Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lucid Delusion posted:

After cashing out my PIS stock I decided to get some custom rides for Michael and Franklin.

And you promptly lost them forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

9 hours until the download file is out for Online. Ahhhhhh

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Another cool detail I didn't notice until after I took this picture:

Amanda's mascara is running due to the rain.

(Also, I played Michael with a beard for most of the game and it's freaking me out when I see him without one.)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

leidend posted:

Excellent. Went to the gif thread and found this similar experience

There's a gif thread? Where?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

leidend posted:

How did they get a car that high up?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

How did they get a car that high up?

Cargo plane. You can get it from Zancudo. You might be able to buy it from the military surplus store - I forgot.

FAC-7
Aug 19, 2009

leidend posted:

Also, just to clarify, this is a photoshopped clip taken from the second trailer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

webmeister posted:

Going back to Trevor for a sec, doesn't he directly say at one point that he was in the Canadian Air Force? I'm sure he says it during a drive with a side character, maybe Wade or Lamar?

Trevor isn't Canadian, he was just born really close to the Canadian border. And yes, he was in the air force though he was grounded after a psychological evaluation.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Odette posted:

There's a gif thread? Where?

Just the generic PYF gif thread.

I asked on the suggestions forum for a GTA sub forum before I realized the whole thing is to make "funny" jokes.

FAC-7 posted:

Also, just to clarify, this is a photoshopped clip taken from the second trailer.

lovely. Good photoshop though.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

RatHat posted:

Trevor isn't Canadian, he was just born really close to the Canadian border. And yes, he was in the air force though he was grounded after a psychological evaluation.

He's definitely Canadian. The game makes it extremely obvious short of him just saying "I am Canadian". He's probably an illegal immigrant too. Why would he ask that tea party guy what he thinks about Canadian immigrants if he just lived near the border?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Also, the voice actor is from Calgary.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And you promptly lost them forever?

Probably. Actually I have them both parked at their houses in those garages instead of the street garages. I figured I had a better shot of retaining them there for a while until that glitch is patched.

Speaking of which, here's Trevor's.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FAC-7 posted:

I got pasted by a loving jet flying under a bridge during Trev's first flight mission. I'd have been pissed if it wasn't so drat awesome looking. No wanted level or anything, and it looked like something out of FOX's World's Greatest Airshow Disasters.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered already but can anyone tell me why the assassinations stocks only swing at MOST 50% for me? I keep hearing people getting at least double or TRIPLE their investment and after reading about it online there seems to be no explanation for why mine is different. I'm waiting at least 20 minutes for the stocks to swing, but it never gets that high, and I get bored or freaked out that it might start going down so I cash out. I'm signed up with the Social Club and am with a crew with my friends, so I know my game is connected to the Rockstar markets. Does anyone else even HAVE this problem or is my copy just retarded?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Modern Day Hercules posted:

He's definitely Canadian. The game makes it extremely obvious short of him just saying "I am Canadian". He's probably an illegal immigrant too. Why would he ask that tea party guy what he thinks about Canadian immigrants if he just lived near the border?

I knew an illegal Canadian immigrant in the US. It seemed remarkably easy for her and she had no problems working in real estate and crossing the border back and forth for visits.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vietnamwees posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered already but can anyone tell me why the assassinations stocks only swing at MOST 50% for me? I keep hearing people getting at least double or TRIPLE their investment and after reading about it online there seems to be no explanation for why mine is different. I'm waiting at least 20 minutes for the stocks to swing, but it never gets that high, and I get bored or freaked out that it might start going down so I cash out. I'm signed up with the Social Club and am with a crew with my friends, so I know my game is connected to the Rockstar markets. Does anyone else even HAVE this problem or is my copy just retarded?

It takes hours and days, not 20 minutes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vietnamwees posted:

I think I found your problem.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Trevor is basically an Adult Swim character. He would be right at home in pretty much any Adult Swim show. He can go from cartoonishly endearing to cartoonishly horrifying between one scene and the next. I'm not a huge fan of Michael, he's not awful by any means but he's not very compelling. He starts out so broken up about his family, but as soon as they all ditch him, he doesn't seem to mind. He feels like such a generic character and personality and there's no real joy in playing as him. As Franklin or Trevor I will kind of roleplay the character's personality, e.g. as trevor I will swerve out of my way to hit animals and pedestrians, as Franklin I will be respectful of the rules until it serves me better not to be, but as Michael I just feel like "generic middle-aged burglar".

I appreciate the character-switching gimmick on a gameplay-level and I think it was an exciting change to the series, but I spent the entire second half of the storyline wishing that Franklin was the main character and Michael and Trevor were just important story personalities. Franklin is the only character working his way up from the bottom, he's the only level-headed and rational of the playable characters, and he's surrounded by interesting side characters.

From a narrative perspective, the character switching detached me from each of the characters, because each individual character was a rather small piece of the overall pie, they didn't do much on their own and the vast majority of their cutscene/dialog screen-time was in the context of the other two characters. I wanted to dive more in to the whole Forum Gangstas mythos and see more interaction between Franklin and Lamar and Stretch and Denise, or Michael's family, or Trevor's meth operation.

What I'd prefer to see in the next game in the series is a singular main character for the narrative, but the character-switching gimmick remaining intact for general play, loving around, and swapping around during firefights, maybe the extra characters could be members of the main character's gang or something.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 1, 2013

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

The game makes it extremely obvious short of him just saying "I am Canadian".

He essentially does during the military rampage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I don't know what to tell you, he definitely says he just lived close to the border and wasn't actually Canadian. It's during the story he tells Wade when they're driving to Los Santos.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

We were just pretending to get more out of our investments than we really were because we thought it was funny.

It's kinda like tricking someone into putting semen on their body by telling them the smell attracts women (the kind of women you don't bring home to meet the family, I guess).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Trevor is clearly the designated gently caress ALL LIFE charcter, he's got a plane and a helicopter and an offroad vehicle by default, they're practically begging the player to go nuts with him

Jakcson posted:

It's kinda like tricking someone into putting semen on their body by telling them the smell attracts women (the kind of women you don't bring home to meet the family, I guess).

Wait, what!?! NOW you tell me

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Ror posted:

Also, the voice actor is from Calgary.

You can totally hear his Canadian accent at times. Makes me think all the Canadian crap was ad-libbed, or added after picking the actor. Cool detail :3:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The first time I flew a plane was during one of Trevor's first missions and it was going OK until Ron decided that his only escape was through death because he crashed into me and blew us both up.

I really didn't mess around with the hanging out with friends stuff until post-game where I called up both Lamar and Franklin as Trevor and decided to start some fights. While Franklin whipped out a gun, Lamar apparently didn't have one with him since he just used his fists. That was a little disappointing until I started running from the cops and Lamar's AI goes into "drive by" mode only since he doesn't have a gun he's just giving the cops the finger out of the back window the whole time. I know it wasn't scripted but it felt so right.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Chard posted:

Trevor is clearly the designated gently caress ALL LIFE charcter, he's got a plane and a helicopter and an offroad vehicle by default, they're practically begging the player to go nuts with him

Hes the stereotypical GTA player actually thrown into the GTA universe. Kills indiscriminately, changes his mind at the drop of a hat, has anger issues (leading to rampages), no respect for authority, etc.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 1, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

but as Michael I just feel like "generic middle-aged burglar".

I enjoy getting into gunfights as Michael because I feel like killing is like nothing but part of the job description to him. Trevor's a maniac psycho, and Franklin's meant to come from that cartoon gangsta culture where killing is a thing you measure your dick by. Michael mostly puts about as much thought and emotion into killing dudes as some office guy running a copier. It's not the most exciting character trait in the world, but I kinda dig playing him as cold-blooded.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Lucid Delusion posted:

Probably. Actually I have them both parked at their houses in those garages instead of the street garages. I figured I had a better shot of retaining them there for a while until that glitch is patched.

Speaking of which, here's Trevor's.

Actually, its the exact opposite (at least for me) the cars disappear from safe house garages but not from the big street garages. I think the reason they may disappear is because sometimes the characters will drive them. At least once I've switched to a character and had him cruising in one of the cars I stored in the garage. I've also seen a car I put in mike's driveway that I know I put in the garage.

Personally, I blame Jimmy, and Lemar, and maybe Ron for taking all the missing cars.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

RatHat posted:

I don't know what to tell you, he definitely says he just lived close to the border and wasn't actually Canadian. It's during the story he tells Wade when they're driving to Los Santos.

I took that as him protesting too much, with the implication being that he refuses to admit to being Canadian.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

He actually says "I'm Canadian" to one of the people you can chat with. Forgot who though.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

RatHat posted:

This is stupid. Do you also believe that Wade's friends ditched him to go to the gathering because that's what Trevor told him Protip: Trevor killed those dudes. He lies to Wade like 100% of the time. The entire rest of the game says Trevor is Canadian, and that one line is pretty much delivered exactly like someone who's lying to stay in the closet too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

I enjoy getting into gunfights as Michael because I feel like killing is like nothing but part of the job description to him. Trevor's a maniac psycho, and Franklin's meant to come from that cartoon gangsta culture where killing is a thing you measure your dick by. Michael mostly puts about as much thought and emotion into killing dudes as some office guy running a copier. It's not the most exciting character trait in the world, but I kinda dig playing him as cold-blooded.

When I had to jack a truck for the first heist I just tracked it down, drove ahead of it, got out of my car, and had Michael stand in the middle of the highway. As the truck approached, I flipped on bullet-time and popped the driver once in the head with a suppressed pistol. Hauled out the corpse, got in, drove off.

No muss, no fuss, no mess, God bless.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

He's from Winnipeg, you idiots.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Pretty sure this starts off as him saying he's from Canada and then "correcting" to "Canada/America border region" or something similar. At the time I took it as him being on the Canadian side but close to the border. Later he leans into the Canada stuff more too.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

When I had to jack a truck for the first heist I just tracked it down, drove ahead of it, got out of my car, and had Michael stand in the middle of the highway. As the truck approached, I flipped on bullet-time and popped the driver once in the head with a suppressed pistol. Hauled out the corpse, got in, drove off.

No muss, no fuss, no mess, God bless.

He reminds me a bit of Mr. White from Reservoir Dogs. If it's between him doing a stretch and some dumb loving citizen, it ain't no choice.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Oh my god, the fighter jets are so much fun. Stole one from the base and had a ball just hailing missiles on cop cars/helicopters.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Through a sniper scope on a highway overpass I just watched a cop car in pursuit ramp over the median and flip. The perp sped off while the cops got out of their incapacitated vehicle and attempted to lawfully commandeer the SUV of a passerby. As the officer tried to maneuver away, the irate and not at all civic-minded Los Santaleno (what do you actually call people from Los Santos?) pulled the cop out of the vehicle and was promptly shot in the face by cop #2. Cop 1 got back in the truck, and sped towards me, in the opposite direction of the original chase. I was going to let him be, until I noticed he had left his partner behind, who must be just devastated after the previous events. I couldn't let such callousness go unpunished so at the last second I pulled my scope into position and pulled off a miracle shot through the top inch of the windscreen, down into the cop's head.

Cue a 10 minute police chase culminating in me stealing a jet from the airport and eventually escaping. This game is so good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Last One is really weird. :stare: w-was he the friendly dog all along?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DangerDummy! posted:

He's from Winnipeg, you idiots.

Go back to Toronto!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Here's some rides of mine

Juiced to the gills for the races

My baby, my Karin Futo dooooriftu car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

They only found me when they heard me take the picture :(

• Locked thread