Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I just tried watching a Youtube video on the browser that hardlocked my Wii U three times in a row before the update, and it worked. :toot: Youtube being broken on the browser was a big bummer, I'm glad that's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While it sucks that you need a Wiimote and Classic Controller, it still better then nothing. Do hope they work on adding controller binding for Classic Controller and games that used the Wiimote like a NES controller (Warioland Shake It, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also new is support for audio out over Wii A/V cables alongside HDMI video out, so everyone who had Surround Sound problems - IT'S FIXED!!!!

FURTHERMORE, Wii-based VC games now autocorrect to 4:3 over HDMI (and on the GamePad screen) when in Wii Mode, so you don't have to compensate for stretching.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Also new is support for audio out over Wii A/V cables alongside HDMI video out, so everyone who had Surround Sound problems - IT'S FIXED!!!!

FURTHERMORE, Wii-based VC games now autocorrect to 4:3 over HDMI (and on the GamePad screen) when in Wii Mode, so you don't have to compensate for stretching.

These are good and cool and welcome fixes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

While it sucks that you need a Wiimote and Classic Controller, it still better then nothing. Do hope they work on adding controller binding for Classic Controller and games that used the Wiimote like a NES controller (Warioland Shake It, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns).

I'd bet they're at least looking into options for pad-only control, but it's a problem that's trickier that it seems on the surface. I can see a few potential problems and Nintendo is obsessed with avoiding needless complications so they won't go for the quick and dirty solutions that people in this thread would be fine with. Maybe six months from now we'll get classic controller emulation as an option for offscreen play, but it's not coming until Nintendo is completely satisfied with the results.

Wii VC offscreen play removes a lot of the incentive for paying to switch games to the Wii U...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Wait, so I can use my old Wii cables to get surround sound now? Cause they ain't doing nothing sticking out of my Wii right now. Do I need more than just the basic red/white duo?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm surprised that they figured out how to output Wii mode to the gamepad before translating Gamepad buttons into Classic Controller buttons. I would have thought the latter would be a lot easier.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

You can purchase an Official Wii U Charge Stand kit from Nintendo, I think. The Nintendo World Store in NYC has them.

Wii Party U comes bundled with a Gamepad stand alongside the Wiimote Plus, too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I'd bet they're at least looking into options for pad-only control, but it's a problem that's trickier that it seems on the surface. I can see a few potential problems and Nintendo is obsessed with avoiding needless complications so they won't go for the quick and dirty solutions that people in this thread would be fine with. Maybe six months from now we'll get classic controller emulation as an option for offscreen play, but it's not coming until Nintendo is completely satisfied with the results.

I do know that certain games will behave differently if a Classic Controller is connected, so it might be necessary to incorporate a toggle for the function. But I can't see how it'd be super complicated.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

One factor is that the Wii U GamePad DOES NOT use BlueTooth to send the controller inputs or get any rumble or audio signals, UNLIKE the Wii Remote. I'd bet on Wii U Pro Controller support for Wii Mode coming BEFORE GamePad support, though to be honest I figure we'll get both at the same time. Pro support is less of a technical hurdle, is what I'm saying.

I'm still REALLY surprised by the Off-TV Wii support to begin with. I wanna know how they managed that. Maybe there'll be an Iwata Asks to enlighten us.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait, so I can use my old Wii cables to get surround sound now? Cause they ain't doing nothing sticking out of my Wii right now. Do I need more than just the basic red/white duo?

I've never really set up a Surround Sound system before but I imagine the red/white will do just fine - I don't think the Wii ever had any other audio-out options and there were DEFINITELY Wii games that supported Surround Sound.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

Wii VC offscreen play removes a lot of the incentive for paying to switch games to the Wii U...

'cept for us PALs who still get the benefit of upgrading to 60hz versions of most games.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

DoctorWhat posted:

One factor is that the Wii U GamePad DOES NOT use BlueTooth to send the controller inputs or get any rumble or audio signals, UNLIKE the Wii Remote. I'd bet on Wii U Pro Controller support for Wii Mode coming BEFORE GamePad support, though to be honest I figure we'll get both at the same time. Pro support is less of a technical hurdle, is what I'm saying.

Why would any of that matter? That would be going about solving the problem the totally wrong way. The Wii U has no problem taking Wii's video signal and spitting it out to the gamepad. It should be able to feed input in just the same. No need for the gamepad to interact directly with Wii's subsystems.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Other neat stuff I just saw on a list on NeoGaf: L/R for rewind/fast forward on videos in the browser, and the browser can finally save passwords.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah all I can think of is mapping the CC to the gamepad and just popping up a warning that not all games are compatible. There's not really a simple global way around games that only work with remote+nunchuck.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sylpher posted:

Why would any of that matter? That would be going about solving the problem the totally wrong way. The Wii U has no problem taking Wii's video signal and spitting it out to the gamepad. It should be able to feed input in just the same. No need for the gamepad to interact directly with Wii's subsystems.

We don't even know HOW the Wii U is splitting the video signal in the first place, seeing as how the Wii hardware within the Wii U was (until now(?)) the devoted GamePad-management hardware. So until we know what "just the same" is, we have no idea how much overhead emulating a Wii Remote would require, what kind of lag that might introduce, or whether it can be done at all.

Not to mention the ENDLESS frigging Customer Service calls and the like if SOME Wii games get Pad support for control and others don't or any number of unforseen quirks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do know that certain games will behave differently if a Classic Controller is connected, so it might be necessary to incorporate a toggle for the function. But I can't see how it'd be super complicated.

Beyond the speaker issue, there's questions of what happens if the pad is in pro controller mode and you turn it off? How does the Wii reassign the controllers? What if there are multiple controllers going? What about when a game prompts you to disconnect the pro controller? The Wii handled a lot of controller features on the fly and having the pad stand in for half a controller will disrupt that and how games interacted with it. There's some obvious workarounds but they would introduce a hurdle to people just picking up and playing.

Box of Bunnies posted:

'cept for us PALs who still get the benefit of upgrading to 60hz versions of most games.

No! People in PAL regions must suffer for not siding with the divine NTSC!

And SECAM people can just burn in the hell of their own making.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Not to mention the ENDLESS frigging Customer Service calls and the like if SOME Wii games get Pad support for control and others don't or any number of unforseen quirks.
As opposed to the endless CS calls they'll get from people who don't understand why the video can be output to the gamepad but the gamepad doesn't work????

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

DoctorWhat posted:

Blahblahblah

Valve Stark got the Steam Controller to map to every PC game in a cave.. WITH SCRAPS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

We don't even know HOW the Wii U is splitting the video signal in the first place, seeing as how the Wii hardware within the Wii U was (until now(?)) the devoted GamePad-management hardware.

I don't think this was ever speculated.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

As opposed to the endless CS calls they'll get from people who don't understand why the video can be output to the gamepad but the gamepad doesn't work????

There's a disclaimer right in the OS for that that's a solid-enough catch-all warning for the user. The equivalent would be a database of every Wii/WiiWare/VC game and how they cooperate with any GamePad options (which may be what they end up doing). In any case, Nintendo isn't going to leave it to end-users to "experiment" with what works, that's not their style (for better or for worse).

Sylpher posted:

Valve Stark got the Steam Controller to map to every PC game in a cave.. WITH SCRAPS.

PC and Consoles are so different in terms of the user experience AND available APIs and libraries that this isn't a remotely fair comparison. I guarantee that the Steam controller is going to have SOME comparability issues that the end-user is going to have to work around; that kind of requirement for the user to fiddle with configurations and drivers is unacceptable to Nintendo.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 1, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The home menu apps now have little loading animations/games. The one for the eShop is like that minigame from SMB3 where you have to line up a picture of a mushroom/flower/star.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

You can now capture screenshots at full resolution, not just GamePad resolution. Go to an image upload site on the browser while ingame, and if you try to do an upload it'll give you the option to upload the TV image.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

We don't even know HOW the Wii U is splitting the video signal in the first place, seeing as how the Wii hardware within the Wii U was (until now(?)) the devoted GamePad-management hardware. So until we know what "just the same" is, we have no idea how much overhead emulating a Wii Remote would require, what kind of lag that might introduce, or whether it can be done at all.

Do you have a source for that? I saw someone else post something similar (and I guess you did too in your post history) but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

From what I understand the Wii hardware in the Wii U is just a subset of the Wii U hardware, like the Wii CPU is basically just one of the Wii U CPU cores running at the lower Wii clock, and the GPU is part of (and seemingly mixed in with) the Wii U GPU. The gamepad hardware is new and separate from the Wii related stuff, which was the issue because in Wii mode the thing was locked out of Wii U features...until now apparently. The question has been whether Wii mode could ever have access to Wii U stuff, and if so, if Nintendo would allow it (for security reasons).

Supercar Gautier posted:

The home menu apps now have little loading animations/games. The one for the eShop is like that minigame from SMB3 where you have to line up a picture of a mushroom/flower/star.
I am way too excited for that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

japtor posted:

Do you have a source for that? I saw someone else post something similar (and I guess you did too in your post history) but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

From what I understand the Wii hardware in the Wii U is just a subset of the Wii U hardware, like the Wii CPU is basically just one of the Wii U CPU cores running at the lower Wii clock, and the GPU is part of (and seemingly mixed in with) the Wii U GPU. The gamepad hardware is new and separate from the Wii related stuff, which was the issue because in Wii mode the thing was locked out of Wii U features...until now apparently. The question has been whether Wii mode could ever have access to Wii U stuff, and if so, if Nintendo would allow it (for security reasons).

To be honest that's mostly been a kind of internet telephone, which is why I included the "(?)" in my post in the first place. If I'm wrong on that, and I could very well be, then so be it. That DOESN'T change that we STILL don't know the technical mechanism by which Wii A/V output is mirrored to the GamePad, and we therefore STILL don't know what technical challenges there may be in terms of GamePad control support.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nifty. Taito had a patent on playing games during loading screens which is why no one was doing it. I wonder if the patent expired, it's licensed, or if Nintendo's getting around it somehow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I thought it was Namco, and the patent only extended to playing actual games within loading screens (ie they were running Space Invaders during the Ridge Racer loading screens).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 1, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

To be honest, I love the off-TV Wii play, but I'm a little baffled as to how they tricked the Wii mode to use the Wii U's space age streaming tech but couldn't figure out how to trick it into thinking the gamepad was a classic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^I thought it was Namco, and the patent only extended to playing actual games within loading screens (ie they were running Space Invaders).

My brain when to Namco first, then I remember "Oh yeah, they had Space Invaders as one of the games! It must have been Taito!"

Looking it up, though, my first instinct was correct and it's Namco.

Edit: I need to include the obligatory "gently caress software patents!"

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I thought it was Namco, too.
But wasn't it Galaxian before I think a PS Ridge Racer? (Since Space Invaders = Taito)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I guess this guy is a big gaming news person in Australia?:
https://twitter.com/VOOK64/status/384855469115707393

quote:

Remember Miiverse and the eShop are just websites, updating the firmware is only half the part. Expect more news tonight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

My brain when to Namco first, then I remember "Oh yeah, they had Space Invaders as one of the games! It must have been Taito!"

Looking it up, though, my first instinct was correct and it's Namco.

Y'know, I never made the Taito/Space Invaders connection for whatever reason. Maybe it was actually Galaga and we're all remembering incorrectly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Project Zero 2 looks good on the gamepad! Sadly you can't change the pad's brightness once Wii Mode is booted. Also I immediately started trying to tap Wii Menu icons like an idiot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While it's a pain to use a classic controller while having the gamepad set to the side, it was fun to play Megaman 9 on a portable system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a feeling they'll say that gamepad support is coming for Wii Mode but that it just wasn't ready for the fall update. Someone was able to get the gamepad recognized as a PC controller so it can be done.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Maybe they don't have the gamepad register as a classic controller because in most games that support multiple controllers, the way you switch to the classic controller is by plugging it in. So if the gamepad is seen as a classic controller, then it's always plugged in, and there's no way to switch to a different control scheme if you prefer it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So do you need to point the Wiimote at your TV if you use offscreen play?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Aphrodite posted:

So do you need to point the Wiimote at your TV if you use offscreen play?

The gamepad has a built-in sensor bar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Maybe they don't have the gamepad register as a classic controller because in most games that support multiple controllers, the way you switch to the classic controller is by plugging it in. So if the gamepad is seen as a classic controller, then it's always plugged in, and there's no way to switch to a different control scheme if you prefer it.

That would be the worst possible reason, especially since all it would require is a "use gamepad as Classic Controller Y/N" option.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think it's just a matter of setting up an accessible part of the UI to toggle it from.

I think they're limited in what settings can be altered within Wii mode. For example, you can't toggle Gamepad display while Wii mode is running; instead, there's a screen where you select it when you start the mode up. Maybe the same screen should also have a "Set Gamepad as P1 Classic Controller?" option.

Also notable:
-The Gamepad still can't be used to turn the console off while it's in Wii mode, suggesting there's actually an input communication hurdle to get around.
-There IS a little overlay message that appears saying "Wii software cannot be controlled with the Wii U Gamepad" if you try to press any Gamepad buttons, but I can't tell if the console is sensing input and displaying that, or if it's part of the Gamepad's own firmware. (EDIT: fiddling around, I'm pretty sure it's the latter and that the console itself isn't receiving any input data)

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 1, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ok so I played Megaman 9 on the gamepad and it's great!
I hope they do plan on making it gamepad usable for VC games at the fair least, playing paper mario on the toilet would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
Theyre going to announce Skies of Arcadia 2 tomorrow, right? Right?

• Locked thread