Valkyrie canopies. The clear plastic is ok, but I'd like to find a convincing looking scheme to paint over it instead. Like maybe a deep light look from inside... That and I don't feel like painting the pilots.

There. I said it.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

First time painting mans in years and years and years. The idea is to have regular squads have red shoulders, vet squads green and command squads blue or something. 10 down, many more to go.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Dump_Stat posted:

I've poked around a tad but can't any good tutorials on painting Valkyrie canopies. The clear plastic is ok, but I'd like to find a convincing looking scheme to paint over it instead. Like maybe a deep light look from inside... That and I don't feel like painting the pilots.

There. I said it.

Quickly paint your pilots and use Humbrol Clear to tint the windows. I tried to do that with this but didn't realize that the pilot canopy wouldn't fit with the grot gunner so he ended up being exposed.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Dump_Stat posted:

There. I said it.

I was lazy and painted the canopy of my Stormraven flat black for that same reason, they have sensors and stuff they don't need to see out the canopy to fly :colbert: In hindsight I should have gone with something ridiculous like chrome spray paint with some metallic finishing powder. You could always go for a super dark black tint job on the canopy by dipping it in some color treated Future until it's almost-but-not-quite opaque.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 1, 2013

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Pacheeco posted:

I was lazy and painted the canopy of my Stormraven flat black for that same reason, they have sensors and stuff they don't need to see out the canopy to fly :colbert: In hindsight I should have gone with something ridiculous like chrome spray paint with some metallic finishing powder. You could always go for a super dark black tint job on the canopy by dipping it in some color treated Future until it's almost-but-not-quite opaque.

I primed over the canopy of my Fire Prism, so just kept it black and put loads of gloss on it to look like some kind of future one-way glass or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nid News: The same Warpshadow guy who posted accurate rumors of the previous nid codex says that he's pretty certain they're coming January :supaburn:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Squifferific posted:

I picked up a Sentinel on Ebay for cheap a little while ago. First thing I noticed was that it was the older metal version, which is fine I guess. Second thing I noticed, well...

As an American who's lived in the UK for 10 years now, I'm pretty sure this is mostly to do with being a fan of The Dukes of Hazzard TV show rather than being racist. If they were racist they'd most likely have the St George flag (white field, red cross), which is the English national flag (spawning discussion on how sad it is the British racists have co-opted that flag).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, some people just seem to latch on to the Confederate flag. I've seen it in Canada. One time I saw a pickup truck in Calgary with the drat thing taking up its entire rear window. Except the stars were replaced with white maple leaves. :wtc:

As someone who grew up in and currently lives in Texas I just don't get the fixation with it. I tend to look upon anyone flying that flag as an idiot. Which I guess includes the entire state of Mississippi.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've seen it in a tattoo shop here. I've also heard rumours that they're racist as poo poo, though probably not hard core enough to join the EDL or something, so that's probably it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I guess even the racists need a flag or symbol that says "yeah we hate minorities, but we don't have NAZI level, hate, geez". I grew up in Texas, too, so seeing a confederate flag in the UK just makes me giggle or shake my head, depending on my mood. My girlfriend has a neighbor that has a tiny Confederate flag flying in his back garden. No idea why. But then I had a Scottish flag hanging in my bedroom for a while, just because I'm part Scottish. Now I have Chaos symbols and stuff. *shrugs*

Anyway - back to 40K, if Nids are coming early 2014, does that mean we can expect something else (Orcs?) next month, and another Fantasy/Hobbit release in December?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

krushgroove posted:

Anyway - back to 40K, if Nids are coming early 2014, does that mean we can expect something else (Orcs?) next month, and another Fantasy/Hobbit release in December?

Next month is the WHFB Dark Elves second wave, I think.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

krushgroove posted:

I guess even the racists need a flag or symbol that says "yeah we hate minorities, but we don't have NAZI level, hate, geez". I grew up in Texas, too, so seeing a confederate flag in the UK just makes me giggle or shake my head, depending on my mood. My girlfriend has a neighbor that has a tiny Confederate flag flying in his back garden. No idea why. But then I had a Scottish flag hanging in my bedroom for a while, just because I'm part Scottish. Now I have Chaos symbols and stuff. *shrugs*

If I had a garden I would too, though I would also have a union era American flag right across a small divide.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

krushgroove posted:

There's a slight chance that a 40k inquisition themed side game will come out, but I'm feeling doubtful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Argh. Trying to paint a black templar dreadnought, but I painted the rest of the army by basecoating Mechanicus Standard Grey and washing with Nuln Oil. But because of all the flat panel, I had to base this proper black. And it's a nightmare to paint.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

VogeGandire posted:

Argh. Trying to paint a black templar dreadnought, but I painted the rest of the army by basecoating Mechanicus Standard Grey and washing with Nuln Oil. But because of all the flat panel, I had to base this proper black. And it's a nightmare to paint.
You could've mixed that grey with black, painted it that darker midtone, and then shaded in just the recesses.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nah, it's about time I actually learned how to do line highlights. It's not looking too bad, honestly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The difference between good line highlights and bad highlights is more or less how much time you spend cleaning them up, so just be sure to touch em up afterward and they should be good.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I wish I was in the Eye of Terror
Old times they are not forgotten;
Look away! Look away! Look away! Demon World

:black101: THE WAR OF IMPERIAL AGGRESSION, NEVER FORGET! :black101:

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 1, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think it's appropriate, given the conversation:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does the crew munch on freedom fries as they're driving that around?

On a side note, it's interesting that cardboard gives instant cooling vents like that when turned into a cannon barrel.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

SRM posted:

I think it's appropriate, given the conversation:

I guess this version of America only has 33 states.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And 11 original colonies.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Guys it's an abstraction like all of 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, they rolled a 2 (needed 3+) on their American History check.

• Locked thread